Moparts

Nice house in Illinois for sale!

Posted By: Rhinodart

Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 12:55 AM

Mopar related because it has a Pentastar in the middle of the brick driveway! $2.75 million with a 5 car garage overlooking it's own lake, I can only imagine what the property taxes are in Illinoise! It is within a few miles of my little shack, never knew it existed! shock Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright junior too!

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/416492036317520/?media_id=1&ref=share_attachment
Posted By: topside

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 02:23 AM

"Link not available".

With a lake, I can't imagine it's in Oak Park, where most of FLW's home architecture is.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 02:52 AM

I get a blank page. Would love to see it and share it with my Daughter....she lives in Des Plaines,is an architect and LOVES FLW work!
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 02:55 AM

Well shoot, it comes right up on my computer, didn't try it on a phone. Maybe you have to be logged into Farcebook? I am not savvy with that crapola... shruggy Here is another page with the house, this one says $3.9 mil
https://patch.com/illinois/grayslake/star-shaped-frank-lloyd-wright-home-selling-3-9m
Posted By: topside

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 03:34 AM

I was on my PC - don't use my phone for Moparts, or you guys would really be sick of me...
Came up with that new link, though.
Nice neighborhood...
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by topside

Nice neighborhood...

Unfortunately it's in the wrong State....
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 01:30 PM

For that kind of money , 5 car garage isn’t big enough
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 01:33 PM

Click

Much better website
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/23675-W-Chardon-Rd_Grayslake_IL_60030_M83048-76857
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 01:37 PM

Yikes...would want NOTHING to do with that place. Suspect heating it is a real treat. Couple that with being WAY outdated, water damaged ceiling and water damaged fireplace, looks like a real "gem"
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 01:49 PM

Wow. From the website.

Monthly costs with a 30 yr mortgage at 3% and $550,000 down.

Principal & Interest $9,271
Property Tax $4,917
Home Insurance $630
HOA
Mortgage Insurance $0

Total $14,817/month
Total $177,804/annually

Wow. With a monthly property tax bill that is more than my annual property taxes for both the house and the shop, this is totally out of my league. Wow.
Posted By: floyd

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 02:30 PM

I dig that living room vibe...

Attached picture 87FADD39-C7F2-45B8-8B8B-31334E46CFD4.jpeg
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 03:25 PM

That is a very cool place, thanks for sharing. I love the architecture and the decor of that era. I have seen similar house in Michigan and Wisconsin.
The eye popper was the yearly $60,000 USD Property Taxes.

Dave
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 04:11 PM

Where's Blofeld or 007?
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 05:07 PM

any Frank Lloyd Wright house is going to bring a premium
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Butterscotch71

ONLY to someone that cares. When I was in college, I spent quite a bit of time reading up on the guy and studying his efforts. Guy designed some things that were 'neat'. Not at all practical, but 'neat'. Fallingwater is an example of something that remains 'neat'. TOTALLY not practical for 99.999% of the real world, but neat. Town I live in has some homes that were designed by Alden Dow, who studied under Wright back in '33. His homes also are 'neat', but not something that I would ever chose to own. There is a certain snob appeal to the 'artsy' type folks with these places. For the same money, you could certainly create something that was WAY more functional and served a legit purpose.
Posted By: A12

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 69_SIX_PACK
That is a very cool place, thanks for sharing. I love the architecture and the decor of that era. I have seen similar house in Michigan and Wisconsin.

Dave

I doubt I could afford the equipment to mow the lawn, clear the driveway of snow, or properly maintain the property year round laugh2 Still nice but I'll take an old farm house or similar type home anytime. Those type houses just never struck me as a functional design....more artsy as noted. Speaking of "Falling Waters" anyone that has lived in the Southwestern PA area and felt the misery of a high humidity summer would never build a home with a stream running right through the middle of their living room realcrazy And I would bet that during the winter that stream would suck the heat right out of the house, again realcrazy Seemed like a good or artsy idea on paper laugh2
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 06:07 PM

I live in a custom Eichler home, so I can appreciate the design.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by 69_SIX_PACK

Dave

I doubt I could afford the equipment to mow the lawn, clear the driveway of snow, or properly maintain the property year round laugh2 Still nice but I'll take an old farm house or similar type home anytime. Those type houses just never struck me as a functional design....more artsy as noted. Speaking of "Falling Waters" anyone that has lived in the Southwestern PA area and felt the misery of a high humidity summer would never build a home with a stream running right through the middle of their living room realcrazy And I would bet that during the winter that stream would suck the heat right out of the house, again realcrazy Seemed like a good or artsy idea on paper laugh2

My first thought about the stream through the middle of the house is every bug and critter on the planet will probably want to be in your house come wintertime and you won't be able to stop them. At least that's my take.

I like some of the elements of the house the OP listed but it's kinda like Angelina Jolie. put too many nice features in one place it starts to look like a cartoon.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 07:16 PM

The bottom line is no matter how nice it is its still in Illinois.
Posted By: ricomondo

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 09:56 PM

I appreciate the house for its historical design, but $60K in TAXES??!!,
But I guess if you can afford the house, you can afford the taxes.
At the end of the day, it's still in crappy blue state IL......
Posted By: doggs330

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 10:27 PM

The ad is lacking on pictures and details, no view of the garage or indoor shooting range. I'd live in the guest house below the garage. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the kitchen. What could you possibly do with that many cupboards? I would go insane at the thought of 80% of them being empty (break out the label maker).
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/24/21 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by doggs330
The ad is lacking on pictures and details, no view of the garage or indoor shooting range. I'd live in the guest house below the garage. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the kitchen. What could you possibly do with that many cupboards? I would go insane at the thought of 80% of them being empty (break out the label maker).

Gotta put the Grey Poupon somewhere...

Kevin

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/25/21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by oldjonny

ONLY to someone that cares. When I was in college, I spent quite a bit of time reading up on the guy and studying his efforts. Guy designed some things that were 'neat'. Not at all practical, but 'neat'. Fallingwater is an example of something that remains 'neat'. TOTALLY not practical for 99.999% of the real world, but neat. Town I live in has some homes that were designed by Alden Dow, who studied under Wright back in '33. His homes also are 'neat', but not something that I would ever chose to own. There is a certain snob appeal to the 'artsy' type folks with these places. For the same money, you could certainly create something that was WAY more functional and served a legit purpose.

Yes, his houses are not for everyone. They are more about design than practicality...as are many houses that have modern designs. Not everyone that appreciates them is a snob. As an architect, I have a great appreciation for his work. No, it's not always practical but much of what he did was incredibly innovative for his time. Unfortunately, that sometimes translates to high maintenance costs. Falling Water has those incredible cantilevered concrete balconies that continue to inspire modern house designs today, but they have required extensive restoration through the years.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/25/21 03:45 PM

I am not sure it is a Frank Lloyd Wright house. Somewhere it said Jr. and another place it said Lloyd Wright. Perhaps a son.
Posted By: kwhmopar1

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/25/21 04:04 PM

Some pretty major ice damming going on.

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/25/21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
I am naot sure it is a Frank Lloyd Wright house. Somewhere it said Jr. and another place it said Lloyd Wright. Perhaps a son.

I missed that in the description...I take it back. On further investigation it seems the realtor was trying to hype the name. His son has little to no notoriety and his name attached to the house shouldn't add any premium.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Nice house in Illinois for sale! - 02/26/21 02:44 AM

A friend bought a house in our little town that was done by a FLW student. It's cool as hell and has lots of FLW elements to it but I don't think there was any premium in the price because of who designed it years ago.
© 2024 Moparts Forums