Moparts

With time on your hands, what are you reading?

Posted By: BSharp

With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/15/20 11:34 PM

I usually read fiction; what are some good novels? I can recommend Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series, and John Sandford's Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers books.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/15/20 11:37 PM

Your post about what we are reading biggrin

Someone had to do it boogie
Posted By: dOc !

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/15/20 11:40 PM

I like fiction TOO ... BS harp wave

So I get most of that from reading the posts on ....

moparts ! grin
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/15/20 11:59 PM

Well I don't have any books here, wasn't really planning on staying here long. I thought about downloading a book to my kindle but with the crappy, limited internet we get here it would probably take a week to download and use up all my limited download ability. So, I'm stuck reading moparts.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 01:53 AM

I am reading up on building a safe room using info from FEMA.

I was intrigued by the guy that had a safe house that looked like a cement outhouse - saved him and his family in the last tornadoes that went through the south.
Posted By: A12

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 03:52 AM

One person's Mopar history of '68 - '70 B-Body in semi-hard cover wink

Attached picture Collectable Automobile 01.png
Posted By: basketcase

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 11:22 AM

The First and the Last by Adolph Galland
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 01:07 PM

I have been reading a couple of books, one is "Inside Shelby America" and the other is "Christine" from Stephen King.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 01:36 PM

Infolinks.
Posted By: jcc

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 02:30 PM

Since you asked, my recent stack of read Non-fiction:

"Fascism" Madeleine Albright 2018

"The Sociopath Next Door" Martha Stout, PhD 2005

"The Art of the Deal" Donald Trump, 1987

"Paris 1919" Margaret Macmillan 2001

"How Democracies Die" Steve Levitsky & Daniel Ziblatt 2018

"Sacred Duty" Tom Cotton 2019

"Once upon a time in Russia" Ben Mezrich 2015

"A very stable Genius" Philip Rucker & Carol Leoning 2020

"Fear" Bob Woodward 2018 will finish within a day or two

The last two were given to me for reading by my 90 year old mother.

I prefer non fiction, as I get enough fiction on the nightly news shows.

Everything above I found to be a worthwhile read, and will only discuss by PM, until further notice.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 02:49 PM

Russian Passion in the night. By Hoonawder Titzov. hop
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/16/20 10:25 PM

I read this one by Scott Adams last week. The creator of Dilbert has several good books out there.
https://www.amazon.com/Loserthink-Untrained-Brains-Ruining-America-ebook/dp/B07P8J8YB6
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/17/20 01:13 AM

I recently read Moby Dick, by Herman Melville. I never read it before until now...great story!
Posted By: FJ6AAR

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/17/20 01:14 AM

This. Very sad but a good read. A must read for a die-hard RUSH fan.

Attached picture IMG_6310.JPG
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/17/20 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
I recently read Moby Dick, by Herman Melville. I never read it before until now...great story!

Check out "In the Heart of the Sea" it is the true story of the event that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick. Excellent book.

Attached picture In_the_Heart_of_the_Sea_--_book_cover.jpg
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/17/20 05:26 PM

I probably started Moby Dick a half-dozen times before I got past the 30th page. When I finally did read it, I was glad that I did. It's easily one of the best American novels ever written. Like a lot of readers, I struggled reading the long and descriptive passages related to the anatomy of whales, etc., but Melville's knowledge of whales and the whaling industry is impressive. It's probably not true, but I read somewhere that Melville purposefully made those passages tedious and boring to give the reader an idea of what it was like to be stuck at sea for months on end. laugh2

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/17/20 09:56 PM

For the seafaring genre, Patrick O'Brian does it as well as anybody.
Posted By: feets

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/18/20 01:47 AM

I just finished Ignition: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/18/20 02:06 AM

THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE AMERICAN RACING CAR by Griffith Borgeson

"The Golden Age of the American Racing Car" emphasizes the human side of racing history, offering insight into the men who shaped the golden age. Covering a period of time from the 1910s through the 1930s, the book describes the historical development of race car technology and presents fascinating information on race courses, designers, builders, drivers, and events. Racing pioneers covered include: Fred Duesenberg, Louis Chevrolet, Harry Miller, Leo Goossen, and Fred Offenhauser."

I find it a fascinating read.

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-American-Racing-Car/dp/B000LB60SO

Attached picture s-l1600.jpg

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/18/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by feets
I just finished Ignition: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants.

Next on your list should be "Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards, and Pyrotechnics: The History of the Explosive that Changed the World" by Jack Kelly. Very readable.
Posted By: jcc

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/18/20 03:24 PM

That sounds interesting, I have no idea how those without all the current technology back in that day could accomplish so much.

Based on all the complaining today with just "Stay at home", we would of back in that day would have a hard time just getting a bicycle manufactured.

I'll track down your book read and give it a shot. up
Posted By: calmopar

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/18/20 03:33 PM

https://www.amazon.com/MySQL-Crash-Course-Ben-Forta/dp/0672327120

[Linked Image]
Posted By: topside

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/18/20 05:42 PM

Been trying to find Collectible Automobile locally, to check out the B-body article, but can't find it anywhere so far.

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/18/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Been trying to find Collectible Automobile locally, to check out the B-body article, but can't find it anywhere so far.

It just hit the news stand at a local or regional super market chain (Meijer) just this past week. My son picked it up for me, I had been looking for it since Diego posted it which was long ago. My son kept saying the May issue was there for weeks and weeks. Surprised it took so long to show up.....hang in there and hopefully it shows up soon up

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/19/20 02:22 AM

Collectible Automobile isn't carried anywhere in my County or the ones south or north of me.
Looks like I'll have to make a 120-mile round trip to Spokane for a copy.
Hope it's worth it !

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/19/20 05:30 AM

Here's are example scanned pages for the pm I just sent you. 14 pages, 15 with the cover scan.

Attached picture Collectible Auto page 68 001.jpg
Attached picture Collectible Auto page 69 001.jpg
Posted By: Lee446

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/23/20 02:47 AM

Lots of interesting books here. The one listed by JCC that I would highly recommend to everyone here is "The Sociopath next door". If you are not a Sociopath or a Psychopath, it is extremely hard to understand the way they think. I guarantee you will recognize people you know and have worked with after reading this book. As to fiction, anything by John Sandford is good, the Jack Ryan books that Clancy started and have been well carried on by some other authors, and the Walt Longmire novels make nice, quick "airplane" reads.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/23/20 02:52 AM

The HH virtual library is ad free and open 24 / 7.

Feel free to read all you like.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Posted By: klunick

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/23/20 04:04 PM

Reading lots of books lately on southern civil war generals. The books aren't as plentiful as one might expect once you get off the big guys like Lee/Jackson but what I have found is most of these guys really had some odd habits and beliefs. Lemon eating, going around with one arm up in the air to help blood flow, etc. Jackson was considered very odd and pretty much a rube by almost all the other generals. Even once he became famous, most of the solders couldn't believe it was him when they saw him as he was completely dirty and dressed like a regular solder, not an officer. For those from the more refined parts of VA this was odd as they had tailored uniforms and held balls in the towns they occupied.

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/23/20 04:22 PM

Another Civil War general with personal issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZfCar-Ks8

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/23/20 10:09 PM

I can testify that the HH site is a good way to spend a few hours, and either learn or prompt one's memory.

I also want to thank A12 for scanning & emailing the CA article, much appreciated !

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/24/20 12:39 AM

Just bought a copy of this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/25/20 12:03 AM

Bill O-Riley's series.
Posted By: TJP

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/25/20 12:12 AM

Hustler, wink LOL
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/25/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by basketcase
The First and the Last by Adolph Galland

Wow! I have "Fighter General" by Galland. I have read that twice. up

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/25/20 12:49 AM

And I also read that one & finished it a few months ago! My dad had it in his library. Queequeg................

Great book. Never did tame the great white whale.

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/25/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1968RR

I probably started Moby Dick a half-dozen times before I got past the 30th page. When I finally did read it, I was glad that I did. It's easily one of the best American novels ever written. Like a lot of readers, I struggled reading the long and descriptive passages related to the anatomy of whales, etc., but Melville's knowledge of whales and the whaling industry is impressive. It's probably not true, but I read somewhere that Melville purposefully made those passages tedious and boring to give the reader an idea of what it was like to be stuck at sea for months on end. laugh2

I believe it was all quite accurate. He DID serve on a whaling ship & was a real sailor back then. The story itself of the "great white whale" was fiction though I'm quite sure. His detailed writing of life aboard a sailing ship back then & the anatomy of whales I would think was spot-on. The book & his style of writing (old English) was tedious, & very complex. After chipping away at that book for a few months (I'd normally read 4 pages an evening), I finally finished it. I started it in November while my dad was doing poorly & told him I was reading it. My dad passed away on 12/4 & I finished it after - in his memory. The book was a difficult read but worth it. After spending all that time reading it, I could not write ONE sentence in Melville's style or structure as he did. It was that complex.

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/25/20 01:02 AM

Just started reading this one a couple nights ago:

Attached picture Blood Red Snow.jpg

Re: With time on your hands, what are you reading? - 04/25/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Just started reading this one a couple nights ago:

I find the journals fascinating. I read this one a number of years ago, excellent:

Eastern Inferno: The Journals of a German Panzerjäger on the Eastern Front, 1941–43
© 2024 Moparts Forums