Moparts

Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool?

Posted By: BradH

Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 02:41 PM

laugh2

EDIT: Apparently I wasn't specific enough about the topic title and my poll got moved out of the intended audience's forum.

I've since tried to delete it, but am unable to because people have responded to the poll.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 03:07 PM

Not often but I have on occasion.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 03:15 PM

Oh yeah . . .how about this . . NOS in the Box . . . .

Attached picture Chrysler boat speedo1.jpg
Attached picture Chrysler boat speedo.jpg
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 03:29 PM

All the time! boogie

Attached picture Zoomie.JPG
Posted By: RobG

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 04:03 PM

I built my car after just buying a 340 6-pack motor.
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 04:09 PM

Yep....I bought a 70 Machine hood scoop w/tach..........later put it on my 69 Buick Sportwagon and it fit perfect - even straddled the hood chrome.
Posted By: Torquemonster440

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 05:04 PM

Pretty much the ONLY reason I buy anything.. grin

Dosen't necessarily mean its cool.. but at least I think it is.. lol.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 07:49 PM

Oh no, not me

No way would my 218 need shiny tappet covers.

Attached picture 20200116_164037.jpg
Posted By: srt

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 07:59 PM

Most recently an in-box nos accessory retractable cigar lighter for a 30's car (hi-performance for the time?) . I don't smoke nor own a pre 60's car. Also bought a Cragar 50th anniversary center cap, only one, never owned cragar wheels. I could go on and on, if I were to include all the heavy metal parts I've bought and sold never used I'd be pounding this keyboard for awhile.
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 09:03 PM

I don't really know if this is "high performance" but I did just put this T handle in my car because I thought it was cool.

Attached picture 20200203_163707-1.jpeg
Posted By: f8-4life

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 09:24 PM

Of course. Who doesn't...
Missed out on a pete Jackson mechanical fuel injection unit for 350 because I didn't want to drive out to get it at 11 at night.
I knew if I didn't get it that night he would change his mind on me, and guess what, the next day it was "gone"/
Posted By: jcc

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 11:38 PM

LCA gussets and 11/16" TR ends.

I don't run the high banks at Daytona.

I should know better. tsk
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/14/20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by StukaJU87
I don't really know if this is "high performance" but I did just put this T handle in my car because I thought it was cool.

Always loved the T Handles! When I was in high school driving my mom's 3 on the tree Nova I screwed a T handle on the shifter. She put up with it and left it there.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/15/20 12:58 AM

I've had 2 or 3 of the Clifford Hyper Pak copy intakes. They suck as an intake, but look really cool.

I still have a "Star Wars" air cleaner off a '67 GS. Pretty cool for a factory piece.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/15/20 03:07 AM

I'm definitely a Category 3 person... my "working on it" tonight was going into my eBarf account and removing about a half dozen items that were on my Watch list. Nothing on it now... bawling

haha
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/15/20 04:10 AM

I once bought an NOS Tuff Wheel, BEFORE I bought a car to install it in. Finally found a car ('71 Duster) a 2 years later...lol!
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/15/20 06:49 AM

Of course! I've bought tachs because I thought they were pretty groovy, or underdash gauges, hell, even the Vacuum Gauge/Economy meters just 'cuz they're neat. I'm guilty of the Hurst T-handle. I had one on the three-speed stick in my Gremlin for quite a while.

Probably the most expensive "hi-perf" item I ever bought was the R4B intake for my 401. I'm sure it's design is dated and performance is limited, but it is sort of legendary among the AMC crowd, so.... what the hell.

I'm currently trying to justify spending $1200 US on a set of very nice but used "Trendsetter" side pipes for an AMC Javelin. My car would look so bad-ass with them, but gosh darnit, that's a lot of scratch.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/15/20 12:55 PM

Thats what the hobby is! Big Accel super coil and yellow wires, aluminum intake when the stock 4bbl intake was best for the engine I had, 2" headers when 1 3/4" would have sufficed ............
Posted By: moparx

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/15/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Oh no, not me

stuff like that follows me home occasionally. good score ! up
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/15/20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by Sniper
Oh no, not me

stuff like that follows me home occasionally. good score ! up
beer

And I haven't even shown the dual 1bbl intake, split exhaust manifolds or high compression aluminum head I got for it. But those are performance purposes, looking cool is just gravy on the biscuit.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/16/20 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by RobG
I built my car after just buying a 340 6-pack motor.

Same here i had the drivetrain 1st
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/16/20 02:19 AM

At least twice a month. You can only imagine what folks will call me or show up to my place with something I totally don’t need but end up buying it anyway. I try not to fill the shelves with the stuff, but it looks soo cool sitting there and makes for some great conversation with friends. 383 crossram intake, R/T Louvered hood insert, NOS gasser polished quick change rearend and about a few more items I’ll probably never use on anything, but is cool just see on the shelves.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Poll: Ever bought something only cuz it was cool? - 02/17/20 02:45 AM

I bought the parts to build a 572 hemi because a Mark iv shebby is so 1984
Posted By: 1970GTX

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/18/20 12:38 AM

I am trying to minimize my parts stash in case I ever have to move again.

BUT, 2 things I couldn't resist were a 66-68 B body 4 speed console top, and an Offy small block low rise dual quad intake.
Posted By: Smoparmike

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/18/20 09:03 AM

I'm buying an Arrow just because I think they were the coolest race car. Bad thing is I had to borrow money for it. Not much self control
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/18/20 03:05 PM

I bought a mint light-weight stamped aluminum dual plug hemi valve cover 'cause it was $5 and I just couldn't pass up garage art for that price !!
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: Poll: Ever bought a HI-PERF CAR PART only cuz it was cool? - 02/18/20 05:35 PM

Heck I still want to run a Predator carb on my Duster, just because.......
Ken
© 2024 Moparts Forums