Moparts

Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm"

Posted By: DirectSubjection

Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 01:25 AM

Come on - every boy dreamed of doing this back in the day laugh

https://news.yahoo.com/man-goes-full-dukes-hazzard-190000163.html
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 01:55 AM

Who can resist, there was a set of raised railroad tracks back at my home town that if I hit it at about 60 I could get 6 feet of air in my Daytona.

The good old days.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 02:21 AM

Need all kinds of pictures. Funny story.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 02:42 AM

C'mon, there wasn't a security camera around that caught this? realmad

A had a beater '72 Coronet Wagon when I lived back East that I launched REAL good one day on a backroad in CT. There was this random 'hump' that looked like they paved over either a boulder or a VW Bug, Nothing like it on the rest of the road. It was big enough that it had a sign with flashing lights to slow to 15MPH........ I hit it at about 50. shock Not sure how high I went, but the landing bent the body to where the doors wouldn't open, broke both motor mounts, and knocked a chunk out of the transmission at the bottom of the bellhousing. Oh, and the bump stops above the rear axle were pretty much pushed up into the frame. eek Amazingly, the car didn't stall out, and I drove it home. After a few door adjustments, I continued to drive it a few more months.

Almost 27 yrs later, my tailbone still hurts. blush
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 11:12 AM

Boy that takes me back. Local railroad tracks, back in 1979. I think it was my Duster at the time. Thinking nobody was around, I hit them rolling pretty good...while air born, I see the cop car approaching from the other direction. So...of course he pulled me over. Back in those days, cops were willing to recognize a stupid kid. I get a stern warning and he told me that there were no tires close to the ground and all he saw was suspension. Those were the days.
Posted By: DUFFMAN

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

A had a beater '72 Coronet Wagon when I lived back East :

I just picked up my third 1972 Coronet sedan a few weeks ago. I've always wanted a wagon though.

Attached picture IMG_5085.JPG
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 12:31 PM

Maybe 10 years ago I was driving along in my '94 Ram 1500 4x4 when this yahoo in some random, normal car starts tailgating me, like up under my bumper. Really? So I realize this guy can see nothing but the pumpkin of my rear axle. We are coming down a steep hill that had a super abrupt set of railroad tracks at the bottom. I sped up and this guy stayed tight to my back bumper . So I sped up more...way faster than I would normally cross these tracks. I raised my azz up off the seat and braced myself. I knew the Ram could take the hit...I banged across those tracks and launched the Ram, the whole time watching my rearview mirror. I can still recall two things: the 30', heavy tow chain in my bed suspended in mid air and the crash landing of the ChevFordToyaHondaru behind me as it wobbled around and made its way to the berm and came to a stop. Ah, good times.
For those of you familiar with Heath, Ohio this was on Irving Wick Dr.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 01:45 PM

The author of that article must be from my generation. He referenced The Dukes of Hazzard AND Ducktales.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldjonny
Boy that takes me back. Local railroad tracks, back in 1979. I think it was my Duster at the time. Thinking nobody was around, I hit them rolling pretty good...while air born, I see the cop car approaching from the other direction. So...of course he pulled me over. Back in those days, cops were willing to recognize a stupid kid. I get a stern warning and he told me that there were no tires close to the ground and all he saw was suspension. Those were the days.

shou;da asked him if he snapped a pic! (I know before cell phones.)
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Who can resist, there was a set of raised railroad tracks back at my home town that if I hit it at about 60 I could get 6 feet of air in my Daytona.

The good old days.

Back in the late 70's my friend had a very nice 70 Charger RT 440 4 speed Dana. He would do that sometimes. Broke a couple oil pans.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by HoosierTA
Originally Posted by Sniper

The good old days.

Back in the late 70's my friend had a very nice 70 Charger RT 440 4 speed Dana. He would do that sometimes. Broke a couple oil pans.

LOL...must have been a "thing" back in the day. We had a double set of tracks.....if ya hit the first set right you could clear the second set. Did that riding in the bed of a pickup a couple times....that was interesting...lol. One kid didn't hit them quite right and ended up in the creek next to the tracks...would have loved to hear him explain that to dad.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 06:54 PM

Summer 1976 (BEFORE Dukes and BEFORE Smokey and the Bandit). There is a street that has a steep underpass under some railroad tracks here in Fresno. The trick was to get straight, nail the throttle, and get light in the front end coming out the other end...BUT, about a 1/4 mile away was a bridge over a ditch. That also had steep ramps in those days (much longer these days). One night I told my buddy that I wasn't going to lift. I looked down at the speedometer on the '69 Fury III as we hit the approach, 98 mph. As we crested the bridge and CLEARED the ramp the speedometer immediately pegged...airborn...then a PERFECT four-point landing...I turned to my buddy and said, "Well, we survived that. Let's not do that again...".Oh, and this is also a 35 mph residential street...

Allegedly. And since my buddy can't seem to remember anything from those days I think I'm good...never did tell my parents about it...
Posted By: RobG

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 07:09 PM

30 years (or so) ago, we had a drop off on north bound Mount Vernon Rd near Romeo, Mi. "Jacob" hill because it was in front of their farm. Guys would catch air off that hill and try to control the landing because it was a dirt road - you never knew how rutted it would be.

We had fun until the county road commission leveled a good chunk of it.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 09:32 PM

My old frat bros will testify I've had my 68 Charger airborne, the frat house was on a corner and the cross street made a great ramp!
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 09:57 PM

my Dukes of Hazzard dreams didn't involve jumping a car....

Attached picture Dh_daisy.jpg

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/18/20 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by DUFFMAN
Originally Posted by Satilite73

A had a beater '72 Coronet Wagon when I lived back East :

I just picked up my third 1972 Coronet sedan a few weeks ago. I've always wanted a wagon though.

The wagon I had, had three wheels in the junkyard already when I got it runaway. It had big, thick, spots of bondo in the top of both fenders, the passenger side one came loose one day. flipped back into the windshield, and cracked the glass! laugh2

The wagon was a blast because it was just a beater and was never intended to be anything else.

Aside from the fun of it, the only thing I miss about it is that I got it for free. Nowadays, it would have been a $1500 car all day long.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/19/20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by RobG
30 years (or so) ago, we had a drop off on north bound Mount Vernon Rd near Romeo, Mi. "Jacob" hill because it was in front of their farm. Guys would catch air off that hill and try to control the landing because it was a dirt road - you never knew how rutted it would be.

We had fun until the county road commission leveled a good chunk of it.

When I was a junior in high school (1976) there was a bridge with a steep ramp on each end. A popular activity was to drive up the ramp fast enough to get airborne.

A guy in my class tried it in a Jeep. Rolled it on landing. He died. Passenger died. 9th grade girl in the back seat was paralyzed, at least for a while. shock

It became much less popular after that.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/19/20 05:04 AM

As a Guy who has raced Motocross I can say from experience: those raised bridges are a perfect double. You can't miss and if you have the right speed you will do no damage. twocents

This Guy blew all his tires out because he had too much speed and over-shot the landing. No big deal, he got his practice lap, he'll get it right next time. up

I'd definitely try it on my bike, or someone else's car. There would have to be some money involved.......... whistling
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/19/20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by basketcase
my Dukes of Hazzard dreams didn't involve jumping a car....

I like how you think...
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/20/20 04:38 PM

Why did he do it? Because he could,that's why? The guy who bought my moms 70 Charger R/T SE did the same thing,and one K frame,right lower control arm,and an oil pan later,the car was good as new!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/21/20 01:08 AM

My son grew up watching the Dukes. All through his early teen years, Duke jumps were what he had fun with. Fast forward to his 1st car. Daddy bought him a pretty nice Chrysler 5th Ave, not exactly what he thought he should have gotten, he didn't like it much.
So one day, he comes to my shop, with the full exhaust hanging on the ground. Said he didn't have any idea how it happened. Yea, right! I had to brush a lot of gravel off the top of everything under the car. I told him not to be doing any more Dukes jumps with the car. About a month later, I saw he had come back to the shop after hours and repaired the exhaust again, but didn't say anything. A few years after the car was gone, he was telling me how he had all his buddies in the car and went to a closed gravel pit and they were doing Dukes Jumps. He said the last one, when the exhaust broke, he had a car full, and had all 4 wheels off the ground! All his friends were amazed. That was when I asked him about the 2nd time for the exhaust fix. He was stunned, he didn't know I knew about that one. I told him I had resources and knew about a lot of the stuff he thought he got away with. OH yea, that 2nd exhaust fix? There was a bunch of guys in the car, and another bunch watching. He had to prove the 5th Ave was up to the task.
Some day I'll tell you what he did with my 4x4 truck! His friends were always impressed with my Mopars.Gene
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/21/20 09:33 PM

Here we go - film was at 11...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADZ4z0XJgU&feature=youtu.be

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/21/20 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Here we go - film was at 11...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADZ4z0XJgU&feature=youtu.be

It was a Stratus? And, it doesn't look like ALL four tires blew out..........

There's gotta be footage of the jump somewhere........... scope
Posted By: A12

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/22/20 12:12 AM

The drawbridge operator in Sat's video had it right "The Blues Brothers" not the Duke boys. Could be wrong but don't remember the Duke boys ever jumping a drawbridge? They jumped water, river, ramps but never from or by a drawbridge. Just say no to whip cream cans tsk laugh2

Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Police: "He was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm" - 09/22/20 12:56 AM

Dang - its not a Charger as reported
© 2024 Moparts Forums