Moparts

Engine flush?

Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Engine flush? - 08/11/20 05:19 PM

Ive a car I do not know its oil change history or the type of oil reg or synth it had its whole life.

Currently its dirty.

Could I use the proper weight conventional and do my oil change, run it a couple hundred mile, change again and then 200 more change and goto synth?

Or could some give me some input on what I should do?

THANKS.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Engine flush? - 08/11/20 05:38 PM

Newer or old model? If it's just dirty oil and not sludge then I'd just do a normal oil change and check the looks of the oil in a couple of hundred miles.

Re: Engine flush? - 08/11/20 06:32 PM

2015 2.4 tigershark

If it were and old motor id just flush and flush and flush.

Re: Engine flush? - 08/11/20 07:23 PM

That new a car should use synthetic and I don't see how it could need that much flushing unless it NEVER had an oil change. shruggy

Re: Engine flush? - 08/11/20 07:35 PM

Ok I will just do a oil change, let one qt run wild out the pan.... run and change sooner then later for piece of mind.

THANKS Stump and good luck on your procedure!

Re: Engine flush? - 08/11/20 09:13 PM

Hope the oil just needs a change and thanks for the thoughts.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Engine flush? - 08/13/20 03:30 AM

Yo pOtO... ever thimk of dropping the pan ?

Re: Engine flush? - 08/13/20 04:21 AM

Well, hmmm..... maybe, never thought about it. It looks easy to do on that rig and since im replacing every single shield and plastic part under the car it might be a ok thing to do.

Im looking at a 2017 Hellcat Charger with six miles on it, I seem to do alot better with things I buy new, they stay like new, at least appearance wise.

My 96 PSD 3/4T 4x4 5 speed has 32k miles and looks showroom new since its never parked outside. In fact its looking like I could get 5k more then the sticker price I payed.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Engine flush? - 08/13/20 04:26 AM

I’ve never dropped a pan on a FWD car meself but it looks pretty easy ...

A 2017 Hellcat with 6 miles ????!!!

Re: Engine flush? - 08/13/20 04:30 AM

Yea, a guy is serious about buying a couple of my older mopars and has it sitting in his shops office. Might trade 2 old clunkers for a modern headache.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Engine flush? - 08/13/20 09:15 AM

In the past when I bought a car or truck with unknown history I bought cheap oil and filter ran it short time as a,flush.
Then put good stuff in. By cheap store brand or what ever was on sale. Then what I planed on using
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Engine flush? - 08/13/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
In the past when I bought a car or truck with unknown history I bought cheap oil and filter ran it short time as a,flush.
Then put good stuff in. By cheap store brand or what ever was on sale. Then what I planed on using

This is a pretty decent idea right here. I'm right there with you as far as the maintenance/upkeep on vehicles between new and used. I used seafoam in my daughters car (30 year old Toy with 75k on it when bought) the upkeep on that vehicle was very questionable. She drove around with 2 cans of that in the first oil change I did, put about 800 miles, drained, it was horrible. Rinse and repeat. The treatment worked well.

As far as dropping the pan goes, if its anything like the srt4 I had, its a piece of cake.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Engine flush? - 08/14/20 10:35 PM

pull a valve cover off and it will tell you what it looks like insidw
© 2024 Moparts Forums