Moparts

AGM battery charging ?

Posted By: moparx

AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 02:05 PM

i just "inherited" an AGM battery that has been dead for a long time.
it is a durecell ultra platinum 60ah, 600cca, group 24 size.
it now shows on my dvm .07 volts.
can this be brought back ? i don't have a charger for AGM batteries, although i have considered buying one for quite a while. the only charger i own is an old shumacher 2-10 amp charger. if i can use this charger coupled to a regular type battery, how discharged should the regular battery be ?
or am i wasting my time trying to bring this AGM back to life ?
TIA graciously as always ! bow
beer
Posted By: AndyF

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 03:27 PM

Optima makes a nice charger for AGM batteries. I have one of these and it works really nice.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ULT-150-40000
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 03:55 PM

The Optima Chargers are great, that is what I own at home and I have been in the battery business for a long time. AGM or not prolonged periods of lack of use do not do a battery any good, at .07 volts its pretty much a brick at this point. Its not impossible that it will charge up, but unlikely.

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 04:14 PM

that does look like a nice charger andy. thank you ! up
i just may have to try that. i need a new charger anyway.
as i have nothing in this battery, at .07v, i'm not expecting anything.
beer
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 04:33 PM

I am currently trying to charge an Optima battery that requires a regular battery in series with the Optima. Sometimes I have luck doing it that way, sometimes I don't. All in all I HATE Optima batteries. I don't have enough of them laying around to justify buying a another charger just for Optima's...
Posted By: topside

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 04:45 PM

The newer (last few years) Schumacher triickle/maintainer chargers work with anything.
Used one on a couple Optimas I had.
Roundabout $25.
I also replaced an ancient 40A charger with a new Schumacher, charges/boosts anything, think it was about $70.
Kinda depends on how big a hurry you're in laugh2
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 05:15 PM

I use a Battery Tender Plus on my Optima red top, works fine.

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by topside
The newer (last few years) Schumacher triickle/maintainer chargers work with anything.
Used one on a couple Optimas I had.
Roundabout $25.
I also replaced an ancient 40A charger with a new Schumacher, charges/boosts anything, think it was about $70.
Kinda depends on how big a hurry you're in laugh2

hurry ? what's that ? i couldn't hurry if i was being chased by the guy with the pitchfork ! laugh2
maybe a new style schumacher would be worth investigating. the one i have now was bought around 1974 or so, and it still works ! if their quality is only half as good as it was back then, it will be the last battery charger i'll ever buy !
beer
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/26/20 09:19 PM

I won't waste my money on an AGM battery let alone a special charger for one. They don't last any longer than a lead acid battery and cost 3-4X as much. Not worth it in my eyes.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/27/20 12:14 AM

AGM batteries aren't really a good fit for the typical charging pattern a vehicle will see.

I work in an industrial/commercial back up power company and we use AGM's built to our specifications exclusively. Our charging scheme is optimized for AGM's, a vehicle's isn't. We specify a room temperature of 77 degrees, with hotter cutting life expectancy, I forget the percentage loss of life per degree above 77, but it's not minimal, no way a vehicle's AGM battery can be maintained at that temperature. We test them regularly, just got back from testing 160 of them at a local 911 center.

We only warranty the batteries for 3 years and recommend replacement at 5. Of course most of the customers I deal with will have substantially more severe issues than a tow home if their backup fails.

So as said, don't waste your money.
Posted By: 360view

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/27/20 01:27 PM

At 0.07 volts there is not much chance that old AGM would ever be useable.

I have owned one of these 4 amp chargers for 5 years and believe it works somewhat

https://www.pulsetech.net/store/12v...tery-maintenance-charger-desulfator.html

I wish it had another led light for 90% Charge level between the 75% and 100% leds that are provided.

Pulsetech claims they do not use simple voltage to judge percent charge,
but “charge current acceptance”
which I take to be similar to impedance.

It takes a long time to go from 75% charge to 100%
sometimes 36 hours.

I put a $21 Kill-A-Watt power meter on it to get a better sense of how things are going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_A_Watt

https://www.pondliner.com/kill-a-wa...q2I6i6gIVc-W1Ch05YA3oEAQYAyABEgL29vD_BwE

No load it consumes 2 watts.
When starting to charge a lead acid battery that was below 12.3 static voltage the Pulsetech will use 48 watts and the led for 25% charged will light. When it gets to 100% charge it will show 4 watts being consumed by the Powetech.

When the Powertech is charging a battery
an AM radio will have a lot of radio frequency interference (RFI) buzzing noise at 530 kilohertz.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/27/20 03:17 PM

i bought a noco genius g3500 battery charger on clearance sale 10 years ago for $30.
it will charge any type of battery. it won't charge a completely dead battery. you have to put a little juice in the battery first from a regular charger first.
i have revived several completely dead AGM batteries with it that others gave up on.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NOCO-Genius-G3500-6V-12V-3-5-Amp-Battery-Charger-and-Maintainer/46605772

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/27/20 04:31 PM

please don't get me wrong guys. i'm NOT going to buy an AMG battery, i was just wondering if this battery i had given to me could be re-charged.
and the fact the charger i own now is so old, i MAY be considering purchasing a new charger.
very insightful comments so far.
thank you ! up
beer
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: AGM battery charging ? - 06/28/20 11:29 AM

Like I said before the Optima charger is great. I just have the small 4 amp one and love it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums