Moparts

Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ?

Posted By: kidmopar

Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 03:09 AM

He of course runs "Harms Auto" in Washington ....... "?" shruggy
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 03:47 AM

Hi, I am around but am boycotting Moparts. The infolinks garbage pushed me over the top. If it ever gets the boot I might come back. I'll be glad to help you if you need anything.

Thanks!
Scott
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 03:53 AM

Oh no, we were all hoping he would stay away... laugh2
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 04:54 AM

Hey Scott - glad to hear you are OK. I was about ready to bail on Moparts also but then someone on here recommended switching to the Firefox browser and downloading Adblocker. Worked like a charm. Now I'm still here with no infolink distractions. twocents

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 05:07 AM

Edit: It is Ad Blocker Plus you want. It is free.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ScottSmith_Harms
Hi, I am around but am boycotting Moparts. The infolinks garbage pushed me over the top. If it ever gets the boot I might come back. I'll be glad to help you if you need anything.

Thanks!
Scott

A man of action
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ramrod39
Hey Scott - glad to hear you are OK. I was about ready to bail on Moparts also but then someone on here recommended switching to the Firefox browser and downloading Adblocker. Worked like a charm. Now I'm still here with no infolink distractions. twocents

Exactly what I use as well. Completely shuts out Infolinks.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 11:50 AM

I have been putting up with the infolink aggravation on my mini laptop for more than a half a year. I guess I have been just too lazy to do something about it.
I'm running chrome and I just now downloaded Adblocker and restarted and now the pain in the ass infolink is gone.
Thanks for the wake up call everyone....
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 12:18 PM

Edit: It is Ad Blocker Plus you want. It is free.

There is a down side to Ad Blocker. I've been running it for months with Firefox and now numerous sites pop up with a message like "we notice that you are running an adblocker and because of that you can't use our website". I really don't care, when the ads blocked count hits over 20 on some sites, it's worth it.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 12:42 PM

Yeah, we have a section here on Moparts that says they politely ask that you turn off Adblocker. But if you don't, they block your access. Hardly polite. So screw them.

There are occasionally a site here or there that denies access with Adblocker. But that is a small price to pay for the convenience that the blocks provide. Life on the 'net would be unbearable without it.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 12:43 PM

Infolinks is indeed a pain.

One of the safest ways to surf the internet Is with an unregistered “virgin” iPad whose Safari cookies get regularly erased. Moparts embracing Infolinks makes this a hassle every time Safari cookies are erased.

I know about the various browsers, adblockers, On Windows, Apple, Linux, even BSD.
I know about blocking ads upstream by DNS, routers, “piholes” etc.

But Infolinks makes Moprts far less enjoyable to visit than in the “old days”.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 02:23 PM

I don't know the economics of running a site like this but I would think the drop is traffic caused by folks avoiding the Infolinks hassle make it less valuable to other advertisers.

However like I have mentioned before the Infolink money must be pretty good because Moparts management does not seem to care that the users hate it.
Posted By: BIGGERED

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 02:32 PM

Info links is not as bad as getting a trojan virus from your website and it taking 24 hours to scrub it out of my computer.

Granted that was ten years ago.

IL is easy enough to bypass, so I have no idea what your issue is!

Thank you!
Kevin
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 02:45 PM

Stay outta trouble Scott. I hear ya on the annoying pop ups.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 02:48 PM

I get the message all the time that they want me to turn off adblocker, no how no way! If your site tells me that then I go to another site to find the information I want, plenty of fish in the sea...
Posted By: moparx

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I get the message all the time that they want me to turn off adblocker, no how no way! If your site tells me that then I go to another site to find the information I want, plenty of fish in the sea...

^^^^^^ THIS FOR ME AS WELL !
beer
Posted By: RobG

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by buildanother

I can no longer surf Moparts when I am using my phone. These pop-ups are annoying as hell.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 05:02 PM

You can use Ad-Block Plus. I'm running uBlock Origin (and Nano Defender). I see few ads and no popups. shruggy
Posted By: GY3

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by RobG

I can no longer surf Moparts when I am using my phone. These pop-ups are annoying as hell.

SAME HERE!

They are brutal with a mobile device.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

^^^^^^ THIS FOR ME AS WELL !
beer

thumbs

If I had a phone that wouldn't let me block ads, I be getting a phone that would. No phone is going to own me, now or ever.
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/02/20 08:19 PM

I hate using a phone for the internet and rarely do. Hadn't logged in here at Moparts for "quite a while" so was curious to see what was happening a few days ago, was sorry to see Stu had passed.

I'm thinking a piece of duct tape across the bottom of my monitor will take care of infolinks. smile

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/03/20 02:04 AM

iagree Yup.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/03/20 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Exactly what I use as well. Completely shuts out Infolinks.

Well then, why the heck is "Infolinks" even here? This is by far the biggest complaint about thus forum in several years. It is even mentioned on facebook and other Mopar forums. It is the clear reason that many people say that they have quit using the site.
It reminds me of high tax states that see their productive citizens move out so they just raise taxes more on the few that remain.
Posted By: calmopar

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/03/20 03:22 PM

Scott is an incredible resource and the fact that he's not participating on Moparts is like a canary in the coal mine.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/03/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by RobG

I dont have any issues on my laptop,,,, 'But my phone is a whole nother story.
This infolinks crap is a royal pain in the [censored]

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/03/20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by calmopar
Scott is an incredible resource and the fact that he's not participating on Moparts is like a canary in the coal mine.

Hard to argue with that.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/05/20 02:19 AM

if Scott is gone: Whom are we going to ask if it is harmless?

Carsten
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Anyone seen / heard SCOTT SMITH ? - 07/05/20 02:28 AM

This place is simply too valuable a resource for me to leave. I work in IT though, so I do have methods of sanitizing the site; which I do.

Really enjoyed your posts Scott.
© 2024 Moparts Forums