Moparts

Weird Wix Filter Substitution

Posted By: njmopar

Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/27/21 10:02 PM

I usually order my filters from Filter1 and forgot about our new XJ when I did my bulk year order. Ordered a Wix 51085 off Amazon and got this. As I opened the box I thought someone was messing with me, seeing the white color.
I know I have seen Mann and Hummel on the recent Wix labels but this is a new one.
How they can say it’s the same filter spec given the obvious baseplate difference is beyond me.

Description: Made in USA and Germany
Attached picture 0B086293-663C-45ED-8FBE-17F36047A619.jpeg

Description: Note inside
Attached picture 26038D9F-90F4-4BA9-BF62-EAEBEAE5E27E.jpeg

Description: Comparison
Attached picture 9878D588-9CAE-4B12-8BD0-C4BF43F7C58B.jpeg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/27/21 10:23 PM

Says it has the same "fit and function" which is entirely possible.

What throws me off is where is it made?

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/27/21 10:29 PM

The comparison photo is a 51085xp but the non XP has same baseplate. Number of holes to me would have a different flow compared to the Mann.
I know Mann is a good company,just annoying to pay for one thing and get another.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/28/21 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by njmopar
The comparison photo is a 51085xp but the non XP has same baseplate. Number of holes to me would have a different flow compared to the Mann.
I know Mann is a good company,just annoying to pay for one thing and get another.

in case you're not aware of the supply chain BS going on, you might be lucky to have gotten one at all. No offense meant but no one seems to be talking much about the lack of availability on a lot of items twocents beer
Posted By: trw1982

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/28/21 02:06 PM

maybe you should look at napa on the 2 time yearly filter sale. napa gold is wix. they delete the 1st 5. 51085 is 1085. filter sale is usually approx 45-50 off.

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/28/21 03:37 PM

Yes, I know the Napa Gold is same and have bought. The price I got wasn't bad. I was just pointing out the weird substitution as I was surprised and a little annoyed on the change.
Filter1 (using moparts discount code) got me the right Wix filter in my bulk buy, at a great price.
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/28/21 03:40 PM

I am in the habit of opening the box when I purchase oil filters over the counter to make sure (1) it is not a "used" one and (2) that it is the correct filter. I've been buying Wix (esp 51085) at OReilly's and so far they have all been genuine and new!
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 04/30/21 12:20 PM

Just in case some here are unaware, WIX is owned by Mann-Hummell. Purchased a few years ago.

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 05/05/21 01:57 PM

Did not know that, thank you up

I was at my local O'Rielly's last night to get some 51085's. Of the three on the shelf, 2 were the Wix and the 3rd was an M-H with the labels shown the picture above.

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 05/09/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ron_M
Did not know that, thank you up

I was at my local O'Rielly's last night to get some 51085's. Of the three on the shelf, 2 were the Wix and the 3rd was an M-H with the labels shown the picture above.

Save the Wix for any application where you need to use a cap wrench (like my 300M, only way to get on motor). The traditional wrenches wont mate up to the M-H as it has all those extra fine splines and diameter is a hair smaller.

Re: Weird Wix Filter Substitution - 05/10/21 08:56 PM

LOL - I took the two Wix and left the M-H one. BTW, the Wix was used on my 3.5L LHS and I did use a cap wrench wrench

Though a grabber type might work too if the diameter is wide enuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums