Moparts

This is what a Police car SHOULD look like

Posted By: larrymopar360

This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/03/20 11:37 PM

Not a four or six cylinder SUV or even a bloated 5500 pound one with V8 and terrible handling and braking. Granted, not a lot of trunk room in these, but let the supervisors carry most equipment in SUV. twocents

Attached picture s-l1600.jpg
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/03/20 11:46 PM

Now that's cool. up
Posted By: topside

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 12:07 AM

Looks cool, sure, but hard to ID when it's behind you... whistling

Maybe it's just me, but there's something about push-bars that sends an ominous, don't-mess-with-this message.
That's a quality the old CHP Polaras had in spades; kinda like "I can chase you down and punt you off"...
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 12:19 AM

You sure is the way they supposed to look. And a lot better then the other options out there. Well I guess Charger is the only one when it comes to cars now.
Not to sound negative but I still like the11-14s better drool I do like how those ones have the marker lights more hidden as part of the wheel wells.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 02:12 AM

Looks cool but I think they should stop using the charger as a cop car and fleet car in general, its trying to be too many things and I think its design could be really awesome if it was just left as a 4dr coupe. For the fleet/cop car slap a generic Dodge front end on the 300, call it the interceptor and use it instead.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by 4263rdGen
Looks cool but I think they should stop using the charger as a cop car and fleet car in general, its trying to be too many things and I think its design could be really awesome if it was just left as a 4dr coupe. For the fleet/cop car slap a generic Dodge front end on the 300, call it the interceptor and use it instead.

Although they probably don't make as much on fleet sale (cop cars) it helps the overall profitability of the product.

You build more and the overall cost to build is cheaper so it benefits the company.

It puts more of them out there and helps the secondary parts market too, it's far more worthwhile to make replacement parts for more popular cars.
Posted By: RangerDan440

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 02:52 AM

I like mine
Granted, not a lot of trunk room in these, but let the supervisors carry most equipment in SUV. twocents

doesnt always work that way but the trunk is pretty big for a modern sedan

Attached picture IMG_20190417_080954539.jpg
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ

Although they probably don't make as much on fleet sale (cop cars) it helps the overall profitability of the product.

You build more and the overall cost to build is cheaper so it benefits the company.

It puts more of them out there and helps the secondary parts market too, it's far more worthwhile to make replacement parts for more popular cars.

I hear you loud and clear but they have to design it for cop use, ease of getting in and out with full gear on, ease of getting bad guys in and out of the back etc. This is a car that is mainly cross shopped against the challenger, camaro and mustang - let it be a true charger and design it that way. They have the 300 about to be killed off anyway, they could put a dodge front clip on it and use it only for cop/fleet like GM did with the caprice PPV.
Posted By: srt

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 04:24 AM

My first car was a ex cop 383 belvedere. The trunk was big enough to bring in 4 folding chairs and 4 friends on buck night at the drive-in. The girls rode up front with me.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 05:17 AM

If all cop cars looked like that, i would love it. I could spot that thing 1/2 mile back in my rearview, and slow down
Posted By: rocksmopar

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 01:50 PM

Looks great but the Exploders have the interior room which is much needed with all the additional accessories... shruggy
Posted By: bigdad

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 01:59 PM

I like this version

[Linked Image]

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/columns/robs-car-movie-review-the-california-kid-1974/

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 06:25 PM

McLovin, the complaint at my agency has been trunk room, especially with the full size spare, that's why I brought that up. Especially from the oldies that drove Crown Vics.

Here is my '14 with trunk empty. It makes up for smaller trunk space in so many other ways.

Attached picture 2014Trunk.jpg
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 06:30 PM

We have em around us,and yes they look like a police car to me.And they come in a few different colors.I can usually tell the charger police cars,well i can usually tell most police cars..lol Don't ask why drive
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 07:38 PM

I have a fleet of them. We buy the AWD hemi pursuits for mid-20's and anyone with a badge can buy one at the same cost. the AWD hemi is discontinued this year. We are moving more toward Durangos now. Mopar is going to struggle to keep up with demand, as it is the only sedan police option now.

Mopar is hard to beat with their fleet program. I don't understand how agencies are getting past their fiscal bodies (council and commission) to spend the extra bucks on a Tahoe or whatever that said thing is Ford offers. By the time you buy five Tahoe's you can have six Durangos with same performance; and room and better ride comfort.

I keep thinking or ordering a low production paint blue Charger pursuit to replace my Durango.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Not a four or six cylinder SUV or even a bloated 5500 pound one with V8 and terrible handling and braking. Granted, not a lot of trunk room in these, but let the supervisors carry most equipment in SUV. twocents

That looks pretty sweet in silver and black with the window tint and all....
Posted By: BIGGERED

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 09:33 PM

McLovin, the complaint at my agency has been trunk room, especially with the full size spare, that's why I brought that up. Especially from the oldies that drove Crown Vics.

Here is my '14 with trunk empty. It makes up for smaller trunk space in so many other ways.

Remove this spare and you and a friend might fit inside.
No complaints from me on the size of the trunk in the 2016 SXT we have but I am not even sure if it has a spare or the junk pump and slime.

TY
Red
Posted By: Neil

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/04/20 09:48 PM

Police here use GM suv's or Chargers.

I've tried to warm up to the styling of the new Chargers, but so far it's not happening.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 01:11 AM

I hear you loud and clear but they have to design it for cop use, ease of getting in and out with full gear on, ease of getting bad guys in and out of the back etc. This is a car that is mainly cross shopped against the challenger, camaro and mustang - let it be a true charger and design it that way. They have the 300 about to be killed off anyway, they could put a dodge front clip on it and use it only for cop/fleet like GM did with the caprice PPV.

There's not enough market with police sales only to give them a unique car like that. It's an advantage to the Charger to have police and fleet use because if general sales of it aren't what Chrsyler wants to see it's the other uses that help boost it and keep interest in the car just like it has for other 4 door cars for decades.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 02:00 AM

A quick q on the Charger ....

How does the police version differ from the RT - other than trim ?

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
A quick q on the Charger ....

How does the police version differ from the RT - other than trim ?

coolers, silicone hoses, HD alternator, column shifter, basic taxicab interior, a wiring package for the radios and lights, I think a reinforced roof and I think they have the SRT brakes. Theres some cool officer safety security warning stuff built into the UConnect which is cool

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 02:19 AM

We removed the tires just for that reason and leave them at the office. That is the most asinine spot to put a spare tire and we carry enough gear to completely fill the trunk. If we get stuck on the road, we can either call roadside assistance or have one of the other guys bring a tire out to us

btw, Im now an 'oldie' that drove Crown Vics, I dont miss them. The only thing I miss is the sound of their wheezy 4.6s that let me know backup was on the way
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 02:22 AM

I liked these better, and the pos caprice classics, then the newer lt1? CC that still couldnt catch a grand national.

You can still outrun the new chargers, you just got to out drive its driver. Last fall a unmarked trooper out drove his and ended up on his roof in a cornfield.

Anyone see the youtube vid of the rookie training someone and flipped a U and went 145 to catch a speeder and was too stupid to pull it off the grass and let his cruiser burn up?

Not cop bashing so relax, my point is some should fly bi planes and some space shuttles.

In the mid 80-s in our street race group had a trooper that would come race his 5.0 Mustang. Didnt do well. Tried to pull one of the group over one night, no respect for a dirty cop, none of us stopped.

I like the pic at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9feVp0RZvQ

Attached picture s-l5000kij - Copy.jpg
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 04:01 AM

His cat was so hot, it ignited the grass. He should have just moved over to the other side where the shoulder was paved. THat guy had zero common sense. ozbbq

Good day for the speeder!!! boogie

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
His cat was so hot, it ignited the grass. He should have just moved over to the other side where the shoulder was paved. THat guy had zero common sense. ozbbq

Good day for the speeder!!! boogie

X 99 .,,, I wonder if that apimp is going to be disciplined for being a dumb azz ? spank
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 04:50 AM

Better yet ,take your choice! twocents

Attached picture download.jpg
Attached picture PA SP.jpg

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by 62maxwgn

Better yet ,take your choice! twocents

Nahhhh ...his top end WAS unlimited !

Attached picture 9D3CB553-FC88-4AAA-8A36-7090012E3C8B.png
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 04:58 AM

Red and/or Blue: that's what all should be painted.

But they want to blend in with the "crowd".

So devious of them.
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 12:25 PM

"We removed the tires just for that reason and leave them at the office. That is the most asinine spot to put a spare tire and we carry enough gear to completely fill the trunk. If we get stuck on the road, we can either call roadside assistance or have one of the other guys bring a tire out to us

btw, Im now an 'oldie' that drove Crown Vics, I dont miss them. The only thing I miss is the sound of their wheezy 4.6s that let me know backup was on the way"

I'm an Oldie as well, I guess its about the location you work in, Cleveland isn't the biggest city but it has 3 out of the four seasons Snow and Rain and POTHOLE the Crown Vic was great for us You couldn't beat the reliability.
In 2010 we got Chargers with V6 engines and they were beyond wheezy trying to carry the extra weight of a police package the seats were garbage also they Broke in the Upright position, fast forward we get Taurus's and Explorer's with awd. They are good cars but ford dropped the Taurus so we bought the 2020 AWD Hemi Chargers .. OMG these things are FAST!!!!! I hope they hold better than the earlier versions

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 05:36 PM

Taurus here are rusting very quickly. Hoods and roofs, and even worse, large crash bar just behind grill. Unacceptable. Oh well, they are gone. Same rust issue as far as hood and roof on the Ford Suv though. Not sure about crash bar. Haven't seen.

The Pentastar V6 is every bit as fast as the Ford 4.6 was. The numbers show this to be the fact. Just look at Michigan State Police testing. Even the 3.5 prior hung right in with the 4.6. Look it up.

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 05:45 PM

Idiot motorists who don't bare right for emergency vehicles as the law states. And, this driver practically locks the brakes instead of gradually pulling over.

Yes, the Trooper should have moved to pavement. Hard lesson learned, but he had his safety on his mind at the same time, and cars flying by at 70 mph while trying to watch the driver of the vehicle in front, so give him a break. Hard lesson learned.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/05/20 10:55 PM

When I seen this vid long ago I did look it up and it was stated he received further training.

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/06/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
When I seen this vid long ago I did look it up and it was stated he received further training.
"Yes, the Trooper should have moved to pavement"

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/06/20 04:42 PM

My old '10 with a 5.7. I loved this car.

Attached picture MSPD2.jpg
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/06/20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by McLovin

We removed the tires just for that reason and leave them at the office. That is the most asinine spot to put a spare tire and we carry enough gear to completely fill the trunk. If we get stuck on the road, we can either call roadside assistance or have one of the other guys bring a tire out to us

btw, Im now an 'oldie' that drove Crown Vics, I dont miss them. The only thing I miss is the sound of their wheezy 4.6s that let me know backup was on the way

My county commissioners is looking at CNG or propane for my cars. The truck space is an issue. Their solution- get Durangos instead of Chargers. I am trying to get to Tennessee soon to check out the units and see what they think of them. Difference is. we have assigned cars and that agency uses a fleet system where equipment in the trunk is minimal.

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/06/20 06:13 PM

The Durangos are roomy but too slow with the 3.6 because of the weight. Expensive with the 5.7.

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/07/20 04:36 AM

That ozbbq FHP car ..... how much did that cost ?
Posted By: basketcase

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/07/20 04:37 AM

Attached picture PTDC0128.JPG
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/11/20 04:58 PM

I recently saw a midnight blue Charger, that had a speeder pulled over, just like the one the OP posted in this thread, except for the color it was the same car.
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: This is what a Police car SHOULD look like - 03/12/20 03:11 PM

I remember when the cops on "Grimm" started driving the midnight blue Chargers with black wheels. That thing just screamed evil. The black wheels reminded me of a muscle car with steelies.

Can the general public buy a police model Charger?
© 2024 Moparts Forums