Moparts

Good Products for Sealing Cracks in Concrete Block Walls

Posted By: Powerflow

Good Products for Sealing Cracks in Concrete Block Walls - 06/27/20 02:25 PM

We're in 'fix-up' mode because we will be selling soon. Our basement has concrete block walls and there are a number of cracks in the mortar and a few that go through the blocks themselves. I don't see any movement, just cracks. I want to do a quick patch job on the cracks and then paint the basement walls white so everything blends in. What would be the best products to use? If there is a good 'squeeze-tube' type of patch I'm all ears. Any ideas appreciated.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Good Products for Sealing Cracks in Concrete Block Walls - 06/27/20 03:20 PM

ACE hardware sells mortar in a premixed can.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Good Products for Sealing Cracks in Concrete Block Walls - 06/28/20 05:06 PM

There are some vids on Youtube addressing this. I'm using the epoxy pack that Simpson[ the company that makes a lot of structure components for construction] makes for this purpose. There are other companies too. I got this off Amazon since the local stores did not carry it. Its a liquid low viscosity material that you pump into the crack using a caulking gun. The fun part for me is backstopping the fill to keep it from oozing out. I purposely did't lay on the epoxy paste like they say as my foundation has a lot of it above ground and didn't want the repair area to be see. A basement should be a breeze as its backfilled on the one side.
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Good Products for Sealing Cracks in Concrete Block Walls - 06/29/20 01:36 AM

I've used different stuff over the years and I found that I like normal mortar the best. If the cracks are larger, I like hydraulic cement. For smaller areas, I use older plastic containers to mix the mortar and just throw it away when I've done. I'm picky so, I normally go over my work with a damp sponge and everything blends in perfectly.
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: Good Products for Sealing Cracks in Concrete Block Walls - 06/30/20 10:20 PM

Ive used stuff from Emecole to seal up a crack in my basement concrete walls. Works well. Watched a few videos and applied the stuff. It expands and sealed up any issue I had. This doesn't "blend" in very well unless you work the stuff afterward or hide it behind a framed wall.

https://emecole.com/diy-basement-wall-crack-repair/
Posted By: srt

Re: Good Products for Sealing Cracks in Concrete Block Walls - 07/01/20 12:54 AM

Get some sikaflex 1a
clean and dry the cracks
fill and let dry
paint
this stuff bonds well and flexes
© 2024 Moparts Forums