Moparts

window seats are overrated

Posted By: feets

window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 01:06 AM

A little in-flight entertainment on a Denver to Honolulu flight today.

Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 01:11 AM

shock

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 01:12 AM

Oopsie.

Attached picture 777 engine cowl.jpg
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 01:31 AM

Reminds me of a TACA (take a chance airlines) flight to Mexico City I was on years ago.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 02:21 AM

Looks like they didn’t shut the engine down. The Emergency shut down would have closed the fuel shut off valve. The presents of fire in the hot section indicates the engine was still getting fuel. Strange shruggy
Posted By: Redbird

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 02:23 AM

Bad as the engine looks, the wing looks not too good.

I realize this is a triple 7, but what about the 737 Max with the engines cantilevered forward of the wing too?

European Airbus is looking better every day.
Posted By: topside

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 03:01 AM

That's better than this one, which is less, uh, entertaining...

Attached picture jetengine.jpg
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 03:02 AM

The people with their kids in the playground are way to nonchalant about all the metal falling from the sky. I'd have grabbed the kids and bolted for the car. Kinda reminds me of when I was at a gas station and the trash can between the pumps burst onto flames. Half a dozen folks stood there looking at it dumbfounded while they continued to pump their gas.

https://youtu.be/SEAg3B_WUYs
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 03:04 AM

They said the failure took out the fire suppression and other systems, maybe they couldnt cut it off.

Originally Posted by Dabee
Looks like they didn’t shut the engine down. The Emergency shut down would have closed the fuel shut off valve. The presents of fire in the hot section indicates the engine was still getting fuel. Strange shruggy
Posted By: A12

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by feets
Oopsie.

What was that they used to say BOEING stood for....oh now I remember: Bits Of Engine In Neighbor's Garden

Really glad this had a good ending up
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 09:15 AM

"Daddy.... how far will this plane fly with only one engine?"

"All the way to the crash, son. Bet you we'll beat the ambulance there by a good 20 to 30 minutes...."
Posted By: jcc

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dabee

I suspect that is lubrication oil fed fire in the pic, not fuel.

I heard one unconfirmed report of the cause might be a drone strike/ingestion, but are there consumer drones with that altitude capability, in Denver?
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 04:30 PM

The fuel shutoff valve is usually in the wing root. Not sure where the hydraulic shutoff valve is, most likely in the same place. I don’t know how many quarts of oil that engine holds but it is over 10. The fire suppression system only tries to eliminate fire on the out side of the engine. Anything burning in the engine, including it eating itself, will not get extinguished.
Posted By: BSharp

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 04:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BSharp

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by RamblerMan
"Daddy.... how far will this plane fly with only one engine?"

"All the way to the crash, son. Bet you we'll beat the ambulance there by a good 20 to 30 minutes...."

Reminds me of the movie U-571 when the civilian intelligence guy asks the captain how deep the submarine will go. "Oh, it'll go all the way to the bottom if we don't stop it."
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 05:33 PM

My old boss, who is a private pilot always said "they have never left one up there"! work
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

I suspect that is lubrication oil fed fire in the pic, not fuel.

That would be my guess as well, looking at the front fan it did not look like the engine was running.
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
The fuel shutoff valve is usually in the wing root. Not sure where the hydraulic shutoff valve is, most likely in the same place. I don’t know how many quarts of oil that engine holds but it is over 10. The fire suppression system only tries to eliminate fire on the out side of the engine. Anything burning in the engine, including it eating itself, will not get extinguished.

Those engines have a supply and scavenge system. There's no way the oil could take the heat if it wasn't cooled, especially in the hot section bearing sumps.
Posted By: A990

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 07:38 PM

That fire is being caused by windmilling. So which is better, seizing or windmilling? The engine wobbling on the mounts isn't helping things either.
Posted By: theraif

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 07:47 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: topside

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 09:17 PM

^^^ Yeah, that's one of the 1st things that came to mind laugh2 !

I was on a flight out of Philly maybe 30 years ago that lost an engine on ascent, it shook the plane.
Girlfriend put a pretty good grip on my hand.
Pilot looped around fairly quickly and set it down, and the girlfriend & I spent the night in the airport.
This pilot looks like he kept climbing, but I suppose there are a couple reasons for that, like traffic.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
My old boss, who is a private pilot always said "they have never left one up there"! work

Take offs are optional.

Landings are inevitable.

shock
Posted By: A12

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/21/21 10:16 PM

Looks like a broken turbine fan blade scope

Attached picture BB1dRN6z.jpg
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 12:00 AM

I can just get Denver news with my 200 mile antenna and im shocked no one has brought up if they dumped fuel, they had to have had a good load on going to the islands. Maybe??

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 12:53 AM

Yes, it's pretty clear this was an uncontained engine failure.
Posted By: TJP

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 01:59 AM

Just saw this news clip,

Grounding 777's ?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 03:23 AM

I'm going to go ahead & armchair quarterback this: there was a mechanical failure that was unforeseen.

And BTW, I'd rather fly a Boeing than an AirBus. AirBus is a very finicky plane to fly, & they are built to be cheaper than Boeings.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 05:17 AM

I'll just stay on the ground. What doesn't go up doesn't need to come back down.
Posted By: wingman

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Redbird

I realize this is a triple 7, but what about the 737 Max with the engines cantilevered forward of the wing too?

What are you talking about? The fact the the engine is mounted forward of the leading edge of the wing? Every modern aircraft with wing-mounted engines is that way--including Airbus. Only way to get the weight and balance correct, plus a lot of other reasons.

I'll be interested in what the investigation reveals--but that will take some time. But I guess all the amateur internet aerospace engineers will have it figured out by the end of the day....
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
Originally Posted by Redbird

What are you talking about? The fact the the engine is mounted forward of the leading edge of the wing? Every modern aircraft with wing-mounted engines is that way--including Airbus. Only way to get the weight and balance correct, plus a lot of other reasons.

I'll be interested in what the investigation reveals--but that will take some time. But I guess all the amateur internet aerospace engineers will have it figured out by the end of the day....

Wing may look funny because the leading edge slats are deployed. With one engine, air speed would be limited, so pilot deployed forward slats and probably the trailing edge flaps to get some additional lift at low speed.

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
What doesn't go up doesn't need to come back down.

Is that what you tell her?

biggrin
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by feets
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
What doesn't go up doesn't need to come back down.

Is that what you tell her?

biggrin

laugh2 Ya got me on that one.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/22/21 11:50 PM

Although Im sure I would pucker up pretty good.

But it would not / will not stop me from buying window seats . Its the only way I fly
Posted By: jcc

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/23/21 12:23 AM

There are like 50? windows per side, why would one want to be inline with the turbine?
Posted By: A990

Re: window seats are overrated - 02/23/21 02:13 AM

This guy has a great channel for this stuff. He's a real 777 pilot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwNCCrjMmeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums