Moparts

Any MG fans/experts here?

Posted By: not_a_charger

Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 01:13 PM

Thoughts on this car? My wife is interested in this as a replacement for her Valiant convertible we sold last summer. The 5 speed conversion, elimination of the Lucas electrical system, the modern seats...I think this looks like a nice one, though it begs for a chrome bumper conversion. Thoughts on the car?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mg/b/2407225.html
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 01:43 PM

Looks like a cool car. Elimination of the Joseph Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrical system is a big plus... up
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 01:47 PM

Dang, that's maybe the nicest "B" I've seen. It's always fun to own one of the best of anything. I've had MGs and Triumphs, and while the electricals can be a bother (although that seems addressed on this car) they are basically tractors mechanically. Robust and low-revving. A little bailing wire, a hammer and a screwdriver fixes just about anything.
And yeah, it's screaming out for chrome-bumper conversion.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Thoughts on this car? My wife is interested in this as a replacement for her Valiant convertible we sold last summer. The 5 speed conversion, elimination of the Lucas electrical system, the modern seats...I think this looks like a nice one, though it begs for a chrome bumper conversion. Thoughts on the car?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mg/b/2407225.html

Hard to go wrong with this. Not a huge fan of tiny British cars personally, but have several friends with them who love them. Midgets, MGAs and I've driven their MGB's like this one. Super fun to drive for the little HP they have. TONS of parts and enthusiast support. You'll be fine. I've seen less expensive MGB's, that's about all I can offer for intelligent input.

Cheers,
- Art
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 03:33 PM

Great little cars. My friend is building an MGA with the 215 Aluminum Buick V8 and 5 speed F Body transmission in it. Funny part is he is 6'7 so its a tight fight, he also has an early early E-Type Coupe.
Posted By: topside

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 04:18 PM

I'm by no means an expert, but a buddy back in the late '70s had one.
He beat that thing like a rented mule,and it never broke.
Oddly perhaps, I don't think he ever had electrical issues, either, but Lucas is legendary for a reason...
I'd say the proposed car's 5-speed and electrical mods would be wise improvements.
British cars are also good at leaking fluids, check into that with the seller.

You know the saying: happy wife, happy life.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 05:30 PM

I've always liked them but no way I'd pay that much for one especially when someones modified it like that. Knock 10K off the price and it's more realistic. Even if you like the changes the seller did i'd rather do it myself and know what all and how it was done. I'd rather drive my own project then someone elses.

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 05:54 PM

I have zero desire to do that. No time, no interest.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 08:21 PM

Is lack of a cat going to be an issue?

Other than that, looks like a nice ride.

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 08:43 PM

Nope. That car does not need any emissions testing. Here's what the owner said about the electrical system when I emailed him:

"I have replaced the 4 glass fuse original panel with two panels which use modern blade fuses/with LED warning lights, fused circuits that weren't fused originally (like the headlights) . Added relays to take the high current load off the switches for the
high amp draw accessories like the headlights, cooling fan, horns, fog/driving lights, etc. LED lighting for visibility, installed modern AC Delco 105 amp alternator (replaces 42 amp lucas alt.) Installed larger gauge wires on charging and deploying
circuits. Modern radio with bluetooth hands free calling and USB ports. Lucas electrical problems no longer exist for this car. "

Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/25/20 11:25 PM

Great little cars. More comfortable than you'd expect and a ton of fun to drive. My gut reaction is it's about $3K too high.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/26/20 12:17 AM

I had a '72 MGB for one year in '88. Cost me $1500, didn't put much money into it, sold it a year later for the same amount. up

It was really fun to drive, handled like a go-kart, despite having only 62 hp for 2300+ lbs (before I got in it), and no OD. But I got really tired of fixing things every weekend before I could go out and drive it (mostly Lucas electrical problems). Sounds like that's all been removed, so you've got that going for you, which is nice... laugh Also it was terrifying being on the Washington beltway and looking UP at Honda Civics!

Anyway, that seems a bit steep, and you'd better take a very close look at the workmanship of the modifications. But it would be nice to cruise around in.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/26/20 12:35 AM

The car looks really nice. The price might be a bit high but the trans swap alone is probably more than worth it. I worked on a lot of those when I first moved to Florida. Little pieces of crap but fun to drive was my assessment of them then. The trans and electrical work sound like most of the major shortcomings are taken of.
Posted By: topside

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/26/20 12:47 AM

Out of curiosity, I looked on Hemmings.com for MGBs.
90 of them for sale, I filtered down to 18 private parties to eliminate dealers & auctions.
I didn't look closely at each one, but $8,000 - $20,000 was the range for what appeared to be decent to excellent.
Under $8,000 were the obvious crap-boxes; you decide on the upper end whether those are the best ones available, or dreamers.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/26/20 08:02 PM

That HUGE money for an MG I have a 65 Midget and have for many years, The fear of Lucas electrics is completely overblown. MG's have not and prob will not appreciate in value....why I don't know. I'm putting a 210 HP Toyota 4 cyl w 6 sp manual trans in my MG. Selling the oringinal hot rodded A series 1310cc motor that makes prob 75 HP to pay for it.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/27/20 11:48 PM

I would look for a pre 74 chrome bumper car. Those energy absorption bumpers are hideous.

Kevin

Attached picture 1965-MGB.jpg
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/28/20 01:04 AM

Looks like a good car Mike if you want a good look underneath you can bring it by the dealership and I would rack it and check it out for you shruggy

Gus beer

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/28/20 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Twostick
I would look for a pre 74 chrome bumper car. Those energy absorption bumpers are hideous.

Kevin

You can do a chrome bumper conversion on the later models.

Also, we're not necessarily looking for an MG. It's this particular car that caught her eye, and mine, because she likes it, and because of the modifications done to it.

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/28/20 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Looks like a good car Mike if you want a good look underneath you can bring it by the dealership and I would rack it and check it out for you shruggy

Gus beer

Thanks Gus! thumbs
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/28/20 04:12 PM

Nash Metropolitan - NOW you're talking!!

Re: Any MG fans/experts here? - 06/28/20 04:15 PM

Less than zero chance of that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums