Moparts

So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA

Posted By: 71TA

So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 06:40 PM

She had worked as a PCT (Patient Care Technician), basically a gopher, at a local hospital will getting her bachelors. They knew she was pursuing a PA (Physician Assistant) degree so let he "help" in the ER doing chest compression on busted up bodies and shadowing other PA's. She would tell me stories of a "pretty 20 something girl that she was talking to when she came in all tore up from a car accident but didnt make it. I'm going to bed". Or "dad a guy your age came in from a motorcycle accident. He was wide awake. We were talking. His leg was so tore up they couldnt stop the bleeding and he died". I mean SHEESH. She was 20. I couldn't stomach that at 57.

So now shes back in the ER as a PA. She started Tuesday making GREAT $ but earned it. I couldn't have done what she has either. No wonder I had a $10,000 ER bill last fall when I went in for Vertigo and they tested me for everything but pregnancy!

Attached picture IMG_5331a.JPG
Posted By: tboomer

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 06:47 PM

Congrats! Your daughter has done well! up

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 07:01 PM

I'll give a thank you for her. I take NO CREDIT except that we moved to and were the poor people (and I dont even have a high skool diploma so forgive my grammar) in an old money neighborhood. Being surrounded by people with goals and professions (on our street were business owners, doctors, law firm owners and a senator) was the best thing we ever could have done. But SHE had to take advantage of it..

Everyone asks, and she doesnt like the question, why didnt she just become a Dr. She sure as hell is smart enough and has the mental toughness even though she appears "girly". I know she told me getting into PA program was harder to get into than Med school cause the class size was smaller. She actually had to wait a year even though he grades, experiences, work history, written letters of referrals from doctors was impeccable (those dont matter as much anymore since there are other factors at play in this crazy world now) But she said it would be 2 more years of school and 4 years of residency and as she put it "the dont make much for 4 years" Thought she said like $30-$40k. At that point she'd be like 34 and would probably like to work in her profession, make some $, pay off her relatively modest student loans before starting a family.
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 07:09 PM

Good for her .... but for the overall medical costs for everyone? ... not so much.

I just spent about 4 hours in the ER yesterday early morning.... I’m sure sometimes they are busy ...but yesterday 4 people of maybe the 30 that were there were working.
Posted By: calmopar

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 07:17 PM

Congrats, Dad. Say what you want, but good parenting is the #1 predictor of a child's success (and happiness) in life. Congrats to her too, of course! Now that she's Miss Moneybags, I expect you to be getting weekly free beer deliveries?

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass..
Good for her .... but for the overall medical costs for everyone? ... not so much.

I just spent about 4 hours in the ER yesterday early morning.... I’m sure sometimes they are busy ...but yesterday 4 people of maybe the 30 that were there were working.

Kinda like firemen. But they are there when the poop hits the fan. Lotta jobs are like that.

i agree. I hate hospitals and doctors (nothing personal). After my $10,000 BS Veritigo bill I will NEVER goto the hospital under my own power. THIEVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter knows how I feel too smile

PS calmopar, she's my new health care plan for the wife and I.
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 08:57 PM

Congrats to both you and your daughter's hard work. thumbs
Posted By: Devil

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 09:02 PM

That's awesome. Congratulations to her and her hard work ethic. I wonder where she got it from?
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 09:58 PM

Congrats Pop! And to your little girl too!
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 10:14 PM

That is awesome!! Sounds like she has a great career in front of her.

Tell her "Thanks" for helping those who need it.
Posted By: Suregrip391

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/09/20 11:34 PM

$95/hour or 95k year did you mean? In any event, congrats to you and your daughter.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/physician-assistant-medical-salary/warren-mi

Posted By: dart4forte

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 12:17 AM

Some of the best docs that took care of me were Army PAs. Pretty much no nonsense, get you in and out all patched up. Sounds like a career that’s in her heart. PAs that specialize in heart clinic make bigbucks.
Posted By: topside

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 12:21 AM

Sounds like she also understands economics and math !
Good on ya both: I know that being exposed to the right environment can teach a LOT more than sitting in school.
up
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 03:19 PM

Congrats to her and you. As for your ER bill you can thank the lawyers for that. If I showed you my wifes malpractice premiums it would scare you. I have a daughter who is a paralegal who works for a firm that specializes in medical malpractice another daughter who manages an OB's practice, nursing was not for her but she tried smile

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Suregrip391
$95/hour or 95k year did you mean? In any event, congrats to you and your daughter.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/physician-assistant-medical-salary/warren-mi

Initially she was offered $65/hr but then was offered $95/hr to work afternoons in a short staffed new ER. My daughter says the PA she knows in the dermatologist office that I go to makes nearly $200k. And when she was doing her rotations (last year of school she worked at 9 hospitals), said the ortho PA (fixes broken bones but usually UGLY stuff) made $230k. Her girlfriend PA that I introduced her to (daughter of a humble car guy like me that I know) said she makes $180k working as a PA and then some other job, medical makeup related I think. Her dad told me she gets eye popping bonuses too. Shes the one I wrote about earlier this year that went to NYC to help with corona virus and made $13,000/week. Another car guy I know said his daughter in working in Houston at a plastic surgery office and started at $110k.
Posted By: moparx

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 04:19 PM

it makes no difference to me how much your daughter makes. just congratulate her for me for choosing a profession that will save lives. up bow
beer
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
it makes no difference to me how much your daughter makes. just congratulate her for me for choosing a profession that will save lives. up bow
beer

What Moparx and others have said! Congrats to her, you and the Mrs. Jim for raising a kid(s) in these times we as a nation and society have to endure!
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 05:09 PM

Congrats to your daughter(and you!) My youngest daughter(28) is also a PA. It's not easy! She worked hard through her Bachelors degree(double major,no party girl) then moved herself 900 mi away to finish PA school. She figured out all the financing etc on her own. Her 1st job out of school started her north of 100k. She then took a different job(better hospital,closer to home)that upped her salary another 30k!

Again, congrats to you and yours! It's comforting knowing your kids have goals and can take care of themselves.
Posted By: wingman

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass..

Well, "Doc" maybe you should go back to school and become a real Doctor or an RN and then you can work for free to help keep the costs down for the rest of us.

If people aren't complaining that the lines at the ER are too long, then they are complaining that there is too much help. rolleyes
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/10/20 08:08 PM

Well done. Congrats.

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/11/20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Congrats to your daughter(and you!) My youngest daughter(28) is also a PA. It's not easy! She worked hard through her Bachelors degree(double major,no party girl) then moved herself 900 mi away to finish PA school. She figured out all the financing etc on her own. Her 1st job out of school started her north of 100k. She then took a different job(better hospital,closer to home)that upped her salary another 30k!

Again, congrats to you and yours! It's comforting knowing your kids have goals and can take care of themselves.

Sounds sorta similar to my daughter except my daughter was super lucky to be able to live at home and drive 15 minutes to very well respected but cost effective state college. She was accepted at a school in Florida but it cost like twice as much and then living away from home would have been expensive.

PS Many gaskets on your cars helped with her school smile
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/11/20 01:36 AM

Congratulations! boogie
Posted By: jt4406

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/18/20 09:00 PM

Congrats Jim, to you and her. You and the wife have done your job well, time to step back, let her grow and shape her life, and turn your attention to that 71. You've earned it! jt in ky
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 07/21/20 12:33 AM

Congratulations to your daughter - hard work and perseverance pays off...

My wife's an equity MD, and yes she pays her PAs six figures.. In her practice, daytime work hours and weekends off are most important to the younger PAs because they are single and want to balance work with personal lives.
Cheers,
- Art

Re: So proud. Daughter started new job as a PA - 08/06/20 01:28 AM

Daughter treated herself to a decent car (FINALLY off my insurance!). My 28yo son sells Cadillacs and Vettes. Said this was hard to get even here in Detroit. He had to bring it in from PA. She was looking at other foreign cars but she decided on domestic. She said the one she test drove was loaded with all the bells and whistles for a bunch less than the foreign cars. PLUS we're in Detroit and again my son works at a domestic dealer. My son is surprising her. She'll see it tonight after getting home at midnight from the hospital.
Again, so proud. She's been SO frugal. TINY student loans. She can literally pay off her loans with 20 paychecks. Lived at home. Went to a well respected state college 15 min door to door in downtown Detroit instead of spending THREE TIMES as much at an out of state college for the "experience" (SO stupid).

Attached picture caddy.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums