Moparts

Wheels Opinions

Posted By: JFChallenger440

Wheels Opinions - 05/01/21 05:12 PM

I’m thinking of buying some steel wheels with the dog dish caps to give my car a more factory type look ,
Can’t decide whether to paint the wheels black or paint them body colour ? Any opinions ? Below is how it looks currently, Centerlines will go into storage until I fancy a change again , if anyone has any pics of a 68-70 in my colour with colour coded wheels I’d appreciate it, many Thanks

url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image][/url]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Neil

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/01/21 05:18 PM

1970 cars would have had body colored steel wheels from the factory if that matters to you.

Wrong year car, but kinda what you'd be looking at.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-282957/1969-dodge-hemi-charger-500/

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/01/21 05:45 PM

Thanks , yeah that’s what I’m after , will probably go with fatter rear tyres compared to that one though
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/01/21 06:58 PM

I vote for body colored (coloured, LOL) wheels. That Charger looks great!

Attached picture index.jpg

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/01/21 07:29 PM

Looks good thanks

If it was black I would keep the centerlines for the meaner look but I think white may suit the colour coded steels better
Posted By: TJP

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
I vote for body colored (coloured, LOL) wheels. That Charger looks great!

I 'm a colored wheel guy and that 500 with the redlines is awesome IMO beer
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by JFChallenger440
I’m thinking of buying some steel wheels with the dog dish caps to give my car a more factory type look ,
Can’t decide whether to paint the wheels black or paint them body colour ? Any opinions ? Below is how it looks currently, Centerlines will go into storage until I fancy a change again , if anyone has any pics of a 68-70 in my colour with colour coded wheels I’d appreciate it, many Thanks

[Linked Image]

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... boring steelies... keystones / americans or cragars are the best
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ph23vo
Originally Posted by JFChallenger440

[Linked Image]

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... boring steelies... keystones / americans or cragars are the best

iagree

Keystone Klassics would be my choice.

I just don't get the put it back to just off assembly line look for wheels when what they had was the base stock cheapest hubcap look on a car that you're going to drive.

If it's going to sit on a pedestal and never be driven because it "too rare" I can understand, it's a trophy not a car.

If you bought a car new back then with the base steelie wheels it was because you were getting mags put on the next day.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 07:38 AM

Uhhh....

Attached picture Folsom 1.JPG
Attached picture Folsom 11.JPG
Attached picture Folsom 10.JPG
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 11:48 AM

How about factory mags?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 12:00 PM

I'll buck the trend. Answering your original question on steelies, with an all white car like yours I'd go with a red or blue (whatever matches the interior). If the interior is black I'd probably try red.
Posted By: topside

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 02:18 PM

Note that the OP is in England, and some choices might be really expensive there, though no budget was mentioned.
To my eye, it takes a pretty large wheel - 15x8 - to fill the wheelwells on 68-70 B-bodies and give them an appealing body/wheel relationship.
Plus, they were under-tired back then as pretty much all American cars were.
I could see a 17 or 18 but the OP wants to go with a more OEM look.
It would be cool to run something nobody else has, but a Charger in GB is pretty uncommon to start with.
Maybe have those Centerlines anodized red, or the Rallyes, or some big steelies, or a mag wheel that complements the body style...
To me, black wheels kind of disappear and lack interest.
I think some wheel sites might have a "configurator" to view a Gen2 Charger with different wheels.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 03:42 PM

i was going to suggest painting the centerlines the color of choice, but the OP's wheels look to be too nice to do that.
maybe it would be possible for him to pick up a grungy set of "?????" over there for cheap, then blast and paint those his choice of color ? shruggy
that would save an otherwise junk set of wheels, then he could sell his centerlines to recoup the cost, possibly making a couple bucks in the process.
beer
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 07:27 PM

First off I love the car and you should be proud to have it as your own. My take on a wheel change would be to widen as much as you could the steelies. Powder coat them and never worry again about oxidation. Can keep the redline as Coker makes plenty of tires to suit many needs.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/02/21 07:40 PM

I think black wheels would look best to contrast the light colored exterior
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/03/21 01:24 AM

The car looks great as it is, but since you asked...
I'd paint a set of wider steelies the same color as your interior, but I would skip the dog dish caps and just go with chrome lug nuts. Then add a set of raised white letter tires. My opinion is worth what you paid for it, nothing. Your car, you are the guy that has to look at it. Gene
Posted By: geo.

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/03/21 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Moparite
How about factory mags?

[Linked Image]

That beautiful car looks to have Year One 17" mags on it, NOT the 14"or 15" steel factory rallies.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/03/21 05:18 AM

I'd say with all sorts of wheels being reproduced now.... Cragars, Slots, Keystones.... let your imagination go!
Steelies and Doggies are sooooo 2004.
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/03/21 02:54 PM

Centerlines look best with blackwall out...thats what I would do.

Dave
Posted By: Neil

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/03/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
I'd say with all sorts of wheels being reproduced now.... Cragars, Slots, Keystones.... let your imagination go!

Cragars and Keystones especially look good on old Mopars, but I would not buy them as they seem to have issues with the chrome finish rusting/pitting/flaking.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/03/21 04:38 PM

I would go with factory style "Road wheels" . . . then again I am biased . . . grin Got 15x7 from Specialty Wheel (which was bought by Coker Tire), with powder coated black outer and need trim rings . . . NOT the 15x7 all chrome Mustang wheels. . . .

Attached picture Satellite2 Leth May 2013.jpg
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/03/21 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by That AMC Guy

And Centerline is a 1980s street racer.
But I like both looks.
There is also nothing wrong with slots my 1st set of rims were used slots and was one of the things that got me into sanding and polishing back in the 70s.
I moved up to 5 spoke chrome though for the White Trash street racer look with 50 series tires and High Jackets.
There is lots of good options to choose from except forget about Big Rims they have no place on old cars and trucks in my opinion.

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/04/21 03:05 PM

i agree ! no big wheels and forklift tires ! tsk
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/04/21 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
i agree ! no big wheels and forklift tires ! tsk
beer
I second no big wheels
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/04/21 10:31 PM

To each his own, but painted steelies and poverty caps totally destroy the look of a Mopar Muscle car. I feel bad for the poor cars that have to suffer that shame.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/05/21 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
To each his own, but painted steelies and poverty caps totally destroy the look of a Mopar Muscle car. I feel bad for the poor cars that have to suffer that shame.

iagree the Charger was expensive & the top of the heap for a Mopar B-body = OPTIONS $$$

wheel covers and/or wheels were an easy dress-up (I'm sure a few were ordered specifically to be "up-graded" to aftermarket wheel when new)

per the option & accessory report ONLY ~3.1% (~850) of the ~27,423 V8 Charger 500s (XP29) had hub caps

Re: Wheels Opinions - 05/05/21 03:45 PM

my charger has dog dish caps now, because at the time, i didn't have any wheels other than the steelies to use to get it back on the road in 2000. it had been parked since around 1985.
it then was parked from around 2007 until a couple of years ago, when it was removed from storage and i'm working to get it back on the road.
from 1971/2 until parked the first time, it wore keystone 5 spokes, cragar s/s, aluminum slots, and various other wheels.
this time around, the wheels will be different, but i haven't decided exactly what they will be.
i hafta' get it going first........... biggrin
beer

Attached picture IM001661.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums