Moparts

Dry ice cleaning for your car

Posted By: not_a_charger

Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 01:18 PM

Who knew? This seems like a great way to clean the undercarriage, etc, and would be a huge time saver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1WEfIAChJ0
Posted By: Cometstorm

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 02:30 PM

Don’t know what to say...

I would think that could threaten rubber and/or plastic integrity? shruggy
Posted By: A12

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 03:13 PM

shock shock

WOW Mike thanks for posting that up
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 03:56 PM

That is awesome but will it do rust and I'm sure if it gets used to restore old cars someone will ban or tax it because of CO2 emissions.

Thanks for posting
Posted By: A990

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 04:42 PM

The Air Force has been using dry ice for stripping paint for years. I do wonder if this would clean up aluminum manifolds and so forth so they could be clear coated rather than painted.
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 05:18 PM

Looks like it did a great job on "dry" dirt. I wonder how it would do with oily/greasy/sticky dirt?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 05:45 PM

We used dry ice blasters to clean stuff at one of my jobs. The dry ice doesn't leave any residue, whatever you are blasting off will though. We still had to use acetone to wipe of the residual from the parts.

Dry stiff like paint probably can just be blown off with air, wet stuff like oil, grease, etc will leave a film that still needs wiped down to remove it.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 08:03 PM

The wife works at True Manufacturing where they make commercial refrigerators many of which are all stainless steel.
They are insulated using spray expansion foam, they used blasted dry ice like that to clean the stainless steel to clean off what ever foam insulation squeezes out of the gaps at seams. If you're ever in a Walmart, Dollar General or a Starbucks and you see a cooler that says "True" on the front that's what they make.

It doesn't leave any marks behind like from scraping the foam away.
There is no way to remove a scratch from the stainless steel and it leaving no marks is a big deal to them since commercial refrigerators aren't cheap so they have to be perfect.
It melts away leaving no residue and is obviously food safe.

I hadn't ever thought about it being used to clean the underside of a car, but I can't see why it would be a problem.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 08:14 PM

The disaster restoration industry uses dry ice blasting for mold remediation.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/04/21 11:54 PM

The first time I ever heard of dry ice blasting was a local large food processing plant did that to clean their equipment. One of the maintenance guys is a friend and he told me about it. Absolutely no threat to food surfaces or contamination from blasting material. He said it made everything look like new.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/05/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by BSharp
Looks like it did a great job on "dry" dirt. I wonder how it would do with oily/greasy/sticky dirt?

I didnt watch the posted video, but if the individual performing the blasting is based out of California, I think he's from Germany? and knows his stuff. One of his videos takes you through the equipment involved and cost of his equipment. Some of his videos have oily greasy crusty garbage covering driveline assemblies and it cleans them beautifully. Also, I saw a comment about rubber and or plastic damage-- once again, watch all the videos related. It makes the material look brand new and does no damage.
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/07/21 01:24 AM

We have used it in the plants to for cleaning assembly lines and robots. Great idea for the undercarriage.
KID
Posted By: Caper1

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/07/21 08:05 PM

This article is from 2010 where they did 3 cars for their customer

https://www.nitrofreeze.com/dry-ice-blasting-for-auto-body-and-classic-cars/
Posted By: jcc

Re: Dry ice cleaning for your car - 03/08/21 05:28 AM

Its well known any removal of asbestos is currently suggested with a water component to keep dust controlled, what happens to the removed paint if no liquid or abrasives are used for it to stick to? Seems one problem cured to cause another?
© 2024 Moparts Forums