Moparts

Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ...

Posted By: dIc dOc Deity !

Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 06:20 PM

.... those supposed BLACK FRIDAY priced items .. and those Pittsburgher tools ?

Some of this stuff was priced bester last month !
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 06:34 PM

One of the foundational lies of marketing is that "sale" means "reduced price".
In the marketing dictionary, "sale" only means "we want to move more of these".
I see it at the grocery stores all the time.

What's funny about HF is that their ads are inescapable, on or in every magazine & newspaper.
Also emails and in my mailbox from time to time.
Yet at the store, they never fail to ask "do you get our fliers ?"

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 06:40 PM

Interesting spin ts ...

But how about those BOGO ads ?

Where the “regular price” is way inflated tsk
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 06:44 PM

I do not hand out my phone number, email address or my personal info to any retailer,

I don't want their incessant barrage of advertising in any form whatsoever.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 06:47 PM

Incessant? eek

I’m getting almost DAILY emails from Hobo !

Maybe it’s that Pittsburgher thing ! grin
Posted By: Neil

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 06:53 PM

I have yet to step foot inside a HF store. wave
Posted By: HemiSportFury

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
It was a long time until one of their stores was built near me too.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 11:19 PM

My co-workers don't steal the Harbor Freight stuff. I fix printing presses with that junk every day. Some of it is better than others and the box I push out to the pressroom is full of it. The big box with the good stuff stays in the shop. boogie
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/21/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by HemiSportFury
Originally Posted by Neil
It was a long time until one of their stores was built near me too.

For many years the nearest HF was 100 miles away... a couple years ago they finally built one in Mountain Home, AR which is only 40 miles away wink
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 12:29 AM

Really poor quality tools. I simply avoid the place.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 01:39 AM

Some of youz apimp are ruff on tools tsk

Only thing I have complains with is the drill bits
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 03:08 AM

They opened a store here in our town about a year and a half ago, frankly, I don't see how they are going to stay in business, I never see any cars in the parking lot.

They have had a store about 40 miles away for many years. Years ago I bought a set of punches and chisels, best set of chisels I ever bought! I bought one of their socket sets about the same time, I've replaced a few sockets, but for the most part I'm still using that set. Can't say the same thing about that 90 degree die grinder, if it lasted 10 minutes that might be stretching the truth, but it wasn't worth the 80 mile round trip to get another just like it. I keep that pile in the drawer in my box to remind me. My experience with them is about 50/50, good to junk ratio. For something you only use a few times a year, or a single use tool, they seem to work OK for the cost.
We are going into the local store tomorrow, the old rickety step ladder I have is pretty unsafe, and they have a really good price on a new aluminum one, its something I will probably only use a few times a year. I gotta at least take a look at it. Gene
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 03:18 AM

Still loving my Pittsburgh brand ratchets and sockets, largest drill press they offer, tool boxes, wooden top rolling work bench and storage area, portable low noise air compressor, tig n mig welder rolling carts, heavy duty transmission jack, led flashlights, tire breakdown machine, free blue led flashlights, aluminum floor jack, and many more.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Still loving my Pittsburgh brand ratchets and sockets, largest drill press they offer, tool boxes, wooden top rolling work bench and storage area, portable low noise air compressor, tig n mig welder rolling carts, heavy duty transmission jack, led flashlights, tire breakdown machine, free blue led flashlights, aluminum floor jack, and many more.

Yep. If it works it works .A lot of it works pretty good. wrench
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 07:04 AM

Until a few years sgo you couldn't give me a HF tool. But then I worked with s guy who had a bunch of it and some of it was pretty darn nice. When I started at the packing plant most everyone had either Menard's boxes or HF. I got one of the 5 drawer rolly carts, filled it up, and that is all I have there. I did make the mistake of taking in one of my good Snap-On ratchets, and it grew legs and walked off. Won't make that mistake again. Most of the HF has life time warranty, so it works well for me. I tell people lifetime warranty isn't near as important now that I'm in my 60s as it was when I was 30. boogie
Posted By: 6PAX

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 12:47 PM

I have bought a lot of stuff from HF over the years from small hand tools to my large air compressor and my generator. The only tool I have bought from them that was pretty much junk was a set of metric taps/dies. The compressor as well as a couple of their air die grinders that I only paid 5 or 6 bucks for (which I have used a lot) are still going strong.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 01:18 PM

Harbor Freight would benefit from dropping their cheapest line of hand tools. You know- the Channel lock style pliers that slip and smash your fingers- the screw drivers with hard candy tips and socket sets not suitable for the kitchen drawer. These are the tool people think about when HF comes up. I like their good better best line of stuff. In Holland MI they moved into a Sears hardware store/building that was built in 2007. When it was Sears it was like Mattress Firm- NOBODY THERE. But as HF since 2018 its going like gangbusters.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 02:32 PM

You could always shop somewhere else. I'm sure they wouldn't be sorry to lose your business. laugh2
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 02:40 PM

Maybe the girl at the counter is a good looking Asian gal and that's the reason Flubberblast keeps going back! whistling
Posted By: moparx

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

um, DoC, flip that little LeVeR on your DriLL to the other SiDe............... biggrin whistling stirthepot
the bits will cut much BeStEr.................. laugh2
beer

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

um, DoC, flip that little LeVeR on your DriLL to the other SiDe............... biggrin whistling stirthepot
the bits will cut much BeStEr.................. laugh2
beer

Oleham2.......That must have been a strenuous post for you with all that key shifting.... I see yur napping 💤 now ... pity grin

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
Maybe the girl at the counter is a good looking Asian gal and that's the reason Flubberblast keeps going back! whistling

tBlooper ... thx fur the suggestion .... I haven’t been to Hobo in a while and there is a fine looking chick who is a cashier.... up

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
You could always shop somewhere else. I'm sure they wouldn't be sorry to lose your business. laugh2

Back ATCHA with yer fiendly posts ... nutTcharger!

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 06:16 PM

I beez liking my set of composite ratchets !

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/22/20 11:54 PM

We both know you're a terrible tipper, too. laugh2
Posted By: Faust

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 01:32 AM

This could be a long one. First, I don't think a nut knows what country the wrench is from. Second, I have had very poor luck with their smaller air tools, die grinders, etc. I notice that they are coming out with new "brands" all the time. I haven't had much experience with them, but my friend's reports are good. Before thinking of any big purchase (that's over $50.00 for me) I have learned to look through YouTube, there seems to be a few honest people who review the HF tools. A few years ago, I was looking for a small lathe. I picked up an article which compared all of them HF and a few others. The article made the point that even though some were better than others (HF not at top of list) they all came from the same factory in China. The makers knew perfectly well how to build a lathe, but they built them to specs supplied by the retailer. Better specs, better machine. In the end, I bought a 1943 South Bend 9", couldn't be happier.
Posted By: skicker

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 01:40 AM

Y'all do what you want but the colored sockets are the chit once your eyes start playing tricks on you...

I've beat the crap out of them with zero failures...Better yet I don't have to look at it to see what size it is... up

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by skicker
Y'all do what you want but the colored sockets are the chit once your eyes start playing tricks on you...

I've beat the crap out of them with zero failures...Better yet I don't have to look at it to see what size it is... up

Ohhhh ya my eyes love those colored sockets.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 01:46 PM

We ? .... too ? .... tsk.... SPEAK for yourself nutT ! ...

WE all know how cHeAp you insurance adjuster apimp are !

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 01:48 PM

You ole gEeZeRs should just get some crayons and DO UP yur regular sockets !

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 02:04 PM

You ole gEeZeRs should just get some crayons and DO UP yur regular sockets !

My mom took my Crayons away from me.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 02:20 PM

Paying at $18.79 restaurant tab with a $20 and telling them to keep the change doesn't make you a good tipper.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 02:27 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

Paying at $18.79 restaurant tab with a $20 and telling them to keep the change doesn't make me a good tipper. [/quote]

FIXED ... last nites meal for you ?

And TALK about HIGH JACKING a thread !
Posted By: 360view

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 02:58 PM

As the quality of the higher end mainland Chinese tools sold at Harbor Freight improves,
one must acknowledge that the quality of Chinese military equipment almost certainly is improving too.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 360view
As the quality of the higher end mainland Chinese tools sold at Harbor Freight improves,
one must acknowledge that the quality of Chinese military equipment almost certainly is improving too.

You better be careful stepping into this post. You may get coronavirus. Lol.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 05:37 PM

Yes indeedy.... nutTcharger is a potential SUPER SPREADER of that ... and fur sure .... lotsa BS !
Posted By: wingman

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 05:52 PM

one must acknowledge that the quality of Chinese military equipment almost certainly is improving too

Anyone who has been around a while or is a student of history will know that shortly after WW2 imported Japanese items were "junk". But their quality continually improved while the US and much of the world continued to dismiss them. By the 80s Japanese manufactured goods and electronics were state-of-the-art and several US industries were caught napping.

I have only been shopping in HF (on occasion) for the last 15 years or so, but even a casual observer would notice that the quality of a lot of the stuff has improved noticeably. We would be wise not to dismiss all Chinese-made items as "junk" out-of-hand anymore

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 05:56 PM

Yes indeedy.... nutTcharger is a potential SUPER SPREADER of that ... and fur sure .... lotsa BS !

Shouldn't you be out berating low wage earning employees?

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 06:21 PM

SEZ the cHeAp skate who just had a meal for $18.79 .....

... and paid with a 20 spot ! ... tsk

You insurance peeps ARE KNOWN to squeeze a nickel.....

.... and make the Buffalo fart ... whistling

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 06:55 PM

LOL I tip more in a month than you do in a year.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 07:22 PM

HF sells a lot of cheap junk gadgets for sure. But I have to say about 95% of my impact sockets came from there and for the money I have no complaints. All the tools I keep in my boat came from there too, if I drop something in the river or lake, no big deal.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 07:55 PM

Don’t let it out that Hobo sells cheap junk gadgets tsk

Rumor has it that a infamous insurance apimp just gives out one of those blue magnetic lites on each claim he handles .....

and in many cases ... THATS ALL THEY GET !

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 08:19 PM

I love those blue magnetic lights. We probably have 10-12 of them at home, in the cars, etc.

I'm bummed that there haven't been any "free with any purchase" coupons lately. No blue lights, no microfiber cloths, no AA batteries (though their batteries suck), no grabber tool...

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 08:26 PM

I love those blue magnetic lights. We probably have 10-12 of them at home, in the cars, etc.

I'm bummed that there haven't been any "free with any purchase" coupons lately. No blue lights, no microfiber cloths, no AA batteries (though their batteries suck), no grabber tool...

Google, screenshot, free flashlight

Attached picture 730E93E6-3EEC-4FF7-9B22-E25E27D6F5C6.png

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 08:37 PM

Nice! thumbs Thank you.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 08:44 PM

Nice! thumbs Thank you.

So HOW MUCH of a tip you going to leave for that minimum wage cashier ? tsk

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 08:51 PM

They're not tipped employees, but I'm sure as he!! not going to yell at them about their "phony ads." I'll leave that to people with too much time on their hands, and not enough sense to spend that time differently.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 08:59 PM

Nice! thumbs Thank you.

Your very welcome.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 09:01 PM

They're not tipped employees, but I'm sure as he!! not going to yell at them about their "phony ads." I'll leave that to people with too much time on their hands, and not enough sense to spend that time differently.

BACK ATCHA .., with that toooo much time. !

BTW ... what did you get for that $18.79 dining experience?

TWENTY DOLLARS total ! whistling

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/23/20 09:02 PM

When we go out, it's usually my wife and my younger daughter, sometimes my older daughter, sometimes some of their friends. I don't remember the last time I paid $18.79 for a meal. runaway

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/26/20 04:51 PM

They already have a missile which will hit a carrier, 600 miles at sea. that is greater than the effective range of the planes onboard.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/27/20 01:46 AM

Horror Freight and WalMart - no bueno.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/27/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Faust

They already have a missile which will hit a carrier, 600 miles at sea. that is greater than the effective range of the planes onboard.

According to whom? China? Oh they aren't know for lying at all. BTW, range of the F/A-18 is 1253 miles, a bit more than twice the alleged range of the missile you mention.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/27/20 05:03 AM

I have a Harbor Freight tool box for work, just like 3 other mechanics, it is as good as or better than the 2000.00 Craftsman I bought in 1999. It is good enough that I will probably get the 72" instead of the 44 and I make my living with tools. I used to love the lifetime warranty that craftsman had right up until they off shored their tools. Now it is not worth the time to send my Made int he USA back and get a Made in China in exchange. Oh did I mention I make my living with tools? I have several of their jacks and hoists and the only problem has been a check ball in one press that failed. A .03 cent ball bearing fixed the problem. Harbor freight is what you make of it. I do not buy many of their electric power tools but sometimes they get a good load of USA stuff also. My dad bought a 5hp Marathon Electric compressor motor made in Wausau Wi. and it was delivered for $200! I wish those deals would come around again. Tim
Posted By: 360view

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/27/20 11:07 AM

The Harbor Freight NiMH rechargeable AA batteries do test out at 2800 ma-hr.
The 9 volt rechargeable NiMH battery is 8.4 volts which is better than the typical 7.2 volts of some MiMH or NiCad batteries.

I prefer to keep rechargeable batteries in flashlights, radios and instruments because they do not leak corrosive materials.

With the 20% discount coupon the HF NiMH batteries are good value for less used stuff.

I have many Eneloop rechargeables for highly used stuff and the 1200+ recharges they do seem to be capable of make them valuable.
Today the Panasonic Eneloops are made in mainland China but
Fujitsu still runs the original Japanese eneloop factory.

Re: Anyone else tired of Hobo Frights phony ads ? ... - 11/30/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by Faust

According to whom? China? Oh they aren't know for lying at all. BTW, range of the F/A-18 is 1253 miles, a bit more than twice the alleged range of the missile you mention.

A confusion in terms here, by range I mean the maximum distance a plane can fly and return. You are speaking of the maximum distance it can fly. sing my definition and F?A-18 has a "range" of 600 miles, and then it would be on fumes. Not being able to return to the carrier can have unfortunate results, see "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo". According to whom? Well, the U.S. Navy, they are using the Chinese missile range as the reason for an improved version of the F/A-18 with far greater fuel capacity and range. As you probably know, China is also building islands far off shore. This is to increase the effective range of their missiles against any threat from the sea.
© 2024 Moparts Forums