Moparts

Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ?

Posted By: dOrk !

Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 09:59 PM

..... been told it’s a NO NO by FCA ... and if you do it’s kills any of FCA warranty....
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 10:42 PM

Yes Doc, it'll be fine to tow back some of those cars and trucks I want from the west coast to my house. Thanks for the offer. I accept.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 10:44 PM

The owners manual only lists The V6 for towing they probably would void warranty if you had drivetrain problems with the other engines.
Posted By: A12

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 11:15 PM

Strange as it may seem I wouldn't doubt if it's because of things like alternator capacity, cooling capability (engine and transmission) and even wiring harness? Usually a manufacture installs a larger capacity alternator, trans and engine cooling system, etc., when a tow package is ordered and without it the manufacture does not want to take on the liability should something go wrong. It's not really "extra" capacity with a towing package but capacity that equals what is demanded when towing. Doc I would bet that if you added all of the wattage demand of every electrical component on your car at full power, wipers at full speed, high beams, brake lights, running lights (or 4-way flashers) audio system, glove box and interior lights and I mean everything being on at once, the total would be pretty close to the total capacity of the alternator that was installed on the production line. Not less but very, very close to the total that could ever be demanded of the original alternator. That's a reason the manufacture might be saying it should not be towed with and if you do, and something goes wrong (little likelihood that something would IMO) then don't hold us liable. Their CTA (Cover Their A$$) way of putting on the minimum cost production alternator, cooling system, small capacity battery, wiring harness, etc.,.

Even back in the day they had towing packages for Mopars and for what ever reason you couldn't order it on the A12 package '69 B-bodies? An A12 440 IMO would have no problem towing but was it that it only came with a 4.10 ratio rear gear or standard with a smaller group 24 battery?

This one was funny to me but when I restored my '68 Road Runner I worked on trying to get my front bumper running/parking lights to stay on with the headlights like I remembered my back in '69 Road Runner parking lights did. After many attempts I realized the '68 RR had four side marker lights and the '69 had no side marker lights but reflectors. The standard low watt output alternator would not support the extra bumper parking lights, side marker lights and headlights so one or the other had to go with the headlights on......."strange as it may seem" realcrazy

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Yes Doc, it'll be fine to tow back some of those cars and trucks I want from the west coast to my house. Thanks for the offer. I accept.

lMop ! .... you’ll need a diesel dually and a open 6 car hauler TO BEGIN with your desires !

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
The owners manual only lists The V6 for towing they probably would void warranty if you had drivetrain problems with the other engines.

I tried a BACK DOOR way through the FCA parts dept to get “approval” !!

If they have a hitch available through the parts dept and there’s a listed charge for an install - THEN that might be acceptable. But nothing is available.

Does that make sense that a 6 banger would be allowed.... and a 5.7 or 6.4 would NOT BE?

The transmissions in the V8 cars have to be HD.

I’m not looking at doing ANYTHING heavy ... maybe a small boat or jet ski

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 11:31 PM

B13 !! ... I’m not talking about what a 3500 Ram might TOE here !

just something that might weigh 1500 lb TOPS !

Electrical demands ? Very minimal I think !
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/30/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
B13 !! ... I’m not talking about what a 3500 Ram might TOE here !

just something that might weigh 1500 lb TOPS !

Electrical demands ? Very minimal I think !

Well you had to bring it up, no you can't TOW.. and you must limit the amount of TOE you put in it to 1145#, or electrical demand could be high😎.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:00 AM

If they have a hitch available through the parts dept and there’s a listed charge for an install - THEN that might be acceptable. But nothing is available.

Does that make sense that a 6 banger would be allowed.... and a 5.7 or 6.4 would NOT BE?

New title alert for Doc!!! haha

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:06 AM

Beware tBoobies ! ... I’ll reVive that other post ! tsk grin

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:12 AM

That's from a rolling Stones song...You and Mick Jagger gots to be about the same age...

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:12 AM

I guess we ALL KNOW NOW what the preference is of the apimp from the northern frozen wasteland is ! laugh2

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:14 AM

Rock on Doc... hop
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:18 AM

backdoor.com

Seriously, enter at your own risk.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:27 AM

Oh my goodness... I’m oUta HERE !

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:41 AM

Got a date with a gal from the old folks home? boogie

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by tboomer

Got a date with a gal from the old folks home? boogie

DAMNit tBlooper ... I cant RESIST... rant laugh2

at least she’d be a chick and wealthy to boot T !

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 01:00 AM

Careful Doc..."She" may be bigger than you....You're kinda like Don Knotts...The Incredible Mr.Limpett.. whistling

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 01:04 AM

Don Knotts ? ... I guess you like em petite ! whistling
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 01:28 AM

There was a hitch available from Mopar back when I bought mine in 2010
It was for small stuff... maybe class I
V6 & 5.7 Auto only, but not 6.1

If you crawl under there and take a look exactly WTH would you attach it too? work
Not much in the way of solid metal in the last 2ft
Maybe people tore a few clean off the car and they stopped selling it. shruggy
SRT's weren't recommended for Towing.,,, not even the Jeeps. (Likely a liability thing)
Found this in the 2010 Challenger manual on towing.
TRAILER TOWING
Manual Transmission – If Equipped
Trailer towing with this vehicle is not recommended.

In this section, you will find safety tips and information
on limits to the type of towing you can reasonably do
with your vehicle. Before towing a trailer, carefully
review this information to tow your load as efficiently
and safely as possible.
To maintain warranty coverage, follow the requirements
and recommendations in this manual concerning vehicles
used for trailer towing.
Pages 320-332 deal with towing.... much of it generic & clearly not Challenger specific.
The text above & page below is... pic

Attached picture 2010 Challenger Towing.png

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 01:45 AM

Thx R .... I have not gotten a FLAT OUT no from anyone at the dealer ..,, but my last attempt on Friday to get a final yes or no was directed at the service manager ... all I got was HER voice mail ... explained my question and have yet to hear back.

So I’ll take that as a no
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 02:58 AM

I can just imagine how much adding a trailer on the back of that Challenger is going to freak out the computer brake system, and the traction control system, not to mention the structural capability of the rear of the car. Turbocharging and supercharging a motor creates power and heat at a different rate then towing a trailer requires. Even a small trailer adds a lot of extra heat to the drive train at a time high heat is already present. It tends to cook the supercharger,turbochargers, the exhaust, the transmission, and over loads the cooling system, the electrical system, and messes up the computer settings.

You might want to look at hitch manufacturers (Ridged, Drawtight, or Curtis) and see if any of them list a hitch for your car. That would at least tell you if the car has the structure to handle a hitch, and how big that hitch can be.

After that warranty will probably depend on the dealership, and what kind of warranty is needed. Generally, supercharged or turbo charged stuff doesn't fair well with towing. The power multipliers create a lot of heat, and towing (even light loads) adds extra heat at the wrong times. Even back in the 80s any turbocharged Mopar warranty was voided when a hitch was added.

that stated, if you add a hitch, and drive it like your towing a big trailer, everything will probably work out OK, but if you drive it hard like there is no trailer back there, your going to kill something on your car, and warranty probably won't cover it when they see the hitch. Gene

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 04:35 AM

Damn pb ... yur sure LONG WINDED !

This is a new Charger with a 6.4 and has MORE than enough STONES to pull a small trailer !

But I DO NOT want to void the warranty in any way.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 07:43 AM

What hasn't really been discussed is it may be a suspension reason why they don't want any trailer towing done.

Most newer cars with performance type suspension don't have the same suspension travel like older cars.

Adding any trailer behind a vehicle changes the way it handles, manufacturers don't want to take the risk of saying you can pull a trailer with anything less than a SUV or Truck.

Even at that, the performance versions of trucks aren't supposed to pull a trailer (Dakota R/T, Viper Ram Truck, SRT Grand Cherokee).

I put a receiver hitch on a 2000 Dakota R/T Extended Cab pickup and soon found out that it bottomed out the suspension with just the trailer behind it. Adding air bags helped, but it still wasn't an ideal setup handling wise.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 07:10 PM

Damn pb ... yur sure LONG WINDED !

This is a new Charger with a 6.4 and has MORE than enough STONES to pull a small trailer !

But I DO NOT want to void the warranty in any way.

It may have the grapes... but it doesn't have the room.

Like I said before... where is it going to mount?
There is not much in the way of a frame beyond the rear cradle, and with battery area & exhaust, little room.
And if you do manage to find something to attach to.. the exit point is going to be like only 5'-6' off the ground.
As mentioned above, there is very little suspension travel on these cars...
Any trailer tongue weight traveling downwards over bumps is going to hit a hard stop often...
So it better be mounted to frame, and not the trunk floor. whistling

Attached picture 18 Charger rear.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 07:21 PM

That's from a rolling Stones song...You and Mick Jagger gots to be about the same age...

Stones???. You may want to rethink that! The Lizard King and Company........ The Doors.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

Stones???. You may want to rethink that! The Lizard King and Company........ The Doors.

THIS ? ... from the gEeZeR band Xpert !!

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 08:29 PM

Thx to SNK shock ... and to R2 d2 .... very INFORMATIVE responses !
Posted By: qkRick

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 08:50 PM

Just checked with a friend of mine re: towing, He has a 2013 Challenger with Hemi and stick, Car has 130k miles due to frequent commute Akron to Columbus Ohio. He tows his full size Harley on a small trailer round trip from Akron Ohio to Daytona Beach Fla. a couple of times/ yr with no problems yet. Knowing him trip is unlikely to be at posted speed limit. I wouldn't do it myself but you can call me a wimp. Buddy of mine from school used to tow his duster to the track with his Roadrunner in early 70's.Some of you n.e. Ohio guys probably saw his combo at Dragway 42.
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 08:57 PM

There is a guy here from the Detroit area that pulls a snowmobile on a two place trailer.. There was a post on one of my snowmobile pages with a picture. The guy chimed in and says he does it all winter long. Kevin
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 03/31/20 09:31 PM

The wife and I use our 2020 Durango to haul but it has a tow package and a 8 speed auto trans
wave

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
The wife and I use our 2020 Durango to haul but it has a tow package and a 8 speed auto trans
wave

With a 5.7. ? .... was the hitch OEM ?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 02:33 AM

Yes with a 5.7 and the hitch is OEM
wave

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 03:22 AM

Yeah a 5.7 pickup is probably something I should get .. I do have some additional potential towing duties other than that small boat ...

The place I bought my Carrotvan at has an 06 club cab hemi reasonable..

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
wave

With a 5.7. ? .... was the hitch OEM ?

The Durango R/T only comes with the 5.7 and towing is an option, has been since the R/T came out in this generation. I looked at one a little while back and took it for a test drive and a super nice vehicle up

Here's an Durango R/T from a Dodge brochure towing an A12 (or B13?) Super Bee. (and a few more Durango's towing vintage and not so vintage Mopar Muscle.)

Attached picture Durango_with_A12_Bee_in_tow_x9.jpg
Attached picture dodge-durango-2014-red-1.jpg

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 03:35 AM

mopar part# 82213979ab fits 300, charger, challenger. Shows it fits 2019 challenger hellcat, 2016 charger hellcat. Frames are same thru 2020. There is a disclaimer to not exceed owner manual recommended weight limits. These cars do have rear frame rails up above the rear mufflers, you have to fish the bolts thru, no drilling. My son in law put one their 5.7 charger, long after warranty.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 03:37 AM

B-13 huh ? laugh2

Is there a Mopar tow rig with a standard 6.4 ?

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 04:02 AM

Only 3/4 ton rams have the 6.4 for towing, but it is not 485 hp, does still require the $$$oil and filter.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Only 3/4 ton rams have the 6.4 for towing, but it is not 485 hp, does still require the $$$oil and filter.

That’s why I put STANDARD ! ....what is the power rating ?

.... and $$$$ oil and filter??!

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 04:43 AM

A12 Road Runners and A12 Super Bees didn't have towing as an option but that didn't stop Vic Edelbrock from towing with an A12.........so Doc "Just Do It"........you're just towing a little stinking jet ski, that 6.4 won't even know it's there. If there's a warranty issue just tell them the hitch is for carrying your walker and your beer cooler and fishing gear not for towing wink They said that you couldn't tow with it, they didn't say that you couldn't put a HITCH on it for non-towing reasons did they? grin wink

Attached picture 000a Trailer w 6pk Bee and Dart on trailer.jpg
Attached picture prod_3547855002.jpg

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:00 AM

But B13 ... R2 did post that pic of the rear splash shield ..., you’d have poke a hole through it !

Walker you say ? ... for someone who HIDES their alleged age ... you probably picked up your NEW B13 car when your age and the speed limit MATCHED at 55 !

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:01 AM

410 hp, you must use pennzoil ultra platinum srt oil, and a mopar filter for your warranty. If the dealer changes your oil either bring the oil with you, or make them write, 7 qts pennzoil ultra platinum 0w-40 oil on the receipt, do not take the car until they do. Will be about $100. Srt, hellcats, 6.4 trucks, maybe others, thats the only approved oil.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:06 AM

Woooow .... eek

No one mentioned THIS until NOW ... thx !

What’s the need for this oil ... the MDS and what else ??

Where’s that oil commonly available?

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:19 AM

410 hp, you must use pennzoil ultra premium srt oil, and a mopar filter for your warranty. If the dealer chamges your oil either bring the oil with you, or make them write, 7 qts pennsoil ultra premium 0w-40 oil on the receipt, do not take the car until they do. Will be about $100. Srt, hellcats, 6.4 trucks, maybe others, thats the only approved oil.

Don't take this the wrong way but that "you must use.........for your warranty (paraphrase, "or void warranty") is BS by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If a manufacture makes it mandatory that you can only service your vehicle with their or specific products or void your warranty then they must supply those products (or services) FREE OF CHARGE. Yes they can make you use products that are of a specific specification but you the consumer can use any product (brand) that meets or exceeds those manufacture specification(s).

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:31 AM

But B13 ... R2 did post that pic of the rear splash shield ..., you’d have poke a hole through it !

Walker you say ? ... for someone who HIDES their alleged age ... you probably picked up your NEW B13 car when your age and the speed limit MATCHED at 55 !

Well Doc you may have me there blush............................I might even be older than you blush blush blush I ordered my first car NEW when I was 18 (&-3/4) so yeah I'm 46 years old in a couple of lies I mean months if I'm figuring that correctly........tough to do the math at this age as you well know wink grin

Attached picture My_69_road_runner_circa_1969 00A.jpg

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:39 AM

Doc that's even better for hiding the fact that you have a hitch (note the deletion of the word "trailer" wink ) Would be very easy to make a removable cap to cover that small square hole. The factory puts covers over a lot of their vehicles to hide the hitches. It's a no brainer IMO to put your hitch on YOUR car.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by A12

410 hp, you must use pennzoil ultra premium srt oil, and a mopar filter for your warranty. If the dealer chamges your oil either bring the oil with you, or make them write, 7 qts pennsoil ultra premium 0w-40 oil on the receipt, do not take the car until they do. Will be about $100. Srt, hellcats, 6.4 trucks, maybe others, thats the only approved oil.

Don't take this the wrong way but that "you must use.........for your warranty (paraphrase, "or void warranty") is BS by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If a manufacture makes it mandatory that you can only service your vehicle with their or specific products or void your warranty then they must supply those products (or services) FREE OF CHARGE. Yes they can make you use products that are of a specific specification but you the consumer can use any product (brand) that meets or exceeds those manufacture specification(s).

Ok, last I heard no other oil company has an oil that meets those exact specs.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:43 AM

So the reason for this specific oil is ?

And if this oil is not available other than at a Mopar dealer and a comparable oil isn’t available in the open market ....

It’s FREE from FCA ??!!

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 05:47 AM

Man IS THIS a helleva SPIN OFF off a hitch topic !

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 06:11 AM

So the reason for this specific oil is ?

And if this oil is not available other than at a Mopar dealer and a comparable oil isn’t available in the open market ....

It’s FREE from FCA ??!!

Amazon $80 with filter shipped to your door, and it looks like amsoil has finally had theirs approved also, so no free oil.

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 06:13 AM

Man IS THIS a helleva SPIN OFF off a hitch topic !

Okay Doc back to the hitch and with a 6.4 Hemi..........it is available again in 2020 on a Durango SR/T with a 6.4 and a factory option.......as for a cover for your car the one on the back of this SR/T would work and it may be available over the counter in your car's color too?

Attached picture irisa.jpg
Attached picture iris453RNS61.jpg
Attached picture iris.jpg
Attached picture Durango 2017 RT 5.jpg

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 03:08 PM

I’m here B13 !

NOT that I suspect something is wrong with the car ... but laying out almost 40 large on a new car and then taking a chance on killing a decent warranty over something like this that won’t be used much is giving me second thoughts.

I got an email from a member that said if there’s a warranty claim on something like any type of drive train item and FCA can reverse it ... they will ! ... that’s scary! That 8 speed trans is no simple 727 !!

Re: Anyone TOW with a late model Charger/Challenger ? - 04/01/20 07:04 PM

I’m here B13 !

NOT that I suspect something is wrong with the car ... but laying out almost 40 large on a new car and then taking a chance on killing a decent warranty over something like this that won’t be used much is giving me second thoughts.

I got an email from a member that said if there’s a warranty claim on something like any type of drive train item and FCA can reverse it ... they will ! ... that’s scary! That 8 speed trans is no simple 727 !!

That's pretty much a fact... just check all the modern car forums.

I'm pretty sure we lost our motor warranty the very 1st year...
We bought the car in may or june... wife drove it a little, then I got sick again. So we put the car in the garage, and didn't pull it out again until the following april... with only a few thousand miles on it. I got the oil changed soon after we pulled it out of the garage in 2019... but it was over a year.

Apparently it says in the manual that the oil MUST be changed every 6000miles OR 6-months whichever comes 1st. (392/Hellcat) And guys like me, who store fun cars all winter are already being denied (fighting it) because they didn't change it every 6-months Even if it was only driven 5miles to get to and from the dealer during those 6months.... flame

It's Horse___ ....
But the way they roll these days... once everything is forwarded up the ladder to Corp.
© 2024 Moparts Forums