Moparts

Warehouse full of wing cars

Posted By: AndyF

Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 12:35 AM

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/secret-stash-of-winged-superspeedway-cars-from-the-1960s/

Looks like it is going to take a small army of Mopar mechanics to ever get all of those cars finished.
Posted By: Devil

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 05:03 AM

I also have some videos from there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ5Sq54eT7LSpn1Mh6Kr6kIw4YChlar0f

Ryan
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 05:26 AM

"I've traveled around the country during the past few years, documenting what we call "barn finds." The term, perhaps a bit misleading, is used to describe any neglected yet still desirable car— regardless of whether said car has or hasn't been in an actual barn. The barn find label may be used for any vehicle that has been sitting neglected, disused, or nearly abandoned by the current owner."

lol, yup, nooooooo schitt, Sherlock! tonguue

Stop using the stupid phrase already and put an end to this BS. A Dusty car in a garage beside the Wifes' SRT Jeep or in a airport hangar are not "barns". And, furthermore, none of these cars are "forgotten": the Owners know dang well where they left them and what they are worth.

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
"I've traveled around the country during the past few years, documenting what we call "barn finds." The term, perhaps a bit misleading, is used to describe any neglected yet still desirable car— regardless of whether said car has or hasn't been in an actual barn. The barn find label may be used for any vehicle that has been sitting neglected, disused, or nearly abandoned by the current owner."

lol, yup, nooooooo schitt, Sherlock! tonguue

Stop using the stupid phrase already and put an end to this BS. A Dusty car in a garage beside the Wifes' SRT Jeep or in a airport hangar are not "barns". And, furthermore, none of these cars are "forgotten": the Owners know dang well where they left them and what they are worth.

Tell us how you really feel.
Posted By: SportF

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 01:42 PM

He should buy an air compressor.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 01:43 PM

a) that's insane

b) I like his explanation
Posted By: topside

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 02:16 PM

Since the article is from 5 years ago, I wonder if much progress has been made on those cars ?
Seems most of these "barn-find" cars never progress beyond their purgatory, or work proceeds at a glacial pace.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Since the article is from 5 years ago, I wonder if much progress has been made on those cars ?
Seems most of these "barn-find" cars never progress beyond their purgatory, or work proceeds at a glacial pace.

Like this,383 GTS not for sale,has been going to restore for 25 yrs,still sitting 22 mi. from me in the same place !

Attached picture PC150559.JPG
Attached picture PC150561.JPG
Attached picture PC150560.JPG
Attached picture PC150562.JPG
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 04:18 PM

Yep, there is a reason the cars are just sitting without getting worked on. Usually due to lack of funds, lack of knowledge, lack of time, lack of tools, or all of the above. Once a car has sat for a long time the odds of the owner suddenly getting up off the couch and working on it are slim to none.

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 04:50 PM

Well this guy is not that. He restores these cars one by one. He is finishing up the restoration on the Daytona and he drove one of his running Cyclone Spoilers to the Aero Warrior Reunion. I was just there in October.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He has gotten a bunch more running since the article.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He drives the Bird regularly.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

Yep, there is a reason the cars are just sitting without getting worked on. Usually due to lack of funds, lack of knowledge, lack of time, lack of tools, or all of the above. Once a car has sat for a long time the odds of the owner suddenly getting up off the couch and working on it are slim to none.

There is also the hoarding mentality in some cases. They don't want to let them go, but are never going to do anything with them. Just gotta have 'em!
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 07:39 PM

Maybe the guy just likes his cars?

Since he owns them, he can do as he wants. He's working on them, driving some, sounds like a good guy to me.

Mike.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by lilcuda
There is also the hoarding mentality in some cases. They don't want to let them go, but are never going to do anything with them. Just gotta have 'em!

Yep I think that is a big part of it in some cases (whether the guy wants to admit it or not).

My wife and I enjoy watching the "American Pickers" show and we will also occasionally see that "Hoarders" show as we are flipping through the channels.

We often say the only difference between those two shows is a) the quality of their junk and b) the size of their buildings/property.

The only guarantee is that none of us live forever. Eventually those old cars will make it back out on the market one way or another....
Posted By: topside

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/11/20 09:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad-mouthing the guy at all; just hoping the cars are coming back.
It's just sad to me to see stuff beat up or neglected, and didn't know if this was more of that.
I comprehend that there can be many different factors behind cars that sit.
Glad he's getting them done and is enjoying them !
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/12/20 02:45 AM

He bought them,they are his cars,they are inside,protected from the weather,and he is working on them! He obviously knew which cars to collect! No need to bash the guy,my garage doesn't look much different,except mine are not as valuable. When I bought every car that I have I see them all being restored to my liking.I believe that this gentleman who owns these cars thinks about every car he has,as I do about my own cars! Great find Ryan,as usual!
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Warehouse full of wing cars - 08/12/20 04:08 PM

That Youtube video I posted on the Shelby, Hemi Challenger, etc. There is another installment in which a friend of the late owner talked about the fellow. He was in computer related work, and had a building full of absolutely worthless computer components, while the Shelby sat outside in the Arizona elements for decades.

The man was a former military pilot, and active in the community. He loved his cars and had good taste in what he bought, but at a certain place the train seemed to run off the rails.
© 2024 Moparts Forums