Moparts

Had my 1st street race in over a decade today!

Posted By: formula_s

Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 06:12 PM

Guy in a late Charger R/T with a loud exhaust along side me on a six lane main road, I'm in a Chall R/T with a super quiet exhaust ...light changes and he takes off and I just let him go... next light change I took off after about a 10 mph roll and blew him into the weeds Actually felt kinda dumb after it all ended...street racing at my age!!
Posted By: dIc dOc Deity !

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 06:31 PM

Ur age is ? .... same/same as that cHeEzY gEeZeR from Puttsylvania?

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 06:38 PM

Old enuf to remember both 70's gas shortages....
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 06:44 PM

So you're in a Challenger R/T. A 70 Hemi? A 2012 5.7 with no mods??? A 2018?? What exactly are you driving?
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by formula_s

I remember refusing to put Sunoco 260 in my cars because it was an outrageous 45 cents per gallon.
It cost well over $5.00 for a fill up. shock
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

I remember refusing to put Sunoco 260 in my cars because it was an outrageous 45 cents per gallon.

Yeah but a hemi cuda was $5000
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6776

Yeah but a hemi cuda was $5000

That was cheap. I put 260 in Dad's car for him once, $7.00, that extra two dollars set him off. I had a chance at a very clean 4 spd '70 Hemi 'cuda, ask was $1,900.00. He was selling because they couldn't keep the engine together, I don't know why, never asked. And I didn't have a spare $1,900, could probably have come up with the 90 part, mebbe the 190 part... laugh2

I did discover they wouldn't loan 20 year olds $1,900 for a car and insurance would NOT write for a 20 year old with a hemi 'cuda so gave up even thinking about it. I'm pretty sure that car went to Alaska. Red hardtop, G60 scat pack tires, dog dishes.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 08:59 PM

So am I , but I wasn't old enough to be driving then.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 09:03 PM

Lmao. Roll racing. We have a name for guys that do that. Lol.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Yep.....nothing proves less than a roll racing contest! Worthless.
Posted By: dIc dOc Deity !

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 09:50 PM

45 cents ? ... my grandpa pumped it for 19.9 !!
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
So you're in a Challenger R/T. A 70 Hemi? A 2012 5.7 with no mods??? A 2018?? What exactly are you driving?

Yes, thank-you!

A "Chall R/T" is all I got out of this?

Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/07/21 11:59 PM

Take a 700hp car drag racing on stock rubber and see how it goes - they roll these modern insane HP cars for a reason
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 12:02 AM

Busted

Damn Mopars
https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/01...dent-involving-cleveland-browns-players/
Posted By: feets

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 12:14 AM

Take a 700hp car drag racing on stock rubber and see how it goes - they roll these modern insane HP cars for a reason

Yeah, when the 1800 hp Viper loses traction and goes sideways on a highway roll you know he'll have trouble from a dig on street tires.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 01:07 AM

I usually read and agree with a lot of things you post, but I won't with this comment. Big drag racing fan here. Has the insight to see what makes old iron and new stuff work.

The science behind this type of racing has come a long way. My friend has a nice 1000whp caddy, that over the last, say, 5 years has had a great evolution. He did a lingenfelter top end kit and on street tires ran 10.89s. Not D.O.T.s, his street continental's. He caught the bug. His car gained many upgrades quickly and his skills as a driver also greatly improved. Just for arguments sake also, dont for a second think what is programmed to control traction and stability in a stock vehicle is even remotely useful in a modern ride with over 700 whp, it will still overpower the car, and untrained driver.

Roll racing may be different from a "dig" but I like it just as much. The violent explosions just happen differently.

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by moparjim79

I usually read and agree with a lot of things you post, but I won't with this comment. Big drag racing fan here.

x2

Don't keep us in suspense: what name do you have for guys that do that?

Not everybody has time to go home, put their slicks on, go back, find the other guy, do a big burnout, and have someone out there on the road to drop the hands. rolleyes Door to door at 40mph, and three honks gets the job done pretty darn good.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly

Don't keep us in suspense: what name do you have for guys that do that?

Queers. That is the word that has been mentioned on the vaulted YellowBullet.
Me? A race is a race whether you're already rolling or at a dead stop.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 11:04 AM

Leave it to Moparts to suck yet another lighthearted post down to the bottom. eyes
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 01:41 PM

First off I love these cars and they can be made to hook and hook well on radials. I would love to have one and have the coin to buy one but I drive my moms old six cylinder Chevy Malibu for a reason. Been there done that years ago street racing and even being 65 years old soon have the need for speed so I purposefully stay away from driving anything fast on the streets. I know myself well and if I had that power I would use that power. I would take a beautiful daily driver and modify it to hook as we never roll raced. So have fun, be careful, and please try not to kill anyone using all that power.
Posted By: dinty68RR

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

I can personally attest that formula_s was old enough to be driving (and was driving) during both 70s gas shortages... grin devil whistling
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 09:17 PM

Still, we are all waiting to hear what kind of Challenger R/T this is!
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 10:25 PM

Going off gut instincts, its a modern rt.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/08/21 10:47 PM

That's what I'm thinkin. It's still fun and I'm 57. From time to time I have to let some puke have with it my Hemi Quad cab.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/09/21 04:18 PM

Hmmm, back in my day I think about 1/2 the races were rollers. When you were cruising an 8 lane road it happened. Course we normally slowed down to about 10-15mph and went.
Posted By: Frank Cannon

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/09/21 09:17 PM

HAHAHA.
I'm with you Sniper, I remember those lines, leaning over the bench seat in my parent's 72 Dart so I could see what was going on.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture gettyimages-155065732-612x612.jpg
Posted By: ek3

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/09/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by carnut68

That's what I'm thinkin. It's still fun and I'm 57. From time to time I have to let some puke have with it my Hemi Quad cab.
I BUSTED A NEW MUSTANG 0-60 OFF THE LINE! WITH MY RAM 8 SPEED ....THE GUY WAS SITTING AT THE RED LIGHT WITH THE CAM POPPING OFF AND I COULNDT RESIST... AND I CAN REMEMBER ASKING FOR A DOLLARS WORTH OF GAS ....................... drumhit

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/09/21 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Cannon

HAHAHA.
I'm with you Sniper, I remember those lines, leaning over the bench seat in my parent's 72 Dart so I could see what was going on.
[Linked Image]

I see an f body and an e body in that line of cars, and 3 Impala/Caprices.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/10/21 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ek3
Originally Posted by carnut68

I BUSTED A NEW MUSTANG 0-60 OFF THE LINE! WITH MY RAM 8 SPEED ....THE GUY WAS SITTING AT THE RED LIGHT WITH THE CAM POPPING OFF AND I COULNDT RESIST... AND I CAN REMEMBER ASKING FOR A DOLLARS WORTH OF GAS ....................... drumhit
Most people don't think a heavy ass truck will get moving.3.91s help. So they are caught off guard. up
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/11/21 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Leave it to Moparts to suck yet another lighthearted post down to the bottom. eyes

iagree...is there no end to the vitriol and division on this website? Seems more and more every subject has to be debated to the nnthhh degree...it's getting old.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/11/21 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

45 cents ? ... my grandpa pumped it for 19.9 !!

I remember buying pump premium at the local discount gas station for 16.9 cents including all the taxes in 1960 in Blythe CA, it was a lot cheaper the closer you got to L.A. also.
I think the Federal and CA state gas taxes per gallon back then was more than gas cost per gallon down
I first started working in a gas station in 29 Palms ,CA in November of1961, gas was still under 20 cents a gallon for premium out in the middle of the Mojave desert back then up
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/11/21 01:34 PM

I've had 1500hp+ vipers, you don't want to dig race that as a driver. I just wasn't comfortable doing it. I generally did interstate pulls, empty lane between us and no traffic around. Only conditions I'd do it in. It's not for everyone, but I liked it. I also didn't pick on cars where that wasn't a fair fight, which 15 years ago, was most of them. Raced a lot of bikes. With the Hellcats I'll do those from a dig, roll or whatever someone wants as long as I have some spacing, nobody around, etc. I have a mclaren I drive quite a bit, almost never race it. Not because I don't want to, but because of how stupid other people are. I've never owned a car that caused as many people to act like complete dumbass's and almost kill people to try and race or pull up beside me. Never seen anything like it. I won't endorse that type of behavior.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/12/21 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by feets

Yeah, when the 1800 hp Viper loses traction and goes sideways on a highway roll you know he'll have trouble from a dig on street tires.

This happened on UTG a few weeks ago. Dipshits showing off through the video came back towards the end to line up against a Charger Tony was tinkering on with different carbs. Skip to 25:02 if you just want to see the dumbassery.

Re: Had my 1st street race in over a decade today! - 01/13/21 05:20 AM

Well, I don't know about that? I watched the video and those Guys in the new Charger seemed pretty harmless and decent enough car guys that were not only interested but fairly respectful to the '71. So he spun it out, BFD, he put on a better show than the 440 that couldn't even do a burnout. Guy with the '71 claimed traction was going to be a factor, lol, nope.

But, since you mention "Dipshits" and "dumbassery", you don't point out these two Stooges stopped on a busy highway to do some quarter mile runs? I wasn't very impressed and I bet the rest of the traffic was wondering what this MEATHEAD was doing. Just gives another reason to do a roll race instead of this disregard for anyone else using the road.

Furthermore, pass it on to Goofy Tony that that 440 might go a little faster with all 8 plugs hooked up. laugh2 Is this where he lost 4 tenths, lol, because all the distributor wires appear to be hooked up at the beginning of the video?

Go ahead and count 'em, the number 8 cylinder on the passenger side isn't hooked up. tonguue

Attached picture 30.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums