Posted By: Sniper

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 05:26 PM

Did you forget this?

[Linked Image]

Or maybe the catbox Charger?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 06:28 PM

The 06-10 car was designed before it even had a name, it was going to be called interceptor before they figured out they'd save around 200 million by calling it a charger. Same thing with the dart, it was to be called Arei (area)
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 06:46 PM

This is the 1999 Charger Concept car, the one they SHOULD HAVE built.

Attached picture 1999-Charger(Medium).jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 06:51 PM

That with 2 doors would have been alright.

I like the silver colored 1999 Power Wagon concept truck they made.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
This is the 1999 Charger Concept car, the one theySHOULD HAVE built.

It was one of the first things the Germans killed, then a few years later they came out with this

[Linked Image]

They simply stole the 4dr coupe idea and kept it for themselves. The rooflines of both cars are nearly identical
Posted By: topside

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 07:05 PM

Seems to me they're missing the boat by not making an updated '68-'70.
With restomod 2nd-gen & current Challenger and Charger performance model prices being what they are.
But they'd have to do bumpers and/or covers that would probably ruin the lines.
Or they'd make it look too boxy, with mail-slot windows, like the current stuff.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 07:08 PM

If you read the story of the guy who designed the second generation Charger Richard Sais,you wouldn't believe how close the second generation Charger design was to being scrapped! The guy in charge of the Dodge styling department hated the design and want it scrapped,fortunately Bill Brownlie took vacation,and his boss saw the clay mockup in the studio,and loved it! He told Sais and the others to keep working on it,and he said,that's what a Dodge muscle car is supposed to look like. Brownlie was pissed when he returned to find the mockup still in the studio and finished,and was even more pissed to find that his boss loved the design of it! They had the gas cap in the middle of the rear tail panel on the mockup,and Brownlie ripped it off the rear of the clay mockup,placed it on the top of the left rear quarterpanel,turned to Sais and said this belongs here! Brownlie took the acolades for the design,and Sais got little to no credit for the design,he left Dodge styling soon after. He paid the price for going over his bosses head! As for the Charger III There was a fiberglass prototype of the car built for Chrysler by Grand Spalding Dodge. It was recently discovered a few years ago.
Posted By: topside

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 07:13 PM

There was a funny car body of the topic car, Al VanderWoud (Flying Dutchman) if I recall correctly.
Probably mangled his name.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by topside
There was a funny car body of the topic car, Al VanderWoud (Flying Dutchman) if I recall correctly.
Probably mangled his name.

I saw it at my first NHRA drag race at Bristol in 1970, cool car! The molds for the Charger III were sitting in Chicago a few years back, don't know if they were ever saved. There is another Charger III body hanging from the rafters in a car collection in Iowa... whistling
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 10:21 PM

I never cared for that '99 concept. I always wanted more of a 4 door looking car and for styling of this type to be for 2 door cars. I really like what they ended up with in '06
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Did you forget this?

[Linked Image]

Or maybe the catbox Charger?

[Linked Image]

Can't say these were never made - they WERE made!

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/03/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

Can't say these were never made - they WERE made!

Title clearly states that the worst Charger wasn't made. I dispute that, there are two worse Chargers that were made.

Now had it stated "of all the Chargers never made this was the worst" you'd be correct.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 12:51 AM

I would put up my 85 Shelby Charger turbo 5-speed against ANY other Charger made before in the twisties, and probably would do just fine in straight line performance with most too... tonguue Not now of course, it don't look so hot nowadays... frown
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Like a Charvette.

Matchbox made a replica of the Concept Charger, here's a picture.

Mike.

Attached picture Matchbox Concept Charger.jpg
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 04:07 AM

It actually looks like they took some of the ideas from the 1999 concept like the rear quarter panels and the side scoops in the doors and used them on the 2011+.
The front end looks more 90s camaro then charger.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 04:12 AM

The 99 Charger was the best of both worlds. A 4 door that looked like it had two. Would’ve been an instant success, heard many positive comments on it back then. GM not long after made a GTO throwback that got rave reviews. Then they screwed the pooch with the Aussie grand am thing they trotted out.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 04:14 AM

It would beat 2/3 of most things youd find on the street in 85 light to light and thats sad.... including a lot of ragged out old mopars, fords, and chevy junk.

Clutch sucked, brakes sucked. Hell I burned both up just trying to stay close to the faster cars racing just to watch the race. My brother never let me drive his much after that happened and I wanst mad about it either. But a fun car to beat on.

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I would put up my 85 Shelby Charger turbo 5-speed against ANY other Charger made before in the twisties, and probably would do just fine in straight line performance with most too... tonguue Not now of course, it don't look so hot nowadays... frown
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 04:24 AM

I went up against a '69 Charger with an RHS (remember them) 440 engine in it with my '85 Daytona Turbo I manual. Stayed with him through my first two gears and after that all I saw were taillights.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 07:32 AM

At the very least, if development had continued Chrysler would have eventually wound up with a Supercar like the ME412. The thing looked like it was "Charging".

Nope. Cordobas called "Chargers", K cars called "Chargers" and 4800 pound recycled Mercedes platforms called "Chargers" is what we got instead.

No one is more guilty of milking the past than Chrysler Corp on the Charger name.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
At the very least, if development had continued Chrysler would have eventually wound up with a Supercar like the ME412. The thing looked like it was "Charging".

Nope. Cordobas called "Chargers", K cars called "Chargers" and 4800 pound recycled Mercedes platforms called "Chargers" is what we got instead.

No one is more guilty of milking the past than Chrysler Corp on the Charger name.

Zero chance of the ME412 hahahaha. They built the Viper which rocked for a while but fell behind in comfort and drive-ability to a market of people wanting fast cars over $100K.

The 2006 4 door Charger sold over 114,000 unites and 2007 was around 200K. 15 years later its still selling hard as GM only offers the Malibu 4dr and 2 Cadillac models. Ford has none discounting that electric weird Mustang thing. Hate the cars all you want, its excellent marketing for the current market.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by DirectSubjection

Zero chance of the ME412 hahahaha. They built the Viper which rocked for a while but fell behind in comfort and drive-ability to a market of people wanting fast cars over $100K.

The 2006 4 door Charger sold over 114,000 unites and 2007 was around 200K. 15 years later its still selling hard as GM only offers the Malibu 4dr and 2 Cadillac models. Ford has none discounting that electric weird Mustang thing. Hate the cars all you want, its excellent marketing for the current market.

I would just comment that many times it's not what you did, but what you could have done.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 01:20 PM

The Charger never hit the lows of the Challenger.

Attached picture 6D149EB9-2955-474F-A4E2-3385934EC018.jpeg
Posted By: Moparite

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 02:55 PM

They desecrated the name by putting it on those 4 door THINGS!
Here is my vote...

[Linked Image]
https://www.supercars.net/blog/1964-dodge-hemi-charger-concept-car/
Posted By: klunick

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Seems to me they're missing the boat by not making an updated '68-'70.
With restomod 2nd-gen & current Challenger and Charger performance model prices being what they are.
But they'd have to do bumpers and/or covers that would probably ruin the lines.
Or they'd make it look too boxy, with mail-slot windows, like the current stuff.

This has been my thinking lately also. If they came back out with a 68' I'm sure they could probably sell over 100k in a year. Little design work and could use all the new suspension and engine stuff from today. Restomod. Same with Camaro's. Don't know what GM is doing with that crapbox but the solution is easy.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 03:22 PM

C'mon man, hows about the Charger 225 slant six! biggrin
Posted By: basketcase

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 03:29 PM

makes me think of a Corvette.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 04:31 PM

I don't think it's "milking the past" I think it's "marketing". They are a for profit corporation not sentimentalists. And yes it has four doors but be glad it's a rear drive platform with big power available! They can't have a two door Charger and Challenger!

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 05:35 PM

Just read challenger outsold mustang for Q2.

Wild. I remember back in 2009/2010 the camaro and mustang were selling 100k a year and challenger was down around 35k and that is all Chrysler expected from it. Ram just outsold F150 in Q2 as well
Posted By: justinp61

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/04/21 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
C'mon man, hows about the Charger 225 slant six! biggrin

iagree Guys seem to forget that not all Chargers were performance optioned. My wife and I have a 14 V6 Charger and it’s been a very good car. It got almost 28 mpg on our last trip and it’ll blow the doors off any bone stock 318 powered Charger from the performance era, probably the 383 2bbl versions too.

I'm not a huge Charger fan, didn’t care for the 66-67’s but like them better than the 71 and up.
Posted By: ink

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/05/21 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Like a Charvette.
looks like it stolen from speed racer ??
Posted By: bobby66

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/06/21 09:39 AM

"Charger" sounds like the perfect name for an electric car. stirthepot
Posted By: Moparite

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/06/21 10:39 AM

They can't have a two door Charger and Challenger!

Why not? They did back in the day. I don't get the 4 door craze! Sit and watch how many cars go buy and how many of them have more than one person in them? They should offer it in two and four door but then again a "Charger" was never a four door car. They should have called it something else and never used the "Charger" name! You don't see 4 door Mustangs and Camaros do you?

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/06/21 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Moparite

Why not? They did back in the day. I don't get the 4 door craze! Sit and watch how many cars go buy and how many of them have more than one person in them? They should offer it in two and four door but then again a "Charger" was never a four door car. They should have called it something else and never used the "Charger" name! You don't see 4 door Mustangs and Camaros do you?

This is a Mustang.

Attached picture sokane_210121_4386_0008.0.jpg

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/06/21 02:45 PM

Before chevy does the same thing with the camaro (making it a 4dr CUV-thing) they should really consider putting it on hiatus and bringing back the chevelle. Chevelle was a coupe, convertible, 4dr sedan, wagon, truck - nobody could complain about what they did with a new version. It could be its own brand like Ford is doing with the Bronco.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/06/21 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6776
Before chevy does the same thing with the camaro (making it a 4dr CUV-thing) they should really consider putting it on hiatus and bringing back the chevelle. Chevelle was a coupe, convertible, 4dr sedan, wagon, truck - nobody could complain about what they did with a new version. It could be its own brand like Ford is doing with the Bronco.

They opted to revive the Impala name instead, it was a coupe, sedan, wagon, convert too.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/06/21 03:25 PM

They opted to revive the Impala name instead, it was a coupe, sedan, wagon, convert too.

Yeah but that was just a fwd family car. I mean as a performance replacement for the ailing camaro that's about to get the axe, bring it out as a crazy fast electric coupe with retro styling and then branch it into different models and lower performance, 4dr, CUV, even an el camino again, AWD, lifted - re-invent it. It would be fresh and chevy needs that right now, switching the already un-loved camaro to electric only isn't a route I'd take
Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/07/21 04:30 PM

I had a new '85 Charger that was so bad I traded it after seven months for an Oldsmobile and didn't buy another new Dodge (truck) until '96.

I should have known something was wrong when the dye from the steering wheel came off in my hands and the radio quit working while I was driving it home from the dealer.

It was just the beginning of living with a sh!t car and even sh!ttier dealer "service"...

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/07/21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66
It's coming whether we like it or not. I love the name "Fury". What a cool car name. It'd take awhile to get used to Dodge in front of it but let's have another Fury.
Posted By: GY3

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/07/21 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hrtbkr
I had a new '85 Charger that was so bad I traded it after seven months for an Oldsmobile and didn't buy another new Dodge (truck) until '96.

I should have known something was wrong when the dye from the steering wheel came off in my hands and the radio quit working while I was driving it home from the dealer.

It was just the beginning of living with a sh!t car and even sh!ttier dealer "service"...

I bought an '87 Charger 2.2 in '90. The seats were the only redeeming quality. The rest of it was a steaming pile.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/07/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by bobby66
It's coming whether we like it or not. I love the name "Fury". What a cool car name. It'd take awhile to get used to Dodge in front of it but let's have another Fury.

X2 start using things from Plymouth or sell it to someone that will. Plymouth could be a cool little EV start up, duster, roadrunner, cuda, barracuda, - bring them all back. If someone can get away with selling this without airbags or any other safety stuff then someone can bring back 70's muscle

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 07/07/21 10:02 PM

The Plymouth Laser has potential for the electric market .
Posted By: volaredon

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/26/21 11:45 PM

I'll keep my B body Plymouth fury 2 door, thanks. Even with "only" a 318.

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/27/21 02:22 AM

And in 2005 the Neon sold 128,396 units but they axed it. I don't get your point.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/27/21 02:38 AM

Just read challenger outsold mustang for Q2.

Wild. I remember back in 2009/2010 the camaro and mustang were selling 100k a year and challenger was down around 35k and that is all Chrysler expected from it. Ram just outsold F150 in Q2 as well

Is that because buyers think it's a better truck or because you can actually buy one?

F150's are pretty much made of unobtanium in my part of the world.

Kevin
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/28/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite

This post reminds me of a "Charger" I saw on a Mecum auction not too long ago. Apparantly an aftermarket shop built a 2 door '69/70 style Charger from a late model Challenger platform/body. It was all black and looked nice...on T.V. anyway? Anybody else see that car I am refering to? I can't remember if they mentioned the name of the shop that built it?

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/28/21 04:48 PM

Bingo!!!
Posted By: Gtxxjon

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/29/21 03:38 PM

Got to be the SuperCharger!

I know a guy who knows the guy who owns it and wants to make another... realcrazy spank puke

Attached picture 1970_Dodge_Super_Charger_concept_Mopar_01.jpg

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/29/21 03:41 PM

Then more recently the 'Blue Collar'' Charger... coffee

But it kinda grows on you? bawling

Attached picture maxresdefault (3).jpg

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/29/21 03:47 PM

They nearly made this in 65?

Looks like a Euro nightmare... fan

Attached picture 65 Charger.jpg

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/29/21 03:48 PM

But hey, if this comes out next year I reckon it will sell well... beer

Ratman and Bobbin...

Attached picture Dodge-Charger-RT_Muscle-Car_Concept_Car.jpg

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/29/21 03:50 PM

Now I just love a 71 car myself, but this is a bit too stretched for me... popcorn

Attached picture 1971-Dodge-Charger-RT-Daytona-Concept-Car.jpg

Re: The worst charger was never made? - 11/29/21 03:55 PM

The worst is yet to come says Tim?

EV Charger with a Charger...nice PUN Tim... help

Attached picture 2024-Dodge-Charger-EV-Electric-Muscle-Car-1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums