Moparts

How long does your battery last?

Posted By: calmopar

How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 05:14 AM

I think mine has had it. Won't hold a charge very long. I checked, and I got it 9-10 years ago. Not bad I am thinking. It was listed as an 84 month battery FWIW.

How long do you expect a battery to last?
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 11:05 AM

Hard to say there are so many factors that contribute to the life of a battery, charging system , temperature , use are just a few. I had one last 10 years !
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 11:08 AM

I have an auto repair shop for 33 years. Average seems around 5 to 6 years. Longest I have seen was 13 years. Just what I have seen....
Posted By: RangerDan440

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 11:51 AM

I bought my '04 Ram new in Oct 2003 and it still has the original battery
Posted By: therocks

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 12:02 PM

My son bought his Ram in 04 and his brother replaced the battery 2 years ago.The 12 Joyurney had it replaced this year.Was still ok but a little weak.Didnt want the wife to have problems.My 65s lasted about 10 years.Rocky
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 12:06 PM

Car batteries 4-10 years. I have a 2000 JD lawn tractor and a 2006 Kubota tractor that have the original batteries.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 12:10 PM

got my road runner in 2007 and bought a battery for it then. Replaced it last year, but I know I coulda got another year out of it.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 12:52 PM

in the winters or Wisconsin a battery lasts about 4-6 years on someone important to you daily drivers that sit outside. that's on modern cars with a lot of electronics that always seem to have a really small electric drain. if you let them get completely dead that seems to shorten it's life.

they usually last longer, but after 6 years you start to roll the dice.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 01:23 PM

Usually 4 to 5 years for a parts store battery. Just replaced the one in my cuda last weekend...old one was bought in 2015.
The original factory car batteries seem to last a long time.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 03:09 PM

4 -5 years is what I see in most cars..I bought this extreme charger that will desulfate the battery plates..it has worked on several batteries for me and they have held up nice..even my lawn tractor battery that I would charge up regularly with a battery charger, hold the charge only for a few days..I used the extreme once and it held on for 2 years so far and every year I charge my Cudas with this charger..well worth the money.
https://youtu.be/M-sCdj__MgM
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 03:11 PM

Two reproduction batteries in this since 1992,one wet cell other lead acid, and that isn't BS either !! no

Attached picture Picture 321.jpg
Posted By: a12rag

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 04:17 PM

Generally it is HEAT and vibration that kill batteries, more than cold . . . . I still have original batteries in my 2002 Cummins, my 04 Xfire, 06 Magnum . . . but I have a battery tender on them when I am not driving them, and because I can get the caps off the cells, I ensure that the cells are topped up with distilled water ! Almost 20 years on the batteries in my truck !! WOW . . . test ok still ! . . . but then I don't drive the truck or Xfire in the winter . . .and the Magnum does see minus 20 F weather and such . . . maintaining the battery goes LONG way to their lfie/health ! . . . the Optima in my 70 Satellite is now 10yrs old, still all good too - yup battery maintainer on it too . . .
Posted By: therocks

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 05:34 PM

My old Allis Chalmers garden tractor took the old style Ford battery.It was in there for probally 15 years minimum.Still started it great.Oh yeah had a cheap Az batt in the quad.It was at least 10 years old and still was going pretty good.My youngest replaced it even though it still was good.Rocky
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 05:57 PM

When I lived in Tennessee 10 years was not un heard of and the record I personaly saw was 17 years (factory GM), the factory GM batteries seemed to last the longest and the factory mopar ones were terrible, I worked at the dodge dealer and it was very common to replace 2 year old batteries.

Now in montana where it gets a lot colder none of them seem to last very long, oddly enough the factory mopar ones seem to be ok for a few years. If we get a car in now with a 4-5 year old battery it is often suspect in hard start conditions like -20* weather.

I think the battery life would probably be the same butt it takes a lot more to start a very cold -20* engine than a 40* engine so even though the battery might not actually be any worse it just seems worse because your car won't start.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 05:58 PM

I've always got long lives out of my cars batteries, therefore I was surprised last summer when my 2014 Dart's battery went bad almost 5 years to the day after I bought the car.
My 2009 Challenger still has its original battery, however I probably have pushed it to far with that one. I was seeing signs it was getting weak last fall and should have replaced it before I stored the car for winter in early December. spank I'm pretty sure if I tried to start the car I'd find it's DOA now. I will get a new battery for it next month before I go to start it for the season.
I had a Walmart battery in my convertible that might have been close to 15 years old when it finally needed replacement. That car probably gets driven 500-750 miles a year, is garaged, but unheated garage with no battery tender.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 10:50 PM

I had an Optima red top, one of the ones before they started making them in Mexico, last 16 years...
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/25/20 11:51 PM

Batteries don't last down here in Florida. If you get 3 or 4 years out of one you got your monies worth.
Posted By: jcruse64

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/26/20 12:42 AM

I've had 7+ on a Dodge Durango '02 model and a '95 Ram. 5 is usually tops for parts store replacements I just replaced the nearly 5 year old one on the '73 truck, but I have driven it little and don't keep it on a tender like I should. On my '10 TDI Jetta, I'm on well onto my 3rd battery now; it goes through them.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/26/20 01:10 AM

I've been getting about 4 years out of most batteries lately of various brands. Motorcraft, Interstate.. etc. Right now I've got a couple batteries from a local chain in my cars that don't go far and Walmart batteries in the stuff that does get driven since there is usually a Walmart to get to if they die early on a trip. I've given up on Costco batteries, I haven't had any of those last more then a year. Years ago I ran Delcos because they always lasted 10+ years, that all changed and never got back to being that good.

I haven't had much luck with garden tractor batteries. Probably because my stuff sits for a couple weeks between use and only needed 4 1/2 months or so of the year.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/28/20 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by McLovin
I bought my '04 Ram new in Oct 2003 and it still has the original battery

About the same here Dan. I bought my 04 Dodge diesel in Oct of 2003.....and didn't have to put batteries in it until Jan of 2019! They must have had a good run of Mopar batterie that year! up
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/28/20 02:59 AM

My dailies seem to go about ten years. I bought a correct repop. for my bee and got ten out of that. Still working but I don’t trust it anymore. I use it for shows now.
KID
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/28/20 08:35 PM

Oh man, you guys jinxed me. I had to replace my 5 yr old Mopar battery in my truck this morning.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/28/20 10:00 PM

The newer cars with all their electronic stuff seem to go through batteries every 3 or 4 years.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/29/20 12:00 AM

My wife and I have 2015 vehicles and she got her 200 used only 6 months old and it had a new battery! That lasted 2 years and it went dead. Replaced it with an Exide and it lasted 2 years, just replaced it again a couple months ago! My 2500 Ram the original battery was replaced late last year also, all batteries are junk nowadays. My wife's 76 Colt had it's battery for 10 years and it was still working when we replaced it, her 85 Shelby Charger battery lasted 9 years...
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: How long does your battery last? - 02/29/20 07:41 PM

The battery in my 2017 ram 1500 went bad after only two years. The 6 volt batteries in my 49 Plymouth generally last 10 years or more. My little garden tractor batteries usually last 2 years. Deep cycle batteries in my RV usually last three or four years. They get abused with deep discharges and not always fully recharged before discharging again.12 volt car batteries for me have normally lasted four to six years. The lithium-ion battery in my race car is to new to know. Hopefully 10 years
Posted By: topside

Re: How long does your battery last? - 03/01/20 02:36 AM

I get a minimum of 7 years out of mine, sometimes 10 years.
Half of my stuff is older, no computers or memories to keep running; the other half have memories and/or computers.
Every car has a battery tender on it except the '96 Breeze, which gets run almost every day.
The battery in my '93 Pathfinder was almost 11 years old, just happened to notice the date tag and replaced it just to cover my butt.
I have a restoration battery that's a bit weak - it'll charge, then drop to 12.25V after a couple weeks sitting disconnected - but the PO let a cell get pretty dry.
Optimas I've had went 10 years easily.
© 2024 Moparts Forums