Moparts

Newspaper boxes used as scoops?

Posted By: 6PAX

Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 01:36 AM

Does anyone remember a time when people used newspaper boxes for carb. scoops? I have a couple of boxes, one of which has never been used (Detroit News) and a guy I was talking to said people used to use them as scoops. I never heard of this.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 02:01 AM

In the late 50s and early 60s it was quite popular. They were cheap easy to mount and collected a lot of air above the hood boundary layer.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 02:38 AM

Lately I've seen several local rat rods running them setting on top of roots blowers.

Always makes me smile....
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by wingman
Lately I've seen several local rat rods running them setting on top of roots blowers.

x2 up
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 03:30 AM

Detroit News you say? Hmmmm............

[Linked Image]

I remember seeing them in the mid-'70's as well.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 08:19 AM

Saw quite a few of them at US 30 in the late '70s-early '80s.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 12:03 PM

'Support Drag News' decals were proudly displayed on many of those cars at US30 that had newspaper box scoops. thumbs
Posted By: 360view

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 12:19 PM

I need one of those newspaper boxes for the original purpose: to keep the newspaper dry.

Does anyone still sell them?

Even double wrapped in those super thin plastic bags when thrown onto the driveway a tear always happens and the paper is waterlogged in no time.p

I have drape the wet paper over trash cans with a fan blowing air toward it.

Do not ask me what happened when I tried to experiment to microwave it dry.
worked good at first, but I kept increasing the power.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by wingman

X3 up

Seen a couple the last few years around here. Knew a guy that made a scoop out of part of a 55 gal. drum that looked damn good on his Duster. thumbs

Tim
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/02/21 06:06 PM

Here's another example.

Attached picture Buds Beast4.jpg
Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/03/21 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by 360view
I need one of those newspaper boxes for the original purpose: to keep the newspaper dry.

Even double wrapped in those super thin plastic bags when thrown onto the driveway a tear always happens and the paper is waterlogged in no time.p

Have you called the paper in question and asked for one? Most daily's have them for their motor routes. Newspaper delivery was my dad's business and I have several still around, including some old metal ones. I have a couple plain brown plastic ones...
Posted By: 360view

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/03/21 10:31 AM

Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread.

I have actually been banned from a Mopar related website for daring to write about what makes for a good design intake.

Where is the best airstream on the vehicle to locate the inlet opening, and what direction should it face.

For a given sized engine, rpm, volumetric efficiency, and vehicle speed, how big should the opening be

what should be the volume of the “plenum” surrounding the carb or FI inlet to intake manifold.

what is the “ram air effect” and what simple math equation gives an estimate of it

does air flow smoothly into the engine like water does coming out a garden hose, or is it better to think of the air chopping and pulsing as extremely as the gases coming out of a machine #un barrel

do most production air inlets contain a “hidden muffler”

if you mount a KN style cone filter on a pipe and sell it at a 500% markup as a miracle horsepower improver are you a friend or predator to other forum users

you can get banned for discussing these subjects, or maybe I should now use the word “cancelled”
Posted By: moparx

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/03/21 02:51 PM

if you can't find one of those boxes, a simple piece of 4" plastic pipe "xx" inches long with a cap on the back side works good, and will only cost a couple of bucks.
make a couple of simple band clamps from thin 1" strap material, and bolt it to the bottom or side of your mail box.
slightly angle it downward at the front to keep the water out, or drill several holes in the bottom of the pipe.
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/03/21 05:47 PM

I have actually been banned from a Mopar related website for daring to write about what makes for a good design intake.

Where is the best airstream on the vehicle to locate the inlet opening, and what direction should it face.

For a given sized engine, rpm, volumetric efficiency, and vehicle speed, how big should the opening be

what should be the volume of the “plenum” surrounding the carb or FI inlet to intake manifold.

what is the “ram air effect” and what simple math equation gives an estimate of it

does air flow smoothly into the engine like water does coming out a garden hose, or is it better to think of the air chopping and pulsing as extremely as the gases coming out of a machine #un barrel

if you mount a KN style cone filter on a pipe and sell it at a 500% markup as a miracle horsepower improver are you a friend or predator to other forum users

you can get banned for discussing these subjects, or maybe I should now use the word “cancelled”

People don't like having their biases refuted.
Posted By: topside

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/03/21 07:10 PM

^^^ Yeah, just look at all the (essentially) hot-air intake stuff K&N and etc sell...

The mailbox thing ? Heck, we'd get a laugh out of seeing those 50 years ago !
I figured it was for humor's sake, like plywood rear wings...
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/03/21 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

People don't like having their biases refuted.

Many people are afraid to experiment too. They want it served up on a silver platter.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/04/21 02:35 AM

I saw 3 at Mason Dixon last night. Mine and 2 others. Cheap, work great. I guess I could spend 250 for a lexan scoop.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/04/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar

Have you called the paper in question and asked for one? Most daily's have them for their motor routes. Newspaper delivery was my dad's business and I have several still around, including some old metal ones. I have a couple plain brown plastic ones...
Those scoops route the air into carb and really deliver a boost. Hahaha
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/06/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

My car is 2 tenths faster with it. Like I said you spend 250 for a nice lexan scoop.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/06/21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

"route" air...."deliver" a boost. Okay, corny.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 07/08/21 01:28 AM

here is one

Attached picture mailbox.jpg
Posted By: Stroker

Re: Newspaper boxes used as scoops? - 08/10/21 04:03 AM

I somewhat remember one of the Petersen car mags having a Reader's Rides type section, in the early 80s.
One of the cars was some kind of Chevy with a "The Star" mailbox scoop.
It was different, and I thought it was funny.
It wouldn't have been as humorous with "The State Journal-Register" or something similar.
© 2024 Moparts Forums