Moparts

Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid

Posted By: DirectSubjection

Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 01:50 AM

As a fan of Spaceballs, love the name!

0-6 under 2 seconds, 1/4 mile in under 9 seconds. 1.30.3 lap time at Laguna Seca puts it in rarefied air, and the only sedan i could find before I got tired of scrolling down the list of times.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34115854/tesla-model-s-plaid-1100-hp-pre-order/

Check out the lap here - it sure accelerates! :

Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 01:59 AM

Wonder how many laps you could make on a single charge?

shruggy

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by moparpollack
Wonder how many laps you could make on a single charge?

shruggy

Its said to have a 520 mile range, but I am sure it uses more power driving like that laugh2
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 04:06 AM

Not very many! Range miles are for steady state driving. The range drops really fast when you are going up a hill or going WOT.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 11:41 AM

They also say it runs 8's, but that's not happening with 1100hp and 5000+lbs weight. Also, with the amount of money tesla has why has this car not been updated in 9-10 years? It should be able to literally levitate by now.

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6776
They also say it runs 8's, but that's not happening with 1100hp and 5000+lbs weight. Also, with the amount of money tesla has why has this car not been updated in 9-10 years? It should be able to literally levitate by now.

Can the Mustang? its been around a lot longer and its a lot slower
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by DirectSubjection

And the Mustang has repeatedly been updated and improved since the 64 1/2 version first came out.

Fail.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

And the Mustang has repeatedly been updated and improved since the 64 1/2 version first came out.

Fail.

His point is "Can the Mustang run 8's [or anything near 9's]? It's been around longer.". The point is not "how often has the Mustang been updated".
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda

Fail.

His point is "Can the Mustang run 8's [or anything near 9's]? It's been around longer.". The point is not "how often has the Mustang been updated".

For a $1400 I can buy a Mustang that will beat every Tesla ever made from LA to NYC.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 07:52 PM

Buddy of mine has a newer 5.0 with a Rousch blower on it. Guy with a new Tesla comes into his shop saying Youtube videos prove his Tesla will run 10:50's and calls my buddy out for $1000 heads-up. Guy has never been on a dragstrip in his life. My buddy helped him figure out the tree and such and they ran twice. Tesla did not run 10 anything, and he did pay up.

No matter how much technology your car has, you still have to know how to drive it.

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 08:58 PM

Yeah the internet is full of Tesla fails like that. A Tesla can be deadly quick at the track but the driver and the car need to be dialed in. I don't know what the Plaid weighs but if it is 5000 lbs then 1100 hp would be good for 9.50 if it hooks right all the way down the track. All wheel drive helps them hook but the tires still need to be correct and the track needs to be prepped. I'm not sure what the fast electric cars are going for their launch technique. The average driver is just going to hold the car with the brake pedal and then stomp on the accel pedal but that takes some time. Not sure if they equip the cars with a line lock or what they use. To hook up the torque probably needs to be modulated. I think these cars have traction control built in but I'm not sure how it works at the track. Maybe there is a track mode in the SW?

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/03/20 09:28 PM

Right now the quickest EV is supposedly the Lucid Air with 1100hp and it runs 9.30's, all I can find is 4630lbs but not sure if that's the tri motor one

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 01:03 AM

The Ford electric Mustang drag car is making around 1500 hp and running in the 8 second range.
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/electr...e-to-gas-powered-mustang-but-beats-chevy
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 01:04 AM

For a $1400 I can buy a Mustang that will beat every Tesla ever made from LA to NYC.

That's cool.

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
The Ford electric Mustang drag car is making around 1500 hp and running in the 8 second range.

"The run did give Ford battery-powered bragging rights over Chevy, whose 700 hp eCOPO Camaro clocked a quarter-mile of 9.837 seconds at 134.07 mph last year."

Will be interesting to see where the AWD Plaid will end up, but its very impressive for a full street sedan
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 02:07 AM

OMG - they have gone to plaid???

Attached picture Plaid.jpg

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 02:08 AM

"The run did give Ford battery-powered bragging rights over Chevy, whose 700 hp eCOPO Camaro clocked a quarter-mile of 9.837 seconds at 134.07 mph last year."

Will be interesting to see where the AWD Plaid will end up, but its very impressive for a full street sedan

Pretty sure the next camaro is going to be electric, teaser pic pretty much confirms it. All development of a new Z/28 and other engines was abruptly stopped just before covid happened.

Attached picture cc7305d40583f4e4a8bb0292d93095b0.jpg
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 02:33 AM

I put a deposit down on one

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by McCandlessboy
I put a deposit down on one

Cool!!!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 02:48 PM

I remember when the Hellcats first came out someone published a funny list of instructions for new Hellcat owners.

One of the instructions was "Do not run electric cars!"
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/04/20 03:01 PM

How long has the Charger/Challenger platform been around? whistling
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/05/20 12:14 AM

How much coal to charge that thing?

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/05/20 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

How long has the Charger/Challenger platform been around? whistling

That was kinda my underlining point, money is tight at FCA, it isn't at Tesla yet they are taking the same approach, leave the car the same and just keep adding power.

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/05/20 01:03 AM

Tesla will continue to spend money on gadgets and tech and performance over quality, because their customers don't really care that the quality is mediocre at best.

That said, I'd love to ride in or drive this thing. I wouldn't want to own one, not for that level of quality relative to the price point, but I'm sure the ride would be fun.

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/05/20 04:03 AM

Yeah I don't have any interest in owning a Tesla since the dealer network is zilch and Musk is an azz hat so you know the customers will get the short end of the stick. But it is kind of fun watching them go crazy adding power to the cars. I'm sure it is going to go badly for some customers in the near future. The number of average drivers who can handle 1000 hp responsibly is zero. Most race car drivers never get their hands on 1000 hp much less people who only have a few hours of driving education from the gym teacher.

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/05/20 06:24 AM

Yeah I don't have any interest in owning a Tesla since the dealer network is zilch and Musk is an azz hat so you know the customers will get the short end of the stick. But it is kind of fun watching them go crazy adding power to the cars. I'm sure it is going to go badly for some customers in the near future. The number of average drivers who can handle 1000 hp responsibly is zero. Most race car drivers never get their hands on 1000 hp much less people who only have a few hours of driving education from the gym teacher.

Its selectable power, and at the crazy levels the batteries don't last long at all, most will be left in regular mode IMO, some owners (possibly most) won't even use max power mode ever.
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/05/20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Tesla will continue to spend money on gadgets and tech and performance over quality, because their customers don't really care that the quality is mediocre at best.

That said, I'd love to ride in or drive this thing. I wouldn't want to own one, not for that level of quality relative to the price point, but I'm sure the ride would be fun.

How do you know what the quality will be of a car that hasn't been built yet? I get the past can be a predictor of the future, but based on that logic there is a long period where nothing mopar should have been built based off of terrible reliability. I put a deposit down, which is refundable. If they're even close on their performance predictions, there is nothing close in that price range.

For better or worse Tesla is going to force other car manufactures to drastically change the consumers expectations of what an electric car should be. Making Fiat/Ford/Chevrolet step up their game with whatever they come out with. My hope is that I can generate enough power from solar near my place to charge the car, if not, that's ok, I'll at least try. I'm far from an environmentalist, but will do my best to minimize my impact if I can.

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/05/20 01:17 PM

How do you know what the quality will be of a car that hasn't been built yet? I get the past can be a predictor of the future

I don't. My comment was regarding the quality of Tesla cars overall. It's not very good, but Tesla enthusiasts don't seem to mind. That's fine. It's their money, not mine. Enjoy your car. I'm sure it will be a blast to drive. thumbs
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/13/20 05:10 PM

That E mustang looks like a piece of crap, the front got hit with an ugly stick, same with the back. It doesn't even look like a mustang so I don't know how they can even call it that. Look at the price of it, The GT version, which get you 0-60 mid 3s and only a range of 250 miles per charge (estimated at that too!), is about $5000 more than the performance Model 3 and that does 0-60 in 3.2 and a 300 mile range. The quality of a Tesla is not "mediocre" either, at least not the model 3. You may not like Musk, but he is basically a spokesperson, to get people interested in the car and he does a fantastic job of that. When their truck comes out, and yes it is ugly, it is going to kill Ford's sales. I wouldn't hold any hope for an E camaro being any better either.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Tesla 1,100hp Model S Plaid - 10/13/20 06:11 PM

If you are looking to play with electric mustangs check this out Performance and classic looks. http://www.bloodshedmotors.com/
© 2024 Moparts Forums