Moparts

Computer Security

Posted By: nd65

Computer Security - 02/24/20 03:08 PM

Hey All,

Curious as to what free security everyone uses on their computer?

Thanks,
nd65
nd.neal@gmail.com
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Computer Security - 02/24/20 05:19 PM

Common sense is probably the best one. Next to that Windows Defender.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Computer Security - 02/25/20 12:05 AM

I have common sense... and Linux Mint with firewall up
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Computer Security - 02/25/20 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by DrCharles
I have common sense... and Linux Mint with firewall up

This^^^ but if you have to run Windows I agree with Defender. Have it on the wife's laptop and it seems to work good.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Computer Security - 02/25/20 02:37 AM

avast is what I use.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Computer Security - 02/25/20 12:30 PM

I use Malwarebytes, I have used the free version in the past but a while back I had the opportunity to purchase a lifetime subscription for several computers.

I also use an eero mesh system for WiFi and hardwired network connections. I subscribe to an additional layer of security via those devices.

Computer security is best when applied in layers, the more the better.
Posted By: nd65

Re: Computer Security - 02/25/20 03:14 PM

Thanks everyone.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Computer Security - 02/25/20 04:48 PM

Air Gap,

meaning no computer is ever online or connected that is important, and only a Chromebook when online.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Computer Security - 02/25/20 06:41 PM

Free computer security is worth what you pay for it. Also, don't post your email address in plain text on a forum that is viewable by anyone. Makes you a great target for phishing emails, which is probably the biggest threat to computer security these days.
Posted By: A12

Re: Computer Security - 02/27/20 02:20 AM

A friend and long time computer (business) wizard mentioned something today about a browser that he feels has the best internet security and he said may be the way of the internet future. Haven't looked into it yet as we had to cut the conversation short today. He said something like or about "Brave . (dot) com" Anyone know anything about this browser?

Mike
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Computer Security - 02/27/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by A12
A friend and long time computer (business) wizard mention something today about a browser that he feels has the best internet security and he said may be the way of the internet future. Haven't looked into it yet as we had to cut the conversation short today. He said something like or about "Brave . (dot) com" Anyone know anything about this browser?

Mike

I do, it's from the former CEO of Mozilla, (firefox browser) and is chromium based. FWIW, Microsoft's new Edge browser is also chromium based as of a month or two ago.

As to desktop security, I'm trying out an old corporate favorite in their home version, Sophos home. A recent review / test:

I'm not really interested in being techie anymore, just want something automatic that works and keeps the PC's safe. I no longer have faith in Avast so need something different.
© 2024 Moparts Forums