Moparts

"The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey)

Posted By: SattyNoCar

"The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/05/20 02:04 PM

YouTube has been putting a lot of old(er) videos on my 'recommended' list lately. This was one of the more interesting ones. If you've seen it before, my apologies as it was uploaded in 2016.

I was skimming thru the comments and found a few where they felt this was all made up because in the video, they talk about 'calling' their boss while driving around but cell phones weren't around yet. rolleyes shake_head
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/05/20 02:29 PM

Thanks for sharing, I'd never heard of this, though I think I might have seen one of the photos before - I thought it was a prank thing until the journalists started talking about seeing the fingers wiggling...

That was a good outcome.
- Art
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/05/20 02:44 PM

Well see if they had used a car with a better trunk seal they probably wouldn't have been caught. Crappy Mopar trunk seal to the rescue! laugh2
Probably one of the few times that has ever been said.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/05/20 03:24 PM

Oh, I thought this was related to the old DC Sniper by the title.
Posted By: wingman

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/05/20 04:25 PM

Wow. Amazing story.

That guy owes his life to poor Mopar build quality....
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/05/20 05:17 PM

Very interesting....but what about the reporters staying in contact with the news oulet while still following the suspect vehicle...did .they use cb radio... walkie talkies or what.. shruggy.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/06/20 12:24 PM

Enjoyed that, thanks for the post.
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/06/20 02:34 PM

As a life long resident of the great state of Alabama I think I know that guy, he feel asleep waiting on the next batch of the recipe. Never seen this thanks for sharing up
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/07/20 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
Very interesting....but what about the reporters staying in contact with the news oulet while still following the suspect vehicle...did .they use cb radio... walkie talkies or what.. shruggy.

That's what I was wondering. shruggy
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/07/20 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Oh, I thought this was related to the old DC Sniper by the title.

This !

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/washington-d-c-sniper-john-muhammad-convicted
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/07/20 07:08 PM

I would guess CB or car phone.

Did anyone ever figure out why they had Charles Manson in the trunk?
Posted By: FM3_1970

Re: "The hand in the trunk" (not trunk monkey) - 06/08/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

That's what I was wondering. shruggy

The reporters had a CB radio in their car. That's how the cops knew where to show up to make the arrest. Along with the scanner in the newsroom, they were using cutting edge technology. For 1979. grin

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2016/03/hand_from_trunk_newsmen_recoun.html

All the while Winne used their radio to tell their ever-changing location to on-duty editor Garland Reeves, who relayed the information to a Birmingham police dispatcher.

wave
© 2024 Moparts Forums