Moparts

Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/08/21 05:59 PM

Good afternoon everyone
The wife and I are going on vacation in San Diego in June. We are staying at a hotel on Mission Rd near the beach. I am looking for suggestions on good restaurants and fun things to do.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/08/21 06:34 PM

Go to the GasLamp district. Good restaurants there. Little Italy, Coronado Bridge, beach.
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/08/21 11:35 PM

I really enjoyed touring the docked Aircraft carrier USSMidway, and also the speedboat tour of the harbor.
Posted By: floyd

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 12:14 AM

San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park north of town.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by floyd
San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park north of town.

iagree Beautiful places! I also like Sea World San Diego, the only place in this part of the world to see Emperor penguins. The Midway and other ships there are great too. San Diego old town is neat
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 03:23 AM

The best idea I can give you "is stay out of California"
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 05:21 AM

The zoo.
Arguably the best in the world
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 01:03 PM

The Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park is time very well spent.
There's and auto musuem next store. Do that first.
Bring money if going to gas lamp district - it's pricey
Be wary if using the trolleys to get around - "beggars" at the stations.

Have fun
Posted By: floyd

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 01:49 PM

Hotel Del on Coronado is pretty iconic. Maybe grab a meal there. Point Loma and Sunset Cliffs are nice too.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 02:17 PM

Sitting on the beach at Coronado watching theSEAL trainees run up and down the beach
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 02:29 PM

Visit Del Mar, absolutely beautiful area and Torrey Pines State Park, drive north on the PCH, beautiful scenery, keep going as far as you feel like it. Day trip to Bug Bear is fun, also a beautiful drive. Cars and coffee events in the area and Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach on Saturday morning is great but a decent drive to get there from SD. Day trip to La Jolla is nice too, Dukes is a great seafood place for lunch or dinner there. Old Town is pretty cool to walk around ion too. The Auto Museum and Balboa Park plus the arboretum is really nice. SD Zoo is always fun.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 06:19 PM

All good suggestions so far.

I would add the following.

The WAP is now called San Diego Zoo Safari Park. It's in the same place and has the same stuff.

In my personal experience, the Gaslamp has changed from an all-ages destination [read: stuff for mature folk] into a thumpa-thumpa music clubbing scene, appealing mostly to the younger crowd.

There are innumerable fantastic craft breweries, both in San Diego proper, and in "North County" (Carlsbad-Vista-San Marcos).

Speaking of North County, Cruisin' Grand in Escondido should be up and running on Friday nights by that time. A good showing of vintage cars of all breeds.
There are other weekly car gatherings in the county with which I am not as personally familiar.

My biggest warning to June visitors to SoCal is June Gloom.
Out-of-staters from four season climates like Minnarusta think that Spring is the time of sunny, green rebirth.

Not so, here.

June can be one of the dreariest months of the year.
The broken record weather forecast is "Late night and early morning low clouds and fog along the coast, turning into hazy afternoon sunshine."
West of I-5, the fog may or may not EVER burn off during the day.
Your stay at the beach will not be the same as a visit to the gulf coast of Florida.
And regardless of the level of grey, the ocean water is fresh from Alaska.
Go just a few miles inland, and the weather will be significantly different.

I don't mean to tinkle in your Cheerios, but that's June here.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/09/21 08:28 PM

Sunrise Hwy, which heads north of of I-8 in the east county is nice. Cruise through the mountains, see some of the desert, end up in Julian, then take Hwy 78 west into my old hood, Ramona. From there you can either stay on 78 which takes you to the WAP then Escondido or take the 67 in Ramona back to the SD area. Palomar Mt with the observatory is neat. Borrego Springs for some desert action. Stay far away from Tiajuana unless you are with a VERY large group. If you've ever been to WAP in the past, they did away with the tram several years ago that allowed you to see an immense portion of the place. Now you have small buses that take you to a smaller area and if you want to see more you must upgrade to the inner tours. For sure Cruzin Grand in Escondido on Friday, 5pm on, is nice. Lots of eateries on Grand. There are some wineries in the county but not as many as in the Temecula area.
Posted By: Ashsdad

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/10/21 12:52 AM

My job sent me to Tijuana/San Diego quite a bit in the past.
All of the above suggestions are good. Balboa Park is a must do if on vacation.
I have a go-to place when I am in San Diego. Not touristy, not expensive. Cap's Pizza. Neighborhood type bar on the first floor of a long stay type hotel. I like it because a) the food is good, b) its not crazy expensive, c) other than when there was a Charger's game, it wasn't packed with people.
I second Little Italy. There is a restaurant in the back of a deli that serves huge portions of awesome food. I can't remember the name of it at the moment though.
Old Towne isn't really all that much. Last time I was there two of the store fronts were turned into a giant model train layout. Not sure if it still there, but if you have any interest in model railroading/Lionel, its worth a stop. The guy was operating on donations and souvenir sales. Not sure how well it was going for him.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/10/21 04:44 AM

The maritime museum is awesome
Posted By: SeaninSD

Re: Going on vacation in San Diego... looking for suggestions - 05/10/21 07:29 PM

Many good replies already.. I think you mean Mission Blvd stretching from Pacific Beach to south Mission Beach? Many good restaurants and bars in PB but definitely a younger crowd. World Famous is a good one and stop by Mr. Frosty for some dessert. La Jolla is a short drive north with higher-end restaurants and shopping and offers a cool ocean-wildlife experience. Mt. Soledad is up the hill from La Jolla and offers views and is a veterans memorial. The Birch aquarium is also a great stop assuming it's open. Glider port in Torrey Pines, Mission trails park with the various hikes, Cabrillo monument in Point Loma... I can go on and on. I've lived here my whole life and it's tough to run out of things to do or see. The June weather comment is spot on - high chance of marine layer the whole day especially at the beach.
© 2024 Moparts Forums