Moparts

My first snow fall in 45 years

Posted By: Guitar Jones

My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 06:27 PM

First time for the dogs, they are having a blast. It started last night just before 8, it is still snowing lightly at 1:30 PM today.

Attached picture received_3322254571229783.jpeg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 06:34 PM

I like that location!
Posted By: skicker

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 06:49 PM

Get used to it Guitar... up

Nothing up here but about 30 miles away there's a bunch... tsk

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 06:53 PM

It is beautiful here Ted. 10 miles into the woods off the 2 lane road. 3 houses on a mile long private dead end road.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 06:55 PM

We are loving it here. 30 miles away there still isn't much. lol
Posted By: burdar

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 07:16 PM

The first real snow is always pretty. The second snow isn't quite as pretty. By the third, I'm ready for spring... laugh2
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 07:32 PM

Wow, that's a beautiful picture. Enjoy!

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 07:44 PM

I hope we have some snow for deer season this coming weekend...It isn't looking good.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
The first real snow is always pretty. The second snow isn't quite as pretty. By the third, I'm ready for spring... laugh2

haha I'm waiting for cabin fever to set in. laugh2

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Wow, that's a beautiful picture. Enjoy!

Thank you Larry.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
I hope we have some snow for deer season this coming weekend...It isn't looking good.

Our 2 week season started monday last week. I haven't heard any gun shots today.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by burdar

Yep! And by March I'm really sick of the crap and looking to move!!
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 08:20 PM

Guitar - where did you move to again? I remember you used to live in Florida previously. I know you headed North. We finally got our snow in the Detroit area - I'm about 45 miles NW of the big D. I already can't wait til spring!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 09:09 PM

That is a beautiful view. We haven't had much snow here in years, I am hoping we get a decent accumulation soon, one is enough haha but it is nice to see every so often.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 09:15 PM

Did you get a blade for your side by side?

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Guitar - where did you move to again? I remember you used to live in Florida previously. I know you headed North. We finally got our snow in the Detroit area - I'm about 45 miles NW of the big D. I already can't wait til spring!

West Virginia, in the middle of nowhere. Really, there isn't anything out here.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly

No, average annual snow fall isn't that much around here. I did get tire chains for the old W200 crew though, just in case.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/01/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
That is a beautiful view. We haven't had much snow here in years, I am hoping we get a decent accumulation soon, one is enough haha but it is nice to see every so often.

I've been practicing taking pics as I have been wanting to take landscape photos around here. I got a few tips from a professional photographer so I'm trying them out. That one however was just taken with a cell phone so I could transfer it easily.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 12:31 AM

So sunnyruff ... a little ROUGH out there ... so soon ?

Youz gots many months to contemplate that !

You better be glad you’re not around Traverse City .., and the lake effect !

It was purrTee from time to time ... but I don’t miss it ....AT ALL

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by Bad340fish

I've been practicing taking pics as I have been wanting to take landscape photos around here. I got a few tips from a professional photographer so I'm trying them out. That one however was just taken with a cell phone so I could transfer it easily.

BANJOnes got ... snow tires and SNOW SHOES ? tsk grin
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 12:56 AM

For the first time ever, i bought a snow blower. That means we will get no snow this year. shout
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

So sunnyruff ... a little ROUGH out there ... so soon ?

Youz gots many months to contemplate that !

You better be glad you’re not around Traverse City .., and the lake effect !

It was purrTee from time to time ... but I don’t miss it ....AT ALL

Now Traverse City is one truly beautiful place in the summer - one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my lifetime. Never been there in the winter though. As we get into the winter months here, I start dreaming of places like San German, PR. & parts of Florida. Puerto Rico though - I love it there - I could live there.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 04:45 AM

SOnNy .... the TC area is a very pretty place 365 !

But the winters can be brutal ... almost 4 years ago I looked on my weather report on my phone in mid March at 1am....

61 degrees in Paradise.... 49 below in TC eek

BTW .... USA TODAY had TC the 3rd most popular place to retire to in the country!

Oh ... Looneyville is going down to 21 !
Posted By: maximus

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 12:13 PM

Many of my wife's cousins live around Traverse City. They can tell you about snow, many times through the winter everything is shut down. The Upper Peninsula is really bad in the winter. The locals have told me there are no more deer up there because of the bad winters and high snowfall levels. The deer population has died off for lack of food in the winter.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by DirectSubjection
For the first time ever, i bought a snow blower. That means we will get no snow this year. shout

If that's what it takes, it's a cheap investment, lol.

I grew up in snow country, one of my chores was shoveling the stuff.

I grew up, movved and never again lived in snow country.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/02/20 02:19 PM

No snow yet

Attached picture 5E06D00F-044C-44AF-87BC-685E8AD2D898.jpeg
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/04/20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by maximus
Many of my wife's cousins live around Traverse City. They can tell you about snow, many times through the winter everything is shut down. The Upper Peninsula is really bad in the winter. The locals have told me there are no more deer up there because of the bad winters and high snowfall levels. The deer population has died off for lack of food in the winter.

Deer numbers are low up there because of some bad winters. Guestimates are around 100,000 deer in the herd.
Who ever told you there are no deer up there is wrong
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/06/20 05:10 PM

Just got 10 inches here in North Jersey , already more than all of last year.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/07/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by Grizzly

No, average annual snow fall isn't that much around here. I did get tire chains for the old W200 crew though, just in case.

Been in the northeast my entire life and never ran chains and TBH, don't see many other people running them either. I did run a pair studded snows that came on a parts car for a few years and those things just rocked. With the old school AWD, big knobby all terrains get it done. As for historic annual snow fall averages, they can misleading and the el Nino cycles are a better indicator of what's likely. At this latitude (SE PA) its generally 3-5 years with almost no snow then 3-5 years of getting hammered and occasionally buried.

This was 2016 and yeah, the frankenram got the driveway open. Has barely been worth hooking up the blade since.

Attached picture SAM_0678.JPG
Attached picture SAM_0691.JPG
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/07/20 10:57 PM

Picture from our front porch 2 weeks ago. Not enough to cover the grass. Lasted about a day. Same as three times last winter. Hope I never need the snow blower I brought from Ohio.

Attached picture IMG_20201201_140629863.jpg

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/07/20 11:10 PM

What beautiful country that is!! A buddy of mine was going to move to Nashville as a studio guitarist but it didn't work out for him.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/08/20 12:49 AM

Ah...the first snow. By the third or fourth and getting up close and personal with Mr. Snowblower every time, as B.B. King put it "The Thrill Is Gone".

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/13/20 01:35 PM

Looks like maybe a "welcome to the NorthEast" coming soon - the forecast here is for about a foot of the stuff on Weds. Always a bad sign when it snows in December - usually means a lot more to follow, sometimes thru March.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/13/20 01:38 PM

Does FROST ON THE WINDSHIELD in northern Florida count ? penguin

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/14/20 03:29 PM

I don't have sidewalks here, no one walks down this private gravel road anyway so I don't see a reason to shovel, plow, or blow snow. I'm not likely to go anywhere unless it's an emergency.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/14/20 04:00 PM

Got my snow blower out yesterday to make sure it was running well. I changed the oil and cleaned it up for the big snow coming this week. BTW, I would be happy if it never snowed again.
Posted By: moparx

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/14/20 06:24 PM

i looked at my snow blower a week or so ago, and the one tire was flat.
the neighbor kid has his blower ready to go, and my wife baked him some cookies, so we are ready for winter !
it's great to have good neighbors ! up
beer

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/14/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
the neighbor kid has his blower ready to go, and my wife baked him some cookies, so we are ready for winter !
beer

mopXXX ... tooooo much work to inflate that tire ? tsk whistling laugh2

I guess you’re aNutter one that’s very VERY tired 💤

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/15/20 12:22 AM

beer

Neighbor across the street is at least 80 so not up to dealing with snow like he used to be. If I get out before he does, I plow his driveway. We settle up in the spring and the only payment I accept is in the form of home made sho fly pie.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/16/20 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by RWG75
beer

Neighbor across the street is at least 80 so not up to dealing with snow like he used to be. If I get out before he does, I plow his driveway. We settle up in the spring and the only payment I accept is in the form of home made sho fly pie.

Oh man, I haven't had any shoo fly pie for probably 30 some years. I've seen some recipes on line but for what ever reason I could never find any King syrup in FL.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/17/20 06:31 PM

We got maybe 8" of the 18" they promised. Went out to joy ride the plow in the middle of the night because I could. Of course it was drifted shut and ya know, maybe screw this plowing and shoveling thing all together. My old Dodges crash right through it and her brand new toaster jeep did just fine on barely plowed roads last night. On the other hand, as I plowed up the neighbors driveway this morning he walked out and handed me this:

Attached picture 20201217_131620.jpg

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/18/20 12:41 PM

That looks good. Enjoy.

Re: My first snow fall in 45 years - 12/18/20 02:55 PM

This morning.

Attached picture received_958896364637517.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums