Moparts

One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO!

Posted By: DaveRS23

One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 04:25 PM

www.thedrive.com/news/37974/one-in-...-instead-of-selling-electric-cars-report
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 04:40 PM

Give me a gas V-8 engine, or give me nothing. We have NO reason to go the way of electric vehicles.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 04:47 PM

Although the info may be correct like most article writers/teams ive read way too many articles on things I know of first hand from these guys to know they just do limited research to get a public release. Although not much different then any publications weather in paper or web based.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 04:48 PM

Electric cars make a lot of sense out here in leftyfornia. Especially since the utility companies are cutting off the grid due to winds and fire conditions. Whats going to happen when the green blowhards can't drive their blowhard car as it didn't charge from the power being out? Does not bother big metropolitan areas as the power doesn't get cut off there but not everyone lives in the city. Some live in rural areas where the power is being cut off.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 05:25 PM

GM (or any manufacture) doesn't care about those few dealers and the dealers don't care about GM. They'll sell whatever they can to make a buck. Most of those dealers have many brands they own/sell at different franchises. They took the cash buyout and bought a Kia/Toyota/Nissan/Honda(you name it) franchise.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 05:57 PM

Oregon has installed a lot of charging stations throughout the state, I love seeing a Tesla sitting for 45 minutes charging so it can go another 200 miles, less traffic in front of me haha
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Give me a gas V-8 engine, or give me nothing. We have NO reason to go the way of electric vehicles.
Same here! We've already greatly reduced emissions from gasoline engines over the past couple of decades. Why can't we still have that option in years to come? Must we have stuff we don't want forced down our throats?

Somewhat related article I posted elsewhere, and VERY interesting read: https://www.hagerty.com/media/opini...ontent=20_November_21_Newsletter_Weekend
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Oregon has installed a lot of charging stations throughout the state, I love seeing a Tesla sitting for 45 minutes charging so it can go another 200 miles, less traffic in front of me haha
From what I read, a Tesla will probably break down within the 200 mile range.
Posted By: theraif

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 07:10 PM

i will admit a ev i a good idea for running to the store (for me it`s a 10 mi round trip) but driving every day in this type of weather rather take my chances with a full tank of gas >>>>>>>>>>>

Attached picture 129141711_10219213684680946_3059484307391887866_n.jpg
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 07:47 PM

when ev's are competitive in the cannonball run, I will probably get one then.
or when they make fully self drive cars.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/06/20 11:55 PM

Hard to say what it really means when a bunch of dealers take the buyout. Cadillac has been a tough sell for many years so there are probably a bunch of older dealers are just happy to get a check and be done with it. I'm no expert on dealer economics but Cadillac volume has to be down significantly these days. I don't see very many of them that is for sure. If they come out with a killer EV then some of the dealers might regret giving up the dealership but that could be years down the road.

I've been driving an EV for several years now and it is very, very cool. It doesn't work for a lot of situations, but it does solve some problems really well. If everything just took a natural course we would see a lot of people buy an electric car as the second or third car in a family. A small EV makes a ton of sense for high school kids and/or a stay at home mom who needs tor run errands. They don't work very well for trips or slogging thru the snow or going off road or long commutes.

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 12:03 AM

EVs have their place. And may be a big part of the future of basic transportation. But they are long, long way from being ready for prime time for most of us. And it will be interesting to see how the out years works for them. Anyone care to guess what the average condition will be for a 12 year old EV with 200,000 miles and average maintenance? That is the average age of cars on the road today.

www.caranddriver.com/news/a33457915/average-age-vehicles-on-road-12-years/
Posted By: AndyF

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 01:46 AM

My rough guess is that 1/3 of the cars today could be EV and if they were, the owners would be happier. That is just a guess based on my observations about how most people use their cars. Most retired folks with more than one car could use an EV as their second car. Most young drivers could use an EV, especially kids who live at home and only drive to school and work. A lot of stay at home moms or dads could use an EV for their daily trips to the store, bank, post office, etc. If your average trip is just a few miles and your daily mileage is less than 50 miles then an EV would be a better choice than a gas engine. Most people haven't had any hands on experience yet with an EV so they don't know what they don't know. It will take time for word of mouth to spread.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
My rough guess is that 1/3 of the cars today could be EV and if they were, the owners would be happier. That is just a guess based on my observations about how most people use their cars. Most retired folks with more than one car could use an EV as their second car. Most young drivers could use an EV, especially kids who live at home and only drive to school and work. A lot of stay at home moms or dads could use an EV for their daily trips to the store, bank, post office, etc. If your average trip is just a few miles and your daily mileage is less than 50 miles then an EV would be a better choice than a gas engine. Most people haven't had any hands on experience yet with an EV so they don't know what they don't know. It will take time for word of mouth to spread.

probably right on those points.. for me it needs to have a 300-400 mile range and fully charge in 15 or so minutes for me to want one. an electric car would probably be great for the wife but i know she woudl forget to charge it over night and get stranded..lol
Posted By: dOoC

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 01:24 PM

THIMK positive upy

The more EV cars ...means MORE GAS for us !
Posted By: RobG

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
GM (or any manufacture) doesn't care about those few dealers and the dealers don't care about GM. They'll sell whatever they can to make a buck. Most of those dealers have many brands they own/sell at different franchises. They took the cash buyout and bought a Kia/Toyota/Nissan/Honda(you name it) franchise.

GM also required the dealers to Make a $300,000 investment in dealer materials to sell/service the new EVs. That's more than what small Cadillac dealers make selling the cars each year. As additional models roll out from GM, look at more high dollar investment forcing other mid-sized dealer to follow.

You may see competition from regionalized service shops opening up - like EV "truck stops" as all the components are plug and play - there will be no rebuilding - just replacing.

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 03:26 PM

Andy, while I understand that EVs and the like work for a few people like yourself, they simply are not right for the vast majority of us. And won't be in the near future. In fact, your position is more than a little elitist. That is because you can afford a new or nearly new car or was able to take advantage of a singular good deal. For the rest of us, here is what I see currently standing in the way of widespread ownership:

Range and access to charging is the most often cited reservations so I won't belabor them.

The average age of the cars on the road today is 12 years and growing. That means, of course that there are as many cars on the road older than 12 years as there are ones younger. The battery warranty is typically 8 to 10 years. But even then there is a lot of fine print. So for EVs to replace today's ICE cars, at least one battery replacement will be required. Costs on that is not easy to come by, but industry estimates are in the $15,000 range. A lot of money for someone with an older car.

In cold weather, range can be reduced by up to 41%. In hot weather range can be reduced by 17%. Quick charging can reduce battery life. And the batteries do loose capacity over time. Sometimes significantly. In fact, battery degradation is enough of an issue that there are degradation calculators on the 'net.

www.carfax.com/blog/how-long-does-the-battery-last-in-an-electric-car
https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31875141/electric-car-battery-life/

Remanufactured/aftermarket batteries have been talked about for years. But even for units as popular as the Leaf, they have never materialized. That means that the OE is usually the only source for the replacement batteries. And likely, the labor, too. How many people with 10 or 12 year old cars take them to the dealer for service?

In fact, should the average EV owner need almost any service on the vehicle's drive, for most people that will mean a trip to the dealership as there are very few independent shops working on them. Especially in the rural areas. Around here, dealerships are in the $100 an hour range. And in my experience, their weakest suite is electrical. It just takes them longer and you may well have to make multiple trips to get electrical gremlins addressed. Another thing to consider for potential owners of EVs. Used/older ones anyway.

As EVs become more common place, fully half or more of vehicle owners will be negatively affected. Many simply will not be able to afford them like they can an ICE powered vehicle. The Unites States is exporting almost 1 million used vehicles a year. And then due to the increasing number of safety features being added to today's cars, we are seeing fewer and fewer being repaired after an accident. Those issues and others are putting an enormous amount of upward price pressure on the used car market. We see it every day. More and more people are being priced out of the market. Trucks and larger SUVs prices are particularly insane.

So, EVs may be a good thing for the environment and for those that can afford them and live with their limitations, bu they are not really good for the market in general. And won't be for a long, long time.
Posted By: RobG

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23

So, EVs may be a good thing for the environment and for those that can afford them and live with their limitations, but they are not really good for the market in general. And won't be for a long, long time.

It has been reported here in Detroit that the elimination of future internal combustion engine development will cost the automotive supplier industry over 100,000 jobs in the next 8 to 10 years. Most of the electric motor manufacturing is performed by robotics. Watch "How it's Made" show on Audi's EV motor production.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 06:51 PM

]Pure electric just seems impractical except for maybe a young professional in an urban environment.

SHOCKED smile the car companies dont add a small gas powered motor like a Prius to recharge batteries or to even power the car when rolling down the highway. The Prius concept seemed like the most practical type of EV.

And how efficient would electric heat be in one in an EV in say North Dakota. Hell your battery would be dead before you got out of your neighborhood.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 10:04 PM

Here we go:

https://youtu.be/3AlndKQSs6Q
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
If it was a Tesla Model 3 they get about 15 miles for every minute of charge. So for 200 miles that would be thirteen minutes.

That being said I am not arguing that you can make better time on the highway with a vehicle fueled with gasoline or diesel.

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/07/20 11:22 PM

Fast charging is hard on the batteries and will shorten their life. But who knows how much the replacement batteries would be. Tesla won't tell you. Care to guess what the cost would be?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/08/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF

I'm not going to dispute what you said as it has merit...in the right environment. However, when I wake up on some ND winter morning and God has dumped two feet of white stuff on everything drivable....I'll take my 4WD Cummins any day.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/08/20 05:48 PM

Simple Math

How long would to take a dealer to recoup a $200,000 investment? Tax deductible or not. If you're an older dealer, and that nice area your dealership was in 30 or 40 years ago is now surrounded by crack houses. I don't see sales volume and profit margins covering the loss.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: One in six Cadillac dealers just say NO! - 12/09/20 04:59 PM

There is a misconception that young people are attracted to EVs. Young people will finance their soul for the latest phone but are happy to drive moms Grand Caravan to and from the vape lounge. No car ownership and responsibility desired on their part. Like mentioned earlier- when the average age of the car on American roads is 12 years old that means there's a whole lotta 20 plus year old cars still doing the heavy lifting and that's because the average American cant afford or doesn't want a new car payment.
© 2024 Moparts Forums