Moparts

TPLO on Dogs

Posted By: 70sixpkrt

TPLO on Dogs - 06/16/20 09:22 PM

Just wondering if anybody has done a TPLO surgery on their dogs. I have a 6 year old Yellow Lab that I'm thinking of getting a TPLO surgery. How was it? How long was the recoup time?

Attached picture IMG_3848 2.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/16/20 10:48 PM

I had both done on my rottie, a couple yrys apart. takes a couple months to start healing well. Hard to keep a dog from running around.
Both of them were torn.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/16/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Superfreak
TPLO???

Surgery for bad ACL/Ligament
Posted By: BloFish

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/17/20 03:21 AM

Had one of our Dobermans down with that injury in December 2019, she is now I’m happy to say fully recovered.

Attached picture 4C8E6186-C8BA-419B-99F1-D5F1EF0A687A.jpeg

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/17/20 11:06 PM

How long was the rehab time?

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/17/20 11:40 PM

For her, a solid 5 months. They say it can be a soon as 4 and as long as 6. We live on 2.5 acres where they have a run of the property, so we really took the time to property rehab her prior to letting her run free.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/18/20 01:34 AM

Thanks. My 6 year yellow lab/vizsla (very hyper but good dog) needs it. I'm just trying to find stories from people that have done it already.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/18/20 04:39 AM

We were on the fence ourselves about alternative options, but after consulting others that have been through this ordeal, we decided to go this way and are glad we did.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/18/20 01:35 PM

My dog started to limp last year after off leash running and we brought her in for X-rays. The vet suggested the TPLO. We decided at the time to not do it because she would not limp all the time. Well now after even short leash walks she limps. I’m more worried about the recovery. My house is a tri-level house. I guess I can stay with her in my family room on the ground floor that has access to my yard. She is used to her kennel.

Attached picture maya2.jpg

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/18/20 10:11 PM

Stairs would certainly be out of the question. From your picture I would guess that it is her right knee that is injured. Good luck, I hope it all works out. Remember, patience is a virtue thumbs

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/19/20 03:14 AM

It is her right rear. Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/20/20 02:29 PM

She looks sad in that pic

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/20/20 03:22 PM

She always puts her ears down like that. Very good but hyper dog. Always playful.

Attached picture maya3.jpg
Posted By: markrr

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/23/20 11:37 AM

Our Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix had both legs done at the same time. Recovering and healing took a few months but it was the best thing we ever did. He gets around now as if nothing had ever happened.
I remember him feeling fine as soon as we brought him home from the surgery and he wanted to run, jump, climb stairs, etc. and we couldn't let him until all was completely healed. It was constant work but, again, it was the best thing we could have done for him.
Posted By: markrr

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/23/20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 70sixpkRT

8 weeks for us.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/23/20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by markrr
Our Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix had both legs done at the same time. Recovering and healing took a few months but it was the best thing we ever did. He gets around now as if nothing had ever happened.
I remember him feeling fine as soon as we brought him home from the surgery and he wanted to run, jump, climb stairs, etc. and we couldn't let him until all was completely healed. It was constant work but, again, it was the best thing we could have done for him.

Wow both legs. I'm just worried about the running, jumping, etc. She is a very hyper dog.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/25/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by markrr
Originally Posted by 70sixpkRT

8 weeks for us.

Surgery is set for next Tuesday.
Posted By: savoy_63

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/25/20 02:43 AM

I was in the same situation a few years ago with my then 7 yr old female American lab duck retrieving machine. I consulted with a few vets, and one old timer suggested Long term rest and the scar tissue would stabilize the knee. From October to April that dog laid in her bed and only got up,to do her business. The scar tissue did stabilize and she was able to run in a straight line. I never had her off leash until she passed 6 yrs later.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/25/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by savoy_63
I was in the same situation a few years ago with my then 7 yr old female American lab duck retrieving machine. I consulted with a few vets, and one old timer suggested Long term rest and the scar tissue would stabilize the knee. From October to April that dog laid in her bed and only got up,to do her business. The scar tissue did stabilize and she was able to run in a straight line. I never had her off leash until she passed 6 yrs later.

I have tried that for 2 months. She is used to going out and playing around the house and is a hyper dog. The vet said that her leg is getting worse.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 06/30/20 04:30 PM

TPLO surgery is set for today. I'm just worried about the rehab time. She is fully trained but a jumper and runner.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 07/01/20 04:56 AM

Hope all went well. Remember not to rush the rehab, better safe than sorry.

Re: TPLO on Dogs - 07/01/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BloFish
Hope all went well. Remember not to rush the rehab, better safe than sorry.

Thanks. The vet said it was a moderate tear. She is coming home tonight and then the hard part begins.
© 2024 Moparts Forums