Moparts

Anyone going back to stock?

Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 04:14 PM

Anyone going more back to a stock mopar type ride and putting the money in newer iron?
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 04:47 PM

going back to a Mopar stock type is good.

Buying a modern Mopar is no option for me at all.
It is not about the money but I like to drive old Mopars anytime

In the winter (salt time) I drive an ugly Mercedes

Carsten
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 05:51 PM

No way. Been there done that. Stock is boring. Turning wrenches is fun. New iron is too much expense at once time. Modernizing old iron is fun to do and makes driving more exciting. I’ll take a low buck vintage ride and make it want I want over a high or low dollar stocker any day. Do upgrades when I want to do them when I want to spend the money.
Posted By: RobG

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 06:32 PM

I am trying to purchase a 1978 D200 with Cummins diesel. The truck has been sitting outside a barn for 2 years, general rust in normal areas. The frame is solid.

I just want a farm truck and may toss a snow plow on it.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 08:06 PM

For a long time I considered a new Challenger. As time went on I decided against it. I still like the old stuff that has some performance modifications. Completely stock is too boring for me.
Posted By: A12

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 10:31 PM

What about "Day-2"? Even in 1969 when I bought (ordered) my '69 Road Runner I couldn't wait to put a set of Hooker Headers on it and tweak a few other things like the ignition (CDI box and distributor mod) and then there was that all important 8-track player and FM receiver hidden in the glove box and four speakers..........and don't forget a new set of custom aftermarket wheels or your choice punkrocka Day-2 still rules today IMO and meant to be driven drive
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 11:34 PM

But B-13,.... have you ever driven a Scatty or HellC ?
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/30/20 11:53 PM

Day two rules! I just can’t get into the new stuff.

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 12:02 AM

YO Fish ... give the NEW STUFF a shot !

NO MO warped brake drums ... tight steering ....nice AC ... shall I CARRY ON ?
Posted By: A12

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass..

Nurse carbon fiber what would $3,700 in 1969 dollars be in 2020 dollars??
Posted By: srt

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by A12
What about "Day-2"? Even in 1969 when I bought (ordered) my '69 Road Runner I couldn't wait to put a set of Hooker Headers on it and tweak a few other things like the ignition (CDI box and distributor mod) and then there was that all important 8-track player and FM receiver hidden in the glove box and four speakers..........and don't forget a new set of custom aftermarket wheels or your choice punkrocka Day-2 still rules today IMO and meant to be driven drive

Still doing that hookers, racer brown, anti pump-up's, mallory, mark V, accel solid core, gabriel hijackers, ansens and torque thrust, make sure that 8 track has a slide mount and you have package shelf 6x9's

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by A12

Nurse carbon fiber what would $3,700 in 1969 dollars be in 2020 dollars??

Well Z11 .. u tell me ... tsk

And jsta think ... you could get AT LEAST a HC for that Dinosaur maSHEEN of yours ! grin

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 01:22 AM

IM ALL FOR DAY2 CARS.... Yea, cars like we had that we could drive in day 2 config until it was dead.

Im sorta meaning the highly modified cars that get into the same costs as a new srt type car.

Maybe I should of asked about semi stock.

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 01:28 AM

No mention of the CHEATER CAM. I got one of those, it rocks like a roller, maybe a stretch for day 2 though.

Originally Posted by srt
Originally Posted by A12

Still doing that hookers, racer brown, anti pump-up's, mallory, mark V, accel solid core, gabriel hijackers, ansens and torque thrust, make sure that 8 track has a slide mount and you have package shelf 6x9's
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
IM ALL FOR DAY2 CARS.... Yea, cars like we had that we could drive in day 2 config until it was dead.

Im sorta meaning the highly modified cars that get into the same costs as a new srt type car.

Maybe I should of asked about semi stock.

Look, you can’t make the old stuff compete with the new stuff $ for $. I’m sure the hobby is much more segmented than just two kinds of people but either you like to wrench and enjoy the satisfaction of your sweat equity or you just want to go with the latest creation of someone else’s imagination. If your fortunate enough to do both more power to you. Even though my gen three Charger won’t outrun some of the new ones there is way more enjoyment in a lopey cam, smelly exhaust, absence of refinement and sophistication, one of a kind looks and just the pleasure of driving nostalgia. There is no need for a stereo with electric cutouts bumptious sometimes I wish I had cup holder back and not the one that hangs in the window gap of the door. 😁
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 02:33 AM

There's very little I'd change about my 'Cuda. The new Hemi, OD, EFI, A/C, etc. has made my car a dream to drive. Ready to run 100% regardless if it is 30° out or 105° out. Gas up and go!

I need a bit more horsepower to shake off a current 5.0 Mustang or high end Challenger...but that's okay. The bar for speed is extremely high.
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 02:45 AM

I like them semi stock. There is nothing like a new SRT vehicle for comfort, cruising and fun though. That's just me getting old, but I do have a couple old Mopars that are still stock too and will stay that way. I have also Hellcat swapped a Barracuda so the best of both worlds.

Attached picture 20200725_121932.jpg
Attached picture 20200721_191815.jpg
Attached picture 20200426_182003.jpg

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 01:38 PM

How about THIS ... AM ? .... and then finding a crashed Scatty or HC .... and putting EVERYTHING into THIS ?

Attached picture BC4F179D-AF70-4B10-B816-4E3FBEC7BB58.png
Posted By: moparx

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 04:15 PM

you NEED to do that DoC ! boogie
and leave the paint as it is !
beer
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 06:38 PM

Stock? Up next is a 360 with EFI.

Attached picture thumbnail-1.jpeg

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 06:40 PM

Goody, your deal is top notch. If we could all have your drive and do what you did to your cuda the world would be a better place.

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
There's very little I'd change about my 'Cuda. The new Hemi, OD, EFI, A/C, etc. has made my car a dream to drive. Ready to run 100% regardless if it is 30° out or 105° out. Gas up and go!

I need a bit more horsepower to shake off a current 5.0 Mustang or high end Challenger...but that's okay. The bar for speed is extremely high.
Posted By: -Cuda

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 07:55 PM

Sold my Barracuda 9 months ago and bought a widebody Scat. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Fast, comfortable, reliable.
Sold my satellite 5 months ago and put in a home generator. Another win-win.

The old iron had become dust collectors. The had become like an old die cast. Cool to tell people you had but just taking up space and sitting.

Nothing like hitting the button, ac blowing, and tapping the accelerator opening up nearly 500hp and blowing away any of the top performing cars mopar had rolling off the assembly line during the muscle era.
I still like looking at the old cars but have no desire to pull anymore wrenches.

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 08:02 PM

Ive dipped into the newer stuff, its not for me, stock or day 2, NOT PRO STREET OR A STREET RACE CAR.

I really dig the old cars (stock or day2) we could drive to work on a nice day, run 25 gallons of premium a night out playing and still stick to 3k mile oil changes and regular service.

I cant get past the cheap feeling of the new stuff, no matter how fast. Not saying that is the case but its my perception of things.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 07/31/20 10:30 PM

Going back?
Ive never really deviated from it really.

Built up / modified usually just ended up with broken parts for me over the years . So stock just worked for me.

I gave some serious thoughts to just buy a new/newer Challenger or maybe SRT charger. But to me they dont have the same feel ( soul so to speak )
I did / and have given some thoughts to a Viper instead.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 03:03 AM

I've left some stock and others modified with stock parts. I have no budget or desire for a new performance car. I would like a newer Durango, though. I'm perfectly happy with my other "modern" car (the little German car). There are times that I wouldn't mind something that would get 40 mpg on the highway of something else that gets maybe 10 with a tailwind...

I do not see ever selling the GTS convertible or the Barracuda convertible. We have two cars and two sons, who each want one (yeah, they've got their own, too...).

Attached picture 0.jpg
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 03:34 AM

YO Fish ... give the NEW STUFF a shot !

NO MO warped brake drums ... tight steering ....nice AC ... shall I CARRY ON ?

Just not my bag baby
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 03:36 AM

No.
The slant six and 3 on the column wasn't cool. The 360 and floor shift automatic makes the Duster much more fun to drive.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 03:37 AM

The old.

Attached picture 038.JPG
Attached picture 020.JPG

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 08:03 AM

I like my old to drive around and park it in front of the house

[Linked Image]

No AC for me

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 08:06 AM

[Linked Image]

the 383 can't compare with and brandnew Hi performance muscle but it shakes, rattles&rolls. It gives me way more satisfaction and positive feelings than any modern car ever could

Carsten
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 11:54 AM

My daily is a 51 Plymouth, other than rewiring it due to age and updating it to 12v it's pretty much stock, for now.

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/01/20 02:48 PM

I
Originally Posted by moparx
you NEED to do that DoC ! boogie
and leave the paint as it is !
beer

oleHam2... I’d need YOUR BANK and cHeEzYs to afford that !

That Lancer HAS TO BE every bit of 1000 lbs PLUS lighter than the Charger but the cost eek

Someone with the fab skills ...clue me in !
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Anyone going back to stock? - 08/02/20 04:15 AM

Carsten
You have some of the coolest cars! I love the 71 Bee!
KID
© 2024 Moparts Forums