Moparts

Propane Shortage

Posted By: dart4forte

Propane Shortage - 01/11/21 11:38 PM

Anyone else experiencing a shortage of propane?

First, it’s toilet paper then chlorine tablets for the pool now propane.. eyes
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/11/21 11:42 PM

Predicted

I just seen my neighbor getting a big big tank filled. Not sure what it costs but I do know my gas bill is like 33 a month and 16 is service fees not actual gas.

Potential propane shortage this fall
By Dave Mowitz
7/20/2020

COVID’s grasp on the economy is being felt on propane supplies. And that could affect its availability this fall.

The potential problem with supplies is a result of people traveling less. About 20% to 25% of propane is created from crude oil refining (the remainder of production comes from natural gas wells). So reduced consumer travel this summer means less demand for gas which, in turn, is reducing refining and eventually causing crude oil wells to be shut down.

Last fall’s shortfall of propane led to emergency declarations covering nine Midwest states. But the 2019 harvest season dealt with an abundance of overly wet corn in fields, which strained the delivery of propane to the countryside. Otherwise, propane supplies were abundant in the rest of the country.

Mike Newland of the Propane Education & Research Council is strongly advising farmers to estimate their crop drying propane needs now and then contact their supplier to lock in a supply. “More corn and soybeans planted (this spring) means an increase in demand for propane, whether it’s used to power irrigation equipment or to help dry grain at harvesttime,” he adds. “Last year’s energy demand issues that played out at harvesttime across the Midwest are still fresh in everyone’s mind, which is why we’re reminding farmers of a few steps they can take now to prevent potential issues later.”

The Propane Council recently launched a Grain Drying Calculator tool to help producers determine the number of propane gallons needed each season using just three simple data points. The tool allows users to estimate the amount of propane each operation will require, making it easier to fill tanks early and prepare for supply needs prior to an increase in demand.

The silver lining in this potential dark cloud is that the average wholesale price of propane is trending around 40¢ less per gallon than a year ago. This creates the opportunity to lock in lower propane prices now before prices potentially increase this fall.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 12:09 AM

Where’s Hank Hill when you need him?
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 12:21 AM

Just had my tank filed Friday .. no issues here

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 12:39 AM

Watch propane stocks and it will let you know
Posted By: topside

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 01:10 AM

Propane's up to about 2.35 here, gas went from 2.05 to 2.15 in one day for 87.
I suspect it's related to the energy policy we're about to be saddled with...could be another factor though.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 02:46 AM

Propane since 1999 when we built our house

This winter under contract $1.09 Gallon in WI

I was more concerned about shortage of delivery drivers during COVID then I was shortage of Propane
Posted By: Jer

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 05:03 AM

Propane here is about $2.70. I use oil in the house and shop. Just after the election I filled the house and shop tanks at $1.89/gal. Last week, knowing what's coming, I topped off both tanks - now at $2.40/gal.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 08:24 AM

I had the propane tank (500 gal) filled right at the New Year, $1.69 a gallon.
They were expecting it to go up as time progressed.

They getting ready to set a new 500 gallon tank by the new garage, it has radiant floor heat with a propane fired boiler.
Hopefully the price won't skyrocket too much before they set and fill it.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 12:40 PM

Shortage? .. might I suggest - fiddlesticks !

The last “shortage” I experienced was about 10 years ago in Michigan... luckily I was heating mostly with wood at that time.

People in the U P froze to death because of this ... the only shortage was the suppliers shortage of profits.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 12:46 PM

u guys in the midwest are making out like bandits.... 1.69 a gallon..WOW... i filled up 2 weeks ago (long island ny), and paid 2.06 a gallon- and my 1000gall tank took 625gallons- hopefully the winter is mild, and i get thru most of feb...

and the 2.06 was the cheapest i found... since i own the tank, i can buy from anyone...
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 12:49 PM

I don't see why there is a shortage. The farmers had a good drying season for the crops and it has been a relativity dry winter here in the Midwest. Maybe they have a huge reserve and are trying to drive prices up.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 04:55 PM

Cannot believe I am the first in on this. Its Trump's fault.

Wrong forum
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 06:05 PM

I sure hope not! My ballooning will surely be effected but then I only have a 20 gallon tank in the basket that I use maybe 15 gallons per flight. I just fueled up last week and was only 1.80 per gallon.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 06:41 PM

My tank was filled in november or december. With my luck it'll need to be filled again when my driveway is a ski slope and they'll skip me for a while.
I haven't heard anything about propane shortage yet. There was more talk about that last year when the terrorist protestors were blocking the rail lines up here. Yeah, they deserve to be called that when they were dousing the tracks and trains in gas as they were driving by starting them on fire realcrazy
Posted By: jcc

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/12/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldjonny

Wrong forum

Try to focus and keep up.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/13/21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by oldjonny

Wrong forum

Try to focus and keep up.

Wow...a sentence from you that actually made sense. I am putting this on the calendar as the first!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/13/21 03:28 PM

No shortage here. $1.05 a gallon when we had our 1000 gallon tank topped off in December. The crazy thing is our Vegas house is $3.79 per gallon for propane. The price difference is huge, but not alot of folks on Propane in Vegas and around here id say its probably the go to for heating.
Posted By: PLATINUM6BBL

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/15/21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by hotairballoonpilot
I sure hope not! My ballooning will surely be effected but then I only have a 20 gallon tank in the basket that I use maybe 15 gallons per flight. I just fueled up last week and was only 1.80 per gallon.

You carry a 100# propane cylinder in the hot air balloon?!
Posted By: MoparsnMissiles

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/15/21 07:50 PM

Filled up the shop tank this morning. $1.359 per gallon here. That's the Ag price.

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/15/21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by MoparsnMissiles
Filled up the shop tank this morning. $1.359 per gallon here. That's the Ag price.

all i can say is holy-crap-ola.... u guys in the midwest r lucky...
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/17/21 07:35 PM

You upper midwest guys better watch out Michigan's governor doesn't get Enbridge Line 5 shut down, or your propane shortage will get real serious.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/18/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by PLATINUM6BBL
Originally Posted by hotairballoonpilot

You carry a 100# propane cylinder in the hot air balloon?!
No I carry a tank that holds 20 gallons of fuel. My total basket weight is about 429 pounds fully fueled. That includes the basket,instruments,uprights ,burner, and the tank and fuel. It is not like a normal stand up 100 pound tank and cover. It is a lay down tank. pics are what mine looks like

Attached picture TankCovers.htm_txt_20TCStlHandles.gif
Attached picture 20TankOldCvrInBasket.jpg
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/19/21 12:15 AM

Nice set-up wave ronnie
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/19/21 01:44 AM

I just paid $1.39 a gallon to have my house and shop tanks filled.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/21/21 03:20 PM

Just got my bill from the Co-Op .. $1.25 a gallon , been easy winter so far .. I'll make it from here with ease heating house and shop
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/21/21 03:28 PM

I read recently there is a shortage in some areas of filled propane tanks. A number of restaurants set up outdoor dining tents heated by propane heaters due to indoor dining restrictions, and that caused a run on filled tanks in areas where restaurants are doing that.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/21/21 04:03 PM

And with such a warm Winter in WI , I might get by with only two fills instead of the usual three
Posted By: PLATINUM6BBL

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/29/21 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61
I just paid $1.39 a gallon to have my house and shop tanks filled.

that's an awesome price! Cheaper than it cost me to fill the 1000# tank here at the weld store!

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/30/21 01:49 PM

i'm down to 35pct in my 1k tank - so gotta get some within 10/14days - i'm afraid of calling around to get prices... but for sure here on long island the price will be mid 2's, maybe a couple of pennies less...
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/30/21 02:52 PM

Here in my ND town it's $1.14/gallon cash price. But that could change tomorrow,

Re: Propane Shortage - 01/30/21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Here in my ND town it's $1.14/gallon cash price. But that could change tomorrow,

can u ship me about 700gallons... i'll even pay a buck 25 a gallon

Re: Propane Shortage - 02/12/21 10:09 PM

just ordered a tank fill up as down to 25%- called '5' locals- cheapest was 2.20 a gallon - i figure they will deliver 600 gallons x 2.20... in a word...OUCH
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Propane Shortage - 02/13/21 12:27 AM

2.40 a gallon here in Washington. I wonder how much state taxes and region affect the price???

Re: Propane Shortage - 02/13/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
2.40 a gallon here in Washington. I wonder how much state taxes and region affect the price???

i think in ny its 2.5pct...
© 2024 Moparts Forums