Moparts

Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car.

Posted By: 62maxwgn

Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/23/20 06:32 PM

February of 1980,traded a 64 Dart 4 dr sedan with a T/A motor and a Government 45 auto for this.Car had 42K original miles,sold new from a dealer 40 mi from me,at that time all it needed was some trim replaced and a good going over .I got a little carried away,pulled the motor ,took off the front end and quit for a while.In early May a UPS driver started pestering me for it about once a week.Finally sold it to him for 5K on a Friday ,he picked it up next day with a tow dolly.About a month later I found it sitting beside an old garage 50 mi east of me with a bunch of junk car's and trucks.It sat there for about a month and disappeared,never saw it again. About ten yrs ago I found his phone number and called him.He told me he sold to someone in Fl as bought from me,never touched it, about three yrs prior to me calling. Car was bucket seat 4 spd,no console and yes,it 14" wheels with hub caps.Look at the hood and you can see what it was. realcrazy

Attached picture Picture 860.jpg
Attached picture Picture 861.jpg
Posted By: MONC

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/23/20 07:07 PM

Hey Bill,
Can't keep em all , but you got a great stable of Mopars still wink

My old RTSE had those same wheel covers on them.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/23/20 09:11 PM

I have had a BUNCH of cars over the years but this is the only one I truly miss. I actually think about it often. It was my first "real" Hemi car. This car was basically my daily driver for several years and it was fun! I ended up trading it for another project car.....

Stan

Attached picture 042 GTX.jpeg
Attached picture 050 GTX.jpg
Attached picture 051 GTX.jpg
Posted By: Dartforforty

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/23/20 09:21 PM

I sold a 68 Satellite Vert factory big block, 4 speed car to a member of this board.
Not knowing the low production numbers on these cars at the time.
Wish I could buy it back.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/23/20 09:28 PM

Not getting rid of but tried buying this Daytona about 25 yrs ago. He wanted $20,000 and I offered him $13,000. I should have made an offer in the middle. It had all the original parts.

Attached picture Daytona.png

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/23/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 70sixpkRT
Not getting rid of but tried buying this Daytona about 25 yrs ago. He wanted $20,000 and I offered him $13,000. I should have made an offer in the middle. It had all the original parts.

Sometimes a fool and his money aren't easily parted ! I did manage to buy my bird for $4200 back in 82,could have had this and passed on it ! shruggy

Attached picture 3dkd.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/23/20 10:51 PM

Ive had a LOT of cars over the years. Only truly miss/regret selling 2 of them

A 1969 Roadrunner hemi 4spd, 99 rallye green. ( im pretty sure this one is still in Wisc )
And my 1st 1969 GTX convertible. ( one in right front this pic) B5 blue with blue/white interior. I brought my oldest daughter home from the hospital in this car.
Ive searched for this one for about the past 2 years with no luck as to where its at today. Last I heard it was in Las Vegas.

Attached picture pairofgtxs.jpg
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 12:22 AM

Someone almost BEGGED ME to buy the Silver Bullet !

I did but it wasn’t even close to what is was back then. It had a max wedge in it ... in pieces ... no interior..., and the quarter panels had been replaced with stock ones with extended tire openings.

I’m sorry I sold it but never would have if it had had the bulged quarters that Addison had originally done ...those were the TRADEMARK of the car.
Posted By: topside

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 01:08 AM

Oh, several come to mind:
73.5 911T
73 Z-28
68 Charger 383/4-speed, red with white interior
71 Duster, orange inside & out
68 Hemi 4-speed Road Runner
Gotta stop now, getting irritated laugh2

But yeah, can't keep 'em all, and at each time I was moving on to something else...
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 01:47 AM

In college I saw a '71 Roadrunner for sale and knew I needed to get that car. When I went back, it was already sold. Fast forward 1 year, and I was delivering bakery products and saw it in a parking lot for sale. I did not have enough money for the asking price, but offered all I had, which was close, and got my dream car. Soon I made the mistake of getting married at such a young age, and ended up "having" to sell the car and my motorcycle. Fast forward a year and a half and I got divorced and spent the next 15 years trying to get my car back. I was one of the lucky ones, he took better care of the car than I would.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 02:16 AM

The top four cars that I wish I never sold were,
1) 69 A12 Superbee
2)70 Road Runner V code
3)70 GTX 440 4 speed
4)71 Barracuda convertible

Honorable mention
68 Charger R / T
70 Charger R / T
69 Charger 500

Attached picture 20180326_162153.jpg
Attached picture 20180911_075324.jpg
Attached picture 20191124_110915.jpg
Attached picture 20190114_195318.jpg
Posted By: jcc

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 02:38 AM

1960 300F, and a 1962 Polara 500 parked at my dad's farm in Mo when I went to college ( downtown Atlanta and they didn't allow cars until Jr year) and lost it in a flood. bawling

Attached picture 62-Polara-500.jpg
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 03:07 AM

Sold and delivered to a guy out in the country around Allentown in about '87. Never seen or heard from again, despite asking around. I'd still like to know where it is.

Attached picture IMG_0332[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0333[1].JPG

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 03:46 AM

If I go back farther (I'm old) these. pity

Attached picture Picture 862.jpg
Attached picture 54D.jpg
Attached picture Picture 858.jpg
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/24/20 04:47 AM

This was in 1984 - a '69 Roadrunner 4-speed with factory air. We bought it out of a guy's garage in Mesa, AZ. - it was covered in blankets. This car was 100% original paint - the trunk floor was shiny - not even any surface rust. The car had 80,000 miles, but could have passed for 5,000 miles. It even drove like it was new. My business partner bought it - it was his "turn" (we alternated buying cars). Anyway, the car was so nice I wanted to buy it from him - he would not sell it to me because I fell in love with the cars - to him they were just money & profit. God this was a nice one!

Attached picture Dicks RR 1.jpg
Attached picture Dicks RR 2.jpg
Attached picture Dicks RR 3.jpg
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/24/20 05:39 AM

Been many years but probably the '70 340 Duster hemi-orange/black interior/auto/buckets/air cond/150 mph speedo.
Bought it for the motor and let the rest go because I had no where to store it. shake_head

Attached picture duster.jpg
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/24/20 05:59 AM

This

Attached picture 192F48FC-80A2-43E1-8F35-5B84750524D5.jpeg
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/24/20 12:43 PM

In around 1977 I found a copper tone, 383, slapstick auto, bucket seat, black hockey stripe 70 model 'Cuda sitting in the back of a used car lot in Jacksonville Florida, he wanted 1500 for it, I talked him down to 1250, it had around 80,000 miles on it and smoked like a freight train out of both exhaust but I bought it anyway. Drove it regularly until it sat while I went on a Med Cruise, came time to get out of the Navy in 79 and I had 3 cars and 2 drivers for the trip home to Texas, because the Cuda was now smoking even worse I put it up for sale on the cork board in our hangar for 1250, guy offered me 1000 about 2 weeks before I was scheduled to get out and I took it, never saw it again and don't know what the guy ever did with it....sure wish I had sold the wife's 6 cyl Camaro and kept the Cuda.... bawling
Posted By: therocks

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 12:58 PM

Scraped m,y 60 Dart vert running and rust free for 35 bucks.Was a D500 car.Only thing I did right was keep the long rams.One I didnt buy was red Cuda vert new.Everything said hemi including vin.Was a 440 car.One other was my 69 Bee was perfect anr ran great.Got a whole 800 for it and laughed that the guy paid me so much.Still have the window sticker . Rocky
Posted By: JF_Moparts

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 05:17 PM

I've never sold a car.

Yes, I may have a problem.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by JF_Moparts
I've never sold a car.

Yes, I may have a problem.
My favorite answer so far.

I have a couple of cars I would like to have back, a 63 Max Wedge car and a 71 Challenger, but what would I have done with them in the meantime and what would I do with them now?

I guess it can be a blessing not to have a big shop/warehouse sometimes.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 10:37 PM

I can't say it was a "mistake", but it would be nice if it was still mine...

One shot of my old A12 RR in my cul-de-sac before I sold it...

Attached picture A12 Road_Runner_B7.jpg

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 10:38 PM

... and pics of it displayed by the current owner at Carlisle last summer.

Attached picture Carlisle 2019_A12_lf.jpg
Attached picture Carlisle 2019_A12_rf.jpg
Attached picture Carlisle 2019_A12_eng.jpg
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 11:33 PM

I'll be the odd man out (again)............

Out of all the cars I've owned, the two I wish I could get back are the '93 Caravan I had not too long ago and the '77 Gran Fury cop car I had back in HS.

I know, I know mini vans are so uncool, but I enjoyed bopping around in mine. This was when they actually looked like a 'mini' van and not just a bubble on wheels. It's always bugged me that I kinda gave up on it when the engine starting giving serious problems. When I had it, it still needed to get smogged to pass inspection and every year that was a fight. Tired of that fight, and it still being almost 5 yrs from no longer needing a smog check, I used it as a trade in for my wife's car (now EX wife). Hind sight being 20/20 and all that, I should have fixed the engine or bought a reman and popped it in. I DID have a chance to get it back as the new owner never registered it in their name and it got towed, the impound yard called me. I was hoping it wouldn't be much worse than when I traded it in, but no such luck. It had been absolutely trashed. It made me sick to my stomach. Then to add insult to injury several months after that, I came across it in a junkyard, picked clean of what few usable parts it had. There are a LOT of junkyards in Houston, what are the chances of me going to the ONE that had my old van? frowwn

With the Gran Fury, no real attachment like my van, but I had it at a time I was just starting to wrench on cars and that was it's downfall. I wish I would have been able to fix it correctly, but instead, I did something wrong trying to sort out the rats nest of a wiring harness left behind from the equipment being ripped out, and the car burned. The fire was limited to the dash, but it was enough for me to pull the drivetrain and junk the rest. None of the cop cars of that body style that I've seen since have been equipped like mine was, especially suspension wise.

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/24/20 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by BradH

Did you get that A12 Road Runner from a guy named Fred from Connecticut? It looks just like my friends old car. If it is the same car,Fred got that car from another friend of mine named Jack. I bought my A12 Superbee from Jack, he sold it to me because he bought that Road Runner.

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 02:28 AM

Bought it in Providence, RI, in 2004... work

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 02:43 AM

That is the same car,Freds parents lived in Connecticut, but he was living in Providence back then. The car had 22,000 original miles on it when Jack bought it. It had a Hemi engine in it at one point. Jack bought the car, but not the Hemi. It had a pretty stout 440 in it. Not too many A12 Road Runner post cars in B7 with a white top and interior. I saw the car when it was stripped to bare metal, it was a super solid car.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

I'll give ya a little help.

A couple decades back I dragged an Imperial out of a boneyard just for the disk brake rear end. Typical estate car that got thrashed, run way low on oil and slid along guard rails. I always dug the fuselage C bodies anyway but this one sucked me in. Long story short I met a guy that was new to old cars, eventually owned a few big barges and moved on to something else. Still friends with him today. A little while after I gutted and crushed the boneyard find he shows up at my house with his 1st one - a 75 Imperial with all the bells and whistles. He made the rookie mistakes of buying it on emotion, doubled his bad investment with having a dealership work on it and had hit the wall. He tossed me the keys and the title and abandoned it in my driveway without even asking me if I wanted it. I later taught him how to turn wrenches on his next couple of finds including a really nice 76 NYer couple.

I had (2) problems with the car he gave me. It was triple white and I've always hated white cars. White is for refrigerators and washing machines. The other thing is it was a 4 door and I've always been more of a 2 door guy. I fixed a few of the problems it still had and spent at least a year trying to sell the thing. I also considered painting it black with a black vinyl top and limo tint windows because that would have been cool [to me]. Job stress, driveway space and not gonna get to it anytime soon led me to slicing it up. The 440 will be going in my Ramcharger soon. I did spend enough time driving his other Imperial that I often wished I had kept this one but apparently not enough to go find another one.

Attached picture MVC-760F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-759F.JPG
Posted By: rbkt65

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 02:11 PM

i have (3)-62 dart,66 fairlane gt 390, 70 gtx w/gator grain top.62 ugly only a mother could love-66 fairlane 383 eater- 70 gtx-hauled trunk and backseat full of coors light from kansas to ill. oh the memories are just too good sometimes.

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by RWG75

A couple decades back I dragged an Imperial out of a boneyard just for the disk brake rear end. Typical estate car that got thrashed, run way low on oil and slid along guard rails. I always dug the fuselage C bodies anyway but this one sucked me in. Long story short I met a guy that was new to old cars, eventually owned a few big barges and moved on to something else. Still friends with him today. A little while after I gutted and crushed the boneyard find he shows up at my house with his 1st one - a 75 Imperial with all the bells and whistles. He made the rookie mistakes of buying it on emotion, doubled his bad investment with having a dealership work on it and had hit the wall. He tossed me the keys and the title and abandoned it in my driveway without even asking me if I wanted it. I later taught him how to turn wrenches on his next couple of finds including a really nice 76 NYer couple.

I had (2) problems with the car he gave me. It was triple white and I've always hated white cars. White is for refrigerators and washing machines. The other thing is it was a 4 door and I've always been more of a 2 door guy. I fixed a few of the problems it still had and spent at least a year trying to sell the thing. I also considered painting it black with a black vinyl top and limo tint windows because that would have been cool [to me]. Job stress, driveway space and not gonna get to it anytime soon led me to slicing it up. The 440 will be going in my Ramcharger soon. I did spend enough time driving his other Imperial that I often wished I had kept this one but apparently not enough to go find another one.

Had one of those too,most comfortable of all I owned,the wagon would come in second but the driver made it all good !! grin

Attached picture Picture 857.jpg
Attached picture Picture 843.jpg
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by RWG75

Oh man, the engine currently in my wagon came out of a '77 NY'er, white with a tan top and interior. It rode/drove just fine (I drove it about 6 months), but the car had been wrecked early in its life poorly fixed and put back on the road. The wheelbase was over an inch shorter on the passenger side and the overall body was a little shorter on that side too. Hard to describe and I never took a pic of it, but the frame was still tweaked from the wreck, and it became even more obvious after I pulled the engine. To this day I have yet to rebuild the 440, and its always had a weird vibration at certain rpm's that I wonder if it was somehow caused by the wreck.

No regrets of parting it out though..........
Posted By: moparx

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 04:03 PM

that triple white imperial reminded me of the 1990, K car imperial my wife had for a while.
that thing ran great, and for a K car, it had a very nice ride [after i got rid of the air suspension in the rear, converted over to standard k car stuff].
at that time, i was flipping auction cars, so on a whim, i listed it for a hefty [at the time] price. a guy showed up, fell in love with it, and off it went with a super happy new owner.
my wife however, was not so happy..........
i was in the doghouse until her ride was replaced with something else [quickly !]
beer
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/25/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by BradH

OK, that is SHARP! Never been a big fan of B7, but the white interior & top really make it pop! WOW.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/26/20 06:12 AM

Sorry, this is a non Mopar, but back in 1979, i was introduced by a mutual friend to Jerry Hansen, then owner of Brainerd International Raceway. (and got to meet his little blonde 5 year old by the name of Courtney) I ended up buying his 67 GTO convert that he had received in lieu of a debt that he was owed. The car had a 400, 4 speed, cam, dual AFB's, and headers, and custom paint with pinstriped flames. It also had angel fur on the dash, side pipe exhaust, big meats on keystones that hung out way past the wheel wells, and some other goofy stuff. I did some work on it, de-uglified it, and turned it into mostly a pretty nice driver.
After about a year, I made a deal to buy another car that I wanted really bad, but it needed restoration, and would have to go into my 1 car garage. I really loved the GTO but living in the crime infested city at the time, I didn't want to leave it sitting outside. So I put it up for sale. I had paid Jerry $1200 for it, and after doing the work, I asked $1800 for it. No one wanted it, and it took over a month to find a buyer. He was a very nice young man who had just moved to the city from the reservation. And he could only buy it if I would take payments, which I agreed to do as long as I kept the car and the title until it was fully paid for. After a month or 2, he got it paid off. When he came to get it, he said he worked at a shingle factory, and if I ever needed any shingles, just ask and I could have a the seconds I wanted for free.

So a few weeks later, I decided I'd reroof my house and tried phoning him for the free shingles, but the # was disconnected. So I drove to his address at an apartment building. There was the GTO in the parking lot, all bashed to hell! Both front corners were smashed, both rear quarters were caved in like he fishtailed into poles or something, the doors were all smashed, windshield broke. Obviously, he had just taken out out and gone wild. mad I was sick about it and way to angry to go knock on his door, even tho it meant no free shingles.
To this day, I sorely regret selling that car, and wish I still had it.

Attached picture 67 goat.jpg
Attached picture gto 2.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting lid of a car. - 01/26/20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 62maxwgn

Had one of those too,most comfortable of all I owned,the wagon would come in second but the driver made it all good !! grin

An early 70 T & C was on my bucket list for many years. I mean if yer gonna have a wagon, have a big one.

Since ya dug that one, here's his next one. 76 NYer 400 ELB estate sale. Showing him how to fix the rear brake lock up cured him of trusting "professional" mechanics. Fixing the TQ after it had been de-lean-burned badly was probably throwing him in the deep end without water wings but it all worked out. I saved the wire harness from the bony yard Imp and we added power door locks to this one. My fondest memory of that project was how astonished he was that they were standard - because it's a long damn reach across that front seat.

He drove the hell out of it for at least 5 years and I seriously considered buying it but still not my color and still didn't have "enough" garages. Ok, kinda wondering in to the next thread of "biggest regret about a car you didn't buy". The connection thread is he paid roughly the same money for this one as the white one.

Attached picture eb4.jpg
Attached picture eb9.jpg
Attached picture eb6.jpg
Posted By: 1970GTX

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/27/20 02:49 AM

I wish I would have kept this one.

Didn't have the room for it.

66 Coronet 500
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/27/20 04:06 PM

My first car was a 66 Coronet 500 with a 361 BB. It was the only big block car that ever owned.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/28/20 01:17 PM

I sold my 1966 Hemi Dodge Charger for $3500 in 1977. Back then it was a good price.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/28/20 01:23 PM

I sold this one in 2013. I should have kept it!!

Attached picture Savoy 38 (2018_12_14 13_11_46 UTC).JPG
Attached picture Savoy 42 (2018_12_14 13_11_46 UTC).JPG
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/28/20 02:35 PM

This one

Attached picture 6D8120F3-A054-481D-B3F3-9F9F4500AFB6.jpeg
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/28/20 11:42 PM

Had a lot of Mopars over the years and would love to have any one of them back but the one I most regret selling was my '67 GTX, LL1 Dark Turquoise, black interior, & a 4 gear back in '81. Had just been repainted when I got it. Had it less than a year and a friend stopped by who had just sold his Challenger. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse but have often wished I had. wink

Tim
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Biggest mistake/regret you ever made getting rid of a car. - 01/29/20 02:57 AM

I wish I didn’t sell both my 70 Bees. The purple one was a white interior White painted top console automatic air car. The sublime car was a bench seat 4speed ramcharger. I would’ve kept them if I had the room. Not a Mopar, but The only car I ever ordered was my 1991 Mustang LX hatchback. Took it to the track with just 47 miles on it. Had the 5.0 and my Bee for a while.
KID

Attached picture 08616A5F-6CC9-4E00-95D9-2F1C27E3B292.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums