Moparts

Mopar Pet Peeves

Posted By: Myrtle

Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 05:27 AM

I dont know about you, but it really grinds my gears when I see a pistol grip shifter in a 68/69 manual car or the pistol grip automatic shifter.

Anyone else got mopar pet peeves or am I the only [censored] here? šŸ˜‚
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 07:17 AM

- Hi Impact Colors on pre-1970 cars ( the only caveat being I think HIP colors look AMAZING on 1950's cars! )
- Body color Rallye Wheels
- Cheap K-Mart cassette deck hacked into the dash or WORSE: a single DIN headunit installed instead of either radio delete, OE radio or time-period correct aftermarket.
- Modern audio head unit crudely attached to bottom of dash
- 1970 buckets installed in pre-1970 cars
- 18-inch/19-inch hideous aftermarket wheels; this includes the "tribute" rallye or magnum style. They're still ugly A.F. The 16-inch versions are passable but just barely.
- Cheap tachs attached to steering column of car equipped with factory tach
- Cheap gauges screwed to bottom of dash on car already equipped with those gauges.
- Painted bumpers
- Hemi Orange
- People who go so far as to recreate chalk marks, inspection marks, the starting instructions on the sun visor, the little tag around the "new" 1970 style ignition and then ruin a really nice reference-style restoration with any of the above.

Thing is, I'm like this with pretty much all makes. I'm very protective of the AMC's though. I mean, consider the Gremlin. For 50 years now, people have made crazy contraptions with the Gremlin, done engine swaps that would make your head spin and generally hacked the poor little cars to bits so much so that NOBODY even knows what an original one looked like. That's why I, and a few other friends in my circle have chosen to restore our cars reasonably correct. Anybody can hack one up. Restoring one to be correct takes a lot of time and there is more minutia that one must pay particular attention to, to ensure that correctness. A June-built car may be different from a July-built car.

I'm also of the cloth that some of our beloved cars are over 50 years old. There are very few remaining. One thing I've learned is that sometimes the more pedestrian car will garner more attention. Not everybody had a Hemi, LS6, GTO Judge or Z/28. My little blue on blue 6-cylinder/auto/bench Hornet got a LOT of attention. So much so that someone in the Netherlands loved it enough to ship it halfway around the world.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 07:21 AM

Ralley wheels on a 69 or earlier, redline tires on a 70 and up, aftermarket or "modern" bucket seats in a vintage mopar, hate seeing poverty caps/dog dishes on muscle cars of any make...taxi cabs understandable, double or triple F8 mopars, mopar rat rods, Daytona/Superbird wings on anything other than a Tona'/SBird, Frog eyed 69 Charger 500's, cheap aftermarket sunroofs, blue painted engines correct or not, column shifted automatics on musclecars, AC on a musclecar factory or not..... just to name a few
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by RamblerMan

- 18-inch/19-inch hideous aftermarket wheels; this includes the "tribute" rallye or magnum style. They're still ugly A.F. The 16-inch versions are passable but just barely.

Not a fan, huh ?

Attached picture R T 39.jpg
Attached picture R T 8.jpg

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 08:01 AM

Rambler man...You like THIS look better?

Attached picture R T 20.JPG

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 08:07 AM

I LOVE the wide tire look. I wanted my car to look like a street version of a NASCAR racer. I wanted it to look like the widest tires possible were stuffed under the car.

My # 1 pet peeve is seeing a black engine bay in a car that isn't black.
I don't like seeing cars without the blackout treatment on the core support and aluminum radiator.
Stock width tires on any classic car. They look horrible, like a hippo wearing ballerina shoes. 5.5 inch wheels on a 440 car ? Really ?
Go wings. Any of the car that had them look better without them. My opinion, yours may differ.
I agree with MOST of Rambler Man's opinions. Gauges, shifters, HIP colors, etc.

Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 10:14 AM

I think those are the only oversized wheels/tires I've seen on a muscle car that look good. That's a nice looking wheel, too. Unusual.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 11:21 AM

Most have been mentioned.
Ralley wheels on post '69 cars.
Pistol grips in pre '70 cars.
High impact colors on pre '70 cars.
People trying to make their '68 Coronet look as good as a '69 by adding N-96 scoops or side scoops to it.
Steel wheel/dog dish caps on EVERYTHING, especially by the purists that complain about cars with non-original parts on them.(Then stick on steel wheels that didn't come on the car)
Complaining about chrome magnums on cars instead of Road Wheels. This goes along with the folks that believe that you should keep 14" tires on the cars so they can not hook, not handle, be slower than a Honda accord and stop 10 feet shorter than a 3/4 ton pickup that weighs twice as much.
Rows of A-12 cars that are all nice and proper with the same boring steel wheels on them that just drive from heated garage to enclosed trailer to show field to enclosed trailer to heated garage. Factory street racer to show poodle.
Arrogant "experts" that are under the impression that since something worked on their car it will work the same on every car ever built. It just doesn't happen that way.
People that whine and bring up scoops added to 340 Dusters every.single.time. one pops up. So the economy division didn't add scoops. Everyone knows by now.
I think that's it. Well, probably not.
But on the other hand, I don't let that stuff bother me too much, I just walk by when I see a peeve or just don't comment on it.
Posted By: 68_661charger

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 11:53 AM

Incorrectly painted tail panels on 68-70 Chargers
Extra R/T emblems everywhere
Digital dashes
Use of the words Dippy, dizzy, loud pedal
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 12:58 PM

"My # 1 pet peeve is seeing a black engine bay in a car that isn't black.
I don't like seeing cars without the blackout treatment on the core support and aluminum radiator
"

This right here. The no blackout behind the grill REALLY chaps me when its on a car "professionally restored". Same deal with '70's trucks.

And then there are the people that will argue and insist that NO mopar came with this treatment. catfight
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 01:43 PM

These have already been mentioned, but I just have to list my top 3. In no particular order;

Go wings. Besides drilling holes in original metal, they are done to death.
Modern wheels/tires. They nearly always just look wrong and out of place.
Body color showing through the grill. Idiots.

The pistol grip auto shifter came real close to making the short list, too.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 02:20 PM

Every reply here is the exact reason I stopped going to all Mopar shows. Yep...it has a pistol grip, an aftermarket head unit(dash was already hacked), aftermarket steering wheel, non factory color and black engine bay. I don't care! This car was a complete basket when I got it so I feel as though I saved it. These cars don't bring big money so I refuse to invest huge money to make it "right".The car is a hoot to drive and gets plenty of attention from the non purists. 470" low deck,4spd 3:73 rear.

[Linked Image]

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 02:24 PM

Well, not EVERY reply. You have period wheels on your car. wink
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 02:26 PM

My pet peeve are the people who can't accept anything that's not "stock" or original.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 02:36 PM

Gm anything in it. I am more into the flathead era and it is very common to see a Delco alternator in one. I put a Mopar setup in mine. Don't even get me started on a SBC/LS swap.

Not a fan of rockers on the ground or stupid oversized rims, on any era vehicle. Some lowering is good, but wow do some take it to the extreme.

An MII suspension on anything, a craptastic suspension that was originally used to replace even more craptastic solid axle, leaf sprung 30's era suspensions and once you replace everything stock with aftermarket it works, for values of work.

A four link on anything. There are way better suspensions for as much work.

A 9 inch rear on anything not a Ford.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 02:43 PM

That so many Mopar owners are annoyed by anything I do to my Mopar that wasn't done in a factory version and that they stand around denigrating my car for it.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 03:16 PM

I hate after market air cleaners and valve covers like edelbrock.

Shackles.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
I hate after market air cleaners and valve covers like edelbrock.

Hmmm.....another strike!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: klunick

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 03:35 PM

[quote=Dcuda69]Every reply here is the exact reason I stopped going to all Mopar shows. Yep...it has a pistol grip, an aftermarket head unit(dash was already hacked), aftermarket steering wheel, non factory color and black engine bay. I don't care! This car was a complete basket when I got it so I feel as though I saved it. These cars don't bring big money so I refuse to invest huge money to make it "right".The car is a hoot to drive and gets plenty of attention from the non purists. 470" low deck,4spd 3:73 rear.

[Linked Image]
[/quote

I'm with you!! I'm not a fan of the blacked out engine compartment or huge newer wheels, but besides that, do what you want. Some folks want to go OEM all the way, some want to modify their cars. Do what you want folks but when you do, do it well.]

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton
My pet peeve are the people who can't accept anything that's not "stock" or original.

A little overreaction. Changes don't have to be OE. They just shouldn't suck.

It shouldn't be a surprise to someone that 'customizes' an antique auto that not everyone will appreciate their taste in custom touches. Isn't the whole point of making changes to the factor product to make it unique for and to the individual owner? Unique, individual, and/or different, means not necessarily for everyone. You really shouldn't be surprised when personal touches do not meet with universal acceptance.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 03:51 PM

How is that an overreaction? There are plenty of purists out there who dislike any changes. You're not the type of guy he was referring to.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 04:08 PM

Whatever you do someone isnā€™t going to like it. I am fortunate enough to have several vintage cars and from time to time I have toxic zeros criticize me for every one of them. I still own a Challenger I bought in high school, which I did a concours numbers restoration on. In the 90s I did some soul searching as to why I didnā€™t enjoy driving that car much, like the manual steering and poor ventilation that makes the car like a sauna on summer days, and what would it take to have a Challenger Iā€™d love to drive? My answer was a convertible (with power steering!). So now at cruises I have to endure hearing an occasional loser whining ā€œwhy arenā€™t you driving your red car?? (My HS trailer queen).
Well, because I love driving my convertible, I bought it to drive and thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing! Why should anyone ever have to apologize for driving a beautiful rare Challenger convertible to a cruise on a nice day? (and yes the top is always down, seeing people with convertibles at cruises who leave the top up is an all makes pet peeve of mine!)
The things that bother me, arenā€™t wheels and tires, or a little bling under the hood. What bothers me most are things that show laziness when a car was restored, hood and trunk latches, door hardware, hood release springs, inspection covers, shock hardware etc that were painted with the body instead of properly removed and restored or cleaned up. It makes a car look like it was painted by Earl Scheib or Maaco! And for the most part, much of those errors car be easily corrected by subsequent owners, but they seldom do.
Also missing undercoating or shutz Iā€™ve heard it called, in the wheel wells. That was done by Chrysler for a reason, to keep stones from chipping paint, so I never understand why people omit that when restoring a car.

Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 04:47 PM

I guess pet peeves are like opinions and arm pits.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 05:38 PM

How is that an overreaction? There are plenty of purists out there who dislike any changes. You're not the type of guy he was referring to.

Right !

I'm the guy who doesn't give restored cars a second glance. Instead I'll take time looking over anything that deviates from "stock". I want to see the owner's tastes, iseas and skills. I may not like what I see - different strokes for different folks - but I appreciate and applaud the effort.

Posted By: justinp61

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Every reply here is the exact reason I stopped going to all Mopar shows. Yep...it has a pistol grip, an aftermarket head unit(dash was already hacked), aftermarket steering wheel, non factory color and black engine bay. I don't care! This car was a complete basket when I got it so I feel as though I saved it. These cars don't bring big money so I refuse to invest huge money to make it "right".The car is a hoot to drive and gets plenty of attention from the non purists. 470" low deck,4spd 3:73 rear.

I'm with you, build it like you want. I built my car for me and if someone else don't like it, too bad. When someone else starts paying my bills and buying my parts then their opinion will have some influence.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 05:46 PM

WANTED: Lambo door kit to fit '69 RR. Must be in good working condition.
Posted By: dIc dOc Deity !

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 06:09 PM

tsk

Donā€™t be dissin the Lambo conversions!

If some apimp hadnā€™t beat me to it on eBay... Iā€™d probably own this instead ...

Attached picture FF4AD4B6-0C93-494E-8B2A-21F00B0531B1.png

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 06:16 PM

My reasoning for disliking black engine bay is because it smacks of laziness. I've seen nicely painted cars with black engine bays and figured that if they had the engine out, why didn't they paint the engine bay then?
I'm not a purist. I like some OEM stuff and some aftermarket stuff.
I don't like seeing aftermarket suspensions because I don't see them as an improvement. I like a modified stock based system.
I do like aftermarket wheels. Not all, but some.
Cast aluminum valve covers? Sure....Aftermarket gauges and steering wheel? Yeah, count me in.

Attached picture R T 16.jpg
Posted By: theraif

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 06:36 PM

side marker lights after 71, looks like a after though and slap them on

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 07:29 PM

Wow, never thought this thread would be so controversial.

Just because someone has a pet peeve, and it may be something you have or like, don't take it personal. Now start liking what I like, and hurry up!

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dfsmopars
I guess pet peeves are like opinions and arm pits.
I don't understand. Opinions aren't harry.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Frankenduster

Typical apples/oranges comparison. Black wheels (ugh) vs bright (yea) wheels. Dubs and rubber bands are for the ghetto.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 09:08 PM

iagree

I like cars modified, I can appreciate stock appearing cars but I'll walk past them to look at a car that has been modified to suit the owners personal tastes.

The fist thing that people did with all the old muscle cars was start modifying them back when they were new.

Now it seems like everyone wants they're car to look exactly like it did when it rolled off the assembly line.
The only reason for doing that is you're worried about "Investment Value" more than making a car like you would have seen back in the day when they were all over the streets.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Saying 'anything that's not stock or original' covers a lot of ground. That implies even period correct pieces like Cragars, headers, wider rear tires, etc. Or even more modern things like radial tires and aftermarket ignitions. Those are not the kind of changes that draws much in the way of criticisms at any car shows that I have attended. The most common pet peeves listed here are much more off the beaten path that those items.

It just seemed that the 'anything' part seemed a little strong since I'll bet that EVERYONE on this board has rolled his eyes more than once at something that someone has done to a poor, defenseless Mopar.

Anyway, sorry if my overreaction statement was an overreaction and became the 'blacked out engine compartment' of this thread. fan

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

Typical apples/oranges comparison. Black wheels (ugh) vs bright (yea) wheels. Dubs and rubber bands are for the ghetto.

Post up yours if you are brave enough to learn what others think of it.
Ghetto....This car isn't built on drug money and gubment cheeze....
I like to brake and corner well. You can't do that with stock wheels and tires.
Posted By: srt

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 11:08 PM

Nice Charger.
It's a Coronet....

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/06/20 11:11 PM

Yeah, there is that one....
Challengers get called Chargers often too.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 12:01 AM

Honestly, I don't like either. BUT, those aluminum mags aren't the worst I've ever seen. But it's kinda like putting Cragars on a Model T. Sure, you can do it.... but.... do you want to? I'm not a big fan of steelies, either. On the right car, maybe - but generally, no.

Your Charger would look great with some 15" Rallyes, maybe widened in the back a little. Or Keystones, or Slots, or Cragars.... anything to give it that 1970's flair. Modern wheels on a 50 year old car are like my Cragars on a model T comment.

I understand why you do it though: better tire selection, new wheels are actually round.... for practicality reasons.... I get it.
Posted By: Vert

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 12:28 AM

Don't have the regular version. Would you settle for suicide Lambos that tip up from the front?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 01:18 AM

My Mopar pet peeve is the elite investment club Mopar owners that believe they have a right to tell me what I can, can't, should or shouldn't do with my Mopar that I drive.

One of the happiest days of my life was when my last 70 Road Runner left my house with its new owner! That gave me the freedom to spend my money on a Mopar street rod that didn't have to comply with their (your) silly rules. That day was over 25 years ago!

I still love the 70 Road Runners, but to this day, I'm not going to own another because the Mopar elite are worse now then they were 25 years ago. In case your missing the point, that probably covers most of the purest guy's stating their pet peeves on this thread.

The elite Mopar guys almost caused my son to go away from Mopars when he was 14 and trying to buy parts for a 72 Road Runner that was given to him. All he wanted was to be able to drive it when he turned 16. Those Mopar restore it guys made him so mad, he sold the car before he could collect enough parts to start putting it together. Its fortunate I was able to get him an older Dodge panel truck that we got running for his 16th birthday. To this day, he is a Mopar guy, but not a Mopar from the performance era of the late 60s- early 70s. You guys soured him on them years ago. I see you purest are still at it, good job (NOT)! Gene
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 01:28 AM

The thing about these cars is there are enough of them to go around. I like the Day Two look. Cragars,chrome valve cover (Direct Connection in mine) has a Coyote Duster air cleaner and a glass A12 hood.Even have a Sun Tach strapped to the column
Had a Pistol Grip in my last '69 road runner and '68 R/T.Also had a set of '70 bucket seats in it. It was someones discarded parts car I was rebuilding, and came across a killer deal on a set of newly recovered seats, plus I like the '70 seats better than the shredded bench that came with the car. . I don't like the Donk Wheels on a Musclecar,modern interiors or engines. So instead of picking a car apart I just walk by. I figure it's my car, my money, I'm gonna make me happy. Not like it's a survivor one of.... car.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 01:33 AM

I love them all BUT do mine my way.

Rambble... Whats wrong with HEMI ORANGE? Ive 5, maybe 6 hemi orange mopars, id have to go count.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 01:57 AM

Pet Peeves in no particular order:

Using the term " murdered out" to describe a black on black on black on black car.

Black everything on cars. A little can be OK, just not all of it.

The flat brim brigade with their monster energy decals and of course the murdered out car.

Sloppy or poorly done wiring. ( admittedly I am a wiring nut)

Anything to do with " fast and furious", including the over use of the term "NOS", referring to family every 5 seconds, the term "crew" and basically the fact that those movies have inspired a whole group of morons. Oh yeah, in every one of those movies they all look sweaty all the time. Take a dang shower and use deodorant once in a while!

Other than that I am a happy guy!

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 02:08 AM

Gene, you really need to quit being a baby.

Just because someone is annoyed about a customization to a car does not mean its the end of the world. This thread was merely to see if others were bothered by the things that catch my eye at car shows. Did I ask if there were confrontations or if they made stinks about it? No, just personal pet peeves - thats all.

Ask me if I have ever said anything to anyone about their custom mods - not once! If I see my dream car, say a 69 Charger RT, original 4 speed car, and its as it left the factory with the exception of a pistol grip shifter, yeah, Im gonna think to myself ā€˜God, thats fuglyā€™ Will I say anything though? Hell no, they have my dream car and they chose to display it that way. But just as they have the right modify it as they please, I have the right to think its stupid when they display it publicly at a car show. Hell, I even have the right to give them my opinion - I never would though (I do think thatā€™s excessive).

Alot of people may think im stupid for chopping up my original A12 column shift Super Bee and making it a 4 speed, but guess what, f*ck em, its my car, I will do what I want to it.

When people ask about the 4 speed setup and D32 on the fender tag, I will tell them I converted it. When they ask why, I will say its because I wanted to - something you should have instilled in your son. It sucks he sold his 72 because people were too vocal and Im sorry for that, but cmon, calling people with opinions elitists is just silly. Did they actually tell your son NOT to do something?

Just because someone is annoyed about a modification does not mean they are an elitist - give me a break. Hell, I may be regarded as an idiot for chopping up my bee, and I may agree with that, but I tell you what, I sure as hell wont be putting a pistol grip shifter in it!! šŸ˜

No one can tell you what to do. However, ANYONE can tell you what they think.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Warhawk

Sometimes the cars can't help it. That's how they came... šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Attached picture 20200810_090428.jpg

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 03:09 AM

The flat brim brigade with their monster energy decals and of course the murdered out car.

Anything to do with " fast and furious", including the over use of the term "NOS", referring to family every 5 seconds, the term "crew" and basically the fact that those movies have inspired a whole group of morons. Oh yeah, in every one of those movies they all look sweaty all the time. Take a dang shower and use deodorant once in a while!

I rarely laugh out loud when reading something online but this stuff cracked me up!
Flat brim brigade? Oh, HELL yeah! I think the guys with the flat brim on their hats look dumb as sh*t. The guys with their ears tucked into their hats are even worse. Top it off with shorts that go to the knee with tube socks that reach mid knee cap. GREAT look, dude! thumbs
Also funny....calling your friends a "crew" or a "team" is also silly.
Sweaty all the time? That is classic comedy right there!

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
My Mopar pet peeve is the elite investment club Mopar owners that believe they have a right to tell me what I can, can't, should or shouldn't do with my Mopar that I drive.
I want the freedom to spend my money on a Mopar street rod that didn't have to comply with their (your) silly rules. That day was over 25 years ago!

I still love the 70 Road Runners, but to this day, I'm not going to own another because the Mopar elite are worse now then they were 25 years ago. In case your missing the point, that probably covers most of the purest guy's stating their pet peeves on this thread.

I can sympathize.
Sometimes is is fun to just get something running and have some fun with it. Correctness ? Pffft! No way, man! Chalk marks? Date codes? Matching humbers? blah
That is why I am building THIS car: ($5000 buy in...including a nice grille!)

Attached picture XH 48.jpg
Attached picture Repair 34.jpg
Attached picture Repair 61.jpg
Attached picture Repair 68.jpg

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 03:19 AM

It has the original 383....I'm waiting on the machine shop now.
It came with a bent front end, no brakes but otherwise really solid.
I'm going to get it running and drive it ratty for awhile. I want to be able to drive on pavement or gravel, park it without worrying about it, take the dogs to the lake in it....just have fun like we did when they were 10 year old cars.

Attached picture Second fit 4.jpg
Attached picture 2 XH Q.jpg
Attached picture 2 Chargers B.jpg
Attached picture 2 XH M.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 03:38 AM

Krylon black engine or trunk compartments.. I'd take tired original paint any day.

Scat pack stripes installed in the wrong spot, wrong angle, wrong color, etc.

Chopped up dashes for radios/CD players. A nice clean install is one thing, but serious butchery drives me nuts.

Dark window tint - looks icky and you can't see worth a damn at night.

Most cars have the wrong wheels, tires, and stance. All personal opinion, but that is one thing that I always find room for improvement on.

Black walls on mopar rallye wheels I can't get used to.

Fiberglass hoods that people install to see how it fits and then 5 years later it's still unpainted. Very common to see at the race track.

Not a fan of pinstripes on musclecars for some reason. Seems to be a thing here, but mopar guys don't do it that often

People who hang around their cars and tell you how rare it is and how much they could sell it for. I like talking to you about your car for a few minutes, but tell me an interesting story about what it took to find the car and how you went about getting it fixed up again.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 04:04 AM

1. "upgrading" a Mopar Leaf spring design to a triangulated 4 link of any design
2. "upgrading" Mopar TB's with coils for a more "modern design"
3. Calling a wing a spoiler, and not knowing the difference
4. Misunderstanding that tires stop the car, and brakes stop the wheels
5. "upgrading" with no empirical evidence, from 9/16" TR to 11/16" TR
6. "upgrading" with LCA gussets
7. using the as a last ditch explanation for any "upgrade", "it can't hurt"
8. Hub Caps
9. Using frame connectors AND torque boxes
10. Installing rear swaybar without testing with a proper front bar FIRST
11. Asserting one item is responsible for positive improvement seen, when multiple changes where made
12. Failing to understand on a performance vehicle, " EVERYTHING EFFECTS EVERYTHING ELSE"
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 04:04 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dave
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 05:17 AM

Not sure if this was mentioned (no time to read 3 pages) but a bumblebee stripe on a pre-1968 Dodge or--even worse--on a Plymouth.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
I love them all BUT do mine my way.

Rambble... Whats wrong with HEMI ORANGE? I've 5, maybe 6 hemi orange mopars, id have to go count.

In my humble and entirely worthless opinion, it's overplayed. We had a small show (~100 cars) here a few years back. All mopars and a couple of my AMC's. I have an old photo somewhere where only five E-bodies showed up and they were ALL Hemi Orange. The funny thing was, I don't think a single one had been born Hemi orange. And yet at this small show in the middle of podunk BC, five orange e-bodies show up. My tastes tend toward the more unusual. REAL FM3 cars, FC7, FJ5 .... I like Hemi orange but it's just quite common. I guess familiarity breeds contempt?

I'm not a purist by any stretch. Hell, my buddy's '71 Polara 4dr HT with a 440 6-pack is one of my (thus far) favorite cars ever. But he's like me in a way where his car has an overall theme. The 440 installation looks 100% factory - even down to the fan clutch and the air cleaner. Manifolds, even. It has a Tuff steering wheel and an underdash 8-track player. NOTHING on the car seems out-of-place.

I don't give two fiddlers about batteries or tires when it comes to correctness. Anything perishable like that is off the table. It is cool to see reproduction batteries and polyglas tires though. I missed that generation so it really is neat to see these cars as they were. Sticking to their theme of OE correctness is fine.

CHEAP stuff gets on my nerves. $50,000 dollar car with 8-dollar, Canadian Tire floor mats. The corrugated wire loom stuff - worse if it's coloured.

I especially enjoy when people get creative and think outside the box. Create something nobody has done before, rather than buying cheap, mass produced crap off of WalMart's shelves.

Another buddy of mine created a 4-door cab 1972 Dodge Pickup and dropped the whole kaboodle on a modern Cummins frame. He made the box a dually and everything. It LOOKS like a 1972 diesel truck. He even painted it two-tone turquoise and white!! It looks amazing but it has all modern driveline and frame. THAT is super-cool.

I hope to one day get to that level of fabrication skills. One of my best accomplishments is the interior on my '75 Hornet. I've mixed and matched a lot of OE AMC parts, designed my own upholstery (yet still looks like vintage stuff) and love the result. I've had a few people at shows tell me they had one EXACTLY like it. I just smile and say "No, you didn't!"

Attached picture Hornet Stuff 003.JPG
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 01:11 PM

I was watching a youtube video recently of some street drag racing. Video was grainy and from the early mid 1980s. Was a hilly mountainous area with a paved straight away. But what rang out was the car drivers and spectators were all in their teens and twenties. Chevelles Chargers N50s etc. When I go to a show or the drag strip now its disheartening the lack of guys under say 45 years old. Times change but it sure is a shame.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by OhioMopar

Sometimes the cars can't help it. That's how they came... šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Absolutely nothing wrong with that car! It would be an honor to have that in the garage.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 01:55 PM

Honestly, I don't like either. BUT, those aluminum mags aren't the worst I've ever seen. But it's kinda like putting Cragars on a Model T. Sure, you can do it.... but.... do you want to? I'm not a big fan of steelies, either. On the right car, maybe - but generally, no.

Your Charger would look great with some 15" Rallyes, maybe widened in the back a little. Or Keystones, or Slots, or Cragars.... anything to give it that 1970's flair. Modern wheels on a 50 year old car are like my Cragars on a model T comment.

I understand why you do it though: better tire selection, new wheels are actually round.... for practicality reasons.... I get it.

RamblerMan,you would have loved my nephews 401 Gremlin,ran high 10's always.

Attached picture Mike Miller.jpg
Attached picture race cars 119[716]-001.jpg

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 02:00 PM

Using the term " murdered out" to describe a black on black on black on black car.

I have no problem with black at all ! shruggy

Attached picture Bill,s 62 wgn 067.jpg
Posted By: blaze

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 03:39 PM

Sometimes is is fun to just get something running and have some fun with it. Correctness ? Pffft! No way, man! Chalk marks? Date codes? Matching humbers? blah
That is why I am building THIS car: ($5000 buy in...including a nice grille!)

iagree I'd love to find a second gen Charger for $5000 One thing that has always bugged me is the wrong terminology. People refer to their cars as restored. Did Ma Mopar put the bumble bee stripes, sublime paint and 17" billet wheels on your '66 Charger? Hmmm....
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 06:30 PM

Post up yours if you are brave enough to learn what others think of it.

Surprise...I don't care what others think about my taste in wheels or anything else. Unlike some others, I'm not looking for approval.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 06:45 PM

Dubs and rubber bands are for the ghetto.

and fork lifts. biggrin

poorly done and sloppy wiring [usually present together] gets my goat every time. even with a factory correct restoration.

i bought my 69 charger as a total way back in 1970. i sure wished i had the foresight to have taken pictures at the time. it was hit HARD in the rear, and the body shop i worked at back then specialized in totals.
this was my first major project, and being a nu-be [drag strip] at major work, i quickly learned i knew nothing.
anyway, the car is still with me today, and it is not stock, nor will i restore it.
over the last year i have modified it even more than i have over the years, yet it still retains the re-paint done in mid 1971. it now wears scratches and primer spots, but who cares ?
i will admit i was one who fell into the "black engine compartment" crowd. the reason that was done is because some dumazz [me ! laugh2] covered the area with the zeibart-like undercoat stuff the shop was doing at the time.
that gooey stuff did, however, prevent rust. when the fresh engine goes in, i will now have the "pleasure" of removing that stuff so i can paint that area as it should be. there are other underhood mods i have done over the last year or so that some will wonder about, but too bad. i'm trying to do my best craftsmanship with these mods, and the main goal is to keep a clean, "simple" look. that is harder to do than some think. this car is nothing special, has led a hard life, and i'm trying my best to get it back out to enjoy it for a while before i croak.
it now wears steel wheels with dog dish caps, but i have a couple of different wheel ideas in mind. in the past, it has worn 5 spokes, cragars, slots, and mixed combos.

finally, i like looking at all types, as i usually can learn something from even the tiniest detail.
but observing modified rides lets my mind wander, and i try to think if i can combine ideas for an even better idea.
beer
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 07:45 PM

Right !

I'm the guy who doesn't give restored cars a second glance. Instead I'll take time looking over anything that deviates from "stock". I want to see the owner's tastes, iseas and skills. I may not like what I see - different strokes for different folks - but I appreciate and applaud the effort.

Bingo we have a winner. These restored show poodles are boring. Back in the day the only ones driving around with their steel wheels and cheap hub caps were grandpas. I lean more to the day 2 cars. Aftermarket rims, aftermarket shifters, gauges, stereos engine mods etc.

I don't care what you do to your car. Its your car. Doesn't matter if its my taste. I don't care if you use the wrong terminology for a 6pk, wedge, hemi etc. I am smart enough to understand what you meant.

But if you want a pet peeve ok the whinny crybabies that get all butt hurt over a cowl scoop, ford 9", gm trans in a mopar.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Myrtle

Just because someone is annoyed about a customization to a car does not mean its the end of the world. This thread was merely to see if others were bothered by the things that catch my eye at car shows. Did I ask if there were confrontations or if they made stinks about it? No, just personal pet peeves - thats all.

Ask me if I have ever said anything to anyone about their custom mods - not once! If I see my dream car, say a 69 Charger RT, original 4 speed car, and its as it left the factory with the exception of a pistol grip shifter, yeah, Im gonna think to myself ā€˜God, thats fuglyā€™ Will I say anything though? Hell no, they have my dream car and they chose to display it that way. But just as they have the right modify it as they please, I have the right to think its stupid when they display it publicly at a car show. Hell, I even have the right to give them my opinion - I never would though (I do think thatā€™s excessive).

Alot of people may think im stupid for chopping up my original A12 column shift Super Bee and making it a 4 speed, but guess what, f*ck em, its my car, I will do what I want to it.

When people ask about the 4 speed setup and D32 on the fender tag, I will tell them I converted it. When they ask why, I will say its because I wanted to - something you should have instilled in your son. It sucks he sold his 72 because people were too vocal and Im sorry for that, but cmon, calling people with opinions elitists is just silly. Did they actually tell your son NOT to do something?

Just because someone is annoyed about a modification does not mean they are an elitist - give me a break. Hell, I may be regarded as an idiot for chopping up my bee, and I may agree with that, but I tell you what, I sure as hell wont be putting a pistol grip shifter in it!! šŸ˜

I LOVE your attitude. You seem like someone that would be fun hang with. Its refreshing.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 08:36 PM

I dislike "Black Engine Bays" unless it is a black painted car

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/07/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 62maxwgn

I have no problem with black at all ! shruggy

Nothing wrong with that wagon at all. I don't mind black paint one bit. That car still has it's brightwork- my problem is the cars and trucks we see today with black wall tires, black wheels, black trim, etc etc. People today seem to hate chrome and everything has to be " murdered out" and Thuggish. A black painted car with the correct trim and brightwork is a thing of beauty!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Myrtle

If you knew me, "being a baby" probably wouldn't come to mind at all. I had no problem telling people where they could go back then, and I still don't today. Do you really think I would have posted that on this thread if I was a baby?

Your problem is, you were not where I was back then, and have no idea how a lot of the Mopar restore it guys were (though not much has changed). I was a big boy, and those things didn't bother me much, but it was something I got to hear about at nearly every show. I had a lot of performance Mopars, both cars and trucks that I drove hard. Some were pretty respectable looking. We, as a family attended a lot of car shows. At some point the negitive BS grows tiring. I was one of those guys that was buying old Mopar performance cars, and parting them out, so people that actually drove them could keep driving them. Since I bought my 1st Mopar in 1974, there have only been a hand full of non-Mopar vehicles at my place, and all of those were trade ins. There is still nothing but Mopars here. But there are no performance era Mopars here.

And for the record, my son was trying to buy parts for what originally was a 340 72 Road Runner. The car a guy gave him was a parts donor for 2 72 Roadrunner restores. As you might imagine, there wasn't much left. His vision was to build a pro street style car (which was the hot ticket at the time), but he still needed useable fenders, doors, and a trunk lid. The parts he was looking for were not the choice parts, but rather something that could be saved. He was buying the parts with his own money. I'll bet we hit over 20 swap meets (probably around 1994) and we were running into guys that wouldn't sell him a fender with rust through on the heal, or a door with rusted corners because he wasn't going to restore the 340 Road Runner. They were telling him this to his face, even after I told them his car was a donor for 2 restored cars. My son is a lot like me, he will tell you what is on his mind. After yet another swap meet where 2 different guys wouldn't sell him less then prime parts, he looked at me and told me he was going to sell the Road Runner. We took it to the swap meet (at the Belvidere Assembly plant) with all the parts he had collected up to that point, and we sold parts on the "Here are the wrenches, you take it off, and give me $$$ for the part" and he sold off a lot of parts that day.Then we took the chassis home and he sold it to a couple of guys that needed the front suspension.

Then I come on here and hear guys telling about their pet peeves that sounded just like the crap I was hearing in the 90s. People can still hear the snide remarks your making as you criticize their car because you think you have the right to do so. This crap is especially harmful for young guys entering the very expensive old car hobby with an old Mopar that they have sunk every penny they can spare into that doesn't meet your standards. Not much has changed. If it chaps your butt, good, you deserve it. Gene
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 01:20 AM

Not just mopar but shoddy work
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 02:09 AM

Car people bother me way more than the cars themselves bother me. catfight
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 02:37 AM

My biggest pet peeve is over judgmental Mopar people! We all have opinions on what looks good or what doesnā€™t. Unless itā€™s your car who cares! Weā€™re all different and that is good!

KID
Posted By: Slotts

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 12:39 PM

I like the misspellings and misunderstandingsā€¦

A Ralle or Ralley or Rally rim, hood, 72-74 Challenger (Try Rallye next time)
A pre 1970 model year `Cuda
A Grand Coupe

Jim
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Car people bother me way more than the cars themselves bother me. catfight

haha haha haha up Perfect response...

I'm sure mine isn't to everyone's taste. Oh well, it's mine. Now, what DOES (did!) torque me off about it were those '69 grilles on a '68. We've been busy getting that little issue corrected.

Attached picture LilBCuda111019.jpg
Attached picture DriversSideDone.jpg
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 04:06 PM

My all time favorite Mopar pet peeve is old school Lakewood type "slapper" bars on a A, B or E body... flame down rolleyes
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by JS Restorations

A Grand Coupe

Jim

mine is BUMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not a bumber or a truck its a TRUNK
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by cudatom

Right !

Bingo we have a winner. These restored show poodles are boring. Back in the day the only ones driving around with their steel wheels and cheap hub caps were grandpas. I lean more to the day 2 cars. Aftermarket rims, aftermarket shifters, gauges, stereos engine mods etc.

I don't care what you do to your car. Its your car. Doesn't matter if its my taste. I don't care if you use the wrong terminology for a 6pk, wedge, hemi etc. I am smart enough to understand what you meant.

But if you want a pet peeve ok the whinny crybabies that get all butt hurt over a cowl scoop, ford 9", gm trans in a mopar.

iagree iagree iagree

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 04:37 PM

A hobby pet peeve is the TV car auctions that hyped up the prices to the point that now many of the cool cars don't get taken out much anymore.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 05:10 PM

A Grand Coupe

Jim

There ARE real Factory 69 ā€˜Cudaā€™s you know.....
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 06:52 PM

Looks similar to my ā€˜68 Bruce.

Attached picture 4EB5F481-1949-4231-A7E7-785741987F78.jpeg
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BloFish
Looks similar to my ā€˜68 Bruce.

Wow, yes it does! Very cool! up
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 07:56 PM

Mine is when someone takes a survivor in decent condition (especially one that's fairly rare) and rather than just driving it is as-is, they do a 100% restoration on it. It's only original once!

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/08/20 08:16 PM

This may be way more than a pet peeve but we have all seen a situation like this.

Just 10 minutes or so from me there is a '71 purple Hemi 4 speed Road Runner. It is rotting away in a field and has had the motor, tranny, and Dana stolen out of it over the years. The car was complete but had a bad engine when it was parked. I have decoded the car myself and have tried several times over the last 25 years or so to buy it. I turned Roger Gibson on to it and he tried to buy it. And there have been a couple of Moparts members that have tried to buy it over the years. But, nope, he won't sell saying he is gonna fix 'er up one day. But the reality is that he couldn't afford the rockers for the engine.

I haven't seen the car for years now but I know it's still there. Rotting away. Full vinyl roof, bench seat, and trailer hitch. That's right, trailer hitch. Cool story on that one. Oh, and the precious owner still has ALL of the car's documentation in a scrap book. Said he would only sell it to the person that ends up with the car.

What a shame. Used to be a solid, complete car with full documentation. If memory serves, it is like 1 of 28. I have no idea it's condition today, though.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 01:25 AM

My all time favorite Mopar pet peeve is old school Lakewood type "slapper" bars on a A, B or E body...

A lot of mopar guys feel that way because they think the pinion snubber was the cats-ass traction device - when in fact it was marginal at best. The slapper bars allowed some degree of adjustment and helped plant BOTH tires. The reality is many years later many Mopars are running Cal-tracs and Assassin bars which are a refined version of the ol' slapper bars.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 02:34 AM

How about the if the original engine is gone the car is somehow "junk" types. If you like it buy it and have some fun with it. Just don't pay top dollar for it.
Posted By: MI Mopar Works

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 02:39 AM

Wheel opening moldings on 68-70 road runners.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by MI Mopar Works

Thatā€™s a good one too.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 03:44 AM

[quote=Mr. Potatohead]

I hope to one day get to that level of fabrication skills. One of my best accomplishments is the interior on my '75 Hornet. I've mixed and matched a lot of OE AMC parts, designed my own upholstery (yet still looks like vintage stuff) and love the result. I've had a few people at shows tell me they had one EXACTLY like it. I just smile and say "No, you didn't!"

I love that under-dash shelf. My 73 Gremlin's was most useful
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 03:45 AM

Having to take the heater tube hose barb out of the 383's water housing to get some work done.

And lack of an in-dash pizza oven work

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 04:19 AM

Really? Weren't they available on the "Decor" package?
Posted By: MI Mopar Works

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 05:45 AM

Really? Weren't they available on the "Decor" package?

Nope. No road runner ever had a factory installed wheel opening molding until the 1971 model.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/09/20 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by lilcuda

Mine is when someone takes a survivor in decent condition (especially one that's fairly rare) and rather than just driving it is as-is, they do a 100% restoration on it. It's only original once!

I am 100% guilty of this and God as my witness, I regret it so much. My 70 GTX was such a nice survivor. Really all it needed was the passenger fender painted to match the rest of the car (fender bender parked the car in the 80s).
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 12:18 AM

Biggest one for me is a nice car yet it has cheap auto store battery cable ends
Posted By: DUFFMAN

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 01:21 AM

Mine is Mopars with too few doors.

Attached picture IMG_5091.JPG

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 01:51 AM

Nothings worse than a restored car with the wrong year air in the tires !!

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 02:54 AM

Not building your old car so it's fast enough or fun enough to put a smile on your face.

Then buying a new Challenger or Charger to drive instead because your old car is slow (only because you built it that way).

Then going to car shows with your new car and wondering where all the cool old cars are.
Posted By: -Cuda

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 03:15 AM

No, I sold my old cars for a new challenger because not only is it faster, itā€™s also more comfortable, and reliable. As far as car shows I quit those years ago.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Neil
Not building your old car so it's fast enough or fun enough to put a smile on your face.

Then buying a new Challenger or Charger to drive instead because your old car is slow (only because you built it that way).

Then going to car shows with your new car and wondering where all the cool old cars are.

Oh Crap...THIS is quoteworthy!
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 10:17 AM

People who are continually pessimistic about the forecast for a race weekend. If it's gonna rain, then so be it, but it'll be raining 9 states south and theyre blowing up the forums almost bragging how their equipment is gonna sit inside. Sorta takes some of the wind outta your sails about a race weekend.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 12:12 PM

My Chally has a problem. It's prolly the dizzy or the tranny.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by -Cuda
No, I sold my old cars for a new challenger because not only is it faster, itā€™s also more comfortable, and reliable. As far as car shows I quit those years ago.

A car is only as reliable as it's mechanic.

I daily drive a 51 Plymouth. Yet to be stranded.

Is it fast? fast enough for what I need.

Is it comfortable? Yes, like setting on a sofa, AC would be nice in the summer when it's 105+ out. But that cowl vent works like a champ, I can add AC easily enough and no one is going to show up with another one like mine.

Nothing more boring that showing up at a car show and seeing new cars, stock, setting there. Hello, is this a sales lot or a show of man's creativity, skills and talent?
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

A Grand Coupe

Jim

There ARE real Factory 69 ā€˜Cudaā€™s you know.....

Beat me to the punch...... I have one.... lol
Posted By: moparx

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Biggest one for me is a nice car yet it has cheap auto store battery cable ends

you mean those ends with the flat strap held by two 1/4" bolts ? i HATE those as well ! mad
i have fixed way too many wiring issues over the years related to those type of ends.
beer

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 03:34 PM

How about we change the title of this thread to "Moparts Member" Pet Peeves then we will know all our own faults ,me,I'm realcrazy to start with!! beer
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 03:45 PM

The local cruise I attend occasionally with my D150 only allows cars/trucks 25 years and older.. before my 92 was 25 years old I spent some time detailing it , I went to the cruise and they wouldn't let me in because it was only 24 years old at the time. It seems with the limited space they have to many new Vettes, Mustangs etc. that were showing up and their was no room for the older vehicles. I don't go often but it drives me nuts: they have the lot roped off with yellow tape and there is one entrance, you drive in and its a 3 dollar donation ( which they collect and at the end of the year they send it to St Judes ) Guys to cheap to pay the 3 dollars lifting the tape and coming in other entrances. There are some nice Mopars there, I brought my 68 Dart race car a few weeks ago and it was a real hit! Quite a few years ago there was a show at a Local ( now closed ) Dodge dealer I decided to bring my Dart race car , i unloaded from the trailer and drove in and parked, there were no signs, people directing were to park or anything , i parked and a guy comes up and says " you can't park here this is millionaires row, only Vipers " honest to God thats what he said. i started the car drove out loaded up and headed for test and tune at my local track ! I went to another show at another Dodge dealer many years ago, it was breezy and the race car next to me had a real nice expensive Circus ( local hero painter from years ago ) paint job ,the owner got offended when I asked him to one his lawn chair away from being so close to my car. I might not have an expensive paint job but i still don't want it scratched up. I am a drag racer, some of the people at car shows are too much for me, although i do show my D150 on occasion and have Won a couple trophies, truck show people seem to be different not as annoying and picky.

Attached picture IMG_0910.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 06:38 PM

Some of my Mopar peeves, in no particular order:
The big B-body pistol grip shifter in almost anything, but especially pre-70 B-bodies. The E-body pistol grip shifter looks sharp in lots of cars.
Over-purism. I once saw a dead nuts original, unmolested survivor 71 Charger publicly denigrated at a Mopar show because it had 71 GTX seats in it. Just because the UAW guy turned left with a set of blue seats that were supposed to go on the line to the right, we're going to criticise the car? That means there is a blue 71 GTX out there with Charger seats.
Body color wheels and poverty caps on high end classics. Yes, they may have been built and sold that way, but no Turbine Bronze Hemi Daytona or Plum Crazy 440-6 shaker Cuda wore them for more than 20 minutes after the tags were screwed on. Dog dishes and steelies can look good, but the wheels have to be black, and the car has to be the right car. A 68 Hemi Road Runner? Sure. A 70 Charger RT/SE? Nope.
Poorly placed bumbler bee stripes, especially on cars that never had them.
Ugly steering wheels. And wheels. Please people, use some good taste and decorum.
Butt draggin' Mopars, because they were originally low in the back. Yes, they were. But, they all look way better with about a 1/2" of forward rake, as that's how they were originally sketched/drawn by the designers.
14" Magnums. Yes, I know. Original. However, a 15" with the chrome rims looks so much better that it simply ain't funny. Especially when paired with the right tires. You know. Bigger ones.
Under appreciation of certain stock wheels. A car that looks like crap with dog dishes and steel wheels can look pretty sharp with the simple addition of trim rings. And put trim rings on your Rallye's, guys.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 07:46 PM

Nice shorty Ram pickup above. up
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/10/20 08:40 PM

Thanks I am the original ownerā€¦ thats an old picture it has different wheels and LED headlights now
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/11/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by lilcuda

I did that! It didnā€™t take too long to regret it.
This pic is before my restoration.
KID

Attached picture A9F31130-ABAF-424D-A5CF-AE1BA93233AC.jpeg

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/11/20 05:32 AM

How about those ONE YEAR parts?
I don't know if GM and Ford guys deal with that crap.
Great looking cars, excellent engineering but the one year body panels makes it a bummer.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/11/20 10:19 AM

I have done flat black engine bay. But it was because it was simply too difficult to keep the paint in the engine bay looking nice. In my car the heat of the engine really faded the body colored paint and made it look terrible. A dull black engine bay simply doesn't show blemishes and is easy to keep up and touch up in the event of scratches from working on or removing motor. These cars were nice drivers and NOT numbers matching ultra rare cars.
Posted By: SportFuryS/23383

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/13/20 01:15 AM

Not sure if this counts but, calling a 6 barrel a 6 pack confused tsk
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/13/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by SportFuryS/23383

So, do people calling an In Violet car that use the term Plum Crazy bother you too?
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/13/20 02:58 AM

people that have a part you need, they go out of their way to tell you just how many of that part they have.....then won't sell it.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves - 09/13/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by SportFuryS/23383

So, do people calling an In Violet car that use the term Plum Crazy bother you too?
laugh2
© 2024 Moparts Forums