Moparts

Shipping a car to Canada NOW?

Posted By: Pale_Roader

Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/22/20 09:53 AM

Probably a stupid question at this point...

I have a car sitting in Washington state, and as things go, i FINALLY have the means to get it home. Is this still possible? Closed borders, yes, but how closed? Can a business professional (tow truck company, or car shipper) still get a car through? I would wait, but unfortunately, this is a short money window for me (funds will be eaten up if i wait), and... with this lockdown... well... i could really use a car to work on.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/22/20 10:55 AM

Make three calls:

1. US Border point you're planning on using.
2. Canadian Border point you're planning on using.
3. Business Professional of your choice.

See what they all say and come up with a plan.

Mike.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/22/20 11:38 AM

Commerce is not stopping. Trucking industry is still crossing. However, not sure how the Canadian Customs would categorize this one. I would guess if you hired a company, it's commercial and can cross. But like said above, call all 3 places to make sure.

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/22/20 01:03 PM

Yeah... i mean, technically... its not a need, but i'm going to have a lot ov time on my hands here, and... well, if things get really bad, i can always sell it. Thats how i make money. So it could technically be categorized under business. If it helped, i could just tell them this is my business, buying and selling cars... so that is commerce... or even that its a customer's car i'm building.

But yeah... calls, and more calls probably...
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/22/20 07:38 PM

Careful . . .you might get tax man after you - saying it's commercial. . . you know CRA wants their $$$$ !!! . . . . just saying

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/23/20 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by a12rag
Careful . . .you might get tax man after you - saying it's commercial. . . you know CRA wants their $$$$ !!! . . . . just saying

I thought ov that. Wouldn't shock me. I'll just tell them i ended up driving it (which is the plan).

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/23/20 09:38 AM

I would call all 3 places and tell them the truth first. Not worth getting the vehicle seized or a fine for getting caught in a lie. I'm guessing they are looking over paperwork a bit more now that it's only essential traffic crossing.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/23/20 12:53 PM

Saying it's commercial might end up with them wanting to see your dealer license info etc... at the border. You'd be better off to tell the truth that shipping was already being worked out prior to border closing and you want to know how to go about getting it across. The company moving it for you might also know or should find out on their own so they don't just dump it there when they have problems.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/23/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
Saying it's commercial might end up with them wanting to see your dealer license info etc... at the border. You'd be better off to tell the truth that shipping was already being worked out prior to border closing and you want to know how to go about getting it across. The company moving it for you might also know or should find out on their own so they don't just dump it there when they have problems.

X2 !

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/25/20 09:46 AM

Well now suddenly, i'm 2-3 more weeks away from being able to do this. Maybe it'll still be viable, maybe worse. Trump just said it will be BETTER in 3 weeks! Hahahahaha.

Just wish i had it here. Could really use an excuse to get up early and work out in the driveway through all this virus [censored].

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/25/20 09:52 AM

Have you contacted CBSA and CBP to see if it can cross as a commercial shipment? If so, then call a company to ship it. Commercial traffic is still crossing.

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/26/20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
Have you contacted CBSA and CBP to see if it can cross as a commercial shipment? If so, then call a company to ship it. Commercial traffic is still crossing.

When it is time, i'll do that yeah. I'm not going to try and pull anything... WAY too much bullsh!t if it goes sideways. Hoping... that because i'm just outright paying a shipper to do it, that they might let it through.

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/27/20 10:26 AM

I would guess they would as it would be commercial then and they are allowing commercial traffic to cross.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/27/20 10:25 PM

When I brought 3 cars up, customs checked to make sure the pricing was not bs as well.

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/30/20 09:21 AM

When was this?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 03/30/20 04:49 PM

back in 2008.

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 04/02/20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Superfreak
back in 2008.

Heh... so an entirely different WORLD ago.... Hahaha
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 04/02/20 03:04 PM

Im sure they still do it. To many people scamming them to cut down on taxes and duty. Just like buying a used car and having to prove the value.
Posted By: rocksmopar

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 04/03/20 12:37 PM

Pay a transport company to do it. It is a really horrible process if you try to do it yourself.

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 04/04/20 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by rocksmopar

Pay a transport company to do it. It is a really horrible process if you try to do it yourself.

Dude... ANYTHING to do with crossing that border is a dumpster fire. And that was before this virus mess. I'll pay the company just to not have to deal with it... its just a matter ov finding a good one. Did a few quick searches in Vancouver/Fraser Valley area... tons ov companies, all kinds ov different sites, no simple information. Guess i'm making a hundred calls...
Posted By: Onetorun

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 04/09/20 02:05 AM

Yeah it’s a big pain in the %#@$ to do it now, I’ve done it in the past no problem. Pretty much need a broker to do it, they’ll do paperwork and arrange transport for you.
Deal with Rich Woods and the guys at Darby Motorsports in Delta, they specialize in it , as well buy/sell lots of collector cars both sides of the border.
Another thing ,if bringing a car from US,you will need to get BC government vehicle inspection done even to get car transferred into your name, with out it no go. I’m going thru it now with a car (‘66 Chevy II, yeah yeah I know) I bought out of Washington before Christmas, won’t pass inspection (car was a running box off parts) and I can’t get it in my name, I’ve dealt with the insurance guys, and Icbc head office, collector car division etc on it.

Re: Shipping a car to Canada NOW? - 04/14/20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Onetorun
Yeah it’s a big pain in the %#@$ to do it now, I’ve done it in the past no problem. Pretty much need a broker to do it, they’ll do paperwork and arrange transport for you.
Deal with Rich Woods and the guys at Darby Motorsports in Delta, they specialize in it , as well buy/sell lots of collector cars both sides of the border.
Another thing ,if bringing a car from US,you will need to get BC government vehicle inspection done even to get car transferred into your name, with out it no go. I’m going thru it now with a car (‘66 Chevy II, yeah yeah I know) I bought out of Washington before Christmas, won’t pass inspection (car was a running box off parts) and I can’t get it in my name, I’ve dealt with the insurance guys, and Icbc head office, collector car division etc on it.

Thanks, i'll give them a call. Actually, just found them on FB... even easier.

That inspection sh!t is utter bullsh!t. I've heard ov that before. So basically... i have to completely build the car, invest a few thousand in it (others investing a few tens ov thousand probably) and its STILL not your car yet? Mine is together, mostly, but its RATTY. And its staying ratty. I'm gutting it and building a road race car with plates. Its going to be BARE. If i lived in the Southern States, i swear this thing wouldn't even get glass. So inspection is going to be the mother ov all headaches. I'm probably just going to end up re-vinning the thing. Its not worth anything, it'll never be worth anything, and i'll never sell it, so why not. Used to do that before with my Buicks. Cops used to hand out inspection notices to anything old and loud here like parking tickets... Only problem is finding a good clean BC vin on a car this rare is going to be an even bigger headache...
© 2024 Moparts Forums