Moparts

Anybody get this suspicious email?

Posted By: Locomotion

Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/14/20 08:42 PM

I was wondering if anybody who includes their email in ads got this suspicious email.

It has the classic signs of a scam and I figure it is. Just wondering if anybody else got something similar.

* Doesn't mention my name.

* Don't know a Barry Miller who would have my email.

* Kinda "all over" about his interest in cars. (Casting a wide "net".)

* Grammer errors.

Looking to buy a Mopar/Muscle
Yahoo
/
Inbox

Peter Williams <petebill1960@gmail.com>
To:
locomo@bellsouth.net

Thu, May 14 at 7:23 AM

Hi, i'm not sure if i got your address correctly.

Barry Miller gave me your contact, he's a member of the Antique Automobile Club of America.

I'm a classic cars collector and have a particular enthusiasm for American and some European models.

Actually i'm restoring a '69 Porsche 911 S Targa and a '69 Pontiac GTO Judge.

Barry think you may have or know about a one for sale. I'm familiar with the restoration and can consider any condition.

Please let me know, i'm a serious buyer.

Best regards,

Peter Williams
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest
of places if you look at it right (Garcia/Hunter)
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/14/20 08:46 PM

I got the exact same one today as well...wish I hadn't opened it....at least I didn't answer
Posted By: topside

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/14/20 09:50 PM

Myron, if you had a computer or 2nd email address you didn't care about:

Send him an email about a Hemi Charger for $2500 laugh2

Seriously, though, it reads like a scam email.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/14/20 10:07 PM

When I get an email like that and was written like the sender isn't a native English speaker I know it's a scam.

If it ever did turn out I was wrong and that it was a legit email and the sender is just a moron, well I don't deal with morons. Because you know that guy will be back blaming you if he gets a flat 6 months from now.

So delete and enjoy the lack of aggravation.

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/14/20 10:40 PM

lol Wish I had time to mess with him, but I have more important things to do. Regardless of how little or how much I asked for "my Hemi Charger", his check for it would be as legit as the car. Wasting his time would be fun, but hopefully my public service announcement can help someone else.

There was an occasion where someone posted something on a Mopar forum in "broken English". It may have been a "parts wanted" ad and it did turn out to be legit. Just gotta be careful and know what to watch for.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/14/20 11:49 PM

I got it too. Was gonna write back about the factory Hemi Satellite Wagon I had but crushed it because I was tired of its poor mpg and all the idiots that kept buggin me about it......but chose to just hit delete instead.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/15/20 12:04 AM

Yep, I got it too.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/15/20 12:06 AM

Haven't gotten that one. But ads on Craigslist and Racing Junk sure attract some fishing hooks.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/15/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Locomotion

There was an occasion where someone posted something on a Mopar forum in "broken English". It may have been a "parts wanted" ad and it did turn out to be legit. Just gotta be careful and know what to watch for.

That's different than an unsolicited email full of issues.

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/15/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by Locomotion

That's different than an unsolicited email full of issues.

True, not probable, but can arouse suspicion due to some similarities.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/15/20 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

I got it too. Was gonna write back about the factory Hemi Satellite Wagon I had but crushed it because I was tired of its poor mpg and all the idiots that kept buggin me about it......but chose to just hit delete instead.

Dang, they made 2 of them. I pulled the 440 Hemi 4 speed out and put a 170 Slant 6 3 speed in mine and went from 2 MPG to 48 MPG.
Posted By: cudaboy340

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/15/20 03:19 PM

I got the exact same email. Only difference was mine came from a Scott Wilson. Funny thing is, and the reason that I opened it, is one of my best friends in high school was Scott Wilson. We're still friends and he's a car guy, so I thought it was legit...at first.

Ed
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Anybody get this suspicious email? - 05/15/20 08:19 PM

I'd suggest you all run a real good Malware scan.

Ether TurboDodge or MiniMopar must have got hacked as I used 1 password just for my 2.2 car forums back in 2006 and earlier. Recently, I got one of those 'Bitcoin Ransom' Emails saying "I know your password is ABC123 and if you do not send $2000 in Bitcoin......" (< Not the real password)

I have not logged in to any site using that password in 14 years. So my password may still be that one in the Email.
© 2024 Moparts Forums