Moparts

Returning sears tools

Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 01:45 PM

Hello,

I have finely legitimately (in normal use) broke a craftsman socket; it was real easy to get them replaced, but with all the sears stores closed, where do you go to get a replacement? Do you have to mail them in or something?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 6T6Cuda
Hello,

I have finely legitimately (in normal use) broke a craftsman socket; it was real easy to get them replaced, but with all the sears stores closed, where do you go to get a replacement? Do you have to mail them in or something?

For the aggravation of finding a place to return and whatever else,go buy a new one and you're done, it's only a socket ! twocents
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 02:05 PM

I think you can do that at Lowe's or Ace Hardware.

Lots of folks sell Craftsman tools these day in addition to Sears.

My understanding is that there are not near as many lifetime guarantees these days.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda

My understanding is that there are not near as many lifetime guarantees these days.

I tried exchanging a 20 year old Craftsman screwdriver at Ace. They would only do it with a receipt, which I didn't have.
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 02:55 PM

Local Ace exchanged broken torque wrench no questions asked......
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 03:32 PM

Just replaced a Craftsmen 1/2 drive Ratchet at Lowes with no issues. Easier than the last exchange I had at Sears.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 318 Stroker

I tried exchanging a 20 year old Craftsman screwdriver at Ace. They would only do it with a receipt, which I didn't have.

I have had no issues returning ancient Craftsman tools at my local Ace, they have always been good to me over the last 30 years. It is probably just the Ace you went to, if you have another local to you then go there as long as it is not owned by the same people. twocents
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/13/20 05:13 PM

iagree My local Ace has no problem exchanging busted Craftsman tools. It'd be pretty hard to come up with a receipt since I've been buying (and occasionally breaking) them since the early 1980's wink
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 12:51 PM

Some years ago my store refused to replace a broken Craftsman torque wrench because "it's not a hand tool".

Whut? shruggy

I emailed Sears and they assured me the store would exchange it. They did. Apparently someone got a phone call.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 01:17 PM

There’s a guy on here from Roebuck that should be the Xpert on this topic up
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BSharp
Some years ago my store refused to replace a broken Craftsman torque wrench because "it's not a hand tool".

Whut? shruggy

I emailed Sears and they assured me the store would exchange it. They did. Apparently someone got a phone call.

I clearly remember buying my Sears Craftsman torque wrenches with only a one year warranty , not lifetime

Of course one broke , wouldn’t ratchet anymore

No exchange , out of warranty , however they had those rebuild spring kits behind the counter and one guy was happy to repair it for free
This was only a few years back

Those rebuild kits today are hard to come buy

Only problem I have had returning tools back to Ace Hardware now is them having that same tool or something in stock on the shelve

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 02:37 PM

Well, I called another Ace, and they will exchange it. I'll be going to see them.
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 65pacecar
Just replaced a Craftsmen 1/2 drive Ratchet at Lowes with no issues. Easier than the last exchange I had at Sears.

this

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 03:59 PM

They don’t give repair kits anymore ?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
There’s a guy on here from Roebuck that should be the Xpert on this topic up

haha

Kevin

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 05:04 PM

The Xpert checks in up

So I jsta gotsta know ....

These days - these broken tools .... if it goes first to Ace ... then to Sears ... THEN to Roebuck .... WHERE does it go to from there shruggy
Posted By: moparx

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 05:27 PM

to yOu ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 05:34 PM

I found one of the repair kits on ebay. It was fairly cheap but it was tough to find the one I needed. It was for a older model torque wrench.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 05:51 PM

Fastenal was a dealer for them. Don't know if they still are.

Kevin
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 05:56 PM

I have a 1/2 inch craftsmanTQ wrench that is inacurate, anyone know how to calibrate them?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 06:05 PM

I have a 1/2 inch craftsmanTQ wrench that is inacurate, anyone know how to calibrate them?

Years ago when we had a local Sears store, they sent mine off to be recalibrated. I wonder if any of the places that sell them now have the capability to send them off like that?
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/14/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave

we have a tool repair place in town that re calibrates ours for work and the mechanics ones too
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/15/20 12:20 AM

My local Sears's ability to warranty is a perfect example of why that company is going out of business. If it was anything but a ratchet or a wrench, they were if no help and couldn't care to go a step further. My local Ace had a giant book of every Craftsman part and had it in a few days if not in stock.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/15/20 12:39 AM

Sears was deliberately set up to fail by billionaire corporate raider Eddie Lampert. Look him up, he's a real piece of work.
He sucked all the cash out by selling off the various divisions (including Craftsman) and then letting the understaffed, under-inventoried stores fail and close.
Hopefully Ace won't be another victim of this form of capitalism...
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/15/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
The Xpert checks in up

So I jsta gotsta know ....

These days - these broken tools .... if it goes first to Ace ... then to Sears ... THEN to Roebuck .... WHERE does it go to from there shruggy

In the DUMP, where Sears is today.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/15/20 02:59 AM

Eddie bought Sears when he figured out it was grossly undervalued....they had not priced the appreciation of the prime real estate the company owned properly. Yes he did buy it to sell it off/extract the most $$ he could. Smart or evil?

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/17/20 03:38 PM

Well, I called another Ace, and they will exchange it. I'll be going to see them.

I went to the other Ace, and got my exchange. I can tell you if you want to buy Craftsman, Lowe's is a lot cheaper than Ace. The #2 Phillips screwdriver I exchanged at Ace was 6.99, Same screwdriver at Lowe's was 3.99.

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/17/20 03:49 PM

i use my local ACE for two reasons.
one, it's only three doors away [grin], and two, they routinely run special 1/3 price, or buy this, get "this" free deals on crapsman tools.
beer
Posted By: FM3_1970

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/20/20 03:20 AM

In case anyone wants to know about the various Craftsman warranties, here's the web site:

https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

At CRAFTSMAN, our engineers are constantly introducing new tools and equipment to help you build pride in your projects and work. All of these new products offer the same market-leading warranty coverage as you have come to expect, and we will continue to stand behind every CRAFTSMAN product that was ever made.

Should you have a product that requires repair or replacement under warranty, simply return the product to the original place of purchase for repair or replacement. If you have questions or concerns, call us.

For more details, click on the product family below to locate your product and associated warranty coverage.

wrench
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/20/20 03:51 AM

There's still a Sears store up by where I used to work. I have a set of screwdrivers that were a gift and they've replaced individual screwdrivers 3 times without a receipt. They just ring up the new ones and count the old ones as returns. I tried taking them to the Ace near me, but they only stock full sets.

I was in Menards Monday and they are stocking some Craftsman tools now too.
Posted By: 68_661charger

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/20/20 01:38 PM

Menards sells Craftsman yes but only in sets. If you want to exchange a Craftsman socket or wrench you get a Masterforce which is there lifetime tool. They seem to be good enough quality.

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/20/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by FM3_1970
In case anyone wants to know about the various Craftsman warranties, here's the web site:

https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

At CRAFTSMAN, our engineers are constantly introducing new tools and equipment to help you build pride in your projects and work. All of these new products offer the same market-leading warranty coverage as you have come to expect, and we will continue to stand behind every CRAFTSMAN product that was ever made.

Should you have a product that requires repair or replacement under warranty, simply return the product to the original place of purchase for repair or replacement. If you have questions or concerns, call us.

For more details, click on the product family below to locate your product and associated warranty coverage.

wrench

Well that warranty is a joke... down The store I bought my Craftsman tools from has been bulldozed, and every other Sears store in my area is shuttered.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/20/20 03:39 PM

I took a warranty claim to Ace once. They didn't have the exact item in stock, which surprised me since it was a basic 3/8 drive ratchet, but ordered a replacement and a few days later, swapped it for me.

Another time I broke a 1/4 drive ratchet and my wife called it in to Craftsman directly. They asked for a picture of it for verification and shipped a replacement that arrived within a week.
Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/20/20 05:16 PM

I tried to return a Craftsman screwdriver to my local Ace.

They refused and were almost hateful about it.

Their attitude makes me consider going to anyone else for my future hardware needs.

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/21/20 03:36 PM

makes me wonder seeing all those craftsman vendors at the swaps, how much complaining they would do on replacements.
beer
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Returning sears tools - 02/22/20 10:04 PM

I called Sears 1 800 number and they sent replacement fedex.
As thet still had stock.
That was the ones Lowes did not have.
I was,asked if i had bought them at Sears.
Also Craftsman brand was,sold to Black and Decker so you can go that way too. Call B & D
So Sears issues a credit and then used tgat to pay and send tgem
Lowes in person
ACE in person
B&D in person or phone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums