Moparts

last will and testament.

Posted By: BlueRacer69

last will and testament. - 08/06/20 08:20 PM

I'm wanting to find out if my 91 year old Mother ever made out a will or a living trust in the past. She's very forgetful now in her old age, and can't remember if she did or not. Are people's wills a matter of public record. Or how can I find out if she has one. Thanks.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: last will and testament. - 08/06/20 09:05 PM

Look through her papers. A lot of times folks will get their copies and put them where other important papers are. I found a life insurance policy in a box of important papers when my mother died. Then try asking any friends or other family that may have taken her to meetings in the past. They can tell you who she saw.

Good luck.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: last will and testament. - 08/06/20 09:54 PM

Sometimes they can be recorded with the county. Might check there.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: last will and testament. - 08/06/20 11:11 PM

Does she have a family lawyer? My folks did and all the paperwork was easy to find.

My brother's will and power of attorney were laying on a shelf in his bedroom closet. I figured that out after spending 3 hours going through his desk.

Re: last will and testament. - 08/07/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by slantzilla
Does she have a family lawyer? My folks did and all the paperwork was easy to find.

My brother's will and power of attorney were laying on a shelf in his bedroom closet. I figured that out after spending 3 hours going through his desk.
She does not have a family lawyer. frown
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: last will and testament. - 08/07/20 02:11 AM

When all else fails get in touch with a lawyer who specializes in wills and estate work and have them look into it. They'd know where the common places are for one to be filed and could find out from other lawers if they've ever done one for her. It's a pretty common thing to do.
Posted By: klunick

Re: last will and testament. - 08/07/20 02:22 AM

In Maryland all wills are filed at the county courthouse. From reading online, that is not necessarily required in Michigan but apparently it has to be signed and witnessed by at least 2 other folks 18+. If she doesn't have one at the probate court, then a deposit box is a good place to look. Has she named an executor?

Re: last will and testament. - 08/07/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by klunick
In Maryland all wills are filed at the county courthouse. From reading online, that is not necessarily required in Michigan but apparently it has to be signed and witnessed by at least 2 other folks 18+. If she doesn't have one at the probate court, then a deposit box is a good place to look. Has she named an executor?
She has, No executor, and no one has power of attorney.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: last will and testament. - 08/09/20 03:47 AM

If you can not provide the probate court with s POA and a will.the state will appoint one at the cost of 10% of the gross estate and let the fighting begin catfight
© 2024 Moparts Forums