Moparts

Dealing with Depression

Posted By: DUFFMAN

Dealing with Depression - 09/16/20 11:15 PM

The last few years I haven't been feeling right, fatigued, irritable, have trouble focusing, and I lost interest in things I used to get joy out of, like Mopars. A few years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, which I though was the reason, but even after getting that under control I haven't been able to get out of this funk and it has been impacting every aspect of my life. I finally made an appointment to talk to a doctor tomorrow about depression. I don't know what else I can do, but I need to find a way to get out of this and get my previous life back.

Anyone else been through this?
Posted By: challengersteve

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/16/20 11:26 PM

Hello, you may want to check into the food you are eating. The gut microbiome health has a huge influence on your brain chemical function. If you do not have the right ratio of healthy gut bacteria or a yeast overgrowth issue this could be affecting a lot more than your brain. Are you eating healthy, fresh organic food? If not then you are consuming TONS of highly processed chemicals and toxins. This WILL make a huge difference on how you feel mentally. I would highly recommend you go to youtube (Dr Eric Berg, Dr Mark Hyman, Dr Sten Ekberg) for some research into this before you go to the doctor and get on some toxic anti depressant. Just my opinion but I know it has worked great for me.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/16/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by DUFFMAN
The last few years I haven't been feeling right, fatigued, irritable, have trouble focusing, and I lost interest in things I used to get joy out of, like Mopars. A few years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, which I though was the reason, but even after getting that under control I haven't been able to get out of this funk and it has been impacting every aspect of my life. I finally made an appointment to talk to a doctor tomorrow about depression. I don't know what else I can do, but I need to find a way to get out of this and get my previous life back.

Other than the type 2 diabetes, yes I have.

Speaking to your doctor is the first step. I would expect your doctor to refer you to a counselor to discuss your situation and move forward from that point.

One important thing to keep in mind, you're not alone, you're not unique. Depression affects many people.

Good luck and here's to your first step getting back to having an enjoyable life.

Mike.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 01:15 AM

My GP who knows me well put me on a "helper" as he calls it and the difference is amazing. I resisted the idea for a long time but finally gave in. I would say to stay away from anything that you may become dependent on. There are some drugs out there that can be a real nightmare to get off of. Talk to to him about it . up
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 01:28 AM

Well, I live your pain, from a different angle. My wife suffers with depression and anxiety which leads to anger. It’s hard to take sometimes. She went the meds long ago before we met and that caused more problems than it solved. The std American diet and the pills that std medicine throws at you are the problem. I agree %100 with Steve. My wife does much better on organic food, no sugars and no preservatives. She has stomach issues with grains and some vegetables. We think that because the meds screwed up her gut. She is borderline leaky gut syndrome. When she eats the wrong food, she turns into Mr. Hyde. She watches a Dr. Edwards out of Lubbock on YouTube. He’s helped a lot. She is more sensitive than most people. I had a brief bout with it going through my divorce in 2010. My Daughters support helped me get over it. I know that I feel better eating clean. I can run off and eat fast food cooked in Conala oil and it tears me up now.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by challengersteve
Hello, you may want to check into the food you are eating. The gut microbiome health has a huge influence on your brain chemical function. If you do not have the right ratio of healthy gut bacteria or a yeast overgrowth issue this could be affecting a lot more than your brain. Are you eating healthy, fresh organic food? If not then you are consuming TONS of highly processed chemicals and toxins. This WILL make a huge difference on how you feel mentally. I would highly recommend you go to youtube (Dr Eric Berg, Dr Mark Hyman, Dr Sten Ekberg) for some research into this before you go to the doctor and get on some toxic anti depressant. Just my opinion but I know it has worked great for me.

iagree For the longest time I struggled with depression, always felt lethargic, went to see (several) Docs about it, and lost interest in seeking their help when I had asked about a drug I had seen on TV, and the Doc was like "oh sure, we can try that too". That told me he was more interested in pushing something than actually finding the cure (I basically knew it, this just emphasized it).

My turning point came when the whole 'Gluten Free' craze started. I looked into it and figured I'd give it a try. In less than a month I noticed a change. I didn't have the weight loss so many claim, BUT, after switching to a Gluten Free diet, I'm still not a bundle of energy, but I have a lot more snap, I no longer feel lethargic, my focus is a lot better, and I haven't had any kind of allergy attack since the switch. And my stomach has been a LOT happier, I no longer feel bloated.

That being said, I will admit I'm not fanatical about Gluten Free. I just can't bring myself to spend $5 or more for a loaf of bread, or $15 for a frozen pizza just because its Gluten Free. I've chosen to do without for the most part and just have 'regular' breads in moderation. The problem is the wheat in these products.Wheat is used in a lot more products then you'd realize. Aside from the obvious bread, even meat products have it added, beer, candies, and much more.

Regardless whether Gluten Free or not, as we get older, our bodies change, and we can't eat what we used to. A lot of times it comes down to you paying attention to what you're eating and how it makes you feel rather than expecting a Doctor to figure it out for you.

twocents
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 05:00 AM

Every day for the past 9.5 yrs since my son died. Depression sucks. Met w/ psychiatrist, counselor's, and my MD. They tried multiple drugs. Most made me so flat I didn't care about anything. Others made me violent and the slightest aggregation made me want to hurt people. Got off all the drugs. I don't sleep more than.a ccouple hrs at a time then toss and turn for hrs and sleep a little more.

Not trying to scare you but the only way I get thru each day is remembering I have two other sons that need me. So I put on a fake front. It's all I can do. Staying busy with projects; at home, my sons house and my cars help. Its still not the same and I know I'm not the person I was. I feel very bad for my wife. She deserves better.

I hope you have better luck than I have.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 07:08 AM

Maybe your Testosterone levels are below normal.
A few years back when I turned 50 I was feeling unmotivated, bored and I had little interest in doing anything but work and sleep. My T numbers were checked and found to be average. Time passed and I snapped out of it.
I'm not on any meds except when I overwork myself and need anti-inflammatory Motrin or Tylenol.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 07:09 AM

My Brother in law was tested......His number came back at 39. Yeah, they immediately started him on a program to get it up over 250 !
Posted By: jcc

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 11:20 AM

"I finally made an appointment to talk to a doctor tomorrow about depression."

I am far from an expert on such an important subject, but asking for help has got to be a very encouraging sign on a road to recovery. up
I hope you overcome this.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 11:52 AM

My wife is gluten free or she could not survive. I think there is more too this whole glyphosate poison than the government is willing to admit. It is sprayed on everything. It is drenched on wheat. I know plenty of wheat farmers in Texas. I won’t even hunt deer in wheat fields anymore. Our wheat is so genetically modified, it not like is was long ago. Some of us that have been exposed to lots of chemicals in the auto hobby are figuring this stuff is not good for us. If you can put a patch on the skin and it medicates you then what does this stuff do when it hits our hands? Think about it.

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

I am far from an expert on such an important subject, but asking for help has got to be a very encouraging sign on a road to recovery. up

I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is depression. Hopefully the doctor will help me figure that out.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 03:57 PM

Beat; f luck and hopefully you can get either help or answers to manage what you are going thru.
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 05:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------

" Beer is the reason I wake up every afternoon. "

Respectfully, I would say you may need look no further than this.

Coming from someone who also likes his beer, and has been feeling the same way at times.

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by EV2RTSE

Coming from someone who also likes his beer, and has been feeling the same way at times.

That signature is kind of in jest because it's the catch phrase for one of our local brewers.

But yes, I do like beer. Probably more than Tom T Hall. I've stopped drinking for the last couple of weeks hoping that it might help. So far it hasn't, but maybe it hasn't been long enough?
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is depression. Hopefully the doctor will help me figure that out.

Recognizing a problem and seeking help is the first step up beer

Diet can certainly make a difference, but sometimes a pill is needed. And that's ok.

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 11:32 PM

So I saw a doctor today and she said that depression is very common right now because many of the things people use to cope with their problems have been cancelled or simply not possible.

Anyway, she agreed I should quit drinking for awhile and prescribed me a mild anti-depressant and something to help me sleep. I've got another appointment to see her in 6 weeks. If things don't improve we'll try something else.
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/17/20 11:53 PM

So I saw a doctor today and she said that depression is very common right now because many of the things people use to cope with their problems have been cancelled or simply not possible.

iagree

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/18/20 12:43 AM

Anyway, she agreed I should quit drinking for awhile and prescribed me a mild anti-depressant and something to help me sleep. I've got another appointment to see her in 6 weeks. If things don't improve we'll try something else.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol or a cigarette in over 3 years. my Dr said for years i was self medicating with the beer. I can only say that i feel much better than I did and have dealt with some pretty severe issues without much problem. I'm staying the course for now and will continue to take his advice. Good luck and keep us posted up
Posted By: billohio

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/18/20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by fastmark
My wife is gluten free or she could not survive. I think there is more too this whole glyphosate poison than the government is willing to admit. It is sprayed on everything. It is drenched on wheat. I know plenty of wheat farmers in Texas. I won’t even hunt deer in wheat fields anymore. Our wheat is so genetically modified, it not like is was long ago. Some of us that have been exposed to lots of chemicals in the auto hobby are figuring this stuff is not good for us. If you can put a patch on the skin and it medicates you then what does this stuff do when it hits our hands? Think about it.

There is no such thing as GMO wheat. You can not spray glyphosate on wheat. If you do, it will die.

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/18/20 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by billohio
Originally Posted by fastmark

There is no such thing as GMO wheat. You can not spray glyphosate on wheat. If you do, it will die.

Genetically
Modified
Organism

Wheat can definitely be GMO, however, it's not one of the crops that has been genetically modified.
https://gmoanswers.com/ask/what-are...gCFixOCeCJwD8GeF61t5PWjjLDBoCrxgQAvD_BwE
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/18/20 03:07 AM

The way I understand it is that its not that the wheat was modified, how its processed has changed as well as what is added to give it longer shelf life. shruggy

Some say what is added when wheat is removed to make something 'Gluten Free' is just as bad if not worse, I don't know. I just know I do feel better following a Gluten Free diet.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/18/20 03:45 AM

Stop watching the news!!!
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/18/20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Stop watching the news!!!

iagree
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/19/20 04:54 PM

I'm glad you made an appointment! If you don't like the doctor, go to another! And you are definitely NOT alone, remember that. Depression runs in my family. So I've studied it in order to be understanding and knowledgeable. While I believe your food intake could have an effect, sometimes the chemical inbalance may require medication. But hey, if the eating healthier certainly can't hurt, right?!

Just know that there is help. The symptoms you described are depression, spot on. Someone mention low testosterone. That could be partly the problem, but not all with what you described. Simple test, part of a blood test. Don't just start taking one of these OTC products they advertise like crazy. Get it tested. Last time I had a blood test I asked to have mine tested What the heck, I figured. Mine was in the normal range. Glad I didn't fall for one of the commercials that say "Men, after 30 your testosterone levels start dropping".

You're on the right track. You made that first step to feeling better!
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/20/20 08:35 PM

1. Turn off the news! (As already mentioned, but definitely worth mentioning again!!)

2. Exercise. For some folks, exercise is nearly as effective as an anti-depressant medication.

3. Watch to see if there is any pattern to how you feel. For example, are certain days of the week worse?

4. Lack of nutrition or not absorbing the nutrients eaten. I knew a guy who was depressed. His doctor discovered his vitamin B-12 level was low. Once that was corrected, his depression was gone. (He was not absorbing the B-12 he ate.) There are some other nutrient deficiencies which can also lead to depression.

5. Is there anything in your life that is just wearing you down? For example, is your boss or your job impossibly difficult? Do you have issues with your spouse, kids, parents, etc. When we face seemingly never ending, unsolvable problems, depression can be the result.

6. Have there been any changes in your life that may have triggered depression? Losing a friend, a death, unable to do things you once enjoyed, etc.

7. Depression is one way that our emotions communicate to us that something is wrong in our life. For example, we may get a bad feeling about a problem initially. If we ignore the bad feeling, or chose to do nothing to solve the problem, later on depression can be the result. The problem is that once depression sets in, it can be very difficult to go back and determine the original cause. If a decent counselor can be found, they can be very helpful. (Finding a good one may be difficult though!)

8. It is good that you are attempting to solve the problem now. Keep trying different things. Depression can be difficult to cure.

Posted By: Twostick

Re: Dealing with Depression - 09/22/20 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by EV2RTSE

That signature is kind of in jest because it's the catch phrase for one of our local brewers.

But yes, I do like beer. Probably more than Tom T Hall. I've stopped drinking for the last couple of weeks hoping that it might help. So far it hasn't, but maybe it hasn't been long enough?

If it turns out you have a sensitivity to wheat or gluten, Guinness apparently qualifies as gluten free enough for Celiac sufferers to drink.

Food dye sensitivity is something else to consider, especially red. The stuff is in everything.

Kevin
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Dealing with Depression - 10/02/20 09:51 PM

Hey Duff,

Hope you get results from your GP's advice. There are some very thoughtful messages here and I've enjoyed seeing everyone rally around you and hope to do the same. I want to encourage you to seek out mental health therapy if you can afford it. Statistics support using both psychopharmaceutical treatment and therapy together as a best method of solving depression. I'd also add that alcohol is a depressant, so your doctor's advice to cut out even casual amounts of intake while you are working through this makes sense. If you do look for counseling, I encourage you to seek out a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. You can find them in your local area through psychologytoday.com. I'm proud of you for bringing up the topic here. Mental health disorders have a stigma attached, especially among men, and they really should not. Anxiety and depression are extremely common, and whether the causes are environmental, genetic or circumstantial, you've taken the big first step to healing. If you ever want to chat, please message me.

Lindy
Posted By: Not_A_Duster

Re: Dealing with Depression - 10/03/20 02:42 AM

Yes I have.

Anxiety has always been present in my life since childhood, but a serious head injury & the resulting severe concussion about 10 years ago turned it into something much worse.

I’ve been through the meds, physical therapy & have found that forcing myself to keep busy even when I don’t want to do anything, plus regular exercise have been the best way for me. Actually leaving my job of 15 years and going into business for myself has been a great boon, despite many people telling me that the stress would make things worse.

But recently the COVID disaster & its effect on not just my business, but my entire industry has brought back the struggle along with some very dark thoughts. I rely on the people closest to me....my wife & young business partner to keep me on track. Make sure you have such a support network among people you trust. I admire your courage discussing it here on this message board, where some people can be quite cruel.

As far as drinking concerned, I’ve generally found having a few with good friends to be a positive experience. ( Tough to do that right now.) Drinking by yourself never leads anywhere good.... I suspect this varies depending on the individual.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Dealing with Depression - 10/03/20 03:35 PM

Yes, I forgot to mention exercise! Definitely releases the feel good endorphins! And alcohol, well we've all heard it's actually a depressant, not a stimulant.

Re: Dealing with Depression - 10/04/20 09:51 PM

My GP prescribed a sleep aid, an anti-depressant and a new pharma for blood sugar. I also haven't had any beer in the last 3 weeks, as well as cut out all carbs as much as possible. The result? My blood sugar has stabilized to "normal" people levels, not even pre-diabetic, and I feel 100X better. I'm not sure what part(s) are working for me but I'm going to stick with it for awhile longer before I start experimenting.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Dealing with Depression - 10/04/20 10:20 PM

Glad to hear your situation improved!

Mike.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dealing with Depression - 10/04/20 11:35 PM

I had some issues with depression when I was young. I was off on my own and didn't have a network of friends or family so little things tended to hit me in a big way. It was a rough go. I found that a multi-layer approach worked the best. Exercise, friends, sleep, a hobby, therapy, etc. all work together to keep your mind in a positive space.

Re: Dealing with Depression - 10/05/20 12:37 AM

My GP prescribed a sleep aid, an anti-depressant and a new pharma for blood sugar. I also haven't had any beer in the last 3 weeks, as well as cut out all carbs as much as possible. The result? My blood sugar has stabilized to "normal" people levels, not even pre-diabetic, and I feel 100X better. I'm not sure what part(s) are working for me but I'm going to stick with it for awhile longer before I start experimenting.

Awesome up up up I fought my GP for a long time on taking any meds. Ironically, a sleep aid and anti depressant is exactly what he put me on and the difference was amazing. he told me some people are just "wired differently mentally and need A little help to "balance" things out. BTW I haven't smoked or had alcohol of any kind in over 3 years. He said the smoking and alcohol consumption was a form of self medication. Dunno but I'm staying the course. twocents thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums