Moparts

FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar

Posted By: KISSAlien

FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/24/21 02:49 PM

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/dodge-plans-to-reinvent-the-charger-challenger-muscle-car/
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/24/21 03:07 PM

Thats fine if thats the way things go. For many like me the journey ends with the hellcat. Lucky enough to have a hemi car as a first car to go into the mid 80-s still buying new 5.0s and Grand Nationals off the lot then to a mid 90-s zr-1 to today many of us could not of asked for more then to hit the best and the last. It dont get any better for a car guy imo.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/24/21 03:09 PM

They'll take the crown for quickest electrics, right now there are 2 that run 9.30's so expect Dodge to be aiming for 8's as crazy as that sounds
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/24/21 05:40 PM

"As for whether or not there’s enough rare earth minerals to go around for the auto industry to make batteries, that’s another conversation.

“We’ll leave that to smarter people,” he said."

Yeah, wait until the obvious becomes a crisis and then call on AOC for help. puke
Posted By: resqguy

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/24/21 09:53 PM

People act like electric cars were never in the market before, that no one ever produced them in the past. Yes, battery technology has come a long way but that doesn't mean that everyone will be driving EVs in the future. The only way that would happen if the internal combustion engine is outlawed. If the Feds try to abolish regular cars the local governments and states could just nullify the laws and pass sanctuary protection.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/24/21 11:30 PM

When everything goes electric, they might as well kill off anything that resembles a muscle car. Tesla’s sedans already crush just about everything on the market. But, Tesla’s have no soul and are boring. I respect the technology and understand that the ICE is going away. Just leave us with a few gas stations so we can keep American history rolling on the weekends..
Posted By: geo.

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/25/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21
When everything goes electric, they might as well kill off anything that resembles a muscle car. Tesla’s sedans already crush just about everything on the market. But, Tesla’s have no soul and are boring. I respect the technology and understand that the ICE is going away. Just leave us with a few gas stations so we can keep American history rolling on the weekends..

Agree on the boring part!
Cant stand it when people blather on and on about the "thrust" of an EV.
And some act like the fewer pedals the better?
OOO, I can drive with ONE pedal!
[censored]?
If you don't want a clutch pedal, brake pedal, or steering is too complicated for you, STAY HOME! and out of the way.
If you want to get me interested in an EV, make it more analog, fewer things to drain the battery, more range.
And why not a manual gear box, something to require more driver input, not less!
Do most people want to be passengers in their own cars? Not me!
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/25/21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by geo.

And why not a manual gear box, something to require more driver input, not less!

They don't have any transmission. And yes - these days most just want to be passengers.

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/25/21 03:30 PM

Here's one with a 4 speed

https://carbuzz.com/news/opel-reveals-the-manta-ev-in-all-its-retro-glory

Attached picture 846470.jpg
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/25/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DirectSubjection

They don't have any transmission. And yes - these days most just want to be passengers.

Manual transmission sales have been tanking for decades. My Grandfather drove 18 wheelers starting in the 1940's, he ranted about things like not needing automatic transmissions, PS, PB but was at the front of the line to get that stuff in 1958 with an Edsel Citation (lemon, go figure) and traded for a 1960 Lincoln Mk V. One of my uncles was a manual transmission proponent, he inculcated his daughter with the belief, she drove manual transmissions for decades, now she's driving an automatic. My second dually was manual, loved it, now that I'm retirement age and bad knees, sigh, no more clutches for me. FWIW, ,the shifting was getting really old in traffic.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/25/21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred
FWIW, ,the shifting was getting really old in traffic.

I agree. My personal car is a 6 speed, I have decide if i want to deal with it before using it.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/25/21 07:56 PM

[quote=1972CudaV21]And why not a manual gear box, something to require more driver input, not less!

The Jeep Magneto concept has a manual transmission.

Jeep's Magneto Concept Is the Fully Electric Wrangler of the Future

They don't HAVE TO HAVE transmissions. But I just attended a seminar by two aftermarket suppliers who are developing transmissions just for EVs. So don't count on transmissions going away completely.

Re: FWIW: Reinventing the musclecar - 05/25/21 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave
[quote=1972CudaV21]And why not a manual gear box, something to require more driver input, not less!

The Jeep Magneto concept has a manual transmission.

Jeep's Magneto Concept Is the Fully Electric Wrangler of the Future

They don't HAVE TO HAVE transmissions. But I just attended a seminar by two aftermarket suppliers who are developing transmissions just for EVs. So don't count on transmissions going away completely.

Some of the new transmissions coming will have the electric motor right in them. I guess we have yet to see which is best, motors right on the wheels, you could probably have a center diff motor too
© 2024 Moparts Forums