Moparts

The Blues Brothers Movie (1980)

Posted By: SattyNoCar

The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 04:18 AM

The Blues Brothers is my all time favorite movie and I've probably seen it hundreds of times, but never on the 'big screen'..............until tonight.

In celebration of the 40th anniversary of the movie, its being shown at select theaters around the country. My local theater happened to be one of them.

They played the released version, not the extended version.

There was commentary at the beginning and the end of the movie, but if you're anykind of fan, they didn't tell you anything new.

I didn't expect the theater to be packed for this, but I wasn't expecting only 3 people (including myself) either.

Regardless, I totally enjoyed it.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/blues-brothers-40th-anniversary

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BloFish

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 04:27 AM

laugh2
Posted By: hergfest

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 07:56 AM

There is a new Belushi Doc on Showtime that debuted last week, its fantastic. A lot of unreleased material.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 01:22 PM

a great movie for sure

Carsten
Posted By: MONC

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 02:33 PM

Wait, what?
There are movie theaters open with the state of the world today? work

BB is one of my all time favorite movies, and now my daughter is a fan.
What's not to like? Great music, great comedy, and great chase scenes ! grin
Posted By: wingman

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 02:49 PM

One of my all time favorites. Can almost quote it start to finish...
Posted By: a12rag

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 03:29 PM

Truly a classic !!!! . . . remember thinking that they made a movie about me & my "high school" group of friends !! LOL . . . incredible cast of stars too !!
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 04:21 PM

I used to get Halloween candy from Cab Calloway. He lived up the street from my grandfather.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 11/30/20 05:12 PM

The scenes with "The Penguin" had real-life meaning for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqkowVU5mZI
Posted By: fullonmopar

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/01/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by hergfest
There is a new Belushi Doc on Showtime that debuted last week, its fantastic. A lot of unreleased material.

We had a Blues Brothers doco on TV here in Australia years ago which showed a lot of un-released footage, I especially remember the footage of were they parked their car every night, it was in a sort of tunnel under I think a bridge or overpass. it explains were the car got its power from as the car was zapped by some force while in the tunnel, it explains a lot. Also I think he was the Mayor or some official of Chicago at the time who did not approve of the car chases in the streets, he was I think overruled, his name is mentioned a couple times in the movie.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/01/20 06:53 PM

One of my all time favorites too. Probably have seen it 50 times. Wish I could have seen it on big screen.

"We'll talk ta Bob" laugh
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/01/20 08:29 PM

One of the most quotable movies of all time.

My Dad (RIP) was never a fan of either Belushi or Aykroyd, but we bought him a VHS of the movie months after the movie was released. We were not sure if he would like it or not. Day after he watched it I asked him how he liked it. He was ecstatic - he said it was a "comedic masterpiece!"

It certainly is.
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/01/20 10:40 PM

Great movie that my whole family enjoys. We were in Chicago a couple of years ago and visited some locations that were filmed in the movie. Was nice to see them in person.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/01/20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Powerflow
Great movie that my whole family enjoys. We were in Chicago a couple of years ago and visited some locations that were filmed in the movie. Was nice to see them in person.

If you do instagram, there's a guy on there that goes by 'chicagobluesmobile' that gives tours of the filming locations in a lookalike bluesmobile. While the guy did this on his own, it caught the eye of Akroyd and (Jim) Belushi and is now endorsed and supported by them and their companies. Both of them have used this car for events and both of them have driven the car. It's pretty dang cool.

DUH....here's his website https://www.thechicagobluesmobile.com/

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/01/20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
One of the most quotable movies of all time.

My Dad (RIP) was never a fan of either Belushi or Aykroyd, but we bought him a VHS of the movie months after the movie was released. We were not sure if he would like it or not. Day after he watched it I asked him how he liked it. He was ecstatic - he said it was a "comedic masterpiece!"

It certainly is.
That's a nice story about your father smile

And yes, definitely one of the most quotable movies of all time! So many trivial ones too, such as "Mr. Man, Mr. Man"! I just found that to be a funny one that I repeat often.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/01/20 11:34 PM

Obviously the best one:

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 02:15 AM

I also liked "Mr. man, Mr. man!" I also regularly use "hey - did you get my Cheese Whiz?" when someone was supposed to have something for me. Also, "Hi - I'm Bob & this is MY place!" Both my daughters finally watched the movie years ago when they were in their later teens & they absolutely loved it. They quote from it as well quite often. We always laugh over Blues Brothers lines.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Obviously the best one:

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Fix the cigarette lighter.
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
Obviously the best one:

Fix the cigarette lighter.

haha haha haha

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 03:26 PM

The ultimate movie to quote.
Mr. Man is also one of my favorites, so subtle .

The restaurant scene ( with Pee Wee Herman cameo ) comes to mind,
" How much for the little girl, the women, how much for the women,...sell me your children "
Not politically correct of course, but funny as hell as Belushi scarfs down some lettuce from the guys salad.. grin

BB Rest Scene
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 03:53 PM

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 04:23 PM

Anytime the name Bob comes up, I have to say "We'll talk to Bob"
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 05:56 PM

"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips!!!" laugh2

"Illinois nazi's...whew... I HATE Illinois nazi's!!!"
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 07:45 PM

Fix the lighter is up near the top of my faves and so is how much for the children. You got us in to this parking lot is probably the top. Oddly saw some car chase clip from a movie like 8 years older than BB and it had a parking lot chase that looked kinda familiar.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 09:43 PM

Ah yes the mall scene , " The New Olds are in early this year... " wink
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 10:34 PM

The Bluesmobile was portrayed as being a surplus police car from my town.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluesmobile
I was in high school when the movie was being filmed, and I remember one day going to Victory auto wreckers in Bensenville, a suburb just south of O Hare airport, and the yard was full of stacks of wrecked police cars. When the movie came out, I figured out where they had come from!
I wish I had a camera with me so I would have pictures of them there at the boneyard.
Posted By: topside

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 11:48 PM

You can always tell who isn't from Chicago when Wacker Drive is mentioned.

Love the Country bar scenes, too...

Like "Blazing Saddles", lots of lines and scenes that'll never be done again...

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/02/20 11:55 PM

What kind of music?
"We got both kinds, Country and Western!" musik

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips!!!" laugh2

"Illinois nazi's...whew... I HATE Illinois nazi's!!!"
Yes, both good. The Orange Whip especially cracked me up.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 04:20 AM

From another movie released in 1980 and also very quotable, “Elihu, will you come and loofah my stretch marks”? 😂

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 04:39 AM

From another movie released in 1980 and also very quotable, “Elihu, will you come and loofah my stretch marks”? 😂

RAT FARTS!!! laugh
Posted By: jcc

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 04:15 PM

Dan Aykroyd was zoom interviewed on Stephen Colbert last night, it started off with his fascination with ex Gov pursuit vehicles, he has purchased 5, and at his age, Dan is certainly "jacked", and had a nice robust stereo in the background. up
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 09:49 PM

The music history in that movie is incredible. Cab Calloway, Aritha Franklin, james Brown, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, all the guys from the band were pivitol in making blues / motown music. Love the movie. The lines are great. Music is great.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 70HemiGTX
The music history in that movie is incredible. Cab Calloway, Aritha Franklin, james Brown, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, all the guys from the band were pivitol in making blues / motown music. Love the movie. The lines are great. Music is great.

...Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker, Sam and Dave, the soundtrack is as good as the movie itself.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 11:15 PM

...Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker, Sam and Dave, the soundtrack is as good as the movie itself.

Thanks for dropping those names. I couldn't remember them all. All stars!

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/03/20 11:42 PM

"Look - Pier One."

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/04/20 03:16 AM

Pier 1 Imports grin

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/04/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by DrCharles
Pier 1 Imports grin

This place has everything...
grin

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/05/20 02:44 AM

"Yes - toast. Dry white toast."

"Sh*t - they got S.C.M.O.D.S." (State, County, Municipal, Offender Data System).
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/05/20 07:05 AM

Years ago, I had a co-worker named Martin at the grocery store. I'm 5'10 ish, he was closer to 6'3". Back then, dress code at the store was black dress pants, white dress shirt, black tie, black shoes.....

He and I went for lunch one day and just before getting out of the car, he hands me a pair of sunglasses. As we walk in to this little sandwich place, the waitress sees us at the door and of course asks "For two?"

Martin goes: "We're on a mission..... from God."

I lost it. I hadn't put two and two together yet. But then it hit me. I knew him and I were friends for a reason.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/05/20 04:31 PM

I bought the soundtrack when I was a teen. Shows I was a smart music lover as a teen. Loved that John Lee Hooker tune from the soundtrack.

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/05/20 11:19 PM

" Loved that John Lee Hooker tune from the soundtrack"

They showed only a small part of this scene in the movie............

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/06/20 12:38 AM

Oh yeah, definitely longer scene up
Posted By: scrapmetal

Re: The Blues Brothers Movie (1980) - 12/08/20 01:43 AM

Great movie with good music
© 2024 Moparts Forums