Moparts

Next up : Steel shortage in 2021

Posted By: bigdad

Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 01:04 PM

I work as a traffic manager for a steel company, prices are on the rise ..fast and we have been rationed the amount we can buy in 2021 , based off 2020 purchases .. it is our normal slow time of the year so , no affect currently we bought everything we could for Jan and Feb and they closed purchases until March 1st now .

The expectation is lots of new white appliances being sold and new cars .. they got the 1st priority so it appears

If you are planning a new steel building better sign the contract and quick
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 01:33 PM

Interesting...Do you think scrap prices will go up bigdad? wave
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
Interesting...Do you think scrap prices will go up bigdad? wave

The answer to that is no due to politics and tariffs , a certain amount of scrap steel needs to be used to offset the carbon footprint however but, not like previously ..
Posted By: GY3

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 01:55 PM

I work for an HVAC supplier and quite a few of the brands (fortunately not the one we sell) are having shortages due to Covid.

Lots of contractors can't get A/C condensers and furnaces from their other suppliers.

We haven't been able to get mobile home furnaces for about 3 months now and some heat exchangers are on intergalactic backorder.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 01:57 PM

Tariffs will be gone on the 21 st of January China will be sleeping with the politicians again like a bunch of paid prostitutes. We’ll pay what China decides we need to pay. Back to the old ways.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 02:20 PM

Scrap price is up in my area, a brand new steel plant is in the plans, the two steel stocks I had been day trading are now up in price where I won’t venture.

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 02:22 PM

I have a couple of old buildings coming down. Has the old type wiring. I am going to strip the insulation before I sell the copper.
Posted By: azblackhemi

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
I have a couple of old buildings coming down. Has the old type wiring. I am going to strip the insulation before I sell the copper.

In Arizona they won't take copper wire if it's been stripped. This is the rule: Aluminum or Copper Wire
A Dealer shall not accept aluminum wire with a diameter of at least 3/8ths of an inch or any copper wire that has had the insulation removed and shall not remove insulation from the wire until after the 7 day hold period unless the Seller is an Industrial Account or another Dealer. Your state might be different but I thought I'd mention it.

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 02:53 PM

Just a sample from a scrap yard in my are.

Attached picture 363C9480-6947-4568-97EC-7B154DF4242D.jpeg

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 02:54 PM

They will take it here in Iowa. I took a cat converter in off of the wifes Pacifica,had to show my drivers license. Reputable place so it is no big deal.

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 03:00 PM

Top picture today, bottom picture January 5th. Check out the prices.

Attached picture 38637E34-D5DD-4C3E-A742-7B62CB397579.jpeg
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
Tariffs will be gone on the 21 st of January China will be sleeping with the politicians again like a bunch of paid prostitutes. We’ll pay what China decides we need to pay. Back to the old ways.

Yep - & unemployment will be on the rise as well. Here we go again. "Those jobs ain't coming back either so get used to it..................."
Posted By: 360view

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 09:13 PM

Several large iron ore mines have had production problems.

You may remember the large iron ore waste (tailings) dam at a huge iron ore mine in Brazil that failed.

Other iron ore mines all around the world have had to re-prove their dams are safe.

China and Australia are having a political “tit for tat” dispute over trade
(and the origin of Covid-19)
that has already affected exported wines and steam coal.
This could easily expand to iron ore and “metallurgical coal” used to make the “coke” (spongey carbon) needed for steelmaking.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/08/21 11:52 PM

Domestic steel production can be fully supported by domestic iron ore and coke production. I'm hopeful for a strong steel demand this year. Cliffs, the new and largest domestic steel maker's stock increased 5x from it's 2020 low.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/09/21 11:53 AM

I heard this week the T1 steel plate we use, the prices went thru the roof. How bad? We were out of inch and a half so the foreman had parts cut out of 2 inch then had them milled. Sounds like we'll eventually have to bite the bullet.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/09/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 360view

China and Australia are having a political “tit for tat” dispute over trade
(and the origin of Covid-19)
that has already affected exported wines and steam coal.
This could easily expand to iron ore and “metallurgical coal” used to make the “coke” (spongey carbon) needed for steelmaking.

t
the chinese get 75pct of their ore from aussie - they ain't cutting off this trade... wine... big deal ... coal, they get a small proportion of their coal needs from aussie, and there is "plenty" of supply available from indonesia/soafrica/russians... or long haul from colombia

if i was the aussies, i'd cut off ore shippments to china.... but that's a lot more loss of revenue $$$ then the coal trade...

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/09/21 02:26 PM

The steel mill I worked at once Allegheny Ludlum now ATI discontinued making silicon steel year ago. Several months ago they announced they were going to discontinue making low grades of stainless steel and concentrate on high grades of stainless steel and the titanium market.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/10/21 02:03 PM

I'm hearing the same discussion by market analysts -
Manufacturers are working hard to lock in supply contracts to secure raw materials to meet a rise in orders for product that was pent up by the pandemic.
.. demand for raw materials had fallen during the pandemic, so supply is now low.. and that is driving raw material prices up.
- Art
Posted By: second 70

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/10/21 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by BSB67
Domestic steel production can be fully supported by domestic iron ore and coke production. I'm hopeful for a strong steel demand this year. Cliffs, the new and largest domestic steel maker's stock increased 5x from it's 2020 low.

Cleveland Cliff's bought out most of the competition at the bottom over the last few years and will control the market resulting in higher prices. Very determined CEO.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/10/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by second 70

Cleveland Cliff's bought out most of the competition at the bottom over the last few years and will control the market resulting in higher prices. Very determined CEO.

only higher prices if there is demand... n steel tariffs remain... if demand is slack n biden lessens tariffs....
Posted By: Frank Cannon

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/10/21 06:12 PM

>we have been rationed
HAHAHA

This is war stuff.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/12/21 06:42 PM

we are getting hit with Huge price increases on steel and Alum. sucks because we use alot of it and we run at very thin margins as it is and customers dont like increase to the product line.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/12/21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by second 70

Cliff's acquired AK Steel in March with a stock swap, and purchased select ArcelorMittal mills in December. Although they are now the largest domestic steel maker, their capacity is less than 20% of the total domestic capacity. Plus, you cannot generalize "steel" although there is overlap in capabilities. Most of what Cliff's makes is automotive strip steel made with blast furnaces and BOFs. US Steel is a competitor in that space. Most of the structural steel is coming from Nucor and SDI made in EAFs.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/13/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 392Hemi
we are getting hit with Huge price increases on steel and Alum. sucks because we use alot of it and we run at very thin margins as it is and customers dont like increase to the product line.

What automation company do you work for? I programmed PLC's and robots for 30 years. I worked for VSI Automation, TA Systems and HA Industries. SO GLAD to be out of that pressure cooker smile

NVM I see you are with Welker in Troy. Very close to my former concentration camp I mean employer.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/13/21 12:56 AM

Look what’s happened to the price of copper jacketed lead...
Posted By: Jer

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/13/21 06:20 AM

"Look what’s happened to the price of copper jacketed lead..."

And all wood, select and clear especially.
Posted By: NHCharger

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/23/21 03:13 PM

I am finding random materials shortages across the board.
Tried to order materials for an office fit up last month, my supply house said he couldn't sell me the sheetrock, was only selling to his top 20 customers, so I buy the materials thru a friend who is one of his top customers and the load shows up without any steel studs, they're out, had to go to HD to buy them.
Just ordered materials for another fit up. Had to argue with the sales guy to get 4 bags of insulation.
Current price of 7/16" OSB $28/sheet
2x6x8KD $9/each.
Between all the shortages, lack of people who actually can work an 8 hour day and a new administration bent on turning us green in 15 years I'm fairly certain the building boom will crash and the supply shortage will ease up.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Next up : Steel shortage in 2021 - 01/23/21 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by NHCharger
Between all the shortages, lack of people who actually can work an 8 hour day and a new administration bent on turning us green in 15 years I'm fairly certain the building boom will crash and the supply shortage will ease up.

Roger that!
© 2024 Moparts Forums