Moparts

Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ?

Posted By: TJP

Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 01:05 AM

My brother just sent me this link. The article states it's illegal to do anything other than minor repairs to your own vehicle. Gotta love the Whacko's running things out there shock down eek popcorn

SEE ARTICLE

COUNTY CODE PAGE
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 01:13 AM

Should be illegal to live in Kalifornika. We should just make it a vacation state with only service workers and farmers... stirthepot
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 01:15 AM

Did AOC move to COMMIEforia ?

THIS sounds like something that would BE LAW after the NEW GREEN DEAL down
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 01:38 AM

Old news
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 01:52 AM

This same topic and thread name has gone 6 pages on FABO. One Mod finally stepped in and started kicking asses and taking names! I look for it to get whacked soon. hammer
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 01:59 AM

Some complete idiots running that state. Problem is it bleeds to the rest of us......think C.A.R.B. down You folks that live out there...PLEASE stop voting for them!!!!!!!
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
My brother just sent me this link. The article states it's illegal to do anything other than minor repairs to your own vehicle. Gotta love the Whacko's running things out there shock down eek popcorn

SEE ARTICLE

COUNTY CODE PAGE

Hate to tell you this Tim but if you live within 3 miles of the omaha city zoning juristiction, you can only wash, wax and change your oil, thats why my garage is on commercial property, they shut all my neighbors down, but not me, they tried, but lost, cost me aome money, I can't paint full paint jobs, only partial, fire dept rules, but everything else is ok, many many police and city inspector calls, and I never made noise after 9pm. Now that my neighborhood is gentrifying, rich guys and gals, I get to tell the city to blank off a lot more. I will also add that NOTHING is grandfathered in like everyone thinks, so if they wanna be a--holes, they can shut you down within 3 miles. There was an auto repair shop less than a mile from here, not on commercial property, built 2 ft to far in city setback, guy fought the city, missed a warning, city leveled the shop and hauled it off in orange city dump trucks. Was a shop for 90 years, and another shop was right across the street, on commercial property, both were block buildings. It is not just California, one bad neighbor that knows the rules, and you are done.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 05:23 AM

I don't do any major repairs in my shop. A major repair would be something that I don't know how to do. Anything that I know how to do is a minor repair and therefore is legal.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Originally Posted by TJP

SEE ARTICLE

COUNTY CODE PAGE

Hate to tell you this Tim but if you live within 3 miles of the omaha city zoning juristiction, you can only wash, wax and change your oil, thats why my garage is on commercial property, they shut all my neighbors down, but not me, they tried, but lost, cost me aome money, I can't paint full paint jobs, only partial, fire dept rules, but everything else is ok, many many police and city inspector calls, and I never made noise after 9pm. Now that my neighborhood is gentrifying, rich guys and gals, I get to tell the city to blank off a lot more. I will also add that NOTHING is grandfathered in like everyone thinks, so if they wanna be a--holes, they can shut you down within 3 miles. There was an auto repair shop less than a mile from here, not on commercial property, built 2 ft to far in city setback, guy fought the city, missed a warning, city leveled the shop and hauled it off in orange city dump trucks. Was a shop for 90 years, and another shop was right across the street, on commercial property, both were block buildings. It is not just California, one bad neighbor that knows the rules, and you are done.

Now that is just plain Nazi right there.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 02:32 PM

The day is coming when it will not only be illegal to work on your own car on your own property, but they will outlaw running them or possessing them at all! The electric car push is on and they are making billions on pushing their green technology, they have no intention of co existing with classic car owners, we will be nothing more than collateral damage, labeled as gross polluters, and not missed by the upcoming generation which has little to no interest in our way of life or our cars.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I don't do any major repairs in my shop. A major repair would be something that I don't know how to do. Anything that I know how to do is a minor repair and therefore is legal.

Thanks!!! Will use that the next time an inspector shows up here. My shop has block fire walls, slugged and rebared, plus cement board for a ceiling. Fire dept has a fit, can't shut me down. In our town all paint, spray cans, thinners, and paint guns must be in a fireproof cabinet too. I always hand them a copy of zoning, codes, and whats allowed here, and then tell them I want to do a ride around and inspect all the neighbors garages, they get pissed and leave. I hear we are getting a new inspector so I am sure the fun will start again.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 02:53 PM

It will be a non issue after that fault line finally lets go and the whole idiot fest drifts out to sea and hopefully sinks.

My other thought is that it sounds like something that should take the Supreme Court about 5 minutes to strike down.
Posted By: srt

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 05:08 PM

Seems they are trying to get rid of commercial operations in residential areas.

Using tools not normally found in a residence;

Conducted on vehicles registered to persons, not currently residing on the lot or parcel;

Conducted outside a fully enclosed garage and resulting in any vehicle being inoperable for a period in excess of twenty-four hours.
(See section 5.2.0.B of the Zoning Code)

Other regulations pertaining to emissions are more akin to stopping things like how people used spent oil to keep driveway dust down.
Common sense and no code problems, seems like to me.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 05:15 PM

This came about due to the influx of immigrants who have no employable skills other than repairing/salvaging cars. The statute (and others like it) were supported by auto repair and dismantling associations who see the home-based repair/dismantling activities as cutting into their bottom line.

As usual, the ordinary citizen falls victim to the statute.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/17/20 07:06 PM

This is just a teaser, the real issue will be with cars being more sophisticated every year, and the OEM's wanting to keep all repairs proprietary, and in house, DIYI repairs/maintenance/mods will become a thing of the past as insurance companies finally step in, and make it a contingency of your policy, ti protect/reduce their liability exposure, and it will all be done under the banner of "safety". eyes
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/18/20 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by chargervert
The day is coming when it will not only be illegal to work on your own car on your own property, but they will outlaw running them or possessing them at all! The electric car push is on and they are making billions on pushing their green technology, they have no intention of co existing with classic car owners, we will be nothing more than collateral damage, labeled as gross polluters, and not missed by the upcoming generation which has little to no interest in our way of life or our cars.

By what metric? These laws being mentioned are local city zoning laws. I hate these things as much as the next poster here, but it isn't end of days here.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/18/20 03:29 AM

I was at city hall a couple years ago and saw a stack of flyers saying it was AGAINST THE LAW to replace a hot water heater?!?!?!?! You're only allowed to paint and change a light bulb now. Wife and I were lucky enough to live in the "good old days" of the 80's and 90's where we bought properties, fixed them up and rented or flipped. That's IMPOSSIBLE now without breaking the law. It wouldn't be cost effective to refurb a property if you had to pay a contractor for everything. This country has gone CRAZY.

I'm redoing my last (of 20+) rental properties.

Attached picture 60357940981__BA7FD71E-D106-47C5-B573-04524101350D.JPG
Attached picture 60357943631__35A52916-3FE3-4FA7-BB36-37A8BD84D3DE.JPG
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/18/20 03:42 AM

Here if it's a gas water heater you need a licensed plumber but if it's electrical you can do it your self.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/18/20 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
This came about due to the influx of immigrants who have no employable skills other than repairing/salvaging cars. The statute (and others like it) were supported by auto repair and dismantling associations who see the home-based repair/dismantling activities as cutting into their bottom line.

I agree, except it's not just immigrants.

If most people were responsible, this wouldn't be an issue.

It's the same with replacing appliances. The few spoil it for the rest of us.

"This is why we can't have nice things"
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/18/20 05:06 AM

I live in a great place, I can kill myself all day shooting old school paint through my old school gun. Being in a farming community everyone has buildings to work in, everyone has a decent level of pride and respect for others and I cant think of one single place that looks trashy. No one tries to keep up with the Joneses. Anything ag related is exempt, the county also feels a project car or two keeps a man at home and honest (as long as it reg. is kept up, the county enjoys that also).

Yea, 35 years ago I lived in a city where as soon as I got the pig out of the rear end, poof they were there, code enforcement, just to let me know the 24 hour rule and also told me if I needed a extra day just roll it across the lot.

There are many places like where I live in our great country, the biggest mystery to me is if so many are unhappy, why not MOVE to a better place?

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/18/20 05:45 AM

Re licensed vs unlicensed or homeowner I do not believe any laws would be impinged if basic construction laws are adhered to.
I know that some municipalities require inspections of components of work and also reserve specific items for licensed workers.
Generally things like connecting appliances to gas lines, tapping municipal water and waste lines and also electrical feed.
I can see the need for that (public and worker safety).
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/18/20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Here if it's a gas water heater you need a licensed plumber but if it's electrical you can do it your self.

IIRC, the stores here won't even sell a gas water heater unless you produce a permit.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
I live in a great place, I can kill myself all day shooting old school paint through my old school gun. Being in a farming community everyone has buildings to work in, everyone has a decent level of pride and respect for others and I cant think of one single place that looks trashy. No one tries to keep up with the Joneses. Anything ag related is exempt, the county also feels a project car or two keeps a man at home and honest (as long as it reg. is kept up, the county enjoys that also).
Yea, 35 years ago I lived in a city where as soon as I got the pig out of the rear end, poof they were there, code enforcement, just to let me know the 24 hour rule and also told me if I needed a extra day just roll it across the lot.[/quote[

There are many places like where I live in our great country, the biggest mystery to me is if so many are unhappy, why not MOVE to a better place?

Really? A SIMPLE answer to a COMPLEX problem" Or is it Run&Hide rather then Stay&Fight

Posted By: therocks

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 12:31 PM

Well just look they protect illegal aliens even if criminals.San fran finds a felon illegal not guilty for killing Kate.Then lets see homeless craping and needles all over the place on streets.But wait citizens that pay taxes cant do anything.But hey the great leaders brag that they are defending loony ideas.Rocky
Posted By: wingman

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 03:04 PM

Sadly, there are many groups who have a vested financial interest in encouraging the average person to be dependent, helpless, and as reliant on others as possible.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 03:22 PM

CorruptopolUSA

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 03:30 PM

Some here need to go to South Africa or Columbia and volunteer for a month. Then come back and the crying may stop.

Were not perfect here, but there is alot worse.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 03:33 PM

According to a lot of news reports....they ARE.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 03:34 PM

Wow....sounds like Utopia! LOL.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 08:04 PM

Some here need to go to South Africa or Columbia and volunteer for a month. Then come back and the crying may stop.

That does not mean that we should settle for being only slightly better than that.
If the tech and entertainment industry were to leave California, the state would be left with the "State" being the biggest employer. Tell me how a state can survive financially when GOVERNMENT is the biggest employer? It is the Governments money ! No, it is the money that the Government skimmed from the working citizens.
They talk of how they are financially sound but rarely do you hear of the huge balloon payment of public employee pension and medical costs that are looming on the horizon. It used to be that a skilled person only took a state job because they were not good enough to make it in the private sector. The generous wage and benefit packages (At taxpayer expense, of course) have made it where the smart and selfish money is in Government work.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/19/20 08:53 PM

People forget that we are the taxpayers, they are supposed to work for us!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 12:43 AM

iagree
Time to vote some of the swamp monsters out of office and vote in more public servants up
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
iagree
Time to vote some of the swamp monsters out of office and vote in more public servants up

A start would be term limits for ALL political offices and end this career corruption. The career politicians get health care like kings, work darn few hours (if any, really) and pat themselves on the back after spending years to pass a law that only affects us law abiding citizens. Like gun laws. I'm not even a gun owner (oops, now I'll get robbed) but crazy politicians want to toughen gun laws?!?! LAWS DONT MATTER TO THE PEOPLE SHOOTING EACH OTHER IN DETROIT. It's a war zone 1 mile south of where I'm standing. https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/2-men-killed-in-shooting-on-detroits-east-side The local news is shooting, shooting, shooting, weather, traffic, car chase, shooting, shooting, good night.

Funny news story while sifting through all the shootings..... Bernie Sanders calls water 'human right,' slams Detroit shutoffs. But I have to actually PAY my water bill. Politicians should pass a law, You have to pay your water bill unless you don't want to. In that case we'll charge the people that do pay more.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
iagree

Since government was first conceived, the addiction to power has ALWAYS resulted in the governments number one unstated priority is simply self preservation, and its often hidden by seductive causes of the moment. Why the public thinks this is a spectator, click on cruise control and forget it experiment, and everything will be OK, is beyond me.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 01:54 AM

My SIL's family were missionaries in SA. My daughter wet there to visit them. Boy was that an eye opener for her and her Dad (me) has been to numerous third world places and had already shared those observations with her. But sometime you have to be there to feel it.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 71TA
calls water 'human right,'

Lots of water fountains in a majority of public places
Posted By: therocks

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 04:02 PM

Who remembers when the high buck politicians were called Public Servants.Yes thats what they are public servants from the lowest public employee to the Prez.But it seems we have lost that concept.We pay them so they can make more than the average person .Let alone many are deaf to the people.Rocky
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 06:01 PM

Back on topic, sure it's "illegal" but I don't see it being enforced very often...usually only when there's a complaint. Use your head and you won't have a complaint filed.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 08:38 PM

Back on topic, sure it's "illegal" but I don't see it being enforced very often...usually only when there's a complaint. Use your head and you won't have a complaint filed.

Usually, unless you have a busybody neighbor or overzealous HOA.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wingman

Or your political persuasion differs, nobody today cuts anybody any slack, it's a dog eat dog world nowadays. eyes
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/20/20 10:06 PM

How are they going to know what you are doing in your own garage with the door down... unless air tools are audible?
Do the HOANazis have the right to search your property too??
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TJP

SEE ARTICLE

COUNTY CODE PAGE

Hmm, can't use tools not normally found in a residence. Does that mean I can't use my overhead crane? What about my brake press? I have an oscilloscope also, wonder what they would say about that? The code nazi would probably call in a swat team if he saw my shop.

Attached picture shop2.JPG

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by DrCharles

How are they going to know what you are doing in your own garage with the door down... unless air tools are audible?
Do the HOANazis have the right to search your property too??

I find it funny that the NAZI term had been adopted as the replacement for busybody or zealot.
It's as if anyone that steps up to "right a wrong" is associated with Hitler.
I just find that funny, that is all, no offense intended.
Back on topic, I think we should be able to do what we want with our cars for the most part. If a guy wants to restore a car in his garage or backyard, why is that a problem? This seems heavy handed though, as if the law is over-reaching. Sure, you don't want to have your neighbors stripping cars in the driveway, Drills, torches and saws cutting up cars.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 02:14 AM

I think this whole topic is funny. What would some here do in a real crisis?

Posted By: Morty426

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jjs72D

That does not mean that we should settle for being only slightly better than that.
If the tech and entertainment industry were to leave California, the state would be left with the "State" being the biggest employer. Tell me how a state can survive financially when GOVERNMENT is the biggest employer? It is the Governments money ! No, it is the money that the Government skimmed from the working citizens.
They talk of how they are financially sound but rarely do you hear of the huge balloon payment of public employee pension and medical costs that are looming on the horizon. It used to be that a skilled person only took a state job because they were not good enough to make it in the private sector. The generous wage and benefit packages (At taxpayer expense, of course) have made it where the smart and selfish money is in Government work.

The largest employer in California is the University System

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 05:17 AM

I find it funny that the NAZI term had been adopted as the replacement for busybody or zealot.

So a car guy is in his closed garage changing a transmission, using a larger floor jack/stands, an example.
Oh No!!!! That's a Major repair using Unusual home tools.
Sure may be a busybody who would consider that a Wrong.
A Wrong: Sure, maybe to them personally. But Not to the other 99.9% nearby.
I can see where "jealousy" can play a part in it.
"He fixes his car for free, while I have to pay dealer rates."

The initial Intent of that law may have had a specific/targeted purpose.
But if not carefully thought out & written; law enforcement takes it to the nth degree.
Then it's Chaos for the "Non-Targeted" (i.e. very mindful home owners)

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 05:24 AM

Like gun laws. I'm not even a gun owner (oops, now I'll get robbed) but crazy politicians want to toughen gun laws?!?! LAWS DONT MATTER TO THE PEOPLE SHOOTING EACH OTHER IN DETROIT.

They will never get It !!!!!
"You Can't Legislate Morality"

Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 05:28 AM

I think this whole topic is funny. What would some here do in a real crisis?

Funny POThead ? .... it’s time for another TEA PARTY tsk

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 11:12 AM

Good one doc, glad to see you posting, After your debate stage like beating in the RW thread I thought youd goto Brazil a week or such.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 12:08 PM

"Things not usually found in a residential garage" - that pretty much describes almost everything in my garage.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jjs72D

I just find that funny, that is all, no offense intended.

The IMO correct "Hitler" connection in this context is that to a very large degree, most of the NAZI policies were quite legal and codified at the time under German law, and the catch is, they were mostly selectively enforced. Why the moniker "rule of law" can mean very little, if norms and societal guardrails are not respected, an example is the OP's observation posted in this thread.

I think my limited comment is not crossing the line regarding posting rules here, and yet important enough for me to make it.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by RWG75
"Things not usually found in a residential garage" .

When I lived in San Jose I just Just happened to be in a very gear-head oriented neighborhood, The above statement would have been a defense in itself as within a 2 block radius there were a lot of garage doors open till midnight or later with music going and wrenches turning. mills, lathes, welders and just about anything else you can think of other than car lifts. wink

In the code the term "Normally" appears, Define normal, it's somewhat of an open ended term and depends on a wide range of variables IMO stirthepot beer

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

When I lived in San Jose I just Just happened to be in a very gear-head oriented neighborhood, The above statement would have been a defense in itself as within a 2 block radius there were a lot of garage doors open till midnight or later with music going and wrenches turning. mills, lathes, welders and just about anything else you can think of other than car lifts. wink

In the code the term "Normally" appears, Define normal, it's somewhat of an open ended term and depends on a wide range of variables IMO stirthepot beer

Vaguely written laws and restrictions are a poor result of our “leaders” efforts. This is very problematic and could very well end up in the higher courts. What a waste of our judiclal system.

A simple argument would be that since business such as Harbor Freight are common, and targeted at everyday citizens, anything they sell is fair game. That’s a good start. At least painting and welding are well covered.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 04:19 PM

This is it, they can use there prop 65.

The city explains that auto repairs can release chemicals harmful to the environment if not handled properly, and that if repairs are allowed on vehicles not owned by the homeowner, it can increase auto traffic in neighborhoods.

23 pages of banned chemicals

https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/proposition-65//p65list010320.pdf

I wonder what some health stats are for cali vs other states.

So in cali I could shoot up and get free needles, steal, sleep anyplace, but yet cant change my own oil.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 04:42 PM

The city explains that auto repairs can release chemicals harmful to the environment if not handled properly, and that if repairs are allowed on vehicles not owned by the homeowner, it can increase auto traffic in neighborhoods.

So in cali I could shoot up and get free needles, steal, sleep anyplace, but yet cant change my own oil.

...and defecate on the sidewalk to proudly display what you made to all who happen by!!! Freedom baby!
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/21/20 05:03 PM

Looks like it's OK to repair vehicles if you DO own them though up

Originally Posted by TJP

Exactly... IANAL but something that vaguely defined would never survive a court challenge. However, that could take years and cost a crapload of money...

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/22/20 08:24 AM

Would be simpler to list those which ARE Allowed; at the rate it's going.

Leather dust == No More Bikers
Diesel engine exhaust == Bye-Bye Truckers
Marijuana smoke == Adios Pot Heads
Mustard Gas == No Kidding!
Nitromethane == Racers Not Wanted Here
Salted fish, Chinese style == Presently Anything Chinese.
Wood dust == Ban all Sanders
L.A. Air == Oh, That's Safe

Yes; because they'll make the assumption that you're not "responsible" enough to be "trusted", unless you prove otherwise. Geez; what happened to Innocent until proved guilty
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/22/20 10:39 AM

Ahh, neighborhood busy bodies. About 10 years ago I built my pole barn and outfitted it with lifts, heat electric etc. So I could store and work on my junk. It matches the house and i keep the ugly stuff in a fence in areas behind it.

One neighbor didn't like it and started calling the zoning board, every 2 weeks, with some sort of complaint. The funniest was the claim i was storing explosives in the building. The inspector came in laughing about that one.

I finally ended it by getting a restraining order by pointing out that some of the things she complained about could only be known by trespassing on my property. I got nothing but 1 finger waves for the next 5 years till she moved to Florida.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/23/20 07:14 PM

It would take years of selling my stuff off to live there and not be a criminal.
Guess i will stay put.
And I would have to ask what is normal for the garages there. I know I am not so even I could not be in it.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/23/20 08:27 PM

What if a huge population of people that live within 50 miles of the pacific ocean were to all drive pre-emission vehicles, use any aerosol, or chemical they chose?
How would the air quality be as it exited the state. The squealing from those down-wind would be deafening.
Give it enough time and down the road the populace of the world may likely say nobody did enough.
I think it actually pretty good that the green philosophy is bringing forth products that are effective and not harmful.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/23/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Ahh, neighborhood busy bodies. About 10 years ago I built my pole barn and outfitted it with lifts, heat electric etc. So I could store and work on my junk. It matches the house and i keep the ugly stuff in a fence in areas behind it.

One neighbor didn't like it and started calling the zoning board, every 2 weeks, with some sort of complaint. The funniest was the claim i was storing explosives in the building. The inspector came in laughing about that one.

I finally ended it by getting a restraining order by pointing out that some of the things she complained about could only be known by trespassing on my property. I got nothing but 1 finger waves for the next 5 years till she moved to Florida.

Respect to you, Sir. I like your spirit.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/24/20 12:56 AM

Wouldn't be any need for this if they enforced illegal immigration laws. FEDERAL laws! WHY are there millions of illegal immigrants in CA? WHY are there ANY sanctuary cities in the US? Who the hell even thought-up "sanctuary" cities in the first place?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/24/20 01:14 AM

"Things not usually found in a residential garage" - that pretty much describes almost everything in my garage.

Perfect - sounds JUST like a government term. Totally open to interpretation by some dweeb city inspector - to their favor of course. And Mr. Potatohead, you know the Europeans settled here because the UK had too many restrictions - life was not freedom there. USA was a free country, with laws & eventually a GREAT constitution as well (although you probably think our constitution is "outdated"), & stupid new laws like the ones discussed in this thread with vague new rules, erodes our freedom every day. You know our forefathers fought & died for these freedoms that made the USA the greatest country in the world. Sounds like you would rather cut & run. You just pi$$ed on their graves.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/24/20 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
WHY are there millions of illegal immigrants in CA?

With two major ports, three international airports a substantial border with Mexico and two mega-metropolitan areas there are lots of places to blend in.
There are several other States with large populations as well. To deal with illegals in any State, start prosecuting the people that knowingly employ illegals. No. More. Problem.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/24/20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by srt

With two major ports, three international airports a substantial border with Mexico and two mega-metropolitan areas there are lots of places to blend in.
There are several other States with large populations as well. To deal with illegals in any State, start prosecuting the people that knowingly employ illegals. No. More. Problem.

There are those whom believe (or act as if) it's 1900 again. The USA is the Manufacturing/Export Powerhouse of the World; with a Big Demand/Need for Labor & it's the Land of Golden Opportunity. All US citizens live like Rockefellows & is a Utopia for all here. So the rest of the world "Follows the yellow brick road to the land of OZ". Mainly because the prevailing consensus is "Once your IN, you won't be deported"

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/24/20 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Originally Posted by srt

There are those whom believe (or act as if) it's 1900 again. The USA is the Manufacturing/Export Powerhouse of the World; with a Big Demand/Need for Labor & it's the Land of Golden Opportunity. All US citizens live like Rockefellows & is a Utopia for all here. So the rest of the world "Follows the yellow brick road to the land of OZ". Mainly because the prevailing consensus is "Once your IN, you won't be deported"

Regarding "1900" all over again, "The California Alien Land Law of 1913 (also known as the Webb–Haney Act) prohibited "aliens ineligible for citizenship" from owning agricultural land or possessing long-term leases over it, but permitted leases lasting up to three years.[1] It affected the Chinese, Indian, Japanese, and Korean immigrant farmers in California." Wiki

The Supreme Court ruled it in violation of the 14th amendment in 1952.

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/24/20 03:43 PM

That may explain the very common postage-stamp strawberry farms that pop up alongside major roads carved out of large ag land tracts.
Posted By: Stroker

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/25/20 06:37 AM

It looks like Sacramento County is a member of ICLEI

Re: Illegal to work on your own car in Sacramento county ? - 02/25/20 04:35 PM

Interesting ICLEI is. I see it's from Headquarters is in Germany. The Country is highly developed and included dispersed towns surrounded by farms and wooded areas. Seems like a very clean and efficient country that recycles in many innovative ways. What I did not expect was the numerous small nuclear plants (7 generating 12% of power needs and 40% comes from coal fired plants).
I have no problem with sustainable development or products. It should be the goal rather than a utopian dream. The way we are exploiting resources (including our (world) debt) it's unsustainable. To throw caution to the wind just kicks the can down the road.
© 2024 Moparts Forums