Barracuda vs Camaro

Posted By: SattyNoCar

Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 02:22 AM

I love these old promo videos.......

Why was the Mustang left out? shruggy

popcorn
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 03:55 AM

Both the Camaro and Barracuda were new for 1970.

They missed the 396/375 in the Chevy stats.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 05:21 AM

The way the announcer says "Barracooduh" sounds funny.
Thank you for the video.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 07:40 AM

I like the dogs barking in the background at 8:50 or so.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 12:57 PM

The Camaro is uncolored for most of the video while the Barracuda is colored. And what an unusual color, too.

Cool video that I hadn't seen before. Thanks.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 01:49 PM

Were these videos produced for the sales staff of dealerships to watch? (Would have been reel to reel on a projector) I dont recall them on TV as a kid.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 01:59 PM

This not a video. It was a slide show to train the salesmen at the dealership. The beep means the slide would change. Early ones had a vinyl record and later ones used a cassette.
Posted By: Redbird

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 01:59 PM

C/P had the standard filmstrips with accompanying records and information cards in the presentation box that dealers got at the beginning of the model year. Each individual filmstrip in the introductory box was information oriented to 1 specific C/P car model. There were about a half dozen filmstrips and records in the introductory box.

Throughout the year, each month if the dealership subscribed to the service, an additional filmstrip and record comparing a C/P product to a competitor's product was sent to the C/P dealer. The filmstrip shown above is one of the monthly offerings.

Companies such as Chevrolet did the same thing.

Here is part of a September '68 Chevrolet box with a 1969 model year introduction.

Attached picture IMG_3134[1].JPG
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 06:02 PM

I have that Chevy one. Had a '66 item with the intro of the Camaro that came with this gorgeous poster.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 06:08 PM

I laughed at when they said to just kick the release to fold down the front seat.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 08:07 PM

I don't see any difference between the two except the badges... stirthepot
Posted By: Redbird

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/25/20 08:27 PM

I'm not making any claim that I have all the pieces. My 1971 Set has the original 7 filmstrips plus 11 other filmstrips sent during the model year. 9 of the 11 "other" are comparison filmstrips.

I have 17 album sides for 1971. Some albums are single sided, some are double sided.

Attached picture IMG_3135[1].JPG
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/26/20 04:16 PM

I have always thought it would be great to have a time machine big enough, to hold a car or a truck from the past. Go back to whatever point in time you like with the
proper amount of cash....walk into the dealer, pick out your desired vehicle, or order it. Then pick it up, load it into your time machine, and voila! Instant car collection
started. I would go back, to get the very first Hemi Cuda convertible (loaded with every option) and the last one built.....I would do the same with the Hemi Road Runners, and Chargers as well.

It would be a "first" and "last" collection....of various vehicles. Watching that video, makes you think of the possibilities of what you could have ordered and bought....
back in the day. work
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/26/20 05:54 PM

Funny. Some of things they they try to play as big advantages for the Cuda aren't really different between the two. I have a friend who was looking to by a new car in 1970. He said the Camaro seemed to be a better build back then. He said the Cuda he test drove had the headlight bezel fall off when he opened the hood. Screws were missing. Didin't make a good first impression. He still has the car. I've been in Cuda's and his, and I do think the dash on the mopar is nicer. The e-bodies are a bit larger. If I were in the market back then I may have ended up with a Camaro over Cuda. Then again, Id probably have went for Challenger over Camaro.
Posted By: topside

Re: Barracuda vs Camaro - 05/26/20 07:21 PM

I've actually owned both at different times, and in '73 chose a Z28 over the Cuda; the quality seemed a bit better on the Camaro.
Plus our family got a helluva deal on GM cars, as Dad's consulting company worked on their healthcare plans.
It was a rare gap for me in terms of Mopar ownership. Possibly the Z28 was faster than the Cuda that year, don't recall.
If I had it to do over, it'd still be a tough choice.
Ironically perhaps, they bring similar money now for a nice one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums