Moparts

ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT....

Posted By: Magnumguy

ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 01:00 AM

On a car sale. Friend who's selling a car, buyer wants to pay via Paypal, but is concerned about "buyer's remorse" and having the $ taken back.

Would you sell a car this way? Pluses and minuses appreciated.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 01:03 AM

I thought that they limit the amount that you can take out per day. Do you want to wait each day to get another installment?

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 01:04 AM

I think using their credit card to pay via PP.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 01:16 AM

Open a new checking account. Transfer PP money into new account. Transfer from new account to existing account. Deliver car,

If they're doing any amount of PP transactions - ebay, online selling, etc, - I would recommend a dedicated account with not much kept in it for that anyway. PP has no problem taking your money from a linked account if they think they have a good reason.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 01:24 AM

Seller should insist on a wire transfer to an account that is dedicated for that purpose. As soon as the payment reaches the account, the seller should transfer the money to a different account.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 01:40 AM

I wouldn't trust paypal with anything like that.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Magnumguy
, but is concerned about "buyer's remorse" and having the $ taken back.

Would you sell a car this way?

Nope, Nope and NOPE
deposit maybe. But full payment, NO
Posted By: stumpy

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 03:27 AM

Remember PP charges a fee to the seller so you need to factor that into the price if you go that way which I sure wouldn't.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 04:39 AM

Wire transfer is the safest way to go.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 05:21 AM

$250 Yes
$2,500 Maybe
$25,000 No! The seller will pay 2.9% so $275.

I have a Chase account just for my PayPal. I keep $250 there so I can buy most things off Ebay. But a few times I've sold something and got $1500 or so, I went that day and drew all but $250 out. This Chase account is not tied to any of my other banks/credit unions. So kind of 'Sandbox'.
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 07:28 AM

He may be using pay-pal credit which can be higher amount.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by hemirdrnnr
He may be using pay-pal credit which can be higher amount.

Payments via PP may not "clear" on your account right away. Always need to be sure of that when selling/shipping via PP payments. You only know if it's "cleared" when you can withdraw/spend or transfer it. Otherwise it's spending
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 11:05 AM

And unless its sent as friends and family method . the sender can claim fraud and Paypal will want the money back

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
And unless its sent as friends and family method . the sender can claim fraud and Paypal will want the money back

That's what the seller's worried about
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: ACCEPTING PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.... - 05/05/20 04:59 PM

Make em use pay pal friends and family or cash. A used car is sold As-Is with no warranty by you so no need to spend %3 of your money giving them a "warranty" through pay pal. The way I look at it is I only set up my pal pal for the buyers convenience, if I feel some reason to give them a gaurantee of some sort it will not be through PP, if they are not OK with all that then they are a shaky buyer and you don't want to sell to them anyhow.
© 2024 Moparts Forums