Moparts

Chinese copies

Posted By: DrCharles

Chinese copies - 02/22/20 06:46 PM

How 'bout this: Holley "style" carb

Selling like hotcakes, but the reviews so far are not impressive... I think it'd probably be simpler just to set ten $20's on fire! whistling
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 07:21 PM

...and your car along with it I’d think...
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 08:27 PM

My blunt opinion of Chinese counterfeit & rip-off parts, tools, etc, and the "business people" (scabs & bottom feeders) in this country that create and cause all of this trash to be made, will have to remain unsaid, lest I be banned.

Suffice to say, none of it comes into my shop and the people who have a positive opinion of it have their judgement questioned.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 08:40 PM

Saw this one the other day and was surprised they go through all the effort of tooling and manufacturing but it is the common 2bbl and probably selling a bunch of them.
Twilight Garage 2 Barrel Carburetor Carb MB-172-HCY For Dodge Chrysler 318 Engine Carter BBD Lowtop V8 5.2L 1967-1980 (Manual Choke) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7FNM62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CczuEbFRJXQQD
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 08:55 PM

If its a new item and is bad, its very evil. If its a good product its embraced over time.

Our off shore cranks, rods, all the guys now with there cnc company logo, all the oem pistons made outside.

Gotta find a balance and not a selective one imo.

Cant get into our dependency on china on so many other fronts. Well maybe like electronics and what I find real spooky is the amount of the meds some take come from china,

I think they could really put the hurt on is in some ways.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by DrCharles

Selling like hotcakes, but the reviews so far are not impressive

Source of reviews?
Posted By: topside

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 10:37 PM

It would be interesting to know - from someone knowledgeable, like Thumperdart, for example - how well or poorly that carb works.
That said, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

As far as cheap Chinese goods, how many times do we see: "What's the cheapest XXXX ?" Another example: the size & profitability of WalMart...
Bottom line is we pretty much have ourselves as a society to blame, with the caveat that prices for goods have outpaced wages, which is in a way a vicious circle.
Cheap offshore stuff = shrinking domestic production = weaker domestic wages = opportunity for cut-rate goods (and services).
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by topside

As far as cheap Chinese goods, how many times do we see: "What's the cheapest XXXX ?" Another example: the size & profitability of WalMart...
Bottom line is we pretty much have ourselves as a society to blame, with the caveat that prices for goods have outpaced wages, which is in a way a vicious circle.
Cheap offshore stuff = shrinking domestic production = weaker domestic wages = opportunity for cut-rate goods (and services).

Ding ding ding , give this man a cigar

Ive always said,
You want Cheap , Fast , Right.

Pick 1 you cant have all 3
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 10:43 PM

In 2005 i bought a brand new commercial edger 700 bucks. It was not cheap so had to fix it.

Fast forward to now needed a carb that cost 120 plus ship.
Amazon had a,China copy 15 bucks shipped hey it was 9 to ship a Briggs by it self. And Amazon had free returns.
So no real gamble
It was here in 2 days and works 100 percent
i have no idea how they can make them that cheap.
When you cut the pic up. Shipped the USA, add on $ for a middle man, and The retailer (Amazon) who included ship to end user at 15 bucks and they all made Money?

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 10:45 PM

That carburetor is chump change. Anyone who is paying attention to China has some idea (just some) of what it is doing, what it has its hands in and what it is building up to be able to do. They are not our friends.

But I needs my cheap crap.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Chinese copies - 02/22/20 11:50 PM

Very scary part is a majority of our medications are made there. That needs to STOP NOW! Think about all the scenarios.....
Posted By: topside

Re: Chinese copies - 02/23/20 12:40 AM

^^^ you don't have to think too hard: poisonous paint on childrens' toys, poisonous dog food, and now Corona Virus...

Add in the industrial spying, military members posing as researchers, currency manipulation, copyright infringement, theft of intellectual and design property...
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Chinese copies - 02/23/20 12:43 AM

Both legal and illegal.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Chinese copies - 02/23/20 12:53 AM

I noticed that the picture on the box looks a lot more like a holley than the one pictured in the listing whistling down stirthepot twocents
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Chinese copies - 02/23/20 03:38 AM

when I go to swap meets I always look for carbs. there's always gobs of them. most butchered. were all those carbs bad and need modified or was there a nut behind the wheel problem? you never know the truth until you stick a toe in the water.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Chinese copies - 02/23/20 04:31 AM

There's an IDIOT on the site that gave it 5 stars then states he hasn't taken it out of the box or looked at it.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Chinese copies - 02/23/20 02:50 PM

first statement on the description says mechanical secondaries.
then a little farther down, it says progressive secondaries.
er, uh, well ok........ laugh2
beer
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 01:08 PM

Consumers that buy the product and support the market for offshore crap like that are just as much to blame as the people bringing it into the country.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Very scary part is a majority of our medications are made there. That needs to STOP NOW! Think about all the scenarios.....

That's true, but think about what would happen to the price of medications if we brought all the production back to the US. People scream and cry about the cost of meds as it is...

That's the rub with "made in the USA" you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 03:38 PM

It’s funny listening to guys be-itch about others buying imports as they post from there Chinese computers and cell phones. Then they warm up lunch in their Chinese microwave and watch their Chinese 200.00 TV sets. Then they go take a dump in their Chinese toilet and an afternoon nap in their Chinese bed. Hmmmm.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
first statement on the description says mechanical secondaries.
then a little farther down, it says progressive secondaries.
er, uh, well ok........ laugh2
beer

Progressive linkage is common with mechanical secondaries.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
It’s funny listening to guys be-itch about others buying imports as they post from there Chinese computers and cell phones. Then they warm up lunch in their Chinese microwave and watch their Chinese 200.00 TV sets. Then they go take a dump in their Chinese toilet and an afternoon nap in their Chinese bed. Hmmmm.

So please tell me where to buy a non-Chinee cell phone, microwave, or computer??? I'm all ears. (yes - America crapped in it's mess kit years ago when we allowed the Chinee to take over our manufacturing............)

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 09:00 PM

There is a lot of stuff that you just can't buy US made anymore. But it matters to some people and I pay attention. I'll buy a good used US made power tool off of ebay before I buy new Chinese. I fix my old US stuff rather than trash it. US made tools. Some clothes and things are made in Mexico and South America. Canada. Even India, Europe and South East Asia. I even bought a used Honda that was too good of a deal to refuse. I try to only send money to places that aren't obviously plotting to destroy and conquer us, haven't stolen all of the designs and tech, and whose level of acceptable quality isn't complete garbage..

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 09:08 PM

I find it enlightening - with the current flu virus outbreak in China, there are factories shutting down, markets in near panic, people angry that they may not be able to get their new Apple phone or Chinese made crap since the whole country is on lockdown.

How stupid are we to allow ourselves to become so dependent on a hostile foreign country for our cheap manufactured crap? What happens if fan and the flow of China made stuff suddenly stops?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 09:23 PM

May hands are tied and due to rules I can’t say what I want to say here but we better get our act together and start producing our medications in this country today, and I mean today.
Posted By: dIc dOc Deity !

Re: Chinese copies - 02/24/20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
May hands are tied and due to rules I can’t say what I want to say here but we better get our act together and start producing our medications in this country today, and I mean today.

scope ... THX for sharing that with us cBg ... whistling

We know now you like BONDAGE and discipline toooo ? ..... spank.....

....... and yur low on yer meds ... pity .... xmaseek
Posted By: yorker

Re: Chinese copies - 02/25/20 01:48 AM

I think $ 200.00 for that carb is too much. I would think more like 100.00
As far as Medications, I hear they have some great " research " chemicals and Fentanyl.
And, I can get counterfit Shonen Knife Cd's for 20 cents each, beven has a label that looks good.
And if we had american workers building a 60 inch tv for 500, and the chinese one is 20.00 less, you would save your 20,00 and go chinese.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Chinese copies - 02/25/20 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by yorker
I think $ 200.00 for that carb is too much. I would think more like 100.00
As far as Medications, I hear they have some great " research " chemicals and Fentanyl.
And, I can get counterfit Shonen Knife Cd's for 20 cents each, beven has a label that looks good.
And if we had american workers building a 60 inch tv for 500, and the chinese one is 20.00 less, you would save your 20,00 and go chinese.

If the counterfeit CDs don’t work they are worth every penny!
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Chinese copies - 02/25/20 03:35 AM

Knowing how extremely...frugal...the vast majority of Mopar enthusiasts are, I'd bet dollars to donuts more than one member on here either has one on their car or is watching their UPS tracker for it to arrive. I used to joke with friends that if Harbor Freight sold Mopar cylinder heads they'd sell like hotcakes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums