Posted By: bee1971

1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 10:30 AM

Came out on Motor Trend App Today
1969 Dodge Daytona

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/daytona-delight/1158123/
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 04:06 PM

Touching story for sure!

The lil boy had me almost tearing up cause I was like that when I was little.

Curious of the pedigree on that car, Looked to be Blue originally. Pretty neat story.
Posted By: Devil

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 07:04 PM

Yup! I was involved in the build! You see me in the background a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Moparnut426
Touching story for sure!

The lil boy had me almost tearing up cause I was like that when I was little.

Curious of the pedigree on that car, Looked to be Blue originally. Pretty neat story.

The father did buy the car new. It's an original B7 blue car, but a year in the blue was flaking off, so the dealership painted it black for them.

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 08:21 PM

Is Christy Lee as awesome in person as she seems on TV?

Ive met Bruno, he seems cool as long as theres a camera on somewhere, but he seemed quite different in the pits.

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 08:23 PM

My 69 Bee is B7, LOVE THAT COLOR!!

Mine is B7, White vinyl top, white gut, white stripe....
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 08:28 PM

Anyone know when this will air on MT TV? I did not see it in upcoming listings.

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 08:34 PM

was on it this morning I watched it on my break

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 70gtx440dana
Anyone know when this will air on MT TV? I did not see it in upcoming listings.

This episode will air one week from today.

And Cristy is really awesome. I had worked with Heather before on GS, and she was a diva. Cristy was legit working on the car and doing stuff and she is really funny. I've worked with her a few times, and it's always been enjoyable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is one of my favorite pictures I've ever taken... Cristy Lee, Woodward Ave, Roadkill Nights, Two pre-production Dodge Demons, drag racing... and a rainbow!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 08:56 PM

christy lee makes the show almost unwatchable for me..
Posted By: racerx20

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/08/20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe

Hard disagree on that for me, one of the reasons I watch the show.

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/15/20 06:48 PM

Tonight is the episode on the MotorTrend TV Channel.
Posted By: formula_s

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/16/20 05:45 AM

[quote=Devil]Yup! I was involved in the build! You see me in the background a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Question number one: Can an L code Daytona go 176 MPH???
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/16/20 10:16 AM

Not with a 440 4 barrel and the standard 3.23 gearing.
I doubt it even with a Hemi and a 2.76 gear. The owner spoke just like those braggarts at car shows. You know, those guys that spew lies that nobody calls them on.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/16/20 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe

She reminds me of the blonde mother on Modern Family.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/16/20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by formula_s
[quote=Devil]

Question number one: Can an L code Daytona go 176 MPH???

Maybe, if it's dropped out the back of a C5A Galaxy at 30,000 feet....
Posted By: ChallengerTA

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/17/20 11:55 PM

Did the father (owner) live long enough to see it in person, get a ride in it, or did he never make it out of the hospital?

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by ChallengerTA
Did the father (owner) live long enough to see it in person, get a ride in it, or did he never make it out of the hospital?

He just got to see the car outside of the hospital unfortunately.
Posted By: racerx20

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 02:56 AM

Good episode, sad for the father...RIP. angel
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 03:37 PM

If Bruno hadn't been a racer, he would have been a game show host. Joey hits me like he don't know more than one way to give it to ya. Chrissy works for me most of the time. Gotta try to catch this episode.
Posted By: cgall

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 07:07 PM

I enjoy the show, but this one was too heavy on the testimonials and tears, too light on the repair work. All they did was replace the brakes and a valve job on the heads, and the interior. The car owner never did anything except watch his kid remove a few screws. I guess he was too broke or lazy to do the minor repairs for 25 years. Also Joe reinstalled the Daytona lower grill with black zipties. You shouldn't start off the show saying it is too valuable to do any custom work on it and then do something half-ass.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 08:00 PM

By the looks of that garage they worked out of, the owner doesn't look very broke, unless it was someone else' garage? shruggy
It is very cool to see a Daytona still with it's original family..after 51 years....hopefully it will get the respect it deserves, and get a full resto sooner than later.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 08:06 PM

As I recall, it was parked in a dank barn and they moved it at the beginning of the show to a nearby friend's shop to work on the car?

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by cgall
I enjoy the show, but this one was too heavy on the testimonials and tears, too light on the repair work. All they did was replace the brakes and a valve job on the heads, and the interior. The car owner never did anything except watch his kid remove a few screws. I guess he was too broke or lazy to do the minor repairs for 25 years. Also Joe reinstalled the Daytona lower grill with black zipties. You shouldn't start off the show saying it is too valuable to do any custom work on it and then do something half-ass.

Full brake system rebuild, full interior refresh, floor patching, engine rebuild, rear end R&R, transmission service.

If you want to see more behind the scenes working, here ya go.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/albums/72157716390512021

And unveiling day

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/albums/72157716441831033

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
By the looks of that garage they worked out of, the owner doesn't look very broke, unless it was someone else' garage? shruggy
It is very cool to see a Daytona still with it's original family..after 51 years....hopefully it will get the respect it deserves, and get a full resto sooner than later.

It is someone elses garage. The owners don't have a nice garage to work out of, so they brought it somewhere else.
Posted By: Redbird

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 09:41 PM

A 440 Superbird with stock bodywork including the factory small nose spoiler, the original factory 65,000 mile shortblock, a 2.76 open end rear end, a dodge truck 1976 A833 overdrive transmission, 1962 max wedge heads,1962 max wedge intake with small carbs, and a not wild solid lifter cam can and will average 173 MPH through a measured mile at a 4200 feet above sea level elevation. Something the average home garage mechanic could easily put together. Even if they did not have a garage at the time and were working out of their apartment parking lot.

No airplane required.

Attached picture IMG_4263[1].JPG
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Devil

Full brake system rebuild, full interior refresh, floor patching, engine rebuild, rear end R&R, transmission service.

And unveiling day

It is someone elses garage. The owners don't have a nice garage to work out of, so they brought it somewhere else.

It looked like all they did was a top end rebuild, I don't think they removed the engine and trans... scope

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/18/20 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Originally Posted by Devil

And unveiling day

It looked like all they did was a top end rebuild, I don't think they removed the engine and trans... scope

They took it down to a short block. The pan was off the transmission, etc...
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 1969 Dodge Daytona On Garage Squad - 12/19/20 03:13 AM

That still comes down to doing a top end a servicing the trans. shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums