Moparts

Fiat 500 Abarth question

Posted By: Abodysforever

Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/13/20 10:04 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Fiat 500. I have a opertunity to pick up a 15 500 Abarth. 1.4 turbo. Black red leather guts with a sunroof. Loaded car. 50k miles. 1 owner for 5,000. I want to use it for a daily driver but since it is a Abarth I could have some fun also. Kind of reminds me of my old GLH turbo. And poss get close to 40mpg if I keep my foot out of it.

Posted By: GY3

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/13/20 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Abodysforever
Just wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Fiat 500. I have a opertunity to pick up a 15 500 Abarth. 1.4 turbo. Black red leather guts with a sunroof. Loaded car. 50k miles. 1 owner for 5,000. I was to use it for a daily driver but since it is a Abart I could have some fun also. Kind of reminds me of my old GLH turbo. And poss get close to 40mpg if I keep my foot out of it.

I rode in one a few weekends ago. The ride was ROUGH but the car seemed to be quick and fun.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/13/20 10:39 PM

Had one since new, daily driven and left stock, its been a great little car and a blast on twisty back roads especially. This is the last year it'll be a daily driver though as it'll be replaced in that regard but kept as a weekend summer play toy. Only things that went wrong, coolant tank formed a hairline crack and was replaced under warranty and last year the door handle hinge broke (as they all do, its not if, its when) they corrode and break, but its a $10.00 part. You can help it by spraying oil up in there on both handles though.

The engines are fully forged and can take more boost no problem but the transmission will be on borrowed time. You'll see little plug and play tuners that quote 250whp but its not true, you can get there but you'll need some real bolt ons and a real tune. Oh and parts are VERY expensive, I just bought 5 lug nuts, $85.00. Hoovie garage on youtube needed an axle shaft for his, $600.00. And now that they don't make them for our market anymore I don't see the prices dropping anytime soon.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/14/20 03:03 AM

The one I ran across was extremely slow. It may be fun on the curves, but don't plan on powering through anything.
Posted By: Pkeel

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/14/20 12:22 PM

Grab it. I have a 2015 and it is a blast. I only drive it in the summer here in the northeast, but it is a lot of fun.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/14/20 01:52 PM

I have seen some folks start to use very small cars, like this Fiat and Smartcars in lieu of golf carts at the track.

Biggest issue would be if the trailer can handle the additional weight.
Posted By: RobG

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/14/20 04:00 PM

Unless you are getting a 54" mulching mower deck with that Fiat - I would run away from that POS.
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/19/20 04:13 PM

I have a 500C Abarth as my daily driver. It has been dead-nuts reliable for 45,000 miles. Car is an absolute riot to hoon around in. The exhaust note is crazy, with the whistle from the turbo.nice and tourqey engine. Damn thing makes me laugh out loud everytime I drive it. Good stereo, climate control, leather. Put the top down in the summer and it even does really well in the snow.

Attached picture Abarth rear.jpg
Attached picture Abarth front.jpg
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/20/20 02:46 AM

Re: winter driving. Mine has been through every winter since 2015 and I had it under coated this year for the first time. While up on the lift I had a look under it and was fully expecting to find rust all over the place only to not find a spec! Even the suspension bolts were still like new - everything was like new. Pretty shocked to be honest.....
Posted By: jcc

Re: Fiat 500 Abarth question - 02/20/20 05:23 PM

I was running a local autocross a few years back, and struck up a conversation with a guy running a "500", he made a comment that certain models of the 500 were banned from competing because of a high COG. They do look high, but not sure what the real problem was, if any. His car looked fairly crisp on the circuit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums