Moparts

I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that....

Posted By: shanker

I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/02/20 09:09 PM

between their product availability (no inventory anywhere for what I'm looking for) and their prices, it only took me 40 minutes to make 4 baffles that fit their Cast Aluminum valve covers.

I'm installing my valve covers that I've had on the shelf for a long time and need baffles and grommets, I'm still on the hunt for a PCV grommet (or three)

Attached picture MPValveCoverBaffles01.jpg
Attached picture MPValveCoverBaffles02.jpg
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/02/20 09:16 PM

You're more industrious than me. wink I made a shield one time from the side of an oil can. Didn't look as good as yours either. grin

I got breathers and grommets from Pep Boys I believe (been a few years). Mancini shows them.

Tim
Posted By: tboomer

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/02/20 09:18 PM

I think I bought mine from Summit Racing. I do not have a part number for the grommets,they were made by Moroso. wave
Posted By: GY3

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/02/20 09:23 PM

They aren't even on my radar for parts anymore.

Someone else makes the parts and they mark them up 60%.

So often they don't fit or have issues, too.
Posted By: topside

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/02/20 10:41 PM

Oh, don't get me started on MP crap...
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 12:52 AM

I couldn't find my baffles when putting the MP cast covers on, so I made new ones from a piece of aluminum roof flashing. They work fine.

(Then the next day I found the baffles while looking for something else) rolleyes
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 12:58 AM

X1000

Originally Posted by topside
Oh, don't get me started on MP crap...
Posted By: dOc !

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 01:10 AM

Don’t get ME STARTED on them .....

I sold hood scoops to them for a total of 5 years.....

Working DIRECTLY with DC or MP was ok .., but actually getting paid by Chrysler was a MAJOR PAIN.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 01:10 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Performance-Valve-Cover-Baffles-and-Screws-Set-P5007052/312894797433

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 02:11 AM

Beings how that Mopar Performance doesn't making anything for cars older than 2003 they probably won't care.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 02:35 AM

DON'T use the rubber grommets found in the 'help' section. They suck bad! I used a set on my valve covers and didn't get two years out of them. flame
Posted By: demon

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 02:35 AM

My buddy was so frustrated with his MP cast aluminum valve covers leaking, that he replaced them with the MP retro chrome Direct Connection valve covers. the cast aluminum covers were mishapen or cast wrong at the bolt holes, and they leaked at all the bolts
Posted By: BSharp

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 12:20 PM

McMaster-Carr is a good source for grommets. They're organized by all dimensions, as well as composition and hardness. Most parts-store grommets, even NAPA, specify an ID and OD, but the OD is the grommet's overall diameter, not the hole it fits in. Also spec'd is thickness, which again is the overall grommet thickness, not the panel thickness. The dimensions you really need aren't provided.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 12:25 PM

Years ago DC/MP was a decent place to buy stuff. They'd repackage regular parts under a DC part number and sell for less than regular parts over the dealer counter. This was back when they supported the small guy racers out there.

Of course there were times when the stuff they repackaged was defective and you got the "no warranty" dodge when it bit you.

Now it's nothing more than them putting their name on other people's stuff and charging a bling premium.

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by demon
My buddy was so frustrated with his MP cast aluminum valve covers leaking, that he replaced them with the MP retro chrome Direct Connection valve covers. the cast aluminum covers were mishapen or cast wrong at the bolt holes, and they leaked at all the bolts

They put out a big batch of wrapped valve covers. I have a couple as wall art.
Posted By: moparx

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by DrCharles
I couldn't find my baffles when putting the MP cast covers on, so I made new ones from a piece of aluminum roof flashing. They work fine.

(Then the next day I found the baffles while looking for something else) rolleyes

well, of course. you always find stuff in the last place you look............... biggrin
beer
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 05:15 PM

If you need to vent you could always call up my buddy Don and let him know how you feel.
He's at home probably taking MP and Accessory calls in his underwear, and he's also got a real nice Ford Ranger with a small block Chevy engine in it out in his barn.
(He doesn't have any Mopars, he just doesn't like 'em very much.)

Sure enjoyed helping folks out with stuff like this, back when I was in the middle of it.

I know where there USED TO be hundreds, if not thousands of those exact baffles and grommets, as they were the packager.... but unfortunately the place went out of business, and
being all too familiar with industry paradigms those pieces of metal have probably already been turned into Kias or something.
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2019/08/adrian-based-venchurs-inc-to-lay-off-152-employees.html

I don't know the whole lowdown on stuff like that anymore, but it would not surprise me if losing the packager was one of the reasons
most of those cast valve covers and a whole bunch of other things ended up being discontinued.

'

Posted By: shanker

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 05:50 PM

The WIde ones are the ones I wanted for the Duster. I suspect they'll be gone forever. I never knew they existed until this week.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4876124

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 06:36 PM

All of the valve covers and everything else for our old Mopars were discontinued because FCA doesn't give a crap about the old stuff. All they carry now is 2003 and newer stuff.
Buy it all up now because when Summit and Jeggs runs out thats it. No more is being made.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 10:25 PM

Mine came with baffles but I don't remember if they came with gromets or I bought them separate but at the time they were no big deal to get. The problem I had with them is you pretty much have to take a hole saw to them to knock out the holes neatly.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/03/20 11:38 PM

Try calling their Mopar Performance phone line for assistance...guy hung up on me and every time I'd call back he'd pick up and then hung right up. There was simply no alternative to complain to.

Proform makes a lot of Mopar branded stuff now... alternators, valve covers, ignitions...and it's all lowest bidder junk. Sad
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/04/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by moparx

well, of course. you always find stuff in the last place you look............... biggrin
beer

Of course, because you stop looking then! whistling
Posted By: moparx

Re: I would like to tell someone at Mopar Performance that.... - 11/04/20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

beer

Of course, because you stop looking then! whistling

i know. i just couldn't resist. laugh2
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums