Moparts

Neon Signs Anyone

Posted By: VCODE

Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 12:01 AM

Does anyone know how to fix a neon sign that was repaired some time ago but now the green letters are not lighting up completely within the tubes.
Bob
Posted By: TJP

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 12:56 AM

I'm not an expert but the colors come from different gases in the tubes that are excited by high voltage / low current electricity, Typically a transformer or power supply. The tubes are evacuated to a rough Vacuum, back filled with a certain level of gas and the sealed The electrical power is then applied to both ends of the tube and excites the gas which creates the colors.
My 1st guess is the gas is leaking and getting low. But it could also be a power supply / transformer problem
Google is probably your best friend. Do be careful as the voltages can be lethal beer

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 04:13 PM

Thanks TJP
I spoke with a guy that just fixes neon signs, said it could be a couple of things. First move it around to get the mercury to flow or it needs to be cleaned and new gas installed.
Thanks Bob
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by VCODE
Thanks TJP
I spoke with a guy that just fixes neon signs, said it could be a couple of things. First move it around to get the mercury to flow or it needs to be cleaned and new gas installed.
Thanks Bob

Buddy of mine has a bunch of vintage neon signs and he told me . Finding people who can fix them anymore is getting tough

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Thanks TJP
Thanks Bob

Buddy of mine has a bunch of vintage neon signs and he told me . Finding people who can fix them anymore is getting tough

I got lucky and found this retired neon sign repairman that just works part time on neon signs in PA
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 11:11 PM

Thanks TJP
Thanks Bob

I got lucky and found this retired neon sign repairman that just works part time on neon signs in PA

Thomas Neon perhaps?

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by RTSrunner
Thanks TJP
Thanks Bob

Thomas Neon perhaps?

No, Marconi Neon Signs
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 11:36 PM

Thanks TJP
Thanks Bob

He's not a Carlisle resident , is he?

Whoops, nevermind...

Re: Neon Signs Anyone - 08/19/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by moparjim79
Thanks TJP
Thanks Bob

He's not a Carlisle resident , is he?

Northeast
Plymouth, PA
How fitting is that
© 2024 Moparts Forums