Posted By: bigdad

Wham-O - 12/27/20 12:52 PM

Posted By: BloFish

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 03:31 PM

Here’s my original Buzz Bike 2+1 up

Attached picture B2E063AC-7806-409A-9A00-7F3A16B977EA.jpeg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 03:46 PM

They make repops of the Wham-O now, originals are quite pricey!
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 05:39 PM

up That was so cool!
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 06:16 PM

Very cool!Thanks!

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 08:03 PM

I couldn't help but think how there's now way that would happen today! The disclaimers would take up the entire screen, and the kids would have on so much protective gear they'd look like something from another planet. frown
Posted By: moparts

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
I couldn't help but think how there's now way that would happen today! The disclaimers would take up the entire screen, and the kids would have on so much protective gear they'd look like something from another planet. frown

Yes NO bare feet
Posted By: loco340cuda

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 10:00 PM

I was thinking the same exact thing!
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 10:06 PM

It is funny that we all survived that era, but today's kid cannot. shruggy

My grand farther taught to me to ride backwards (back facing the front) on my Swinn! Try that today with your Grand kids and you may never see them again. lol
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 10:13 PM

Real kids rode a wheelie without the aid of gimmicks.
Posted By: A12

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

Yep, my younger brother could ride his bike like that on the back wheel around two blocks and I mean "around" counterclockwise or clockwise all day long. Then he got a 10-speed road bike and continued the around the block or until he ran out of road wheelies. I was overly impressed with that talent.......and I had done lots and lots of motorcycle wheelies up to then and beyond. Still look back at that and let him know that I was always impressed with that. up up
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 10:39 PM

.... and I heard his OLDER BROTHER got a B13 RoadToad.., filled the trunk full of lead ....

AND did the same thing !
Posted By: A12

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
.... and I heard his OLDER BROTHER got a B13 RoadToad.., filled the trunk full of lead ....

AND did the same thing !

Don't have an older brother just three younger brothers and two younger sisters plus one older sister.

MikeR
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 11:19 PM

Awesome! I remember that commercial.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Wham-O - 12/27/20 11:36 PM

Well B13 guy .... THATS what I hear your younger brother said about CHOO !

Winter blues ? ... just FOUR MONTHS MORE .... or head SOUTH ... 1400 miles !

Would yur RoadToad make it ? ... grin

Re: Wham-O - 12/28/20 12:26 AM

LOL I remember pulling a wheelie on one of my bikes that I had change the grips on and both of the grips pulled off. I was trying to wheelie over a huge puddle because it had just rained. Maybe had something to do with the grips pulling off. I went straight over the handle bars as the front end came down hard, and slid hands down, out in front of me. Lots of road rash on my palms and arms. I jumped right back up and rode away, sans grips, you know, in case anyone was watching LOL.

Re: Wham-O - 12/28/20 12:44 AM

LOL I remember pulling a wheelie on one of my bikes that I had change the grips on and both of the grips pulled off. I was trying to wheelie over a huge puddle because it had just rained. Maybe had something to do with the grips pulling off. I went straight over the handle bars as the front end came down hard, and slid hands down, out in front of me. Lots of road rash on my palms and arms. I jumped right back up and rode away, sans grips, you know, in case anyone was watching LOL.

Ya know there was a classic moment there with you holding on to two plastic grips separated from the bars! A pic of that would be epic! Like the pic of the kid wheeling his ride and the front wheel has fallen off.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Wham-O - 12/28/20 01:07 AM

Hey, HEY! I was a 'real kid', just one with a poor sense of balance! blush I coulda used that! laugh2

One of the neighborhood kids was one that could ride a wheelie forever, and make it look easy. Not just BMX bikes, 3 spds, 10 spds, if it had two wheels and peddles, he could wheelie it.

Much, MUCH later, I found out he had moved on to motorcycles. I had lost track of him, and he had seen me at a gas station. A few minutes later, he passed me on a Honda (CBX?) doin' a wheelie at about 60 MPH. eek We weren't on a major hwy, just some rural road in CT!

Posted By: Sniper

Re: Wham-O - 12/28/20 01:48 AM

And real Dads taught them how, lol. I remember teaching my kids to ride a bike.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wham-O - 12/28/20 03:25 PM

The older brother was the Shwin StingRay generation, never had the wheelie bars. I was the one that could wheelie my 26" 10 speed down the street. Also could do miles with no hands. Or helmet, elbow pads, air bags. There's a reason snow flakes exist.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Wham-O - 12/30/20 10:54 PM

My Screamer1 didn't need any wheelie bars. It was so damn hard to pedal I could have NEVER done a wheelie with it. But it was the baddest bike on the block. 8 years old, 1970.

These are going for $1000 now. Darn. I bet my old man paid $100 back in the day. Just checked. I was close

Attached picture Screamer1.JPG
Attached picture ChristmasCatalogBikes.jpg

Re: Wham-O - 12/30/20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 71TA
My Screamer1 didn't need any wheelie bars. It was so damn hard to pedal I could have NEVER done a wheelie with it. But it was the baddest bike on the block. 8 years old, 1970.

Twin rear brakes and NO front brake? What was the thinking there?
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Wham-O - 12/30/20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by moparts

Yes NO bare feet

Broke myself of that habit real easy. Was racing a friend on my Schwinn StingRay and I was barefooted. Foot came off the pedal and the fork was between my big toe and the next one. Spokes peeled the meat off the outside of my big toe. blush Never rode barefoot again after that. wink

Tim

Re: Wham-O - 12/31/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
Originally Posted by moparts

Yes NO bare feet

Broke myself of that habit real easy. Was racing a friend on my Schwinn StingRay and I was barefooted. Foot came off the pedal and the fork was between my big toe and the next one. Spokes peeled the meat off the outside of my big toe. blush Never rode barefoot again after that. wink

Tim

Hell, I remember my foot slipping off the pedal into the front wheel where my whole (7 year old) foot was jammed between the forks and the spokes as I rode to a stop. The only thing that cured me was the steel cleated pedals on ten-speeds....those were painful to ride barefoot.

I had a mini bike with no brakes, could burn through a set of tennis shoes in one day if I wasn’t careful.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Wham-O - 12/31/20 07:51 PM

How make it to old age LOL

No helmets ( falling off skateboards at 40mph after getting the high speed "wob's"), fire crackers (M80's in garbage cans and possibly a mail box), BB guns (hell, sneaking 22's and 410's out into the woods), mini bikes (helmets just to look cool), etc
Posted By: A990

Re: Wham-O - 01/01/21 12:01 AM

Fun side story:
My co-worker did jail time for blowing up mailboxes. His dad was a Gunsmith, and also did his own reloads. He told me knew he had everything prepped right when a mailbox was a flat piece of metal. He also has a hilarious story of a stolen recovered boat.

I grew up surrounded by miles of gravel roads. Never got to really do the wheelie thing, but a school buddy could wheelie a 10 speed for infinity.
© 2024 Moparts Forums